Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Their changing magic with basically every build so I don't blame them for keeping to generalities. You know grogs would rage if they released some specifics and then changed them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

DiHK posted:

Reduce my previous scores by -2.

I've added pike and shot to my wish list.Oh it's on iOS too, wonder if it will run on my old piece of junk...

Be advised that the game is published by mega-grogs Slitherine, which means that the next sale is probably going to be like 10% off next Christmas, if that. Grognard publishers have a lot in common with Games Workshop, see, and believe that their niche is so small that they HAVE to charge as much as they can out of the limited audience willing to put up with their poo poo because there aren't enough customers out there to actually make them a profit if they reduce their prices even temporarily. Until recently they thought Steam was going to be a passing fad and that any sign of small niches proving explosively popular on Steam didn't apply to wargames because reasons.

Unlike Games Workshop they're very slowly getting better about this, but they're still super-conservative when it comes to sales so if you intend to pick it up now is probably going to be about as good a time as any, assuming your wallet can handle it. It won't be getting much cheaper, and the next sale will probably take the better part of a year to show up.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
Is Mark of Chaos worth playing? I can't seem to find this game on any online game store dammit.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Tomn posted:

Be advised that the game is published by mega-grogs Slitherine, which means that the next sale is probably going to be like 10% off next Christmas, if that. Grognard publishers have a lot in common with Games Workshop, see, and believe that their niche is so small that they HAVE to charge as much as they can out of the limited audience willing to put up with their poo poo because there aren't enough customers out there to actually make them a profit if they reduce their prices even temporarily. Until recently they thought Steam was going to be a passing fad and that any sign of small niches proving explosively popular on Steam didn't apply to wargames because reasons.

Unlike Games Workshop they're very slowly getting better about this, but they're still super-conservative when it comes to sales so if you intend to pick it up now is probably going to be about as good a time as any, assuming your wallet can handle it. It won't be getting much cheaper, and the next sale will probably take the better part of a year to show up.

Although they were pretty cool about offering a discount on campaigns to owners of Pike and Shot.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

xthetenth posted:

Thanks Tzeentch.

But seriously its a goddamned minor miracle that this game got made.

May as well praise Bird/Mollusc-God if anything!

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Neeber posted:

Does the GMG pre-order include the Chaos DLC? I'm not seeing it explicitly mentioned on the site's game description.

I see it as the very first thing mentioned in the description... are you using your phone?

Cheshire Puss
Sep 14, 2007

Only the insane equate pain with success.

theDOWmustflow posted:

Is Mark of Chaos worth playing? I can't seem to find this game on any online game store dammit.

I personally consider it a pretty awful waste of time, with a fantastic opening FMV.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

theDOWmustflow posted:

I've played far worse games, but it's not remotely worth the giant pain in the rear end involved in finding, installing, and patching it at this point. I'm saying that as someone who already owns both games on disc, mind.

Just wait six weeks, seriously.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Gejnor posted:

But seriously its a goddamned minor miracle that this game got made.

May as well praise Bird/Mollusc-God if anything!

This game got made because The Lord of the Rings said no.

After that, Total Warhammer was an inevitable no-brainer from all parties.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Mark of Chaos isn't very good. The game mechanics were just too dumb. No friendly fire from missile units, no morale, you could disengage units from melee without worry, and heroes would get into these very tedious "duels" which was just button-mashing for minutes on end. You also controlled relatively few units. It is a really simplistic game. That said, it looked cool.

Lassitude fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 10, 2016

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

The best WHFB experience on PC is still Dark Omen. I imagine GOG has something in the pipeline, they already did its prequel Shadow of the Horned Rat.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

It's crazy that Dark Omen has better gameplay than Mark of Chaos. The latter is essentially trying to be the same game as Dark Omen in a sense, only for whatever reason it's greatly simplified. If they'd have just copied Dark Omen's mechanics 1:1, Mark of Chaos would have been much better. Although Dark Omen's campaign was far better too, which still sets it above.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

It's a shame VCs in TW:W don't have siege units, I think I'd actually pay for a mod that ported over the Screaming Skull catapult sound from Dark Omen.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I never got very far in Dark Omen and never played Shadow of the Horned Rat while older than 14. I remember playing the first village map with undead a lot and having to burn down a specific building to get a tome for my mage, but the game is from a time where roguelike elements were big any loss of a regiment was permanent. Save scumming is kind of a requirement of those games but I should definitely pick it up again if GoG puts out a new version.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Vlex posted:

It's a shame VCs in TW:W don't have siege units, I think I'd actually pay for a mod that ported over the Screaming Skull catapult sound from Dark Omen.

Well, war machines, but they have a lot of monsters. If you want war machines, the only real option is Empire.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

wiegieman posted:

Well, war machines, but they have a lot of monsters. If you want war machines, the only real option is Empire.

Regardless it is a moot point, since the SS catapult is now a Tomb Kings unit since they split the generic 'Undead' faction.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Whatever happened to the Empire's War Wagon? It was one of my favorite units to use even though it usually accomplished very little. The idea of it was just hilariously fun.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

wiegieman posted:

Yeah, the Dwarfs are well known for the contempt with which they view Warmachines.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Rygar201 posted:

Yeah, the Dwarfs are well known for the contempt with which they view Warmachines.

You joke, but your average dwarf will take his several 100 year old axe over one of those fancy gyrocopters any day of the week.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Stephen9001 posted:

You joke, but your average dwarf will take his several 100 year old axe over one of those fancy gyrocopters any day of the week.

Right, but his grandpappy's Grudge Thrower and/or Bolt Throwers are treasured heirlooms and proven to slay greenskins by the score!

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Lassitude posted:

It's crazy that Dark Omen has better gameplay than Mark of Chaos. The latter is essentially trying to be the same game as Dark Omen in a sense, only for whatever reason it's greatly simplified. If they'd have just copied Dark Omen's mechanics 1:1, Mark of Chaos would have been much better. Although Dark Omen's campaign was far better too, which still sets it above.

The voice acting and characters of Dark Omen were bloody fantastic for its time and they still hold up to this day. Only bummer is notNagash (such a weird thing too).

Funny I remember Dark Omen being on the game stores demo/open computer (or PS1?) for quite a while.

Mark of Chaos was quite the disappointment, and could never measure up to the... chunkiness (so satisfying) of the sprite-meets-cannon/fire-ball special effects of Dark Omen.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 10, 2016

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Demiurge4 posted:

I never got very far in Dark Omen and never played Shadow of the Horned Rat while older than 14. I remember playing the first village map with undead a lot and having to burn down a specific building to get a tome for my mage, but the game is from a time where roguelike elements were big any loss of a regiment was permanent. Save scumming is kind of a requirement of those games but I should definitely pick it up again if GoG puts out a new version.

Shadows of the Horned Rat and Dark Omen both have the same issue. If you don't win battles overwhelmingly then you will slowly get ground down over time. So it's never enough to even win the battles and not lose any units, you have to win the battles and not even lose many guys either. And not having any kind of pause and your own unit AI being hard to deal with really hurts too. I can never play either game because of the no pause. I just can't click and react that fast.

Mark of chaos on the other hand was simplified and easy as poo poo. It was kind of fun just to blow through it but you want to murder all the protagonists about halfway through any campaign.

Washout fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 10, 2016

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

I'm actually annoyed that they're going with ranged units over war machines for Dwarfs. I think the only big weapon CA showed off was the catapults.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

wiegieman posted:

I'm actually annoyed that they're going with ranged units over war machines for Dwarfs. I think the only big weapon CA showed off was the catapults.

They get organ guns, flame cannons, and regular cannons too. I'm just disappointed that I don't get a screaming skull catapult for vampires, those things were awesome in tabletop. Also no skeletal archers wtf.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

wiegieman posted:

Dwarfs get more artillery units than all the other factions, what are you talking about?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

I know they get lots of stuff in tabletop, I'm just under the impression that they are more unit based in TWW. If I'm wrong, great.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

wiegieman posted:

I know they get lots of stuff in tabletop, I'm just under the impression that they are more unit based in TWW. If I'm wrong, great.

Dude.

Literally the second battle video and first playable demo they put out for this game was a battle showing off the Dwarves and giving them a bunch of artillery. Like for months and months one of the few things known about this game was that Dwarves had flame cannons and organ guns.

In any case, the full rosters for all the main races have been out for a while, you can access them on the official wiki

http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Total_War_WARHAMMER

IIRC the only units Dwarves don't get from TT is Rangers and Runelords/anvil of doom. (They do have Runesmiths, though.)

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Washout posted:

They get organ guns, flame cannons, and regular cannons too. I'm just disappointed that I don't get a screaming skull catapult for vampires, those things were awesome in tabletop. Also no skeletal archers wtf.

As said above, skullapults are Tomb Kings only. And Vampire Counts lost skeleton archers in the later editions. They became a primarily melee army, with their only ranged firepower coming from spells.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Everyone complaining about the VC roster lacking the screaming skull catapult, y'all know that's been the case since like 6th Edition right?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I want to play all of these factions so much. Gunlines galore, halberds vs monsters, and the VC's whole...everything. I cannot loving wait.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Making a skeletal archer would be extremely easy, and I'll do it if/when the PFM gets updated for goon consumption.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Turning the Empire into a barren wasteland via massive Beastmen hordes was really neat in the CK2 mod, and I hope some day I will be able to do this in a TW game.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

While there's no word on Beastmen yet, that's exactly what you get to do as the Warriors of Chaos. They're a playable faction if you preorder, or they'll be available as DLC after release.

E: Sorry for repeating old news, but it looks like we've got a few newcomers to the thread.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

I'm really curious how many Hellcannonscocks :gizz: I'll be able field in my doomstacks.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
Still kind of a bummer that Chaos is going to be DLC and not just in the game at the start. Weird decision considering their importance. In any case, it seems like DLC packs will probably be less frequent for TW:W than nation packs for CA's previous games. Greek nations or the Otomo really don't have major differences in how they play in their respective games, after all. I do wonder which factions will be slated to be released first

Either way, I'm looking forward to playing the Empire!

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I'm looking forward to the Greenskins because previous TW games weren't very geared toward rampaging barbarian armies with the exception of Augustus and Attila. Now make the raiding army the strongest unit-for-unit in the game and we've got something.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Shumagorath posted:

I'm looking forward to the Greenskins because previous TW games weren't very geared toward rampaging barbarian armies with the exception of Augustus and Attila. Now make the raiding army the strongest unit-for-unit in the game and we've got something.

I dunno, I'm worried potentially about how we'll fare up vs Chaos as Greenskins.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

theDOWmustflow posted:

Pretty boring especially as a followup to Dark Omen and Shadow of the Horned Rat (both of which fuckin' OWN but also hard as balls)

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Dandywalken posted:

I dunno, I'm worried potentially about how we'll fare up vs Chaos as Greenskins.

Why? Big 'uns should be able to go toe-to-toe with Warriors, Greenskins actually have ranged units that would also be fairly decent in melee, they have missile cav (always a pain in Total War), they can match Chaos monster for monster, and at this moment Fanatics are on the roster :orks101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Our lack of anti-cav options is what sorta makes me pause. Goblins aside, that is. Do we know what Savage Orcs get as weapons? Or is it just that one Goblin subtype with spears.

• Locked thread