Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
yosposfs is actually btrfs because it's a bad filesystem and it's pronounced butterfs and yosposters never shut the gently caress up about food

(except in this thread for some reason, maybe because we linux users are a bunch of emaciated losers or something idk)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mr Dog posted:

yosposfs is actually btrfs because it's a bad filesystem and it's pronounced butterfs and yosposters never shut the gently caress up about food

(except in this thread for some reason, maybe because we linux users are a bunch of emaciated losers or something idk)

fscked up if true

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Soricidus posted:

fat already exists tho?

:chanpop:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

i used xfs briefly back in the linux 2.4 days. it would reliably zero out every single file that was open at the time of a system crash. every single time. suffice it to say i didn't touch xfs again after that.

xfs practically requires write barriers, because without them, you end up with corrupt/missing data.

linux 2.4 didn't have write barriers. early versions of linux 2.6 did have write barrier support, but wouldn't handle write barriers correctly on lvm/md devices, which meant that they were still largely unused. (this has been fixed for a few years now, thank god.)

in the bad old days, if you wanted your data to remain intact, you used ext3 w/ data journaling enabled :(

Mr Dog posted:

then again, linux itself pre 2.6 was a toy and you would have been a fool to trust it with anything important.

linux 2.4 was a loving crapsack shitshow

they decided not to postpone forking off a new development kernel (linux 2.5) and just kept developing major changes in the "stable" 2.4 line. so all linux systems everywhere, even red hat, crashed constantly, for years, due to feature/bug churn.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

atomicthumbs posted:

also fs compression rules because if you have a semi-modern processor instead of a Cyrix or whatever it makes computer faster. btrfs supports both LZO and LZMA so you can choose LZO for low overhead if you're not entirely storing compressible data

lvm already has a compression layer that doesn't depend on somebody's buggy layer-violating code that replaces half the vfs

nobody uses it, because fs compression solves the wrong problem

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Mr Dog posted:

it's a copy-on-write fs that completely shits the bed performance-wise if you try to store anything nontrivial on it like a database or (ironically) a systemd binary journal (systemd has a btrfs-specific workaround in it for this problem).

zfs has similar design goals but none of btrfs' performance problems.

btrfs also has a nasty habit of suddenly running out of disk space despite claiming that you have plenty of disk space free. they might have fixed this recently idk.

also compression and encryption are better handled at the application layer, for the same reasons as in computer networking. to give one example, LZMA and H.264 are both types of "compression". which is appropriate depends on the application and the expected access patterns.

but lennart poettering has a huge boner for btrfs so he's going force people to use it anyway.

boohoo I have to write "chattr +C" on my folder filled with VM disk images, this filesystem is purebred poo poo

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

copy on write owns

those freespace mostly stemmed from btrfs using a background worker (btrfs-freespace) to count how much free space you had left, often not updating fast enough if you deleted/created large files when running low on space.

linux 4.5 introduced a new freespace tracking mechanism made by facebook, you can try it out with the mount option space_cache=v2

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:
heads up

arch linux updated to gtk3 3.20 and now a lot of themes are broken until updated

instead of just defaulting to the standard theme things will just be transparent and hosed

lol

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Zom Aur posted:

heads up

arch linux updated to gtk3 3.20 and now a lot of themes are broken until updated

instead of just defaulting to the standard theme things will just be transparent and hosed

lol

it's not a bug it's a feature arch

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lvm already has a compression layer that doesn't depend on somebody's buggy layer-violating code that replaces half the vfs

nobody uses it, because fs compression solves the wrong problem

My problem: linux is too large.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Arch is such trash. It's the new Gentoo.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

purestrain packages and wannabe hackers

its swell

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

eschaton posted:

FreeBSD is good and doesn't have systemd

because it's just going to use launchd rather than a clone

i tried to use the new freebsd release at work but the thing that installs pkg refused to take proxy information from $http_proxy or $https_proxy so I gave up

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
last week I found out apparently were one of the last big users of AIX, which is cool in a terrifying sort of way

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

ahmeni posted:

last week I found out apparently were one of the last big users of AIX, which is cool in a terrifying sort of way

1. i read this as "one of the last big users of atx" which would also seem to be long overdue

2. what lunix on the workstation are people using instead

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

ahmeni posted:

you work for ibm?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Zom Aur posted:

heads up

lol

theming and transparent terminals

two inexplicable obsessions of people who don't use their computers to do actual work

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

blowfish posted:

1. i read this as "one of the last big users of atx" which would also seem to be long overdue

2. what lunix on the workstation are people using instead

no these are giant fuckin powerpc servers, most poo poo is transitioning to regular RHEL7 for humans

carry on then posted:

you work for ibm?

anyone who runs websphere on their platform does, imo

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Mr Dog posted:

theming and transparent terminals

two inexplicable obsessions of people who don't use their computers to do actual work
No poo poo

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I use transparent terminals for work :)

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

I use transparent terminals for work :)

Sometimes people use their computers for things other than work too. That's also fine

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
having a theme people notice would require people being able to stand your smell long enough to get close to you

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

ahmeni posted:

having a theme people notice would require people being able to stand your smell long enough to get close to you

Nah, just snapchat them photos of your monitor

Easy

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I actually use the transparent terminal to put RFC's up in a PDF while I type on the Terminal.

Also my terminal is Black background Orange font. :v:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Tankakern posted:

boohoo I have to write "chattr +C" on my folder filled with VM disk images, this filesystem is purebred poo poo

this, but unironically

searching for non-standard chattrs because running a VM sucks poo poo shouldn't be a normal part of the user experience.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ahmeni posted:

same

it's sad and terrible. i am so glad i don't have to port code to/from those beasts

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Zom Aur posted:

Sometimes people use their computers for things other than work too. That's also fine

Theming is still tacky though.

I mean, it's still not great that GNOME breaks compatibility, don't get me wrong.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
most of the compat breaks are due to us supporting more css because theming authors want that, and then get mad when their * { background-color: gray; } selectors match on more elements than it did last release

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

most of the compat breaks are due to us supporting more css because theming authors want that, and then get mad when their * { background-color: gray; } selectors match on more elements than it did last release
Yeah, that's how i understood it too, but when poo poo breaks without warning and it just results in mutter segfaulting it's kinda bad

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

ratbert90 posted:

Just as I was glad gentoo existed, I'm glad arch exists, for the exact same reason: if you have a problem, any problem, with your lunix, just google it. Someone already had it on gentoo/arch.

I'd never use it myself thou

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
yeah the only reason i like arch is due to its wiki and the forums

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

i like debian because their mailing lists are so easy to read

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
mailing lists are the dumbest possible way to do conversation chains and its really telling that they're super popular with Linux users.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
iḿ going to have to agree with shaggar that email is retarded for real time chat

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its retarded for turn based chat too, but we use it because its the least common denominator between organizations. mailing lists exist to fulfill intra-organizational chat which belongs on the web either in a forums or web chat or both.

of course Linux users are dumb as gently caress so they'll just go and create multithreaded conversation forums

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Shaggar posted:

mailing lists are the dumbest possible way to do conversation chains and its really telling that they're super popular with Linux users.

Celexi posted:

iḿ going to have to agree with shaggar that email is retarded for real time chat

it's almost impossible to get the link right if you're trying to find someones problem/solution in a series of emails. conversations or replies just vanish

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah, don't use email.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
also the mailing list archives are always served from a potato connected to the internet with a clothes line

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

super agreed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Shaggar posted:

its retarded for turn based chat too, but we use it because its the least common denominator between organizations. mailing lists exist to fulfill intra-organizational chat which belongs on the web either in a forums or web chat or both.

of course Linux users are dumb as gently caress so they'll just go and create multithreaded conversation forums

the best part is they do that so it looks like a mailing list archive