Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I used to work for a company that the owner started out selling bootleg and legit Simpsons t-shirts on the beach.

Playing PC games from floppies then getting a CDrom and hearing everyone in Monkey Island TALK. HOLY poo poo! Hell, even getting a sound card for the first time was a huge thing. I played through all of X-com 1 and TIE Fighter without any sound before being gifted a second hand adlib card.

Though of course, messing with IRQs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

twistedmentat posted:

Though of course, messing with IRQs.

Dude. gently caress IRQs.

Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...
Was reminded of this toy today, pretty much a Creepy Crawlers with metal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=El9DwAycF04
Pretty much as it shows, you would melt down little pewter BBs and pour it into a rubber mold. I remember using it to make my own pieces for board games me and my brother would make up.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Clitch posted:

Dude. gently caress IRQs.

Lord help you if you hosed up moving the little dohickee around.

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

I just discovered this, and it might be the most early '90s things I've seen.

Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventures:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iv82iJ_MT4

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

twistedmentat posted:

Lord help you if you hosed up moving the little dohickee around.

I had a roommate who was too lazy to hook up the front panel leads from his motherboard to his case so he bridged the atx power leads with a jumper. Eventually he lost the jumper and we just used a car key to bridge the pins and turn on the computer.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Komojo posted:

I just discovered this, and it might be the most early '90s things I've seen.

Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventures:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iv82iJ_MT4

I remember Reeves and Winters appearing on Arsenio Hall and talking about doing this show, and versely having ZERO to do with the awful live action show they tried to do on Fox. They also brought a box of the tie-in breakfast cereal and Hall made an audience member eat a bowl for everyone and tell us all how good it was.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The best 90s cartoons were the ones based on Alien, Terminator, and Robocop because it totally makes sense to market those to children. I saw Terminator 2 when I was 7 and it ruled.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
Same

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mu Zeta posted:

The best 90s cartoons were the ones based on Alien, Terminator, and Robocop because it totally makes sense to market those to children. I saw Terminator 2 when I was 7 and it ruled.

I never knew there were ones for Terminator and Alien :suspense:.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I might be thinking of Alien/Terminator toys for kids.

vannevar
Jan 27, 2013

The war goes on.

Mu Zeta posted:

I saw Terminator 2 when I was 7 and it ruled.

Yeah it did. I had this as a kid, too:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

I might be thinking of Alien/Terminator toys for kids.

Oh yeah, those were huge, and totally tied in with the NOT for kids Dark Horse comics...I had a bunch of them.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I never knew there were ones for Terminator and Alien :suspense:.

Choco1980 posted:

Oh yeah, those were huge, and totally tied in with the NOT for kids Dark Horse comics...I had a bunch of them.

The early 90s Aliens toys were actually originally for an Aliens cartoon called "Operation Aliens". The cartoon was never actually released but the toys were.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

moller posted:

I had a roommate who was too lazy to hook up the front panel leads from his motherboard to his case so he bridged the atx power leads with a jumper. Eventually he lost the jumper and we just used a car key to bridge the pins and turn on the computer.

I know someone who's dad fixed their computer by putting a penny in the slot for the battery. He dad is an electrical engineer and was "hey it works".

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

The early 90s Aliens toys were actually originally for an Aliens cartoon called "Operation Aliens". The cartoon was never actually released but the toys were.

Think of all the decisions that had to be made to get that thing into production. At every step, when someone asked "is a cartoon about a graphic horror film really appropriate for kids?" they were told "yes, yes it is."

Did it ever get leaked?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Plavski posted:

Think of all the decisions that had to be made to get that thing into production. At every step, when someone asked "is a cartoon about a graphic horror film really appropriate for kids?" they were told "yes, yes it is."

Did it ever get leaked?

Well, the Toxic Avenger got it's own cartoon :pseudo:

Though they never got the Kabuki Man cartoon picked up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6WGpiH7Sgw

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Section Z posted:

I had the toys for that. And, come to think of it, I had the Aliens toys too. Weird.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember there used to be a CGI cartoon based on the movie version of Starship Troopers - it was on in the morning before I went to school. I distinctly remember one episode where Rico is non-graphically disembowelled (or close to it) by a bug and survives until he's rescued using a giant sticking plaster.

Might not have been 1990s, though. If it was it was at the tail-end.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember there used to be a CGI cartoon based on the movie version of Starship Troopers - it was on in the morning before I went to school. I distinctly remember one episode where Rico is non-graphically disembowelled (or close to it) by a bug and survives until he's rescued using a giant sticking plaster.

Might not have been 1990s, though. If it was it was at the tail-end.

Starship Troopers: Roughneck Chronicles. And those motherfuckers canned it three loving episodes before it was supposed to definitively end :argh:.

Seriously, if you haven't seen Roughneck Chronicles it's well worth a watch.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Section Z posted:

Though they never got the Kabuki Man cartoon picked up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6WGpiH7Sgw

There was a lot of weird things picked up in the late 80s and very early 90s to compete with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, including yes, Toxie. The whole creation of Kabukiman was because of that show's success. Namco (yes THAT Namco) wanted their own new fresh superhero franchise complete with live action movie, cartoon and toy lines, and successful video game franchise. So they went to Troma, who had the Toxic Crusaders franchise, and were very respectful of the country and its culture when making Toxic Avenger 2 (unlike most US based filmmakers that got permission to film in Japan in the 80s). Their big mistake was allowing Lloyd Kaufman to do the heavy lifting with the initial live action film, and he doesn't exactly have "kid-friendly restraint". This is a film that features our hero wrap up a prostitute and chop her up like sushi, and send a "magic rope" up a dude's butt like a snake, not to mention a lady cop get gang-raped nearly to death. Namco...wasn't happy. In his memoirs (written a little over 15 years ago) Kaufman wrote that it was probably his biggest regret career wise.

Speaking of the Toxic Crusaders, there was at one point talks for a live action film from New Line. Kaufman has said that he's fairly certain the entire project was simply leverage for New Line as they were at risk of losing the rights to make TMNT 3. Troma sued New Line and settled for undisclosed numbers. However, on older Troma DVDs there's a secret Easter Egg in the "tour Troma Studios" section (you have to hit left to highlight "Hollywood") that dramatizes the whole experience.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
How popular was Double Dragon that Hollywood needed to get a film adaptation of it? Was it just so one studio could try to pre-empt any hype for the Street Fighter movie that was coming out a month later?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
When Ronnie Reagan lifted the restrictions on advertising to children the floodgates opened to try and sell goddamn anything for toys.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

vannevar posted:

Yeah it did. I had this as a kid, too:

HOLY poo poo
I had this and had completely forgotten. He did constant battle with Genie from Aladdin.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Plavski posted:

I had the toys for that. And, come to think of it, I had the Aliens toys too. Weird.

Were your parents by any chance lovers of discount stores? Both those figure lines used to show up in places like Consumers Distributing in massive quantities for super cheap. My local KB Toys still had Aliens figures in the late 90's that had been sitting on clearance for years and years.

Star Man posted:

How popular was Double Dragon that Hollywood needed to get a film adaptation of it? Was it just so one studio could try to pre-empt any hype for the Street Fighter movie that was coming out a month later?

Massively, it completely changed the face of multiplayer arcade games until SFII showed up. The early 90's was basically a make or break time for Technos, they hadn't been able to bridge the gap between the NES and the SNES very well and their later arcade games weren't bringing in the cash like the old ones so they decided to try and make double dragon a "thing" and licensed it to be a movie and an animated TV show. They made a few really poo poo Double Dragon games like the two fighters, became a sort of second party developer for SNK/Neo Geo and then basically died with the SNK buyout. The last really decent thing they did with the license was grant it to a totally unknown developer to make a team based KoF clone fighting game. But then those people promptly lost the license and it was released as a sort of not a real Double Dragon fighter called Rage of the Dragons which is probably the best actual Double Dragon game made after Double Dragon 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqSdgPk1yFw

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Were your parents by any chance lovers of discount stores? Both those figure lines used to show up in places like Consumers Distributing in massive quantities for super cheap. My local KB Toys still had Aliens figures in the late 90's that had been sitting on clearance for years and years.

Nah, I'd grown out of them by the late 90s. I would've been proudly smashing them together in cornflakes box diaramas in about '91 or '92.

Jello Robot
Feb 17, 2011

Massively, it completely changed the face of multiplayer arcade games until SFII showed up.

My dad used to run an arcade machine business until the mid-nineties, supplying games to various locations. When Double Dragon came out it was crazy, like opening up the cash box and the overflow of quarters would pour out the door onto the floor kind of crazy.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I totally bought my crap ton of aliens and predators toys in the late 90s when they were already dirt cheap myself and had been on the shelf for years.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Massively, it completely changed the face of multiplayer arcade games until SFII showed up. The early 90's was basically a make or break time for Technos, they hadn't been able to bridge the gap between the NES and the SNES very well and their later arcade games weren't bringing in the cash like the old ones so they decided to try and make double dragon a "thing" and licensed it to be a movie and an animated TV show. They made a few really poo poo Double Dragon games like the two fighters, became a sort of second party developer for SNK/Neo Geo and then basically died with the SNK buyout. The last really decent thing they did with the license was grant it to a totally unknown developer to make a team based KoF clone fighting game. But then those people promptly lost the license and it was released as a sort of not a real Double Dragon fighter called Rage of the Dragons which is probably the best actual Double Dragon game made after Double Dragon 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqSdgPk1yFw

My experience with Double Dragon is playing the first NES game at my cousin's house in another state in 1994. I've seen the movie more times than I've played the game, so I completely missed Double Dragon's popularity. But, my experience with most arcade games is through emulation and console ports. Not many new arcade games came through central Wyoming.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Question about The Simpsons: one criticism that's been made against the show for the past 10 years or so is that it follows trends and tries too hard to be topical like South Park. Was this the case in the 1990s during its "golden age"? I've seen all those episodes, but only after the fact, so I can't really place most of them in their proper context.

It also occurred to me recently that I've only ever seen two full episodes from the first season of The Simpsons (I've seen "Simpsons Roasting On An Open Fire" and "Some Enchanted Evening"). I've seen every episode from season two through to the end of season eleven or so, but I've never seen something like 90% of season one.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
At the time of old Simpsons it would have been very difficult to be topical, in the same way south park is now, due to the time between production and airing.

It did have its moments though, like they slipped in a crack at Bush sr. by inserting a scene where Homer makes a jab back at him for insulting the Simpsons.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Star Man posted:

My experience with Double Dragon is playing the first NES game at my cousin's house in another state in 1994. I've seen the movie more times than I've played the game, so I completely missed Double Dragon's popularity. But, my experience with most arcade games is through emulation and console ports. Not many new arcade games came through central Wyoming.

The other thing you have to remember is that the arcade game all but invented the beat em up genre. And even then, the main big game that preceded it was Renegade, which was also by Technos (Licensed by Taito) and is in many ways its immediate antecedent.

Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France
Creator of the Code Napoleon
Conqueror of the Ziggy Piggy
I don't remember seeing this posted.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RagnarokAngel posted:

It did have its moments though, like they slipped in a crack at Bush sr. by inserting a scene where Homer makes a jab back at him for insulting the Simpsons.

Speaking of Bush and the Simpsons, I've heard that when they did the story where Homer pranks Bush with cardboard cutouts of his sons, the writers weren't 100% sure if there actually was a "George Bush Jr." and went with it anyway because it would be the kind of stupidly transparent trick Homer would try, because Jeb was the high-profile one (and I'm not sure if Dubya was even Governor of Texas when the episode was written) and it was apparently common knowledge that if there was another President Bush, it was going to be Jeb.

I've heard that was the big plan - Jeb was supposed to become Governor of Florida in 1994, then go for the presidency in 2000, but he lost his race while Dubya won his, so they shifted the plan over to him.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I just wish MTV would give us proper Celebrity Deathmatch dvd sets :sigh:.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I just wish MTV would give us proper Celebrity Deathmatch dvd sets :sigh:.

If it's anything like Daria's DVD set was, it's stuck in licensure hell.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Terminator 2 is a children's movie thematically

it just has violence and cussing

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Star Man posted:

Putting current music on MTV's cartoons seemed like such a good idea at the time...

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

Question about The Simpsons: one criticism that's been made against the show for the past 10 years or so is that it follows trends and tries too hard to be topical like South Park. Was this the case in the 1990s during its "golden age"? I've seen all those episodes, but only after the fact, so I can't really place most of them in their proper context.

It also occurred to me recently that I've only ever seen two full episodes from the first season of The Simpsons (I've seen "Simpsons Roasting On An Open Fire" and "Some Enchanted Evening"). I've seen every episode from season two through to the end of season eleven or so, but I've never seen something like 90% of season one.

RagnarokAngel posted:

At the time of old Simpsons it would have been very difficult to be topical, in the same way south park is now, due to the time between production and airing.

This is an important point. Back when it was animated by hand, it would take months to make an episode, so it could explore cultural trends and realities but had to do it without seeming dated or old news by the time it aired. Look at the Wikipedia page on Politics in The Simpsons and watch a couple of episodes from even a few seasons apart that deal with the same theme to get an idea of how it's changed, the first pair they mention is Homer's Phobia (season 8) and There's Something About Marrying (season 16) and I think it provides a good contrast. Keep in mind that Fox originally refused to air Homer's Phobia and objected to using the word "gay" on-air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Star Man posted:

I got them and it's so weird missing the music, Mission Hill suffers from the same problem.