Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Holy poo poo, yes! That is a serious collectors car in about 10 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I'd reenact the scene in BTTF where marty opens the garage door, over and over and over. I know it's a couple years newer but i instantly thought of that

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Jonny 290 posted:

I'd reenact the scene in BTTF where marty opens the garage door, over and over and over. I know it's a couple years newer but i instantly thought of that

me tooo that was the first thing

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really

NitroSpazzz posted:

Honda Beat for $6500 including shipping to any US port - http://www.ebay.com/itm/291723267863?rmvSB=true&autorefresh=true

poo poo he's also selling a Suzuki Carry KC - http://www.ebay.com/itm/291720019824

So many tiny cars are becoming legal to import

Japanese auto auctions are so tempting, The cars are mostly low mileage, they have these detailed auction sheets with thorough inspections and consistent condition ratings (in japanese, admittedly). Shipping and importing a car from japan to the west coast costs all of $2k.

AZ-1s are about 6k at auction right now, they'll probably go up closer to 10 when they become importable.

I keep having periodic episodes of disappointment as I realize what cars are now legal to import federally, look at the prices, and then I remember I can never import them because I live in california and I would have to pay for $10000 of emissions lab testing for a 25 year old car.

One of those montana registration services would be cool, if only registering an imported car anywhere in the country wasn't an ordeal where you have to convince a DMV employee that no, you really don't have a 17 character VIN.

:uhaul:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I just want to import an Miata NB coupe. I would go thru the trouble of trying to swap all the US stuff into it.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

edit: doublepost wtf.

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really

Coredump posted:

I just want to import an Miata NB coupe. I would go thru the trouble of trying to swap all the US stuff into it.

If you ever found one for sale you could probably federally import it under show and display since they made under 500.

Californizing a car is relatively straight forward if they sold the engine in CA originally, you just have to swap the engine/add all the emissions equipment from the CA model. Then take it to the BAR referee to certify this and you get a sticker in your door and you can just smog it like normal from then on.

If the engine wasn't ever sold in california though, $10000 of lab testing.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Motherfuckers...

:( Want so baaaaaad to go 0-60 in 20 seconds while getting 60mpg

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

astropika posted:

AZ-1s are about 6k at auction right now, they'll probably go up closer to 10 when they become importable.

I have no idea about import laws..
but couldn't you just import the car now, as in having it physically delivered to you without driving or registering it or taking it out of it's shipping container, until the stroke of midnight of the date it's legally able to be registered?

I'd rather snag one now and put it in storage for a few years.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

Tai-Pan posted:

Holy poo poo, yes! That is a serious collectors car in about 10 years.

I'd take a hard look at it (as well as carfax,) noting how the vinyl graphic isn't present, it seems the passenger side front qp has been resprayed, possibly replaced?

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

scuz posted:

Motherfuckers...

:( Want so baaaaaad to go 0-60 in 20 seconds while getting 60mpg

Hitting 60mph in one of these requires a large hill and a running start.

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

click clack POW, officer down
hnnnnnnnnggggggg :gizz:

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/5522735812.html

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

fffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!! This is the greatest post ever in this thread.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

http://lascruces.craigslist.org/cto/5514313056.html

I've never even heard of these but it's a weird little mid-engined Italian car and I like the color

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really

NoWake posted:

I have no idea about import laws..
but couldn't you just import the car now, as in having it physically delivered to you without driving or registering it or taking it out of it's shipping container, until the stroke of midnight of the date it's legally able to be registered?

I'd rather snag one now and put it in storage for a few years.

For CBP to release the car you have to provide several documents, including a DOT form HS-7. The HS-7 has all the ways that you can bring a car into the country and the CBP officer has to confirm your answer through documentation or inspection, for a 25 year old car you'd have documentation of the date of manufacture.

Even if you successfully lie and get the car out of the port, you need the customs release when you register the car. If you're in one of the super-lax states (florida) you might even register it, but then your car is forever subject to being crushed because you can't produce the right documentation on request. You could also be charged with smuggling, which is quite serious. Don't buy imported cars with florida plates unless you know exactly what documentation they need and it all checks out.

I'm not sure if you could leave it in the shipping container, but you wouldn't want to since demurrage fees would quickly escalate to hundreds of dollars a day.

Some exporters offer a service where they keep your car in-country until it's legal for import, but do you really want your car sitting in a parking lot for 2 years?

astropika fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 8, 2016

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

astropika posted:

For CBP to release the car you have to provide several documents, including a DOT form HS-7. The HS-7 has all the ways that you can bring a car into the country and the CBP officer has to confirm your answer through documentation or inspection, for a 25 year old car you'd have documentation of the date of manufacture.

Even if you successfully lie and get the car out of the port, you need the customs release when you register the car. If you're in one of the super-lax states (florida) you might even register it, but then your car is forever subject to being crushed because you can't produce the right documentation on request. You could also be charged with smuggling, which is quite serious. Don't buy imported cars with florida plates unless you know exactly what documentation they need and it all checks out.

I'm not sure if you could leave it in the shipping container, but you wouldn't want to since demurrage fees would quickly escalate to hundreds of dollars a day.

Some exporters offer a service where they keep your car in-country until it's legal for import, but do you really want your car sitting in a parking lot for 2 years?

Yeah this, to get the car into the United states means you'd have to smuggle it in and even after 25 years it was still smuggled and subject to crushing. I am on Florida and have thought about smuggling one it but the risks are too great. I might use the storage service or see if I can have some friends in Japan rent me a garage or something a few months before it's build date comes up.

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really

KakerMix posted:

Yeah this, to get the car into the United states means you'd have to smuggle it in and even after 25 years it was still smuggled and subject to crushing. I am on Florida and have thought about smuggling one it but the risks are too great. I might use the storage service or see if I can have some friends in Japan rent me a garage or something a few months before it's build date comes up.

You'd need to buy an early car before it becomes legal, the prices for the entire model go up after US importing. Also related models because apparently used car dealers at auction think R33 skylines must be worth more than R32s and look how much they keep selling for. R32s have apparently basically doubled in price the last 2 years.

Or, if you're talking about a beat or an AZ-1 or something, I'm not sure if americans give enough of a poo poo about kei cars to force the prices up?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

KakerMix posted:

I wonder if you could bring a car over as long as it was non-functional. Claim you were wanting it for art or something.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

doing my usual craigslist trolling for pre-1975 sub-$3000 things:

Coors: not even once

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
get a beat, ship it over without an engine, put a k20 in, register it when it's legal, die with a smile on your face

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

if you wouldnt take the same picture with that car fixed all up and sexy i dont know what to say really but it would be mean and negative, and question your awesome.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

SneakyFrog posted:

if you wouldnt take the same picture with that car fixed all up and sexy i dont know what to say really but it would be mean and negative, and question your awesome.

Oh indeed - I only clicked it because I dig 70's pedestrian-killers but the spraycan Cyclone stripe and pose were too good to not post. I am eternally stuck in a kind of craigslist Purgatory where I endlessly seek seventies post-muscle garbage americana that would rule with $crate_motor mods I cannot afford.

Look at that front end... just look at it. Inspired the morning after a Detroit engineer went on a coke streak with one of the guys from FoMoCo finance, looked at the profit/loss statements for 1971 and crashed an off-duty snowplow into a cathedral.

The Royal Nonesuch fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 8, 2016

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Sinestro posted:

get a beat, ship it over without an engine, put a k20 in, register it when it's legal, die with a smile on your face

and again, without the custtoms forms you only get by showing the car to the CBP officers when you ship it over after the 25 years is up, it is subject to crushing if they catch you and you don't have that form, even if it has now been 25 years.

this is the government we are talking about here. the rules don't matter. the paperwork does, because it is their accepted form of proof that you are following the rules. Pointing at the build date on the door sticker (the same poo poo that CBP officer would check) won't get you any further away from the crusher, holding the form saying that the CBP officer looked at that sticker and said you are legit is what saves you.

Your call.

Hell if you want proof that you should play this by the books and have all your paperwork in order go read about the land rovers that got seized, in some cases by armed feds, when the owners thought they were completely following the law. Now imagine how much worse that will go for you without paperwork.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Ship it to Canada and then move it to the USA when it hits 25 years.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

If I had unlimited time and resources this would be next years tailgating rig.

Baelish
Feb 8, 2013
https://scranton.craigslist.org/cto/5522664309.html

So who wants to pay $27k for a Vega?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Elephanthead posted:

Ship it to Canada and then move it to the USA when it hits 25 years.

This is what a few people I know have done for specialty cars they've imported. Other option that seems popular is have a contact in whatever country you're importing it from that can store it for you until it's legal for import. I know of a few M5 tourings waiting to ding 25 years old then will be on the first ship over.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Probably Jay Leno or some other collector. But they'd probably buy a Cosworth version. Vegas, Mavericks and Mustang IIs are getting hard to come by due t their initial shittiness. They were treated as disposable and now pristine examples are going up in price. Not sure if they're worth it tho.

Actual gold http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/5487002723.html

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 9, 2016

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

There but for the grace of God go I

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Did they normally sit that high?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
So in another 15 years are we going to see $30k J bodies because they're rare in good condition?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Nitrox posted:

Probably Jay Leno or some other collector. But they'd probably buy a Cosworth version. Vegas, Mavericks and Mustang IIs are getting hard to come by due t their initial shittiness. They were treated as disposable and now pristine examples are going up in price. Not sure if they're worth it tho.

Actual gold http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/5487002723.html

Someone do it. Do it. Holy poo poo.

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.

This is awesome and anyone who says otherwise is a communist.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Nitrox posted:

Absolutely not. I remember selling those pieces of poo poo, those cars are not a fine wine. The only type of collectors for those should be front lawns in the South.

Blinky Blinkerson
May 9, 2006
I need this so bad.

https://knoxville.craigslist.org/cto/5531362821.html

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Way to take care of the leather morons

https://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/cto/5526955001.html

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Its in hudson and owned by a jiffy lube tech, what do you expect? Also, I love the "It just needs a new starter!" On a 1uz. That is a very bad man.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Haha I didn't see that part, he either has no idea what it entails or he is a loving sadist that enjoys watching people suffer.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

How the hell did they get it in the garage like that?