Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Speedball posted:

This takes place after Borderlands 2 and everything else so Helios is still up in all versions of those games.

It's weird that Telltale was allowed to be the ones to make the game that destroys Helios. Amazing, though. That thing was such a fixture in the setting.

He was asking if it was still in the sky during the flash forwards to the stranger in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
So i guess the stranger is the one from the bandit duo after all, whatshisname with the tiny beard. The bot trasher.

Too bad. I miss my Greaseface theory.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

HenryEx posted:

So i guess the stranger is the one from the bandit duo after all, whatshisname with the tiny beard. The bot trasher.

I dunno, he seems too... patient to be one of those two. Plus the stranger doesn't seem to have any animosity towards our duo, he's just been treating them as means to an end.

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

HenryEx posted:

Did anyone else notice that guy has an augmented chin with a button on it?? what does the button do. does it make the mustache bigger and smaller??? I gotta know

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Panzer Skank posted:

Did anyone else notice that guy has an augmented chin with a button on it?? what does the button do. does it make the mustache bigger and smaller??? I gotta know
It lets his mustache cycle through various styles. Business, party, trucker, Kenny from The Walking Dead, funeral/respectful, goatee, circus clown, abomination to hair everywhere.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Hostile V posted:

It lets his mustache cycle through various styles. [...] abomination to hair everywhere.

Why did you list other options when this one made them all redundant? :confused:

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
In retrospect I think that it's a bunch of comparative nobodies that actually 'blow up' Helios is odd, considering that the Vault Hunters where apparently planning on going to do that around the time of the Bunkers and Badasses game with Tina wrapped up and then just...never got around to it between the end of the BL2 DLC and 'current events'.

The time frame is weird, the nearest I can figure out is that the events of Tales are occurring around roughly the same point in time as Athena telling her story at Sanctuary. Lilith is being a bitch running the Crimson Raiders, Mordecai and Brick are working for her, Gaige and Axton are off capturing Aurelia off-world, Zer0 seems to be hunting for the Vault of the Traveler/investigating the Gortys Project on his own.

That means that Maya, Salvador, and Krieg are unaccounted for right this second. Also Claptrap and Fake!Jack, I guess.

The idea of Helios slooooowly falling out of the sky while Athena rambles and none of the Vault Hunters present noticing it is pretty funny, though.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I really like the idea of the vault hunters finishing up their game of B&B, Maya walks in all "u guys wanna assault a hyperion moon base?", they all hoot and holler and grab their gear, step outside and it's just raining hellfire from the skies because some rando employee beat them to the punch

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Not that weird - Fiona is a vault hunter in her own right, complete with an F skill.
Plus, y'know, being a Vault Hunter kinda lost its meaning when they let Claptrap in.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Kaubocks posted:

I really like the idea of the vault hunters finishing up their game of B&B, Maya walks in all "u guys wanna assault a hyperion moon base?", they all hoot and holler and grab their gear, step outside and it's just raining hellfire from the skies because some rando employee beat them to the punch

If only she would get hit by an atmosphere-heated Butt Stallion.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

anilEhilated posted:

Not that weird - Fiona is a vault hunter in her own right, complete with an F skill.
Plus, y'know, being a Vault Hunter kinda lost its meaning when they let Claptrap in.

...Would her F skill be the weird precognition thing that she can do or the Roshambo sleeve pistol she's got?

Maybe the pistol would be one of those skills that alters Fight For Your Life or something.

EDIT: Also Helios falling out of the sky is totally Rhys' fault, Fiona barely had anything to do with it.

Strayed
Mar 3, 2013

Crasical posted:

That means that Maya, Salvador, and Krieg are unaccounted for right this second. Also Claptrap and Fake!Jack, I guess.

I never played with the Fake!Jake DLC but isn't he the same doppelganger the vault hunters in BL2 killed in Opportunity so they could get his voice changer? Or was that a different guy?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Edmond Dantes posted:

If only she would get hit by an atmosphere-heated Butt Stallion.

Lilith is the one we want to die horribly. Maya's chill.

EDIT: /\ they kill several in BL2. No idea if one is the same guy or not.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Strayed posted:

I never played with the Fake!Jake DLC but isn't he the same doppelganger the vault hunters in BL2 killed in Opportunity so they could get his voice changer? Or was that a different guy?

Nah, that was a guy with a voice changer, Timothy's was built in.

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Strayed posted:

Different guy ! Jack had several doppelgängers

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Fake Jack is unaccounted for. If he's stuck looking like Jack he's probably laying low.

He had some of the coolest skills, I swear. Compound Interest made enemies explode if you shot them with two different weapons, another skill buffed his attack for every bit of money he picked up, he had a grenade spam skill that have him free grenades....

Strayed
Mar 3, 2013
Huh, well I've been thinking about picking up the Handsome Collection so I'll have to give him a try when I do. Sounds fun.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Fake Jack's name is Timothy Lawrence and nobody has any loving clue where he is. I was really hoping he was going to turn out to be the Stranger but he's not.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
I'd rate Timothy and Krieg as the playable vault hunters most likely to fall off the franchise and not be referenced ever again. Maya's a Siren and that has plot relevance enough that it'd be hard to write her out smoothly, and along with Salvador was one of the four core vault hunters in BL2. Fake!Jack looks like Jack and that incidentally paints a gigantic target on him so it's far too plausible that he got shot in the butt and died in a misunderstanding somewhere. Only Aurelia and Athena even know who he is, at this point.

Krieg I rate disappearing because he's another DLC character, essentially a random-rear end friendly bandit and it doesn't seem like there's any way for the other Vault Hunters to figure out what his actual deal is.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Krieg is WAY too popular to disappear without fan outrage.

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Crasical posted:

Krieg I rate disappearing because he's another DLC character, essentially a random-rear end friendly bandit and it doesn't seem like there's any way for the other Vault Hunters to figure out what his actual deal is.

i cant loving believe you would talk about my best friend craig like this!! I'm calling the cops youre going to jail

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Fiona for Borderlands 3

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Waffleman_ posted:

Fiona for Borderlands 3

Let me tell you about my "Rhys is a Siren theory"

No he's not, why would you even think that.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
As someone who didn't play BL2 but did play Lilith all through BL1, why does no one like her any more?

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

1stGear posted:

As someone who didn't play BL2 but did play Lilith all through BL1, why does no one like her any more?

Quotin me and kaubocks from a long while back ago in this thread when it came up before

Kaubocks posted:

chronological reasons why Lilith is loving terrible:

- in borderlands the pre sequel she has a perfect opportunity to KILL HANDSOME JACK but DOESN'T, instead just tries to be cool and blows up his vault prize literally in his face. this is the catalyst that pushes him over to "we're going set Pandora on fire" territory.
- in borderlands 2, angel basically says "everyone come to the bunker EXCEPT YOU, LILITH". as long as Lilith DOES NOT SHOW UP, the vault hunters gain a huge advantage over Jack. the vault hunters go to the bunker and kill the siren he was keeping to charge the vault key to access the Warrior, but since Lilith refuses to play it cool she shows up and he captures her, allowing him to continue his plans.
- in tales from the borderlands, she has officially interfered by wanting to interrogate Athena. she has taken Athena away from our group and given Vallory power over us.
- at the end of the pre sequel, Lilith has heard enough of Athena's story and blames everything (Jack rising to power and several of her friends dying) on Athena even though it's literally all her own loving fault. the only reason Athena is not killed by firing squad is because an alien steps in and intervenes.

gently caress Lilith

EDIT: I ain't give a fuuUUUCK about mainline spoilers when it comes to Lilith because she sucks so hard

Panzer Skank posted:

lmao aight well i'm also gonna add that in the beginning of pre-sequel you run into her in a bar and beg her for help to save the citizens of the moon and her response is "lmao gently caress off i'm on vaca and im dancing!!!!"
she's the shittiest hero and i hate her

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

CuwiKhons posted:

Krieg is WAY too popular to disappear without fan outrage.

I'm having a blast playing as him I just don't think the writers know how to use him once he's moved away from the part of the story where they can use him as a viewpoint character and he might get shelved because of that.

Also Lilith seems to be getting just a touch of the 'I'm the hero of this story' syndrome that worked out super well for Handsome Jack. Athena had reasons for doing what she did? She had her own story? gently caress that, I'm the protagonist, and in MY story you're the bad guy, so you get executed by firing squad.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Edmond Dantes posted:

Let me tell you about my "Rhys is a Siren theory"

this is compelling evidence and I wish to hear more

Crasical posted:

Also Lilith seems to be getting just a touch of the 'I'm the hero of this story' syndrome that worked out super well for Handsome Jack.

I just want to say I never made this connection before and I really like it and I hope in BL3 we get to dunk on Lilith somehow

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Fiona's action skill is totally her elemental derringer. Time slows down and you can take just one very powerful shot. Passive skills include money healing you.

Gaige in a Tales of Borderland game could be really funny. I imagine how to depict her using Anarchy mode is her robot arm starts glowing red and supercharging her bullets, but it also starts shaking like a paint mixer.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I'm not sure there's any good way to implement a slow down mechanic in a game that's fundamentally coop. The other players would have to be effected by the slowdown, whether that would mean slowing down themselves or seeing all the enemies slow down. I'm also not sure I'd like to see Fiona as a playable Vault Hunter. I kind of like Fiona as somebody who isn't an unstoppable murderhobo.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

CuwiKhons posted:

I'm not sure there's any good way to implement a slow down mechanic in a game that's fundamentally coop.

It's actually possible to do! In Payday 2 if a teammate goes down, they experience the world in slow motion for just a moment while everyone else plays at regular speed. I'm not entirely sure how they accomplish this but the precedent is there if they limited the slowdown to very short instances of use.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Panzer Skank posted:

Quotin me and kaubocks from a long while back ago in this thread when it came up before

dang lilith why you gotta be such a jerk

CuwiKhons posted:

I kind of like Fiona as somebody who isn't an unstoppable murderhobo.

I really like how the mainline Vault Hunters have been presented in TftB: basically unstoppable demigods that mere mortals like our trash family can only run from.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
...So if our little group of misfits is our new pandoran trash family would Rhys and Sasha getting together become weird?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Crasical posted:

...So if our little group of misfits is our new pandoran trash family would Rhys and Sasha getting together become weird?

It'd just make them officially a family.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Went back through some of the earlier episodes of this LP I missed. I love your introduction to Shade. "He's really loving weird!"

Shade was one of my favorite NPCs. That said, what the gently caress was he doing "sleeping" in his own display case? Clearly, he was not in the least bit insane.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Shade was weird as hell, but that can be chalked up to dehydration. I love it when you find the caverns below Oasis.

"It's a good thing no one in Oasis is dying of thirst -- otherwise, the sight of that enormous spring might fill me with a tragic rage! Hahahahahahhahahahah!"

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Speedball posted:

Fiona's action skill is totally her elemental derringer. Time slows down and you can take just one very powerful shot. Passive skills include money healing you.

Gaige in a Tales of Borderland game could be really funny. I imagine how to depict her using Anarchy mode is her robot arm starts glowing red and supercharging her bullets, but it also starts shaking like a paint mixer.

Its her battle precog and elemental shot.
The way id see it is that the skill would highlight crit areas and elemental weaknesses, and hitting a crit spot with a weakness element while in the skill does massively increased damage.

Her derringer would be her alt melee on a cooldown.

And a passive would increase your damage if you keep not missing. Id see her as the anti-Gaige but with just as much damage potential.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 11, 2016

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Kaubocks posted:

It's actually possible to do! In Payday 2 if a teammate goes down, they experience the world in slow motion for just a moment while everyone else plays at regular speed. I'm not entirely sure how they accomplish this but the precedent is there if they limited the slowdown to very short instances of use.

It works because the desync in that game is already terrible!

(I love Payday 2)

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Since I love you guys, here's your regularly scheduled Tuesday update on top of the one you got a few days ago. ;)

Time to find out how Rhys and Fiona's stories came to an end as we catch up with the present day.

Due to pacing I had to field a couple "major" choices. Do you agree with the decisions I made in the video? Let me know!

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 12, 2016

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Episode 5 is so loving good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Welp, that's what? 3 dead characters in one episode? Although I guess Gortys could technically be reassembled since fiona still had some parts?

• Locked thread