Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Welp, series over. THAT'S ALL, FOLKS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Gone out with a whimper, not a bang. RIP show, we'll always have season 1.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
This finale felt like they just wanted to do an epilogue, so they rushed through the climax. What a weak ending, like they just forgot how to write any tensions/buildup.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
*pours out a stein of mead for this deceased show*

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Haven't been watching lately because it hasn't been good. Sounds like it's definitely going to die now. Killing Moloch off too early was probably where this all started.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
"Hey, we're officially out of ideas for this show, and one of our leads wants out. What should we do?"

"I dunno, let's just steal a story hook from something else that had to pad things out for a couple years after the story was played out. I just finished watching season four of Burn Notice. Maybe we can just go with that."

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR
Well that was some terrible nonsense.

Casimir Radon posted:

Haven't been watching lately because it hasn't been good. Sounds like it's definitely going to die now. Killing Moloch off too early was probably where this all started.

Yea. The most logical way to have done the show would have been to have them fighting against increasingly powerful lesser demons/the horsemen until they got to literally Satan and the apocalypse at the end. That's the impression they gave of what would happen at the beginning of series, what with the seven trials or tribulations witnesses were supposed to face.

Welp.

violetdragon fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Apr 9, 2016

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Crane heading up a centuries-old federal Monster Squad could have been fascinating, but alas, Season 4 is probably never going to happen.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Part of what I enjoyed about the show was the chemistry between Abby and Crane, it just won't be the same without her. If they brought it back for Season 4 trying to make it a lame mashup of X-Files and Supernatural IMHO it'd be as painful to watch as the version of Sliders they wound up with after Jerry McConnell left.

The only way I would watch that is if Crane spends half his time going to meet Headless in clandestine locations, hands Headless an 8 * 10 glossy of some evil douchebag, and the next 5 minutes is a montage of Headless tracking down said douchebag and giving him the old Slap Chop™.

Also, the ending is totally stolen from an old 2001 wire-fu CGI film called Zu Warriors. Heroine sacrifices herself saving the world while helping her teacher / partner defeat the big evil but he learns she's been reincarnated already.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Astrofig posted:

Welp, series over. THAT'S ALL, FOLKS.

Lame ending, but better than how Arrow's turning out.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

spookygonk posted:

Lame ending, but better than how Arrow's turning out.

I shudder to think how awful that must be. Fill me in please?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Astrofig posted:

How about no since this isn't the thread for that.

Binary Badger posted:

Part of what I enjoyed about the show was the chemistry between Abby and Crane, it just won't be the same without her. If they brought it back for Season 4 trying to make it a lame mashup of X-Files and Supernatural IMHO it'd be as painful to watch as the version of Sliders they wound up with after Jerry McConnell left.

This ending does kind of remind me of Sliders with the whole actor being gone but we're calling this technically the same person.

Pretty much everything about this finale seemed really rushed and bizarre, like the whole thing about finding Betsy in the Catacombs but then it turns out that nope, she's just going back to her own time(?) for vague reasons. Also fun is how Washington's speech at the end didn't actually match up with what was written on the letter.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I'd probably get bent out of shape asking where the gently caress Federal Monster Squad that is about to make Crane their boss was during the apocalypse, but luckily we'll probably never have to ask that question because there won't be a next season.

At least on Supernatural the Men of Letters were dormant and extinct when Sam and Dean found their awesome base and discovered they were members. :rolleyes:

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
The ending was satisfying enough for how low the show fell to. It wrapped up everything and we at least got to see everyone important get closure. I really think they should've left out the cliffhanger stuff, I think it is one of the things the writers were very bad at, knowing when to stop with stuff. Season three probably shouldn't even have existed, two's ending gave almost the same level of closure, if I recall, and by the end of two I was basically checked out of this show.

EDIT: Remember when we saw all four horsemen in a dream sequence, and everyone was super excited to see when they would all show up? Man, this show really went off the rails. What even happened to Pestilence?

Antifa Spacemarine fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 10, 2016

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

It's bumming out how bad monster/villain of the week shows have been this past season. This, Grimm, Arrow, and the Flash have all been terrible. LoT and Supergirl are bad but slowly improving. Even Agents of Shield while not bad is in a bit of slump until the next movie hits.

We have more of these shows than ever and most of them have gotten really lovely. RIP Sleepy Hollow you sure did have one good season and that's it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

What ever happened to that 7 years you cheeky bastards promised us? :colbert:

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I've never seen a show blow its narative load as fast as this one. They finished at least two seasons in half a season.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

LeafyOrb posted:

It's bumming out how bad monster/villain of the week shows have been this past season. This, Grimm, Arrow, and the Flash have all been terrible. LoT and Supergirl are bad but slowly improving. Even Agents of Shield while not bad is in a bit of slump until the next movie hits.

We have more of these shows than ever and most of them have gotten really lovely. RIP Sleepy Hollow you sure did have one good season and that's it.

I wonder if some of these breakout shows that get a huge rabid following among the internet fans somehow start to believe their own hype and it affects their storytelling? Sleepy Hollow was a critical darling right out of the gate, and maybe it made the showrunners do stupid stuff.

When they were doing the Horseman and John Noble was on there, they were really firing on all cylinders. Shame, really. It's like a totally different show.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

muscles like this? posted:

I'm not sure how we're supposed to reconcile these weird gods with the biblical stuff from the first two seasons.

I like to think all the legends are all (partly) right. There isn't "the apocalypse" there is "an apocalypse" and they happen all the drat time. The 4 horseman prophecy was expected to happen in the near future, not thousands of years later, and it wasn't originally about Moloch. Moloch was like the tenth major demon guy to try to pull it off. Everybody gets ready with the horsemen and the trumpets, and then someone derails it at the last minute. Over and over.

Revelation isn't the only end of the world prophecy that is 'true' either. There are dozens of them. Most of them don't happen in North America, so Crane and the founding fathers never dealt with them. Common myths like the great flood and the sacrificed god really happened/are happening/will happen. Failed gods that aren't totally destroyed get downgraded to the status of demons and monsters, meanwhile people and monsters take on the mantels of gods. The scars of all the old apocalypses live on as barren deserts and incredibly lush gardens, ruins and fossils, depending on what sort of powers were deployed and what survived.

Just a constant treadmill of the world nearly being destroyed as various plucky heroes try to contain the damage.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

The Demons/Big Bads on this show were truly the Keystone Kops of antagonists.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Casimir Radon posted:

What ever happened to that 7 years you cheeky bastards promised us? :colbert:

Well technically we got 3 seasons, there are 2 witnesses, and Abby spent an additional year in the catacombs. With enough bad math you can explain everything.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Valeyard posted:

Sorry to ask but I haven't seen the latest episode yet, did we get an appearance from Headless?

Valeyard posted:

Headless will ride again.

Valeyard posted:

I watched the first 30 seconds with Headless being put into a magic box and then turned it off

Valeyard posted:

Is Headless back yet?

Valeyard posted:

Real talk where is he

Valeyard posted:

Is Headless back yet?

Valeyard posted:

They need to bring the headless horseman back

Valeyard posted:

Yessssss

Time to bring back Headless.

Good job lads, I heard we did it?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
At the cost of him looking silly and not doing much and the show spiralling into a nonsensical finale, sure.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
Crane has always been a fun character. Jenny is pretty good, her Dad seems to have potential, and the FBI team was mostly there because of Abbie. Everyone and everything else is pretty much gone already. So if the show got a season 4, it would be less like more of the same show, and more like a spin-off with Crane and maybe Jenny & Dad running a monster-hunting FBI. Premise-wise, that sounds fun.

(Bureau 13! ... ok, maybe that's an obscure pull)

As much as parts of Season 2 and 3 disappointed me, I'd really like to see Sleepy Hollow get at least one more season to try out this new paradigm, just to see where it can go.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Robot Hobo posted:

As much as parts of Season 2 and 3 disappointed me, I'd really like to see Sleepy Hollow get at least one more season to try out this new paradigm, just to see where it can go.

I'm good with it, too. The worst thing a show can do is stagnate, so totally changing the status quo sounds great to me.

Sending Crane to some kind of hidden magic FBI is a great idea. Jenny and her dad being Winchester demon hunters is a great idea.

This show is best when it goes all-in with the crazy. So let's hope it does that.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Astrofig posted:

It's become really soap opera-y. Which wouldn't be so bad (because that's really what superhero comics are) but Felicity has become a terrible character. The last season, all she did was cry, and this season, she's become a passive-agressive rear end in a top hat.

Invalid Validation posted:

I've never seen a show blow its narative load as fast as this one. They finished at least two seasons in half a season.

I read that Nichole Beharie has been very unhappy with the way that the network has been treating her over the past two seasons. She was fed up to the point that she asked to be released from her contract, which is a shame, since she and Tom Mison have great chemistry. The abrupt switch in format is likely the writers adapting to her leaving the show, though I will be really surprised if there is a 4th season after the pile of trash that was season 3.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The Crane/Abby chemistry was the core of the show, and it will not be worth watching without her IMO.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Season 1 was the best and season 2 just got lazy and stopped his son in like 2 episodes then he son lived in a motel in till he "didn't care for humans" anymore. Then he decided he was now a full witch and his mom needed to do a heel toe and the only way to stop her was to use time travel as a plot mechanic again.

The show flopped in season 2.

Always remember Frankenstein's monster, the only way to stop the headless horse man. He was resurrected in one episode to fight the horseman to run off and never be in any other shows. This show had no heroes.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

Always remember Frankenstein's monster, the only way to stop the headless horse man. He was resurrected in one episode to fight the horseman to run off and never be in any other shows. This show had no heroes.
He came back in this season.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Astroman posted:

The Crane/Abby chemistry was the core of the show, and it will not be worth watching without her IMO.
I feel like the people in the room - or at least the showrunner that came in for S3 - completely missed the mark on understanding what the show was about and why people tuned in for it. It wasn't Headless Horseman running around with a shotgun and ammo bandolier firing automatic weapons even though we definitely loved it for that. To be honest I think the showrunner in S1/S2 missed it too, because S2 was basically the Crane Family show and Abby Mills just happened to be along for the ride. It was fine in small doses but it was constantly more about Ichabod-Katrina-Henry more than anything else.

Maybe the cynical part of me thinks Fox has been pushing for the show to be the Ichabod Crane fish-out-of-water supernatural monster hunter show and trying to push Abbie Mills out of the equation or lower her prominence in whatever they think Sleepy Hollow the show is about. I don't know if or how it'll work with just Crane, even if Jenny sticks around semi-regularly (killing off Joe was also dumb, let's be honest).

So as much as I liked some of the stuff they did this season it's a shame it basically had to exist in the context of Beharie wanting to leave the show.

Casimir Radon posted:

He came back in this season.
I think the funnier (weirder?) part is Crane finding the head off-screen sometime after Franklinstein and Bride of Franklinstein got blown up by the Hidden One.

berzerkmonkey posted:

I will be really surprised if there is a 4th season after the pile of trash that was season 3.
The ratings are bad but I think they moved to another state where it's cheaper to shoot and it's a good business decision to keep going if you've got to season 3 most of the time if they think they can make money back on syndication or international sales or whatever. Still up in the air though.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Tenzarin posted:

...and the only way to stop her was to use time travel as a plot mechanic again.

The show flopped in season 2.

I agree, season 2 was also pretty bad. But the time travel wasn't why. If anything, they should've gone all-in with that...an entire season-arc of Abbie during the Revolution creating time paradoxes would've been amazing.

Hell, have Future-Crane join her, then have two Cranes running around in 1780, and the 18th-century Crane dies via beheading, and upon returning to 2015, Future-Crane and Abbie have become unstuck in time and the Washington Irving "Sleepy Hollow" myth exists as we know it.

Then Crane sees the Disney animated version.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The most unrealistic part of the show was how fast Crane's immigration papers were going through. At one point it seriously looked like he would be taking the oath of citizenship before the end of the season. WTF? How would this guy even pass a criminal background check?

Maybe the mysterious quasi-government anti-supernatural department we'd never heard of before was doing it?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I guess that answers the mystery of who vouched for him way back when.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I never understood the citizenship thing anyway--he wasn't a legal, current citizen with ID from the UK, and I presume you need some sort of info about your current citizenship to get new citizenship. If they forged that, why didn't they just forge US ID papers?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I guess maybe he sounds British, so americans looking at his ID wouldn't look too closely if it was fake British ID. But if he had fake american ID americans would be more likely to notice imperfections?

Except . . . he doesn't really sound British? Like regardless of what the actor is doing, the character is supposed to be speaking with a British accent from over 200 years ago, which should sound just as odd to modern British people as it does to modern American people. The British and American accents have diverged a lot in the last few hundred years, and Crane should be speaking neither of them. I suppose that's just being pedantic tho.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Refugees don't have IDs or anything a lot of the time, they just make poo poo up. Then again, nobody seemed to care when he went off traversing the world with no real identity, so why should we?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Angela Christine posted:

I guess maybe he sounds British, so americans looking at his ID wouldn't look too closely if it was fake British ID. But if he had fake american ID americans would be more likely to notice imperfections?

Except . . . he doesn't really sound British? Like regardless of what the actor is doing, the character is supposed to be speaking with a British accent from over 200 years ago, which should sound just as odd to modern British people as it does to modern American people. The British and American accents have diverged a lot in the last few hundred years, and Crane should be speaking neither of them. I suppose that's just being pedantic tho.

The British accent pre-Revolutionary War was much closer to what we consider American today. The fact that they sound different now is a case of deliberate dialect shift post war to sound less like the 'Yankee'.

That said, he should really be doing a Colonial American accent, not that it really matters.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 13, 2016

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

What a pile of horseshit drat

They better kill this show now, I mean I love Crane's character and all but ugh just let it die please

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

This show got renewed.

How the gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

GreenNight posted:

This show got renewed.

How the gently caress?
Syndication, probably. They've had near 3 full network seasons. Can't be much more to crawl towards the 80 or so you need with one more.

• Locked thread