Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
http://projectgorgon.com/blog/entry/introducing-vendor-stalls

Awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Age of Wushu all over again.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I'm having a lot of fun with this. In as Gilok. I'm mostly doing fire/necro right now, but I'm thinking of going druid/necro. Does that put out enough damage, in other people's experience?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
The official forums are pretty autistic, good to see that bit of old school mmo gaming is still alive

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I tried this game before, but had to quit due to personal and time issues. Taking a look at the last couple of pages, sounds like there have been some changes for the worst. But really, I just liked grinding out skills like an idiot with too much free time and doing favors for oversexed elves. I'm guessing this game is still solid on that front?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

GlitchThief posted:

I tried this game before, but had to quit due to personal and time issues. Taking a look at the last couple of pages, sounds like there have been some changes for the worst. But really, I just liked grinding out skills like an idiot with too much free time and doing favors for oversexed elves. I'm guessing this game is still solid on that front?

absolutely, the game is good for that, great even since more skills were added.

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004
My friend just introduced me to this game and as an EQ, FFXI, DAoC, etc player this is amazing. Leveling skills by using them is by far the superior system for this type of game. I've spent so much time just exploring and trying to discover things, it's great. Offline Hang Outs are fantastic as it feels like you're doing something even when not playing. Permanent animal morphs? Lots of crafts? Hell yeah man.

My main complaint is the lack of synergy between Battle Chemistry and Necromancy; none of the AoE Battle Chemistry abilities actually hit skeleton pets, which I think is pretty absurd. They hit my golem, but my golem's abilities also don't hit the skeletons. It'd be super sick if my really fragile skeletons that can't help but attack anything and everything that attacks me and pull aggro from several rooms away could actually not die instantly thanks to healing bombs from me and my golem, but maybe I'm asking too much. The requirement of both femurs and a graveyard for skeleton summoning is super frustrating and something I wish they'd do away with. The femurs I can understand, but graveyards can be hard to find and it's dumb wasting 5 minutes dying 3 times to make one in whatever dungeon I'm leveling in.

Also, I had to ask multiple times in global chat how to change the loot in groups (pro tip: "/loot free") and that's something that should absolutely be in the group options and easily adjustable. The default is alternating (read: buggy, 2 or 3 in a row went to the same person in my group) loot and that's utterly stupid.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Phayray posted:

The requirement of [..] a graveyard for skeleton summoning is super frustrating and something I wish they'd do away with.

:same:

thats why I quit necromancy after 28 for the giant bat +1 synergy level (get them synergy levels yo!)

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004

killstealing posted:

:same:

thats why I quit necromancy after 28 for the giant bat +1 synergy level (get them synergy levels yo!)

The thing I don't understand is why Battle Chemistry golems are free but Necromancy skeletons have two requirements. Necromancy itself is already something you can't get without being level 20+, lucky, or getting help.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
well there's actually reasoning behind it. the dev doesn't want all skills to be equally hard to get. he wants there to be several skills hidden throughout the game to function as a reward for exploring or doing quest lines. those skills will have weird and cool restrictions/functions, and necromancy is the prototype of that: it's hidden in an early game dungeon (a crypt) and is centered around graveyards/death.

battle chemistry is supposed to be a normal skill, not one of those strange skills.

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004

killstealing posted:

well there's actually reasoning behind it. the dev doesn't want all skills to be equally hard to get. he wants there to be several skills hidden throughout the game to function as a reward for exploring or doing quest lines. those skills will have weird and cool restrictions/functions, and necromancy is the prototype of that: it's hidden in an early game dungeon (a crypt) and is centered around graveyards/death.

battle chemistry is supposed to be a normal skill, not one of those strange skills.

That's fair, I guess it just reminds me of the EQ days of needing bone chips to summon skeletons, sometimes requiring you to go explicitly farm them for hours until you had enough to go exp. I understand and appreciate the concept but the practicality of it is frustrating as a player.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
the real frustration comes from the fact it's such an easily accessible skill, so if you invest a lot of time into it as a decently new player it's not like you have something to fall back on. other hidden skills will come into play later on according to him, so by then you already have a skillset and they're just fun rewards with outlandish restrictions/functions they can't put into the base skills for fear of making them too gimpy.

the base combat skills are all really solid in their own way, it's the weird ones (lycan, druid, cow, necro etc) that have strange gimmicks and just blatantly don't work in some situations (unless wolfmode got more crushing damage, when I last played they were boned against big armor lmao)

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

Phayray posted:

The thing I don't understand is why Battle Chemistry golems are free but Necromancy skeletons have two requirements. Necromancy itself is already something you can't get without being level 20+, lucky, or getting help.

I think that Battle Chemistry is supposed to be locked behind a long questline or heavy alchemy levels, but hes made it more accessible for the sake of testing it. Or atleast thats what it said when I learned it back when I was playing.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
bchem is locked behind 100000 synergy levels already, it's not a good beginner skill at all since it's so expensive too

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Phayray posted:

That's fair, I guess it just reminds me of the EQ days of needing bone chips to summon skeletons, sometimes requiring you to go explicitly farm them for hours until you had enough to go exp. I understand and appreciate the concept but the practicality of it is frustrating as a player.

I never understood people moaning about that problem myself. It was always so easy to get a couple of dozen, certainly not hours of farming and the higher level you got, the easier it became and the more places you could go to get them. Did you constantly lose pets or something (curiosity here, I really never got how people needed so many bone chips). Later on having to cart bone chips and peridots around was a PITA but then we got the AA to 'store' the pet and it became a non-issue anyway.

If differentiation has a little cost or effort to it, no problem. I can chose to do it or not.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Ratzap posted:

I never understood people moaning about that problem myself. It was always so easy to get a couple of dozen, certainly not hours of farming and the higher level you got, the easier it became and the more places you could go to get them. Did you constantly lose pets or something (curiosity here, I really never got how people needed so many bone chips). Later on having to cart bone chips and peridots around was a PITA but then we got the AA to 'store' the pet and it became a non-issue anyway.

If differentiation has a little cost or effort to it, no problem. I can chose to do it or not.

You have to consider back in early EQ pre PoP pets despawned when you zoned, logged off, or got disconnected. Keep in mind in the late 90s early 00s having a shaky dial-up/dsl connection was way more common and you'd have to resummon a pet every time your modem burped. Largely bone chips wasn't a big deal because you could pop over to field of bone and buy all the bone chips you could hold from newbies in the area for a relative pittance compared to peridots.

Field of bone/kurns tower was largely necro paradise in general though. Once you got past level 20 or so you could pretty quickly farm any amount of bone chips you needed in short order.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

Ratzap posted:

I only played up to Kunark, and I'm pretty sure we didn't have AA levels. Bone chips were a legitimate pain in the rear end back then.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

DeathSandwich posted:

You have to consider back in early EQ pre PoP pets despawned when you zoned, logged off, or got disconnected. Keep in mind in the late 90s early 00s having a shaky dial-up/dsl connection was way more common and you'd have to resummon a pet every time your modem burped. Largely bone chips wasn't a big deal because you could pop over to field of bone and buy all the bone chips you could hold from newbies in the area for a relative pittance compared to peridots.

Field of bone/kurns tower was largely necro paradise in general though. Once you got past level 20 or so you could pretty quickly farm any amount of bone chips you needed in short order.

I know this, I played from May 99 till 2006. Even with plat farming on the sisters isle (lots of zoning) I'd barely go through 20 chips in a days session. Ok if you had a lovely connection you'd lose a lot so hit the spawners in Nektulos, N ro pyramid area, Befallen - there are tons of places to find skels plus we had that find undead spell. I never felt the chips were a problem but then again I also made a fortune selling them to people who couldn't be bothered taking the time to collect them. AAs came out after Poonark (with the Luclin expansion).

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I was thinking about getting back into this. Does the economy sort of work now, with stalls? When I left the only way to make cash with tradeskills was to farm up a bunch of cotton, but that dried up when everyone realized that tailoring was a booby prize.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
There's not a lot of money sinks so some people are ridiculously rich and you can make like half a mil a day with trained industry skills afaik

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I started playing this. To me is like a darkfall with no open pvp but with fun loot and loco ideas.

At the moment I enjoy just farming spider. I kill spider, and then I kill more spiders. It may looks like I am wasting my time, but I am having a lot of fun from all the weird poo poo I see that I don't understand.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I like the game well enough, for some reason "shovel etiquette" turned me off...

You should bury those spiders if you can handle the area and others are around, I just foresee the game becoming a clusterfuck if a new surge of 50 or so came in. Like newbs struggling to find one dude to kill cause a horde of non-buryers keeps "farming" the only are you can hack it in.

I would be down on trying again in a year or 2.

I think shovels are cool, it's just kinda a design flaw with some of the current lowbie areas, instancing would be the poo poo, but it's impossible with unity.

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 26, 2016

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004
The game has been down for me all day - anyone else? What's up?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

galahan posted:

I like the game well enough, for some reason "shovel etiquette" turned me off...

Did not knew about that. I will bury my dead bodies, them, np.

And the game is up again.

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004
Gotta raise that Compassion skill!

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Tei posted:

Did not knew about that. I will bury my dead bodies, them, np.

And the game is up again.

You don't have to and if you are weak for the area you shouldn't, (if you need to run away) but people were apparently staking claims on limited materials, kill stealing, and being dicks about it to corner the market. Idk how they will fix it without being able to instance if the population booms.

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004

galahan posted:

You don't have to and if you are weak for the area you shouldn't, (if you need to run away) but people were apparently staking claims on limited materials, kill stealing, and being dicks about it to corner the market. Idk how they will fix it without being able to instance if the population booms.

I'm pretty sure they can instance ground spawns specifically, as this seemed to happen when I was walking my friend through the newbie island, but I'm not positive.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Just came back for the first time since they redid the tutorial area, started a new character. Let's take a moment to reflect on the fact that someone programmed an algorithm that allows your old teacher to repeatedly address you, mispronouncing your name differently each time.

I love this game.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

galahan posted:

If some people want that I have not problem doing it. I am more a mmo tourist, I never play mmos very long.

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

The new tutorial island is pretty sweet. I'm jealous of new players who get to learn teleportation right away, without having to spend hours convincing a fairy to be friends with them.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I feel like framerate is even worse than it used to be, though :( :( :(

headspace
Apr 25, 2014
I started playing this game after reading about it here. I love it. It's the chardee macdennis of MMOs.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I love how there's a mantis that wants to have sex with another mantis but doesn't want to die. He tries to appease her with other meats but she won't have anything to do with it. She loves him but wants him to understand that she's an old fashioned mantis who respects tradition. If he doesn't want to be eaten after sex then he's not good enough for her. :P

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Those bugs are menacing

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
If you go to the keep in serbule, you can get dye making for free right now.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

30.5 Days posted:

Just came back for the first time since they redid the tutorial area, started a new character. Let's take a moment to reflect on the fact that someone programmed an algorithm that allows your old teacher to repeatedly address you, mispronouncing your name differently each time.

I love this game.

Haha, yes. Installed this for the first time a few hours ago. Some of the poo poo in this game is making me chuckle out IRL which is dope. It's janky as hell, but for some reason still fun!

Are people still playing?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Granbar posted:

Haha, yes. Installed this for the first time a few hours ago. Some of the poo poo in this game is making me chuckle out IRL which is dope. It's janky as hell, but for some reason still fun!

Are people still playing?

overwatch :negative:

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I updated yesterday and saw that guild quests (and a bunch of other stuff was added) but haven't really played much in a while. If people need guild invites, lemme know.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Project Gorgon is on my list of "things to get back to" that I'd hoped to start playing again once summer started, but then things got even busier than before so I still haven't picked the game back up. It'll be interesting to see all of the differences once I finally get some time, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piebald Hell
Apr 22, 2008
What's the goon guild anyway? I've been loving around as a giant bat with a pet cat and a weird rear end name. Rii rii, motherfuckers.

Also oh my god the devs are absolute sweethearts. I've had two really nice conversations with them so far.