Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ij ust reread part 8 on a whim and norisuke's the loving man, he's like top 10 jojo's characters ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Josuke Higashikata posted:

My friend Norisuke :colbert:
I like Norisuke but...

(I typed a bunch of words here originally)

Nevermind now I'm laughing at you really hard and I don't want to disagree with you anymore

Okuyasu Nijimura fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 10, 2016

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Gonna avoid talking about Part 3 specifically here since I know better than anyone my love for that arc is irrational - I like even the parts other die-hard fans admit are sketchy - but if your advice to someone who wants to watch/read/catch up with something is to skip the lion's share of it, you admit to hating more than half of it, and what remains you give a loose pass on the grounds of being "Entertaining, if pointless," you're probably not someone whose opinion should be sought out on the subject.

Jojo veers hard in favor of the journey being more important than the destination. Jojo itself is a journey, tracing Araki's progress as an artist and a writer. It's clear at several points he's just making everything up as he goes along, but his imagination is utterly strange and captivating so that's alright by me. Even his weaker fights are still interesting and engaging for me, usually, because he's trying something new. When he fails, it's typically because he tried something experimental that just didn't pan out, as opposed to the majority of his peers who fail trying to do the same things every shounen action serial does.

In closing, I refuse to respect the opinion of a man who considers the Lovers fight worthless and easily skipped simply because it fails to advance the narrative.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The narrative where the new concept of stands is introduced with its own set of rules, just for Dio to near immediately invalidate two of them at once, which is never mentioned again.

Araki can be worse than Kojima when it comes to writing a narrative, so it's kind of pointless to read the series just for that.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Amaryllis posted:

Norisuke is the best dad.

I remember feeling kinda sorry for Damo at this point.

Goddamn that was a good act he was putting on, huh

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Norisuke will have his revenge and Damo is going to get wrecked...

... Eventually

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Every time someone posts an out of context JoJolion page I feel even more confused about what poo poo that part is about.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

If you're able to read it, you should try! Once it picks up speed it's incredible.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I've been dragging my feet on starting it cause I don't want to catch up and have to wait for monthly installments. Waiting for new Jojo has gotta be the worst.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Same here, if it was a weekly I'd have picked it up by now but waiting on a monthly sounds hellish. Sadly it's gonna take years and years to finish and I'll probably crack before then.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I let it stack up for a while but had to stop after Damo showed up. It's less frustrating to wait when there's anime on Fridays again, though...

And I want more people to love the characters, they're so good.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Jojo8 is a really comfy experience, and also one of the more mysterious. Re-reading it is great because it's so thick with plot

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
JoJoLion is a totally normal story about helping a guy who got into an accident and lost his memory remember who he is, and is adopted by a kindly family while he tries to figure it out.

That's all it is and anyone else who tells you otherwise is a liar.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

JoJolion is about that

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i think araki forgot about the bite marks

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Relin posted:

i think araki forgot about the bite marks

it's more like they healed. They show up on Josshu and Yasuho too.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It was cool how Araki had Norisuke act all sinister and creepy until he and Gappy actually had a conversation together.

And then Araki started giving him all the best dialogue.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

https://twitter.com/oocanime/status/719247463660593152

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The wait for new JoJolion sucks but the joy of new JoJolion dwarves it.

And you have 52 chapters of it already.
Pull the trigger it's more than worth it.

And besides, if you read this thread you know everything anyway so it's not like abstaining is protecting its integrity as a unspoiled part by not having a full part all at once.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

The wait for new JoJolion sucks but the joy of new JoJolion dwarves it.

And you have 52 chapters of it already.
Pull the trigger it's more than worth it.

And besides, if you read this thread you know everything anyway so it's not like abstaining is protecting its integrity as a unspoiled part by not having a full part all at once.

Joubin gonna be the Final Boss Yo.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

JoJolion had just started when I first got into JJBA, and I vowed I'd just wait for it to be finished before I binged through all of it.

My patience is being tested, I may end up just catching up and hating the wait.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I don't want Joubin to be the final boss because I still want to believe that beneath it all he's actually a good person and a good dad, as opposed to a bad person and a good dad.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Joubin's status as a good dad is uncontested regardless of whatever other moral quandaries exist in his life.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Stallion Cabana posted:

Joubin gonna be the Final Boss Yo.

Jobin gonna figure out he done bad and will sacrifice himself later on

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Joubin's status as a good dad is uncontested regardless of whatever other moral quandaries exist in his life.

Joubin offered to let the Rock Humans kill his own son. He is not a good dad.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Gonna need a chapter for that cause I don't remember him saying that at all.

I thought he was working them on the condition they cure his son.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Joubin is one of my favorite characters in all of JoJo, aesthetically speaking. i too hope he isn't terrible, though it's too bad he won't get any sort of character merch

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

You could read an entire synopsis of Jojo and still have tons of fun reading it though. I had like everything spoiled for me when reading the series and still loved it, cause Jojo doesn't care about a plot.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

dogsicle posted:

Joubin is one of my favorite characters in all of JoJo, aesthetically speaking. i too hope he isn't terrible, though it's too bad he won't get any sort of character merch

Yeah, Jobin looks awesome and it's a pity that there isn't anything for him and probably won't be.

Anyway, I wanted to share some good fan art today

jojolog draws nice DIU stuff; you have probably seen their Keicho/Bad Company image floating around by now. They posted this today and it's awesome

This JoJolion babies art by reammm is super cute, check their blog for a few more Kira/Josefumi pieces

marion-ville does really nice SBR fanart (gyro/johnny centric fyi, this world cries out for more hot pants art)

click that link for all four tusks, but baby tusk is my fave :3:

marion-ville also has some nice Stone Ocean and JoJolion Stuff:

Also I realized that I never reposted oldseph here after I yanked it from the anime thread, so here's strawberry-jan/amaryllis' good comic:

Okuyasu Nijimura fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 10, 2016

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Big Sis Holly heading straight to Morioh after Jotaro and Joseph got back and having all sorts of adventures with Josuke is my headcanon.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Jobin's Speed King is really powerful and real hosed up looking, I want more Jobin

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Moltrey posted:

Jobin's Speed King is really powerful and real hosed up looking, I want more Jobin

he actually pressured gappy in a contest of wills which means he's top tier regardless of stand. A good villain/obstacle

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I wanna know what else speed king is capable of

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Yeah, Jobin looks awesome and it's a pity that there isn't anything for him and probably won't be.

maybe a Statue Legend if we're lucky? they seem to give those out on a whim

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

On whether to follow along with monthly Jojolions or wait until it's done, does anyone else take a middle-ground approach? I personally wait until a fight/arc is over, then read the whole thing in one sitting. That way I stay up to date, roughly speaking, but it's like waiting for a book to come out twice a year or so, rather than a little bit every month. I think it's the fact I get a set up, build up, climax, and resolution all at once when I read it makes the wait better, since I'm never in mid-fight limbo.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm pretty bad about reading and keeping up with manga, so the JoJo update schedule is actually perfect for me. it's easier for me to just stay updated and only have 30 pages a month, than building up a backlog of chapters that i'd get through much slower.

then again, i stop jonesing for a new chapter about 3-5 days after reading the latest one, which probably makes me an outlier itt.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

dogsicle posted:

maybe a Statue Legend if we're lucky? they seem to give those out on a whim

I'd pay a disgusting amount of money for it.

Anyway, I have trouble buying him as the big bad overall because while I think there's still more to his Stand ability than meets the eye and I think he's a pretty crafty guy, I don't think he's all that crafty (obviously it could be a big act). He strikes me more as somebody who could be won over by whoever all else is in Damo's crew; maybe because he likes feeling powerful and doing that gives him a heightened sense of that (I mean, he obviously does a lot with the shop now but maybe he still feels like he's in dad's shadow? I really can't tell and that feels like a huge reach for me but still) and as such has gotten wrapped up in something he doesn't totally know himself. He's pretty childish inside what with the talk about summer and the kiiinda boyish beetle obsession. Doesn't strike me as big bad material. I wasn't really joking when I said I think he's the sort who will have a volte-face later and realize he's been on the wrong side all along and will sacrifice himself in a big way to give someone (Gappy?) the edge at a critical moment. I see that happening with him or with Norisuke or maybe with both.

And honestly I want it to be them because like I already said, if they're the ones who do that it makes me feel like maybe there's a chance of Yasuho being safe. :(

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Joubin's got those head-spikes, right?

What if he's one of that 2.5% of Rock Humans who had a romantic relationship with a regular human that didn’t end in murder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I'm reading Part 6 right now, and this Bohemian Rhapsody part might the craziest thing I've seen in this Part yet and that's saying something.