Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Symphogear
This poll is closed.
Chris 41 39.42%
Hibiki 26 25.00%
Tsubasa 5 4.81%
Shirabe 5 4.81%
Kirika 3 2.88%
Maria 9 8.65%
Genjuro 15 14.42%
Total: 104 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Davincie posted:

they had a period where they were just making fantastic war movie after fantastic war movie. recently its all been clunkers though with a few exceptions like assassination
I dunno which camp this one falls into but I saw one where a South Korean village gets conquered by a North Korean military detachment, only it turns out the captain presiding over the occupation is actually a young man who grew up in the village but fled to the North because he wanted to believe in Communism, and is trying to roll out Communism in his hometown as envisioned by him while all the farmers, kids, and old people humor his attempts at revolution, still treating him like that one boy from the neighborhood.

I liked it a lot. It was very funny and occasionally tragic, which describes a lot of Korean films really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

z

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Davincie posted:

it should be traumatic. if you coddle people about war you get the retarded attitude most of the american populace takes. shock and reality is the best teacher

NATIONALISM

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

is anybody streaming Delta or do i have to download it

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

dogsicle posted:

is anybody streaming Delta or do i have to download it

download

JoJoJosephSmith
Apr 8, 2016

Davincie posted:

it should be traumatic. if you coddle people about war you get the retarded attitude most of the american populace takes. shock and reality is the best teacher

Jostiband posted:

By that age it would be too late for it to convince a dumb kid to maybe think really hard about the whole joining the army thing.

ya but like the problem is that really in that setting kids just see the books like those animes we don't really care for

they kind of see the books given to them for lecture as being inherently bad, uninteresting, irrelevant media

so say a part where the main character sees his friend brutally die in front of him the common thought process is like

"hah, looks like that character got eliminated"

like I remember hearing a semi nerdy honors girl say "haha this book ended the typical shakespere way were everyone dies haha"

like the thought that comes to them isn't "WW1 was really loving bad, war in general is bad"

more like they think "this book is really bad"

I think its like a "reality is unrealistic" type of thought process that happens and i think it happens because teenagers just don't usually have enough life experience to understand yet

also I think most war poo poo just like reinforced the military kids into joining the army/marines because it made it seem even more heroic and kind of normalized military life

there's a lot of ironic psych effects people don't usually think about that happen when you teach a book like that for a class, espec a high school class

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Confession: I hated Brave New World in high school

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

littleorv posted:

Confession: I hated Brave New World in high school

It was okay. I only read it because my brother had to and I was bored tho.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I hate everything

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It sucks that the way most highschools teach lit classes wind up making a lot of students hate the material

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

those environments look really not good to me

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

irokia posted:

ya but like the problem is that really in that setting kids just see the books like those animes we don't really care for

they kind of see the books given to them for lecture as being inherently bad, uninteresting, irrelevant media

so say a part where the main character sees his friend brutally die in front of him the common thought process is like

like I remember hearing a semi nerdy honors girl say "haha this book ended the typical shakespere way were everyone dies haha"

like the thought that comes to them isn't "WW1 was really loving bad, war in general is bad"

I think its like a "reality is unrealistic" type of thought process that happens and i think it happens because teenagers just don't usually have enough life experience to understand yet

also I think most war poo poo just like reinforced the military kids into joining the army/marines because it made it seem even more heroic and kind of normalized military life

there's a lot of ironic psych effects people don't usually think about that happen when you teach a book like that for a class, espec a high school class

same

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It's time to spend a week talking about what that green light could symbolize....

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

flat stretched texture floor....

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
The music in KumaMiko 2 is really nice :)

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Srice posted:

It's time to spend a week talking about what that green light could symbolize....

I hated The Great Gatsby too

My AP English teacher suuuuuucked

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

littleorv posted:

lol you took AP English

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Mine was good

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Strange Quark posted:

lol you took AP English

It's good because I never had to take a college English class

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I knew when I first read the name, AP English Literature was not a class meant for me.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

is this some gag spinoff or fanwork?

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

In that class we were given a choice to read any "high-level" book and present to the class. I chose Catch-22 and it is still my favourite book ever. I doubt it would be if I had to discuss symbolism of whatever in it.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

PrinceRandom posted:

It's good because I never had to take a college English class

I didn't either, because I took AP English Language, the non-lit course.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I was the only person in my class that liked Moby gently caress

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

irokia posted:

No offense, but do you have to put a space between every sentence?

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Whoa autocorrect

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

PrinceRandom posted:

I was the only person in my class that liked Moby gently caress

well

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Srice posted:

GO!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

gently caress my blowhole

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
My high school had us read The Great Gatsby over summer break between 8th and 9th grade with no guidance, and it was awful. I might like it more now, but I just can't bring myself to try. It was so. boring.

JoJoJosephSmith
Apr 8, 2016

i took ib classes and got my poo poo stomped by 2000 word essays, reading a million books, and scary high level math

i ended up having to take regular people math

Motto posted:

No offense, but do you have to put a space between every sentence?

oh poo poo sorry its like a weird habit i've picked up, it makes it seem more readable but in a huge paragraph it does the opposite

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Davincie posted:

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Strange Quark posted:

I didn't either, because I took AP English Language, the non-lit course.

Mine wasn't lit focused. It was supposed to be a class that taught university level writing or whatever. She was a bad teacher.

"Write a paper in MLA style and I'm not going to give you any direction about what that means."

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

d

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I had to read loving Ayn Rand one Summer.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

littleorv posted:

i have news for you

that wasn't your english teacher's fault

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Davincie posted: