Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

dscruffy1 posted:

I will try to pay attention to cusses. No promises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

dscruffy1 posted:

Oh my goodness my littlest fan probably :kimchi:

I will try to pay attention to cusses. No promises.

I don't think I remember you cussing in any of your videos ever.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
Just make sure he knows scruffy is NOT saying "Good evening, Sodomites!"

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

Just make sure he knows scruffy is NOT saying "Good evening, Sodomites!"

Mishearing Gothamite as Sodomite is kind of a stretch, imo.

Now catamite, on the other hand...

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Lotish posted:

dscruffy, I just want to mention that my five year old enjoys your videos so much that when he's playing batman with his toys I overhead him saying "welcome back to Arkham Knight."

You know what you've done? You've put the idea in my head to have that kid say the opening if not narrate an entire video to just describe what's going on and what Batman is doing now.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, it beats watching and aping random minecraft morons.
I, uh, don't mean that as a critique or something, this LP is amazing.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Crabtree posted:

You know what you've done? You've put the idea in my head to have that kid say the opening if not narrate an entire video to just describe what's going on and what Batman is doing now.

There are roundup videos...

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

anilEhilated posted:

Well, it beats watching and aping random minecraft morons.
I, uh, don't mean that as a critique or something, this LP is amazing.

counterpoint: it is adorable in every sense to see texan parents be all puzzled when their 5 year old kid casually uses "bloody" as a colloquialism because they watch a lot of stampylonghead

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
So, this thread was the impetus I needed to go back and FINALLY finish Arkham Asylum, and play through City for the first time. Now, I'd known there was a twist in AC for, oh, 4 years or so, but I'd more or less managed to avoid getting it spoiled for me (although obviously, from this LP, I went in knowing that Joker bites it somewhere along the line). I just have one question:
when Harley stole the cure out from under Batman + Freeze's noses, why didn't the Joker just take it then? Did I miss something? Because this one gaping plot hole kind of undercuts what should have been an otherwise cool and well-executed twist, namely that NONE of it was necessary if he'd just cured himself when he had the chance! Right?

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted

Ghost of Starman posted:

So, this thread was the impetus I needed to go back and FINALLY finish Arkham Asylum, and play through City for the first time. Now, I'd known there was a twist in AC for, oh, 4 years or so, but I'd more or less managed to avoid getting it spoiled for me (although obviously, from this LP, I went in knowing that Joker bites it somewhere along the line). I just have one question:
when Harley stole the cure out from under Batman + Freeze's noses, why didn't the Joker just take it then? Did I miss something? Because this one gaping plot hole kind of undercuts what should have been an otherwise cool and well-executed twist, namely that NONE of it was necessary if he'd just cured himself when he had the chance! Right?

Talia caught Harley before she could get it to Joker, that's why Talia has the cure at the theater.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Ghost of Starman posted:

Talia stole it from Harley as she was on her way back from Freeze. Joker saying he'd gotten it is just a bluff, which explains why Harley is found tied up and gagged in a random place: as punishment for failing him.

E: Talia naturally doesn't give the cure to Batman because she still wants him to kill her dad and join the League, so she'd hold off as long as possible in the hopes that his mortality would drive him to it.

Felinoid fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Apr 11, 2016

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Felinoid posted:

Talia stole it from Harley as she was on her way back from Freeze. Joker saying he'd gotten it is just a bluff, which explains why Harley is found tied up and gagged in a random place: as punishment for failing him.

I was under the impression that Talia tied her up.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Nnngh... too late, now I've started thinking about all the other plot-holes. I dunno if it's gauche to post someone else's blog, but this guy says most of it better than I can.

Shamus posted:

Talia saunters in like she’s been off-stage, waiting for her cue. She offers the Joker the Lazarus pit (why?) instead of trying to kick his rear end. It’s obvious she’s not really offering him the pit, so why did she bring it up and what is she trying to accomplish? Then she walks off with Joker without stopping to help Batman. It’s obvious she expects Batman to follow her, but it should be obvious to her that he can’t. What is this woman thinking?

...and I don't think he even realized that Talia was supposed to be in possession of the cure at that exact point in time.

He also leaves out the glaring Mr. Freeze thing...
Mr. Freeze: I have made the cure you need in order to get better and A.) trade with the Joker, or B.) stop the Joker for the safety of my wife.
Developers: Oh! We already worked up all the assets and mechanics for an amazeballs boss fight against Mr. Freeze. I guess we'll just slap it in... here!
Mr. Freeze: MY WIFE :byodood: *smashes exactly 2/3rds of the cure*
[BOSS FIGHT]
Developers: Oh right, the rest of the game still needs to happen.
Mr. Freeze: Go and get the remaining cure and also SAVE MY WIFE please.

Ghost of Starman fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 11, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Ghost of Starman posted:

Nnngh... too late, now I've started thinking about all the other plot-holes. I dunno if it's gauche to post someone else's blog, but this guy says most of it better than I can.

...and I don't think he even realized that Talia was supposed to be in possession of the cure at that exact point in time.

He also leaves out the glaring Mr. Freeze thing...
Mr. Freeze: I have made the cure you need in order to get better and A.) trade with the Joker, or B.) stop the Joker for the safety of my wife.
Developers: Oh! We already worked up all the assets and mechanics for an amazeballs boss fight against Mr. Freeze. I guess we'll just slap it in... here!
Mr. Freeze: MY WIFE :byodood: *smashes exactly 2/3rds of the cure*
[BOSS FIGHT]
Developers: Oh right, the rest of the game still needs to happen.
Mr. Freeze: Go and get the remaining cure and also SAVE MY WIFE please.

Most of the complaints he has are actually addressed by the game. For the stuff actually quoted, Joker has Batman at his mercy and Talia is trying to get him away from Batman. Similarly, for the Freeze fight, Freeze is more inclined to try to kill Batman and deal with Joker precisely because Joker has his wife-prioritizing his wife above everything else is Freeze's whole motivation. The reason he cooperated with Batman before that point was to actually create the cure so that he would have something to give to Joker.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I was under the impression that Talia tied her up.

That's correct-it's why Harley is in an area above the ceiling that's not accessible to normal enemy henchmen, and why henches in the area talk about how they're waiting for her to get back. Pretty much the only big plothole in AC that I'm aware of is actually at that point- why Talia didn't just kill Harley Quinn.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I'd imagine that, if there's some small chance Joker was cured, Talia would not want a angry lunatic on her heels because she killed his Harley? I know Joker doesn't really care about his girlfriend that much, but with Joker, you can't know how he'd react.

[Disclaimer: no clue if this was covered in some story arc already. Just spitballing.]

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Maybe Talia also offered the Lazarus pit to Joker to persuade Batman to succeed Ra's? "If you don't take it, then a murderous psychopath gets it instead."

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

You gotta admit, those dual croc takedown bits were some pretty drat cool videogames. The rigging and movement in Knight is really good, they really sell how big and powerful croc is and how fast and agile the heroes are.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

dscruffy1 posted:

More DLC for the DLC gods! This is 3/4 of the Season of Infamy additions.

Under The Surface/Polsy

Part 24 notes:
  • The map in the batcomputer is accurate to the locations of your objectives for the next few main story parts.
  • You can indeed disable the steam using a batarang-but I think you have to use the remote controlled one.
  • A lot of work went into the airship-the cells are individually numbered according to a coherent system. It's also got a bunch of design elements, particularly the hanging isolation cells, that were intended to be reminiscent of Arkham Asylum.
  • There are a couple more prisoners with color lines in cells around the area during the first trip to the airship.
  • Immediately next to where you rescue the warden from the water, Gorilla Grodd has etched his name on his cell.
  • The guard room overlooking the exercise fight area is like some other Season of Infamy rooms-loaded with easter eggs. There are some names on the guard schedule whose significance I don't get, an ambulance-chaser ad on the wall related to Two-Faces ctivities between AC and AK, plus a couple other ones-Iron Heights has unique signage and warnings, etc.
  • The parachuted guard's corpse is eventually removed by the police-iirc both guards' parachutes remain. Evacuated characters from the mission have different lines as it progresses and completes.
  • Notice how the camera hangs on the black screen above the security desk when batman and nightwing swipe the keycards- something, probably a set of onscreen animations to show what was happening/what is happening in the labs, was cut at some point in development.
  • Another easter egg- the signs on the walls just past the keycard door are for Quorum, a sort of mini-Cadmus from other DC Comics. Y'know the deal- corrupt shadowy government group uses Bad Science, creates loyal federal superheroes, Something Goes Wrong...for some reason the symbol on the red signs looks like Brainiac.
  • I think the statue in Croc's cell is just Gotham-style "let's put statues everywhere" architecture- not sure. There are other statues in the architecture elsewhere in the airship.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

You know, it's funny that the warden's defense of this is "we could militarize it!" when I think a better argument-still pretty horrible but at least something that isn't a strawman-would be "look, if we can make this work on everyone, we save so many lives everywhere and make so many crippled people whole."

Especially since you have Barbara around, who probably wouldn't have gotten captured if she could still, you know, walk.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Sauron's argument works well here, I think. "But I don't want to cure cancer. I want to turn people into dinosaurs."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Batman could always try putting Croc 'in contact' with Bruce Wayne. Make like they have a mutual acquaintance or something and offer to set up a meeting. Bruce has limitless resources and a massive science department, and has a reputation as the most harmless person in Gotham, even if a womanising idiot. Batman keeps Croc close, Croc gets closer to a cure and ideally noone gets eaten or needlessly experimented on. If all goes south, Batman's literally right there watching for the signs of it happening.

Edit: Better yet, as I forgot about the scent, no need to get the alter ego involved at all. Keep him in the batcave, plenty of room to make room for a sizable cell for him, just keep Alfred away from that part of the cave and the cover is secure. He only sees the other capes.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 11, 2016

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Problem there is Croc knows Bat's sent. Which is also Wayne's.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It's that aftershave.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
There is actually a subtle difference that Croc prides himself on noticing. Batman smells like Leather and Sweat. Bruce Wayne smells like Leather, Sweat and Vermouth. Only an idiot could think one was the other.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Time to crack this city open. Metaphorically.

Full City Access/Polsy

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

ShootaBoy posted:

Problem there is Croc knows Bat's sent. Which is also Wayne's.

Also Bats is an rear end in a top hat. "Cure my Rogues Gallery?!? Pffff."

Like gently caress, Fries is the most sympathetic/deserving and yet Freeze is still an ice elemental with an (n)ice wife.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
As a note, since Scruffy didn't seem to call it out: Queen Industries, the building the Long Range Missile Launcher was situated on, is a reference to Oliver Queen AKA the Green Arrow, Star City's [or Starling City in the Flash/Arrow series] Robin Hood-themed vigilante, and his version of Wayne Enterprises.

It's kinda cool seeing all these little touches, too bad it's in this game.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

Also Bats is an rear end in a top hat. "Cure my Rogues Gallery?!? Pffff."

Like gently caress, Fries is the most sympathetic/deserving and yet Freeze is still an ice elemental with an (n)ice wife.

Freeze is the one villain where it's like , just set him up in a Wayne enterprises lab. You get some high level cryotech and possibly a cure for Huntington's, as well as keeping freeze off the streets. It is an all around win.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Freeze, is he present in AK at all?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Alexeythegreat posted:

Speaking of Freeze, is he present in AK at all?

Freeze is the final Season of Infamy addition.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Cool.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
These videos are really reminding me how boring and overlong mid to late game combat sections are in the Arkham series. The first third of the fight or so, before you start eliminating guys, is pretty hectic, but once you've knocked out a decent number, it turns into a really agonizingly long mop-up. Rather than an insta-takedown on the last enemy, they probably should have just made you damage increase with every enemy you take out in a fight, so the last five or six guys in a big fight go down in one hit.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

"The bat's on his way! Go get to the second RADAR site and prepare for alpha target oscar mike stupid milspeak! But leave the guns in the convenient gun box and take him on with your fists, that'll work out."

The Knight really doesn't want to be taken seriously, does he? The box of guns was right there!

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal

Night10194 posted:

"The bat's on his way! Go get to the second RADAR site and prepare for alpha target oscar mike stupid milspeak! But leave the guns in the convenient gun box and take him on with your fists, that'll work out."

The Knight really doesn't want to be taken seriously, does he? The box of guns was right there!

Also, he goes with them to 'secure' it, but leaves as soon as Batman actually appears. If this was competently written I'd think he was actually terrified of Batman and trying to hide it. Honestly, I would have adored it if he interrupted your Fear Takedown on the second or third henchman, just putting himself in-between, and if their grapple ended with one of the Brutes pulling Batman off and telling the Knight to book it "per your orders, sir" or something like that. It's basically impossible to avoid the really weird, anticlimactic feeling of this not-a-boss-fight.

Also, bad news, Joker: the Batmobile has "non-lethal" tyres. Those hit-and-runs aren't going to kill any people Batman hasn't already murdered tonight.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

"You think you can outwit me!? That I'm just like all the others?!"

Uh, yeah? Except he doesn't even have an interesting gimmick or personality trait.

If he really is the guy people suspect he is, I kinda see why fans voted for him to get the crowbar.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Uh, yeah?

Arkham Knight is trying so hard to pretend he's the greatest threat Batman's encountered, but his best accomplishment is kidnapping Oracle.

I'll give him some credit for doing what Hugo Strange should have done in Arkham City by having his forces adapt to Batman's tactics, but he's a pretty sorry villain so far.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Arkham Knight is trying so hard to pretend he's the greatest threat Batman's encountered, but his best accomplishment is kidnapping Oracle.

I'll give him some credit for doing what Hugo Strange should have done in Arkham City by having his forces adapt to Batman's tactics, but he's a pretty sorry villain so far.

The best part is that the game is pretending along with him. It would be nice to have some thug chatter mocking him. Or scarecrow for that matter. The militia are hired mercs and yet they just keep sucking these wierdo's dicks instead of whining about how dumb their bosses are like normal employees.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Nekomimi-Maiden posted:

Star City's [or Starling City in the Flash/Arrow series]

Nah, it's Star City now. They rebranded in honor of knockoff Iron Man has-been Superman Ray Palmer/The Atom after he "died" in a lab explosion (in reality his shrinking suit started working, violently. They fixed it and regrew him).

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Night10194 posted:

Uh, yeah? Except he doesn't even have an interesting gimmick or personality trait.

If he really is the guy people suspect he is, I kinda see why fans voted for him to get the crowbar.
I'm guessing the results of this vote were a significant rebuke to the character? I can understand why - his identity seems to be so heavily telegraphed that Claude Chappe has been rolling in his grave, and his character arc has been in a near-constant state of claiming to win while losing. (Oracle's kidnapping is the only major exception here.) Have a link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

This feeds into something I've been thinking about regarding this game. Arkham Knight is supposed to be "Batman's Worst Night," the hell that taxes his resources to the breaking point and makes him think, for the first time, that maybe he can't handle it all. And yet, because the game mechanics never change in meaningful ways, you don't get that feeling. A fight against 15 goons at the beginning of the game is no different from a fight against 15 goons at the end (barring added complexity from more enemy types in the mix, of course). Hell, since you're drowning in upgrade points, you get demonstrably better at Batmanning over the course of the game.

It would be interesting, I think, to experiment with a game that inverts that power curve: You start off the best Batman you can be, but every fight, every predator challenge, takes a little more out of you. An element of strategic gameplay would then be finding the most efficient way to deal with every encounter to minimize the stuff you lose access to, and possibly making difficult choices about what abilities you're willing to lose early on vs. what you hang on to as dearly as possible (though admittedly that would be a bear to design a UX for that isn't really jarring). That way by the end you're really feeling the fatigue and the punishment Batman has taken over the course of the game.

Certainly too avant-garde for a AAA flying rodent simulator, but an interesting design exercise if nothing else.

• Locked thread