Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

a kitten posted:

I think that was the idea, but any of the three are totally fine for anyone and super active.

Yeah we're far enough into Heavensward that even TPT has plenty of veterans alongside newer players. We've actually got some new people in PBC right now. Just go with whichever and if you don't like it you can always switch later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The Grimace posted:

If you have not played since 1.0, a lot of your old weapons and rare gear is probably stored with a Calamity Salvager. You can find them in the major towns. I think Gridania's is just north of Mih Khetto Amphitheater in Old Gridania, beside the Delivery Moogle. Ul'dah's is... I think besides Arrvaneth Sacrarium, something like that? It's in the south side of town, west of the Weaver's Guild and Miner's Guild, but east of the Thaumaturge Guild.

If it's any consolation, most of it is trash now and you can get better gear without much issue just through using the Market Boards. If you made any strides in the 1.0 job quests, you'll have to do them again, which means you'll also receive the AF gear again if you don't reclaim it from the Calamity Salvager. And you'll want to start the new story missions sooner rather than later, since 90% of the new high level content introduced in A Realm Reborn is locked behind the story. It will take a few days, but that said, it's good content, so just enjoy yourself.

I've played some ARR, just not a ton. It was before they added housing or the Golden Saucer or PVP or any of the crazy new stuff. It's really weird what I have and what's missing - I have some pink gear from dungeons (I...think?) but a lot of my crafted gear is just...gone.

Anyways, if anyone's on Sart look me up sometime, my pretty pretty cat girl is Newo Ikkin.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Lemon-Lime posted:

:drat:

That looks insanely good.

Thanks! It's one of my favourite outfits.

The chest, gloves and boots can be bought in Ok'zundu from the Zundu Sell-It if you only want the style and don't care about getting a HQ version, total cost about 50k. The chestpiece is naturally green, while the gloves and boots come the black you see; I dyed the top with Soot Black Dye (220 from the Ixali, or about 500 on the market board if you can't buy it from them) to match them. The sash doesn't dye no matter what colour you change the top.

The pants, hat, and weapon are all from the Aery and haven't been dyed or altered at all. The earrings are from Sohm Al but I don't really consider them part of the outfit, they're just what I had on.

edit: You can use a lot of different pants on it, honestly, there's a lot of 'black or monochrome and dyeable, mostly plain, tuck into boots' for bards/mechanists in HW. Mechanists can wear all this stuff too (except the bow, obviously).

Prism fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 11, 2016

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

isk posted:

<snip>
If you get RAFed, you can get the first dungeon set for free which looks pretty good. Lots and lots of dungeon and raid sets are available at 50, most of which look great.
<snip>

If you do the "I am an idiot noobie who has never played any MMO ever" Hall of the Novice training, you get a black version of the first dungeon set for free. For each role. Also, a 30% bonus XP ring.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Moochewmoo posted:

EULA is the group to join for idiot newbies right? I just want in with active nerds.

Any work. DGKK has had a reasonable number of newbies rolling through as of late.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Ryoshi posted:

I've played some ARR, just not a ton. It was before they added housing or the Golden Saucer or PVP or any of the crazy new stuff. It's really weird what I have and what's missing - I have some pink gear from dungeons (I...think?) but a lot of my crafted gear is just...gone.

Anyways, if anyone's on Sart look me up sometime, my pretty pretty cat girl is Newo Ikkin.

Always check the Calamity Vendor for missing stuff.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Potato Jones posted:

Thordan is a Greatest Hits compilation, not an actual album.

T9 is the best fight.

Yeah, Thordan was a clever way to show off raid mechanics to people who'll never go inside CT or Coil.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
#1 Bone Zone earlier tonight. 6 goons and a heroic pub SCH (and a SMN who kept dying) took down the dragon while the other two groups got to watch from the sidelines due to wiping on the skeletons and releasing. :laugh:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

#1 Bone Zone earlier tonight. 6 goons and a heroic pub SCH (and a SMN who kept dying) took down the dragon while the other two groups got to watch from the sidelines due to wiping on the skeletons and releasing. :laugh:

Did you post the Kelly comic in alliance chat?

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

I love the weekly CT quest being relevant again because it's introducing a whole new generation to the wonders of the BONE ZONE.

Also, wiping 4 times because people can't handle getting on pads.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Ryoshi posted:

You've looked on your retainers and in the armory chest, right?

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Robviously posted:

I love the weekly CT quest being relevant again because it's introducing a whole new generation to the wonders of the BONE ZONE.

Also, wiping 4 times because people can't handle getting on pads.

Labyrinth has so many mechanics you can just gently caress around with and still succeed, it is great.

If tanking I also recommend tanking the Vassagos way out in the lava bath. It does like no damage, but it is another way to see which pubs have the proper attitude about how to treat easy legacy content. Melees who go for a swim too will get my comm every time.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied

Kibner posted:

Always check the Calamity Vendor for missing stuff.

I talked with my friend and none of his 1.0 gear is anywhere, and he has to do all the job quests over.

No gear with calamity guy, and nothing on retainers.

50Blm running around with random lvl 15 gear just to do some low level quests.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

hagie posted:

I talked with my friend and none of his 1.0 gear is anywhere, and he has to do all the job quests over.

No gear with calamity guy, and nothing on retainers.

50Blm running around with random lvl 15 gear just to do some low level quests.

I came back after playing in 1.0, played for a couple weeks, then decided to recruit my second retainer. The first time I opened his inventory, it was almost completely full.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The Chairman posted:

You've looked on your retainers and in the armory chest, right?

Yep. Pretty sure most of the stuff that's missing is stuff I crafted in 2.0.

Not a huge deal, I still have a fair amount of random HQ mats so I can probably arm myself better than I was before anyway, it's just really weird.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
LotA is my favorite content now. Pull off a successful bone zone or get the iron golems to walk across the fire and chat is guaranteed to be screen shot worthy.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Got an incredible urge to play again, last time I did was 2.38. Will it be difficult to get back into PBC?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Much as I love the BONE ZONE and other sorts of CT fuckery (lava bath Vassago is fuckin genius) the trend I've noticed lately is to just pull as soon as the first person gets there

Really not actually funny and you just kind of waste everyone's time when only five or six people are through the gate when it closes

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

They're generously allowing everyone else to feel smugly superior as a result. You should thank them for their sacrifice. :colbert:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Maybe people should stop standing around doing nothing for like five minutes after each boss.

Nothing makes me happier than people whining about not doing a ready check.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Got an incredible urge to play again, last time I did was 2.38. Will it be difficult to get back into PBC?

nah, there's plenty of room

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Rexicon1 posted:

nah, there's plenty of room

Cool, I have a strong memory of a lot of pubbies getting indignant that goons dare asked for the member cap to be raised, glad that got sorted

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
It's still an imperfect solution. At this point, the three FCs are all sufficiently entrenched that I think that unless you could own multiple properties under one FC, it would disincentivize shoving everyone together into one FC house. (TPT's house is dabest.)

That said, as communication between the three FCs relies on people being in linkshells with other people in the other FCs, we would really benefit from some kind of alliance chat that is open to PBC, DGKK, and TPT all at once. Would really improve recruiting for poo poo without requiring people to play telephone.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 11, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

lmao if you think people would be able to communicate anything useful in a channel with 1000+ goons typing inane dribble at each other. It would be an unreadable clusterfuck.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Fister Roboto posted:

lmao if you think people would be able to communicate anything useful in a channel with 1000+ goons typing inane dribble at each other. It would be an unreadable clusterfuck.

It could be enforced that alliance chat is just for forming groups. :shrug:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

The sensible option for pulling delay is, of course, "wait for a critical mass of people to get there, then give it 5-10 seconds or so as a grace period and pull, during which the stragglers can either get in under the wire, or get locked out, depending on how egregiously they were straggling". Preferably with that pull being done by a tank so nobody's unclear about who's tanking and the thing doesn't proceed to run around chewing people up. It's fast enough that reasonable people won't have cause to whine that it's too slow, and slow enough that reasonable people won't have cause to whine that they didn't have a chance to get there.

There's no accounting for unreasonable people on the ends of the spectrum, of course, such as those who think even a half second delay after the first person arrives is too slow, or those who think everyone needs to be there and you need to go through five ready checks before pulling or it's too fast. Which is why you don't come up with solutions that pander exclusively to those dipshits at either end.

I do enjoy reading fallacious arguments (whether intended seriously or not) that a ridiculous hyperbolic case (pull crazily early) is justified by the possibility of the opposite ridiculous hyperbolic case (sit around for ages and ages doing gently caress-all). The same half-assed attempt of a justification comes up when it comes to instant-pulling hunt mobs during whatever alternating patches Yoshi-P has decided to make them Highly Desirable again. (It's just as vapid an argument then, too.)

And yes, I realize that ranting about this here will not do a drat thing to prevent anyone reading this (let alone, of course, anyone not reading this) from being a dipshit who pulls stupidly early or a dipshit who waits around for far too long before pulling if they're that insistent on acting like that, but it was satisfying to write anyway. :v:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
DGKK gets pretty quiet at times, and there are times I'm curious to see what's going on in the other FCs personally. The inter-FC linkshells are only so big.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

Maybe people should stop standing around doing nothing for like five minutes after each boss.

Nothing makes me happier than people whining about not doing a ready check.

Oh I agree, don't get me wrong, but if most of the main mass isn't there yet it wouldn't kill people to wait just a few more seconds, is all I'm saying

(e) What Vil said basically, as he is ever the voice of reason here

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 11, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I've just been informed that ARR beast tribes give tokens for relic progress too, not just the Vath and Vanu. Bugger and blast what a lot of wasted time on my part.

I'm at work so I can't check, are they on the same level syncing thing as the HW tribe quests are, now? If not do they at least award reasonable XP for 50-60 characters or am I better off just blitzing them with a 60?

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Ciaphas posted:

I've just been informed that ARR beast tribes give tokens for relic progress too, not just the Vath and Vanu. Bugger and blast what a lot of wasted time on my part.

I'm at work so I can't check, are they on the same level syncing thing as the HW tribe quests are, now? If not do they at least award reasonable XP for 50-60 characters or am I better off just blitzing them with a 60?

They don't have the level or class syncing, I've been completing them at a level 60 dragoon and just swapping to a lower leveled one to turn them in. Also they only take 13 tokens for each unid, although each tribe only offers a single type.

Oh yes, only the rank 3 quests give you a token, and they're all level 48, but they also give a free rank IV materia while at it. It's also only about 10k exp per quest but still better than nothing.

Cirina fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 11, 2016

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Ciaphas posted:

The ones that give tokens that can be used for relic items are level 46 or 48. They don't do any special syncing, and there is no class restriction. I do them on my 60 and then just switch to whatever sub 60 class I want when I collect the reward. Each tribe corresponds to just one unidentified item for 13 of their currency each. The vanu and vath can sell you any of the four for 18.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The real reason to do ARR beast tribe quests is for grade IV materia, but the relic items are nice. They are useless for XP unless you currently have a class in the high 40s.

Well the real real reason for doing them is to run the combined quest for maxing them all out if you haven't done that already.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Thundarr posted:

The real reason to do ARR beast tribe quests is for grade IV materia, but the relic items are nice. They are useless for XP unless you currently have a class in the high 40s.

Well the real real reason for doing them is to run the combined quest for maxing them all out if you haven't done that already.

I'm not even close. Back in ARR I maxed out Kobolds for the rad (now flying!!) mount, and got close on Sylphs but got royally pissed off at the Sylphlands and gave up about four days away from the gobbue.

Guess I've got something else to do every day! :v:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Apr 11, 2016

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
You made the right decisions. Bombchair is best, gently caress the Sylphs.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What level is the sylph stuff? Shouldn't you be immune to aggro from them at 60?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Aphrodite posted:

What level is the sylph stuff? Shouldn't you be immune to aggro from them at 60?

Yes. The sylphlands tops out around 48-49.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Aphrodite posted:

Pretty sure there's all of one regular enemy that can aggro you at 60 in ARR and that'd be the Second Cohort Vanguard in Eastern La Noscea.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

The problem with Slyphs isn't aggro (it was at 50) so much as their quests being awful to complete in a timely manner. Some require fate spawns, some involve running around hunting for things, others are "use items on things", etc. They all suck.

Whereas the Kobolds are so pathetic they just want an adventure to go murder things and sometimes loot items off the ground.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I always liked the Amaalj'aa. They don't really want you to kill their enemies, they want you to humiliate them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
I just got stuck with a really obnoxious DRG in an Aery run on my BLM. I admit it's been a while since I've BLMed properly so I would like to get some backup, what's the BLM AoE rotation before Enochian and ignoring Ley Lines (cause they weren't up at the time). I was under the impression that after the initial Fire 3 -> Flare -> Convert -> Flare -> Transpose, you want to basically do Fire 3 -> Flare -> Transpose and repeat, unless Transpose isn't going to be up immediately after the Flare in which case you put a Fire 2 in there as well. Is my AoE knowledge out of date?

(Even if it turns out the DRG was right he was still a dick about it and wearing loving Allagan gear at level 55 which is okay cause he has Midan casting neck and the 230 BLM relic apparently!)

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 11, 2016

• Locked thread