Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Tayter Swift posted:

The SQ-1 is worth it for the MIDI to CV converter function alone.

Also I have a WMD/SSF MMF (which is different from Happy Nerding's). It's a two-pole multimode filter that will whistle plenty loud if you want but I mostly treat as a gentler version of the Mother's ladder filter, without the bass dropout when you crank the resonance. It's "pingable" but I haven't really gotten much use out of that function.

whats the lowest frequency you can get this to oscillate at? im considering this or the intellijel uvcf and the lfo possibilities of the intellijels have it winning out, despite those 2HP being useful on other ways to set money on fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Eh around 3Hz or so. The uVCF is rated for 2Hz so I don't know if either would make all that great an LFO.

I did take it out and flip the switch on the back to make it pingable tho. Sounds nice, maybe a quarter-second envelope time when it's pinged. I'll try to do a demo later tonight or something.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
the uvcf is 2Hz from the panel i think, ive seen a couple vids with it going slooooow, would love to see a new mmf vid

byob historian fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 9, 2016

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Hikari Sine is 2 or 3hp and gets you a digital sine lfo/vco.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Just bought a novation bass station II! Horribly excited. Looking forward to playing a keyboard synth with mod/pitch wheels again. I also have a Carillion MIDI keyboard I've lost the manual to, has anyone had one of these and can help me with figuring out its MIDI assignments?

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

ewe2 posted:

Just bought a novation bass station II! Horribly excited.

And rightly so. Same designer as the OSCar and Wasp and the Supernova, what's not to like?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

ewe2 posted:

I also have a Carillion MIDI keyboard I've lost the manual to, has anyone had one of these and can help me with figuring out its MIDI assignments?
Someone on another forum noted that they look like rebadged Miditech controllers, so I'd go through their product pages for controller keyboards that match the number of keys yours has and see if one of the pictures matches up. Anything with assignable knobs seems to have a manual online there.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

Someone on another forum noted that they look like rebadged Miditech controllers, so I'd go through their product pages for controller keyboards that match the number of keys yours has and see if one of the pictures matches up. Anything with assignable knobs seems to have a manual online there.

Thanks, that got me started. It's actually a rebadged Midiplus Origin 49, there doesn't seem to be an ASIO driver that works exactly for it, it's got the same control interface as another series called the Neutron with the same usb vendor id though. I managed to find the manual in an obscure place. Sadly it has something odd with its USB config and won't play nice with Virtualbox (but a lot of USB midi doesn't). At least now I can not botch MIDI assignments!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

ewe2 posted:

Thanks, that got me started. It's actually a rebadged Midiplus Origin 49, there doesn't seem to be an ASIO driver that works exactly for it, it's got the same control interface as another series called the Neutron with the same usb vendor id though. I managed to find the manual in an obscure place. Sadly it has something odd with its USB config and won't play nice with Virtualbox (but a lot of USB midi doesn't). At least now I can not botch MIDI assignments!
The smaller Midiplus Origin 25 looks exactly like its Miditech counterpart, so there looks to be some interesting crossbreeding going on in the segment. And the manual for the Midiplus 61 appears to be hosted on the Miditech servers too, even if it can't be accessed through their website.

Anyway, I can't find any indications that the Midiplus Origin 49 contains an audio interface, so I'm not sure how an ASIO driver would be applicable?

edit: I assume you came across this? None of those midi drivers do you any good in VirtualBox?

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 10, 2016

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

No, the Neutron driver has, as I say, the right vendor id but the wrong product id, so its like you say, its not an audio interface. The device identifies itself as Tahorng Midilink which if you do some hunting around shows you that the interface isn't the only thing being rebadged, it's the actual chips.

But the bug with Virtualbox is that it can't grab the USB device, so everything else is moot. I shall have to reboot into Windows proper to use it. In any case, it can still control the synth via MIDI into my USB interface if I need extra keys.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Went to the Seattle Synthesizer Petting Zoo today and picked up a Mutable Instruments Peaks and a Intellijel Korgasmatron II. This leaves me with 8 HP on my current row.
The Peaks seems extremely flexible and powerful for its width. Of course in my current setup I want an envelope and LFO and snare. Luckily I can pick two.
The Korgamatron II is cool, but complicated and it will take some time to figure out.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Chainclaw posted:

Went to the Seattle Synthesizer Petting Zoo today and picked up a Mutable Instruments Peaks and a Intellijel Korgasmatron II. This leaves me with 8 HP on my current row.
The Peaks seems extremely flexible and powerful for its width. Of course in my current setup I want an envelope and LFO and snare. Luckily I can pick two.
The Korgamatron II is cool, but complicated and it will take some time to figure out.
I was there too, brought some of my Moog gear (some of it ex-WAFFLEHOUND's!). That was a fun time!

I walked away with an Odyssey, SQ-1, and an A-01.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

minidracula posted:

I was there too, brought some of my Moog gear (some of it ex-WAFFLEHOUND's!). That was a fun time!

I walked away with an Odyssey, SQ-1, and an A-01.

I'm planning to come to the next one, I'll bring my 18U setup. You know, for kids.

And I'll probably buy some poo poo too..

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

sofullofhate posted:

I'm planning to come to the next one, I'll bring my 18U setup. You know, for kids.

And I'll probably buy some poo poo too..
I had a lot of fun, but I don't think I'll exhibit at the next one, or I'll bring the same setup if I do; the Voyager (and my too-big speakers) was too much to lug around in a Car2Go. But I'm happy I did it.

Astro Creep
May 14, 2013

There's no time, hurry up!

Everything's so fantastic!
Looking for small, cheap noise makers for use in drone and noise music. Any recommendations? Grimy, low, rumbly sounds would be preferable, but anything works. I was looking at some of Synthrotek's kits like the optical theremin, which looks and sounds super cool, but I've never done any soldering before. Knowing that, how hard are they to build?

Also, MockingQuantum & any other Twin Cities folks, apparently Foxtone Music has a few Volca FMs (and has had 'em since the end of last month :confuoot:) if you're still looking for one.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Astro Creep posted:

Looking for small, cheap noise makers for use in drone and noise music. Any recommendations? Grimy, low, rumbly sounds would be preferable, but anything works. I was looking at some of Synthrotek's kits like the optical theremin, which looks and sounds super cool, but I've never done any soldering before. Knowing that, how hard are they to build?

Monotron?

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

Astro Creep posted:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=61246 This is a good thread for finding noise machines.

I've made a few Synthrotek kits, and they've all been really straightforward. They have good docs, and good support if you get really stuck.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Sample?

You could record something, set it to a very low playback speed and crank the on board reverb all the way up?

Also I would just like to say that the Sample is super fun and the only reason not to have one is if you have an octatrack or something way more powerful.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

A Winner is Jew posted:

Sample?

You could record something, set it to a very low playback speed and crank the on board reverb all the way up?

It's not specifically what you asked for, but I have a recording from my Monotron Delay that might give you an estimate of how lo-fi the Monotrons are/can be:

https://soundcloud.com/noiseyard-1/mmmmanalog

The signal-to-noise ratio is kinda... yeah. As far as I know there are some variance in noise and maybe I just got a bad unit, and maybe you can reduce it somewhat with some soldering skills.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I'm having a ton of fun with the modular setup.
I need to figure out how to sync the Mother-32 and the Korg SQ-1. I think the Mother-32 takes a steady voltage for the tempo, whereas the SQ-1 pulses a sync signal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gwz0ltV7oQY

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Your Computer posted:

It's not specifically what you asked for, but I have a recording from my Monotron Delay that might give you an estimate of how lo-fi the Monotrons are/can be:

https://soundcloud.com/noiseyard-1/mmmmanalog

The signal-to-noise ratio is kinda... yeah. As far as I know there are some variance in noise and maybe I just got a bad unit, and maybe you can reduce it somewhat with some soldering skills.

Nice! I love that thing, I keep one in my keyboard bag just for the filtered delay. I hate how you have to use trs on the headphone jack out to silence the internal speaker though.

Just picked up the Erica synths sequential switch+expander, VERY nice build quality and panel finish. That, edges and the trapezoid generator from earlier this evening. Bam and monomachine on FX.

Astro Creep
May 14, 2013

There's no time, hurry up!

Everything's so fantastic!

Ohhhh yeah, I've had a Sample for quite a while. Absolutely love that thing. Haven't even tried to use it for this purpose yet, though, should probably give that a shot.

The Monotron Delay is pretty darn close to what I'm looking for! Being able to affect external audio with the filter and delay sounds raaaaaad. Gonna look a little deeper into that and the Synthrotek kits.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Chainclaw posted:

I'm having a ton of fun with the modular setup.
I need to figure out how to sync the Mother-32 and the Korg SQ-1. I think the Mother-32 takes a steady voltage for the tempo, whereas the SQ-1 pulses a sync signal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gwz0ltV7oQY

The Mother-32 has three different Tempo modes plus MIDI control. It's on page 46 of the manual. Steady voltage plus the knob voltage, step advancing on a clock wave, or DIN sync.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

The Mother can also send a clock signal (or a division of) via its assignable output

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

the uvcf is 2Hz from the panel i think, ive seen a couple vids with it going slooooow, would love to see a new mmf vid

Well this was longer than it probably should have but here's the demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcmFr6EKbXk

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
Can anyone recommend a good eurorack ringmod module, 8hp or smaller?

breaks
May 12, 2001

Intellijel uMod is great, works as a ring modulator or VCA. The oldschool one is 4hp, I think the revised version is 6 and adds some analog logic outputs.

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice

The Cleaner posted:

Can anyone recommend a good eurorack ringmod module, 8hp or smaller?

I guess I really don't "get" ringmod. It seems quite popular in the synth world and all and I understand technically what it does but the demos I see (and the ring mod guitar stuff I briefly played with) just never seem very musical. It's generally either someone doing Dalek voices or generally unpleasing sounds. Can someone school me on why this effect is so popular?

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
It's interesting when the two signals share the same pitch tracking, not so much when one of the signals is fixed. It's good for bell-like tones with sine waves and can produce musical results with other waveforms as well.

Two fixed-architecture synths that I own have one, the SQ-80 and the Odyssey, and they each use it to very useful and musical effect. It's great for thickening up a bass sound on the Odyssey, where the HPF helps remove harmful low-frequency products.

It's actually a really good tuning aid on the Odyssey, where the difference in tune between the two oscillators is more noticeable.

Also, fun fact: With square/pulse wave signals, the XOR function is mathematically equivalent to ring modulation, which is why the Odyssey's ring modulation is digital!

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
Thanks for the suggestions. The MakeNoise Moddemix any good too?

Bolange posted:

I guess I really don't "get" ringmod.

Can someone school me on why this effect is so popular?

I don't think it's ever been "popular" at all, however it can be made musical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V__Q4TKsC78

About 53 seconds in (during all the chorus parts).
I'm not 100% sure if that is ringmod however this band uses a great 'de-tuned' effect exclusively on this album and IMO sounds very unique.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Ring mod is also good for tremolo when the modulator is at sub-audio level.

breaks
May 12, 2001

I haven't used a moddemix but I think it tends to distort really easily or something like that? I remember hearing there was something kind of funky about it.

Re: uses of ring mod it can also be nice to control the modulation with an envelope, so you get the sidebands on the transient and then decay into a more tonal sound. But yeah it's one of those things that easily generates inharmonic tones so you have to deploy it tactically to get good results.

Also in a modular context ring mods double as a VCA. It is basically a VCA that will take a negative voltage for the amplitude control.

Zarithas
Jun 18, 2008
Any tips for sound design with the volca fm or DX7, or general FM synthesis? I get the theory and have watched some tutorials, but I'm still struggling to get from point A to point B when I have a specific sound in mind. Especially for specific unnatural/weird sounds.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
That's a tall ask. FM programming was notorious for having a large patch design market specifically because it's difficult and/or time consuming to make particular sounds.

My best advice is to load up patches close to the particular sound you're thinking of in a plugin/editor and see how it's made. Pay attention to the algorithm and then look at each carrier and its modulators. The ratio is half of the story, and the modulation depth (env/LFO) is the other half.

Then.... experiment!

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Zarithas posted:

Any tips for sound design with the volca fm or DX7, or general FM synthesis? I get the theory and have watched some tutorials, but I'm still struggling to get from point A to point B when I have a specific sound in mind. Especially for specific unnatural/weird sounds.

Detune the voices from each other, try different algorithms, crank up the feedback, turn up the LFO but turn up the LFO delay so it fades in later on, consider using a software editor that can transmit to it.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Zarithas posted:

With specific sounds I had okay luck looking up tutorials for programming similar sounds and figuring out how to get the parts I wanted by recreating and messing (I did this with e piano patches a lot) but I never felt like I could think of, and then generate a sound like I could with more straight forward synths. Modifying presets works as well.

But I had the best luck with just getting rid of my ideas about making specific sounds, and just finding operator ratios I liked and pressing buttons til something cool happened.

I'm kind of doing that right now, actually, mashing refresh on my Volca FM tracking number

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Detune the voices from each other, try different algorithms, crank up the feedback, turn up the LFO but turn up the LFO delay so it fades in later on, consider using a software editor that can transmit to it.

Excellent tips and username

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Bass station 2 trip report: holy crap this thing is great. I keep making silly noises and not getting around to anything serious, but now I understand half my favourite acid tracks so much better. Playing lead with just the factory patches is the best fun I've had in years! I do wish the step sequencer/arpeggiator was a little more full-featured, but I can manage.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Speaking of Novation, they just updated the Circuit and came out with some web-based tools that let you back that poo poo up and load your own samples into it. Between that and the patch editor from Isotonik, it's a lot more flexible than it was upon release.

They also beefed up midi integration, and added a step editor that sounds like it'll let you do Elektron parameter lock style stuff.

Mario Incandenza
Aug 24, 2000

Tell me, small fry, have you ever heard of the golden Triumph Forks?
The Circuit is a nice bit of gear, have had lots of fun noodling around on mine. Good to see Novation showing it some love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Also, it's apparently "the first of many" updates according to SonicState.

The Circuit seemed really interesting but never really grabbed me (tbh, I think part of it might be Novation's industrial design as of late compared to other companies. Like, the Circuit has always looked sort of toylike to me for some reason, in a bad way as opposed to how, say- Teenage Engineering's stuff is "toylike") but I like how capable of expansion it's proving to be.

I have a sizable wishlist of things to get before I'd really consider it tho: A new MIDI keyboard...some recording and mic'ing stuff...a Minilogue...a Push 2...drum lessons...some pedals...the space to put it all...