Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Endman posted:

How stupid would it be to have some Blood Angels breacher marines? Or should I just stick to Ultras and paint the shields red for my red fix?

I just love red is all.

Breacher marines are a good way of getting melta in a fairly cheap troop slot. A ten man squad can take 2 plus a combi-melta if I'm not mistaken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?
I've been sitting on two sets of BaC for a while now. I'm thinking about making them Word Bearers. How would you kit these models? Would you make them all tacticals, or is it possible to turn them into other units that would be viable?

Also, if I were to put in a FW order, what would be the best bang for my buck? I was thinking about getting a few upgrade sets to vary the models a bit. Any must have units for a starting WB army?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Your basic Power Armor marines can be run as either standard Tacticals or as Veterans. They basically look the same unless you optionally bling them out.
They can also stand in for Support/Heavy Weapon units, but those requires that EVERYONE carry the same weapon... so not using the BAC bits.

Anyway, the first one is important because the Pride of the Legion rite of war allows Veterans and Terminators as troops.

The Charismastic Leadership requirement is covered by the Chaplain character.
To allow the rite of war you need a Praetor or Delegatus, covered by the Terminator character.

You then have your scoring units of termies and veterans. Your vets have a lot of flexibility, so here's some ideas:
- Power weapons and Furious Charge for beating people up.
- 2x flamers and Sniper to do some sick precision flaming.
- 2x heavy bolters (suspensor webs!) and Sniper again to drop some AP2 goodness.

For their unique stuff:

Gal Vorbak - Great CC units, can deepstrike.
Ashen Circle - CC jumpers with flamers, not very good overall as they suffer from the huge point tax on jump pack assault troops.
Mhara Gal - Freaky dreadnought monster, very fun but quite costly and, for said cost, very vulnerable.
Zardu Layak & Blade-Slaves - Zardu is IMO the best special HQ of the WB, but should be kept with Gal Vorbak and not the Slaves.

As for what to buy from FW, outside of aesthetic bits? I'd say you really want to first figure out what kind of army to run.
For example, Word Bearers do two very unique things in HH: more psykers than anyone (till the TS get rules at least!) and bringing daemons to the battle. You can do both using their unique rite of war, The Dark Brethren, but what you'd want to buy would be very different.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!
Two Calth sets means they have six plasmaguns, meltaguns, flamers, missile launchers and heavy bolters, so that's a fair set of choices for support or heavy squads. Throw some scopes and such on some bolters and you can easily make Seekers, too, though that'll eat into your combiweapon stocks and you might want some of those for tactical sergeants and characters.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
A good way to distinguish between normal troops and veterans in the calth box would be to use the bumpy shoulder pads for the vets. I would stick either the missile launchers or heavy bolters with vets, since they can move and shoot with them. It's a bit points heavy, but ten with 2 missile launchers in a rhino make some decent anti-tank.

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!
Zardu Layak also let's you take Ashen Circle squads as troops if he's your warlord, which isn't likely to be particularly useful.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
it's actually extremely likely to be useful as the ashen circle are loving great looking

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

muskets posted:

Two Calth sets means they have six plasmaguns, meltaguns, flamers, missile launchers and heavy bolters, so that's a fair set of choices for support or heavy squads. Throw some scopes and such on some bolters and you can easily make Seekers, too, though that'll eat into your combiweapon stocks and you might want some of those for tactical sergeants and characters.

Oh right, two boxes. Then yeah that's enough for minimum size units. The plasmas and missiles are the only good ones though, unless you get to pod those meltas.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
So did I go crazy or did they really just take away Dorn's unwieldy for reaping blow, and kept him exactly the same, where they changed mortarion to giving stubborn.
Dude was already really cheap for being a big multiplier for an already really good legion. What a stupid loving primarch.

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 10, 2016

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Loyalist bias :(

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.

Hencoe posted:

So did I go crazy or did they really just take away Dorn's unwieldy for reaping blow, and kept him exactly the same, where they changed mortarion to giving stubborn.
Dude was already really cheap for being a big multiplier for an already really good legion. What a stupid loving primarch.

He still looses in a fight with every other primarch and that's all that matters!

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Got pretty hard for Heresy yesterday with my buddy Will - battle report is on http://goodbadgreenskin.tumblr.com/

Some pictures of the madness (1850pts Dominion)

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

krursk posted:

He still looses in a fight with every other primarch and that's all that matters!

He beats Alpharius.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Does anyone have a saved copy of the leviathan PDF that was online before the new book came out? Don't want to have to spend £70 on a book for one model...

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

DJ Dizzy posted:

He beats Alpharius.

The dude could beat a lot of people if he can activate reaping blow/rampage. 7-9 attacks on the charge hitting most primarchs on 3s because WS8.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Lord Twisted posted:

Does anyone have a saved copy of the leviathan PDF that was online before the new book came out? Don't want to have to spend £70 on a book for one model...

It's the first result on google last time I looked.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

That's the 40k version from what I can see!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
e: Do you loose the benefits from a formation when one of the units is destroyed?

Wrong thread sorry

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 10, 2016

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

No, unless the unit is part of the requisites to benefit from the formation, like the Necron bugbot one where you have to measure from the Spyder.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Lord Twisted posted:

That's the 40k version from what I can see!

Ah yeah, sorry :(

Best I can find is these shots from the weekender, but things may have changed since then.

http://allies-of-convenience.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/leviathan-dreadnought-rules.html

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Lord Twisted posted:

http://i.imgur.com/G8Yy8VE.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/aqDSXjv.jpg

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Cheers guys, much appreciated.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
This dude is here to help take down all the tanks I've been seeing lately

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/blog/blog.jsp?_requestid=14730674

Soon.......

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Man when are they gonna be done making space janitor robots

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

I'm more amazed they actually did an iron warriors unit.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
It's amazing that it's a new unit from a new book and not something we've been waiting to have for 2 years

e: Nice to see some hard for heresy action, Lord Twisted. Your table makes me realize how much more LOS blocking cover we need to build for ours :(

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Apr 12, 2016

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

It's amazing that it's a new unit from a new book and not something any of the 4 units or characters we've been waiting to have for 2 years

Also they are just kind of eh outside of being a massive meat shield, (as is tradition) 100 points a swing basically.

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Apr 12, 2016

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

BULBASAUR posted:

It's amazing that it's a new unit from a new book and not something we've been waiting to have for 2 years

e: Nice to see some hard for heresy action, Lord Twisted. Your table makes me realize how much more LOS blocking cover we need to build for ours :(

I'm lucky that there is a shop - Amera- that is UK based and does dirt cheap vacuum formed terrain which is trivial to airbrush up. Has meant I can expand my terrain stores quite quickly to get a full board going!

Next project is working on some sort of river for some area terrain shenanigans.

Edit: does anyone here run Raven Guard who can give me some tips? Toying with it as my next army.

Lord Twisted fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Apr 12, 2016

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

They replaced this picture of Pert in the new book and that's extremely sad.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Knock like 50 points off these fuckers and they become slightly more usable.

I love how all my crappy portrait edits turn into 4chan memes and make their way here :allears:

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

I got some of the Phaistos Heavy Flamers with the long cables to attach to the backpacks. What do you guys recommend doing to heat up the cables to bend them? This will be the first time I've tackled something like that.

Also, I gripped a set of the Sons of Horus conversion torsos. Gonna use one for a Death Guard Chaplain. They make great bits for any Traitor character.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I appreciate this game

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

DrPop posted:

I got some of the Phaistos Heavy Flamers with the long cables to attach to the backpacks. What do you guys recommend doing to heat up the cables to bend them? This will be the first time I've tackled something like that.

Also, I gripped a set of the Sons of Horus conversion torsos. Gonna use one for a Death Guard Chaplain. They make great bits for any Traitor character.

Near boiling water. Dunk the cables in there for 30 seconds or so and then quickly bend them into shape.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Kakophoni are now bonkers with Heavy 2 and Relentless due to the RoW.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

Near boiling water. Dunk the cables in there for 30 seconds or so and then quickly bend them into shape.

Dumb question, presumably this would work for deredeo ammo feeds as well?

\/ thank you. I would like one but I am occasionally a impatient ham fisted moron when it comes to painting and modelling\/

JackMack fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Apr 13, 2016

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

JackMack posted:

Yes, anything resin.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Currently assembling a Leviathan. Truly a lovely kit. Really good job by FW.

EDIT:

Magnetised the shoulders and the weapons so I can put together the drill and storm cannon later, but Im a bit tired now.

Salamanders Leviathan, name not yet picked:

Lord Twisted fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

JackMack posted:

\/ thank you. I would like one but I am occasionally a impatient ham fisted moron when it comes to painting and modelling\/

Alternately, I use a Wagner heat gun I bought from amazon for like $20. After using the water method for years, I find a heat gun to be much faster and easier on everything from smaller cables and bits to straightening realm of battle tiles.