Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Wait, The Convict is the worst chararacter?

poo poo, that's who I've been using because I thought The Pilot was the worst character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I wouldn't call Convict the worst, since she starts with a pretty good sidearm, and a fairly useful active ability for early game, but her passive only triggers on taking damage, which is kinda anathema to games like these imo.

Pilot is probably the hardest for beginners, since his sidearm is so extremely lovely compared to the other characters.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Pumpkinreaper posted:

So, I think the two best characters are the Hunter

ya lol same, doesn't amtter what she starts with - you get a fukin pet Dogge.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

voltcatfish posted:

poo poo, that's who I've been using because I thought The Pilot was the worst character

Convict has a couple things that hurt. One, her kit encourages close-range combat, which is a risky proposition and generally a terrible idea against bosses in particular. Two, she probably scales the worst of all the characters - everyone else has something that remains useful until late game, but Convict's passive requires her to get damaged to proc and doesn't last long enough to be very helpful on lower floors.

On the other hand, she probably has the strongest start (once you learn how to dodge in close combat, anyhow). Bosses aside, the first two floors are comparatively easy to clear with just her starting weapons. The Molotov is not to be underestimated either, and is extremely good against the rear end in a top hat enemies early on (the sword dudes and the lead maiden) as well as general room-clearing. It goes a long way to even her odds against the early bosses, so long as they aren't flying or sitting in water.

My opinion is that the characters are remarkably well-balanced. I'd be hard-pressed to name either a "worst" OR "best". They just require different playstyles to optimize.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

You really have to switch between the Sawed-Off and Revolver on Floor 2 to really get going as the Convict; open with a shotgun blast, then finish with revolver shots. It works pretty dang well on everything until you hit Floor 3

if you're still using those two things on Floor 3, you might as well jump into a pool of acid

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

hey I fed a bunch of materials to the elevator engineer guy, are they single-run only or do they carry over to future runs?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The best thing about the Hunter is the mechanic in this game where weapons reload themselves if you're switched away from them as long as their reload time(like the flare gun/crusader's crossbow in tf2). So you can whip out the crossbow and fire, then switch back to your revolver and unload it and by the time you've done that you can switch back to the crossbow and fire off another already without reloading. She's not the best but she's very fun for rolling through the early floors because of this.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Two log actives on floor 1 (sold both), second decoy log on floor 2. Then I get mutation twice from the muncher. Thanks rng

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Man, just had a crazy run. Got the AU Gun (aka the golden gun) on floor 1, which basically guaranteed me flawless for the first three bosses, but then over the next three floors I got 2 speed upgrades, Wax Wings and the Alien Engine. I was a loving harbinger of destruction, dodging everything by pure virtue of speed, flying straight into enemies and melting them in less than a second with the engine. Probably the most fun and hectic run I've had so far, even melted the second phase of the dragon in 1 cycle.

NotAnArtist posted:

hey I fed a bunch of materials to the elevator engineer guy, are they single-run only or do they carry over to future runs?

They carry over. You're supposed to fix the elevators over a bunch of runs.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

voltcatfish posted:

The pilot is probably the worst on level 1, since all his upsides (lockpicks, cheaper shops, more ammo for guns) take time to come to full effect.

But I'd say the convict is the weakest character on floors 2+.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Why are there so many negative steam reviews for this thing?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Why are there so many negative steam reviews for this thing?
I guess some people don't like the game? I just checked, and it has a positive review score of 91%, which is pretty decent for a difficult game imo, since they have a tendency to make a lot of people leave salty reviews.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Probably also because of the problems this thread has already repeatedly been over on top of that.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Finally got around to trying out the second secret character and good lord this character seems kind of broken? An infinite use decent fire rate sword that destroys bullets hit by it, and also does enough damage that a direct swing oneshots basic bulletkin on the first floor and two shots blue shotgun kin.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Just tried out the sorceress for the first time and oh my god why can't I just turn this on permanently and make money off of it instead of spending money on it? Sure, I don't get to keep weapons safe specifically for boss killing, but I get to use a lot of cool guns throughout all the floor rooms and not care about ammo and actually have fun.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

My first true ending victory! :toot:

edit: the forums seems to be having weird issues with timg tags and Puush, so here is an alternate link to my sick win

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

thanks for everyone explaining how to use your basic guns to find out if there's actually secret walls in a given room. on floor 2, i found three witches around a cauldron, and when i speak to them my option is <walk away>. the anemic wiki doesn't even have an entry for the witches, so i'm hoping someone here might know, what the gently caress am i supposed to do with them?

edit: nm it looks like i was clicking on them with the basic pistol equipped. you can throw a gun into their pot and they give you a new gun and +1 curse.

Freaking Crumbum fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 11, 2016

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

The extra loot you get from the oublitte is becoming important to my runs. Having bouncy poison bullets by the second floor is a huge advantage! Ricochet bullets on the super soaker is funny to clear rooms with lol

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

All the people wanting an easy mode for this game, there is one. It's the character you can't unlock until you've already "beat" one of the main characters. I don't think I'll play the bullet much because it's just completely overpowered.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Has anyone finished the game with all of the master rounds?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

well that took a bit

spent most of the time using the crossbow and AK-47 because holy poo poo ghost bullets are great

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

I AM BRAWW posted:

Has anyone finished the game with all of the master rounds?

This guy was apparently one of the alpha or early beta testers for the game and got really, really good at it.

He put up a video of himself doing that pretty much right after the release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvAfFG1XNE0

(don't watch if you don't want endgame spoilers, I guess)

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Ahh alright, so there is an ending specific for having those. First time getting one on floor 1 and on floor 2.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

I AM BRAWW posted:

Ahh alright, so there is an ending specific for having those. First time getting one on floor 1 and on floor 2.

That ending isn't for getting those. I'm pretty sure you unlock it by killing all four characters' pasts, and then it's available every game.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Far as I'm aware the only thing related to having all 5 mastery rounds in one run is the lead god achievement which gives you an unlock. I've yet to get all 5 rounds and kill the bonus boss though, but I doubt that has anything special either.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

the Blunderbuss is a pretty dang good all-around gun too, good for early bosses and cleaning up later floors

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Just caught the tail-end of CobaltStreak dying on a two and a half hour run that went to some crazy secret level. I myself have gotten to the fourth boss due to being carried by Quickdraw Holster + Sling. The Holster shoots a bullet whenever you reload, and the Sling is a one-shot-then-reload weapon that deals bonus damage to bosses. I killed Treadnaught in under ten seconds. I had no blanks so I didn't flawless it, but I came close.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Did a run as the marine and picked up some passive out of the shop that further improved his already fast reload time. The elephant gun is okay by default, but it becomes incredibly good when you can reload it quickly since it's usually so hampered by only having 2 shots. Toss in the +1 to gun passive, the +1 to gun active, angry bullets (chance for bullets to split), shadow bullets (another chance for bullets to split), and 4 uses of the YV shrine (ANOTHER chance for bullets to split) to get the most satisfying shotgun since the Doom 2 super shotgun. That thing was a ton of fun and I miss it already.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Just got my first win as the Pilot in 15 hours of play.

This is a drat challenging game and I enjoy it.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Now that I'm starting to get the first level bosses down without taking damage a decent chunk of the time, I really dislike the Bullet Twins fight. I suck rear end at dodging from shots coming offscreen (and double suck rear end at keeping both onscreen at once) and when I try to force myself to stay close to them I get pushed into a wall or corner. I think I'm better at all of the second floor fights than that one at this point (provided I have non-garbage weapons for the Beholster)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

What the hell do you even do against the high priest. I got the bastard for the first time but it took something like 3 full hearts and 4 blanks, which is not really a reliable way to win and running around floor 5 with a single heart and blank didn't last long. I feel like I'm getting hit by things I can't even see over and over in that fight.

I'm playing hunter almost every time because she seems like the best way to offset the RNG, although admittedly the dog is incredibly RNG-dependent too, going almost an entire floor without giving a single item and other times giving items in two consecutive rooms. Why couldn't they put invisible timers on this stuff to limit the amount of power the RNG has? If you haven't gotten an ammo box in X rooms, give you ammo in the next one guaranteed. The gameplay is fundamentally really skill-based, so it makes no sense to let how easy (and more importantly tedious) it is be dominated by the RNG.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
As I'm getting to the third floor almost every time now and it currently feels like my runs are made or broken based on if I roll the balrog or the tank. I can beat the tank more often than not but it usually eats up more resources, the skull is usually pretty easy by now.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Welp, 23 hours of game-time later and I've finally beaten the game.

Now to get the bullet parts gathered up; should only take me another 30 hours of loving up runs by my estimate.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Every time it says "generating" I now see "gunerating" I will never be the same

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Now that I've played a significant amount of this game I think there are two things that turn people off.

The first is that keyboard/mouse controls (in my opinion) just seem a lot more difficult. Dodge rolling often needs to be pretty precise and getting precise angles with 4-direction keys was awful for me. The aiming seems like it's better with a mouse, but the controller autoaim is actually really good and I very rarely feel like I'm missing shots I should hit. Different guns have different invisible autolock ranges, so you can "lock" and snipe someone across a room with something like the hexrifle or sniper rifle, whereas the pistols only lock to relatively close enemies, and shotguns don't lock much at all.

I could barely clear floor 2 with keyboard/mouse but with controller I've done a lot better.

The second problem people complain about is the lack of fun synergies, and I say, I've been seeing more of them as time goes on. The problem here is that so many fun guns and passives are gated behind either achievements/progression or buying with the H-bucks. The people going into it and finding it boring and/or difficult to control aren't going to stick around to find the fun stuff.

In other news, I got the Face Melter and I don't know if it broke or glitched or what. The wiki says it shoots in four directions and reloading drops an amplifier that also shoots in four directions. This is how it worked when I got it, but I immediately progressed to the next floor and it, well, hosed up. It would shoot a hilariously strong, fast stream of notes, but at a 90 degree angle from where I was aiming. Aiming pointed the neck of the guitar, but the notes came out of the strings. ON TOP OF THAT, if I was moving and fired, I would lose control and continue in that direction until I stopped firing. It makes thematic sense but it was IMPOSSIBLE to use, and got me killed.

It also used no ammo, at all, doing this. I, uh, have no idea what the heck. I didn't have any weird passives that might have hosed with it either, just ghost bullets.

The song was kickin' rad though.

See:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVweLVUo810

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The soldiers who spawn in almost exactly as fast as you can kill them on treadnaught are a giant loving middle finger that the fight really does not need to have.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Wow cool, had a god like run ended in the Forge because the boss required me going through literally every room- and every single room had the mace arm skeletons and giant bullet sharks.

The generator really SERIOUSLY hosed me over and I'm miffed.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The one time I made it to the forge, it was also pretty much a straight line of enemy rooms. There was a small block of 3 rooms at the start but after that it was just 6-7 rooms in a line with no other ways to go. Not sure how much further it would have gone on after the room where I bit it.

Anyone noticed differences in the way each floor's layout tends to be generated? I haven't really noticed one yet but it would be interesting if they are generated in slightly different ways.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

This game is really good! I'm enjoying it way more than expected.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Super Space Turtle is pretty amazing if you find him, he just merrily plinks away at bosses as you dodge.

This guy is incredible, not just bosses but you can enter some very hard rooms on like floor 4 and he will slowly clear out stuff for you while you hide behind a wall

Broken Cog posted:

Also, I ran into this guy in a secret room:

He just said something about it being dangerous to go alone, and gave me a free gun. Pretty obvious Zelda reference.
The full heal tent I ran across gave me a zelda fairy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
This game could really use a difficulty curve, even if it's something dumb like Binding of Isaac's "Everything is Terrible!". The difference in difficulty between the same tier bosses is insane, especially the game also decides to just not give you any guns/ammo. :(