Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Good_Parenting.Jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Looks like Han Solomon Grundy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Born on a Monday, died on a gangway.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

:allears:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

It really does seem like the best way to ensure you get 20 square feet of personal space at a con is to turn up dressed as a Yu-gi-oh character, doesn't it?

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Well, excessive body size and odor don't seem to work, so I guess it was only a matter of time before somebody found a way to keep some personal space.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Looks like Han Solomon Grundy.

Aphrodite posted:

Born on a Monday, died on a gangway.

What a one-two punch :allears:

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

http://i.imgur.com/uVYH9Hd.webm

These transforming dresses are getting more and more impressive.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Genderbent Fury Road cosplay by https://www.facebook.com/coregeekcc/

They're related to the Leia and Han posted earlier. :)

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
I feel like Immortan Joan put a lot more work into her costume that everyone else.

goodbyebluesky
Sep 14, 2007

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

gollum kid is killing it

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
So... I kind of got that Mega Man helmet and buster. Normally I'd just let them sit on a shelf and look cool and not actually wear them, but the thought has come across my mind of doing a Mega Man costume. The unfortunate thing is however, that whenever someone does a Mega Man costume, it always looks incredibly weird, especially when you're a grown rear end man. Granted, I'm pretty short and could probably pass for a teenager when I shave, but still.

So basically, if I do this, I'd have to take some serious liberties with his design. Instead of going around in spandex, I think Mega Man would look better wearing some Iron Man-style body armor. I've noticed that Mega Man Volnutt from the Legends series looks way less weird in 3D with adult proportions than the classic Mega Man or X, so I would have to do some kind of hybrid Mega Man. And maybe do away with the Superman underwear he wears on top of his clothes and just wear you know, pants.

So basically what I'm getting at is does anyone here know how to do Iron Man style body armor?

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Gammatron 64 posted:

So... I kind of got that Mega Man helmet and buster. Normally I'd just let them sit on a shelf and look cool and not actually wear them, but the thought has come across my mind of doing a Mega Man costume. The unfortunate thing is however, that whenever someone does a Mega Man costume, it always looks incredibly weird, especially when you're a grown rear end man. Granted, I'm pretty short and could probably pass for a teenager when I shave, but still.

So basically, if I do this, I'd have to take some serious liberties with his design. Instead of going around in spandex, I think Mega Man would look better wearing some Iron Man-style body armor. I've noticed that Mega Man Volnutt from the Legends series looks way less weird in 3D with adult proportions than the classic Mega Man or X, so I would have to do some kind of hybrid Mega Man. And maybe do away with the Superman underwear he wears on top of his clothes and just wear you know, pants.

So basically what I'm getting at is does anyone here know how to do Iron Man style body armor?

I think kydex is your new bestie

Reo
Apr 11, 2003

That'll do, Carlos.
That'll do.

Gammatron 64 posted:

You may want to check out the Cosplay DIY thread in CC.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi5RT9WtBFM

Everyone in this video has a raging case of HPD

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I mentioned this on Twitter, Gammatron, but Iron Man-styled armor might, well, be a bit on-the-nose in addition to being really daunting and maybe not quite right for Mega Man.

I'd suggest a more riot-gear approach. Hard plating where appropriate over a segmented "soft" padding-based undersuit like an extra-thin full-body lifejacket , designed to accommodate free body movement at the seams between the thicker, foam "armor" segments.

Then go classic for the boots and forearms to retain that classic look (and make your existing Buster arm worth using).

It's more sewing but less construction. Deffo more durable and cheaper, too.

You know what, I might sketch this.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Snatch Duster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi5RT9WtBFM

Everyone in this video has a raging case of HPD

I too believe that people having fun and enjoying themselves is a Mental Illness. *Takes a huge hit off vaporizer* *tips fedora*

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

VendaGoat posted:

I too believe that people having fun and enjoying themselves is a Mental Illness. *Takes a huge hit off vaporizer* *tips fedora*

If you like to have fun by dressing up as a fictional character, taking pictures and videos with random people for attention more often than once a year, I got news for you. That is the definition of HPD.

Congrats, on having a personality disorder. Maybe you should visit your local therapist.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
How in the poo poo is Quiet staying packed in there

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

I mentioned this on Twitter, Gammatron, but Iron Man-styled armor might, well, be a bit on-the-nose in addition to being really daunting and maybe not quite right for Mega Man.

I'd suggest a more riot-gear approach. Hard plating where appropriate over a segmented "soft" padding-based undersuit like an extra-thin full-body lifejacket , designed to accommodate free body movement at the seams between the thicker, foam "armor" segments.

Then go classic for the boots and forearms to retain that classic look (and make your existing Buster arm worth using).

It's more sewing but less construction. Deffo more durable and cheaper, too.

You know what, I might sketch this.

That's actually kind of what I was thinking of. The image in my head is kind of a cross between Mega Man from the Megamix manga and Mega Man Volnutt from Legends. Armored bits on top of a black or navy blue undersuit.

Classic Mega Man doesn't really have a lot of definition or detailing on his torso - it's just flat blue. I'm thinking of having some semi-bulky upper torso armor that's kinda like Mega Man Volnutt's, but in light blue with a dark blue collar like the original Mega Man. Because Mega Man doesn't have much detail on his torso, I figure the little square door on his chest from the manga would add a little more. Likewise, I noticed in Smash 4, Mega Man has lines on his body so it isn't just a flat blue jumpsuit.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Snatch Duster posted:

If you like to have fun by dressing up as a fictional character, taking pictures and videos with random people for attention more often than once a year, I got news for you. That is the definition of HPD.

Congrats, on having a personality disorder. Maybe you should visit your local therapist.

3/10 trolling

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Gammatron I tweeted some notions at you.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I also haven't ever really cosplayed before or dressed up for anything other than Halloween. The only things that make me consider it is that I have a Mega Man helmet and gun and figure "well, I might as well use them for something" and I dressed up as Big Boss from MGS3 for Halloween and people really liked the costume and said I should wear it to anime cons and I figure if I already have that, I might as well, too. I can't be both Snake and Mega Man though, because I have to shave off my beard if I'm gonna be Mega Man.

I do kinda get the sense that a lot of cosplayers are semi-crazy attention whores, though. And it's probably not the best hobby for me because I'm pretty reserved when around strangers and only really feel at ease with people I know.

But I love the poo poo out of Mega Man and have his helmet and buster displayed proudly in my home and a part of me secretly kinda want to run around pretend shooting stuff. And sliding. And jumping through doors. I had a lot of fun sneaking around and smoking cigars as Big Boss on Halloween and people got a kick out of it.

I also have Terry Bogard's hat. It was $15 and I always wanted a trucker hat with Fatal Fury on it.

VendaGoat posted:

3/10 trolling

Hey, that kinda works sorta! Maybe I could like, spraypaint some BMX gear. Or of there's cheap Halo costumes out there.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Gammatron 64 posted:

Hey, that kinda works sorta! Maybe I could like, spraypaint some BMX gear. Or of there's cheap Halo costumes out there.

My picture of that dude are not ready yet, but I got to talk to him.

Pressed and molded foam for the armor. Custom paintjob. He put a speaker in the chest piece, wired to a mic in his helmet, his phone in the left breast and a battery pack in the right breast. The apple watch on his left, camera right, controls the volume and music.

So, dude had his own music and voice projected through a speaker system.

I forgot to ask him what he used for the underarmor.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

VendaGoat posted:

3/10 trolling

The word personality describes deeply ingrained patterns of behavior and the manner in which individuals perceive, relate to, and think about themselves and their world. Personality traits are conspicuous features of personality and are not necessarily pathological, although certain styles of personality may cause interpersonal problems.

Personality disorders, though, are rigid, inflexible and maladaptive, causing impairment in functioning or internal distress. A personality disorder is an enduring pattern of inner experience and behavior that deviates markedly from the expectations of the individual's culture, is pervasive and inflexible, has an onset in adolescence or early adulthood, is stable over time and leads to distress or impairment.

Individuals with Histrionic Personality Disorder exhibit excessive emotionalism--a tendency to regard things in an emotional manner--and are attention seekers. People with this disorder are uncomfortable or feel unappreciated when they are not the center of attention. Behaviors may include constant seeking of approval or attention, self-dramatization, theatricality, and striking self-centeredness or sexual seductiveness in inappropriate situations, including social, occupational and professional relationships beyond what is appropriate for the social context. They may be lively and dramatic and initially charm new acquaintances by their enthusiasm, apparent openness, or flirtatiousness. They commandeer the role of "the life of the party". Personal interests and conversation will be self-focused. They use physical appearance to draw attention to themselves. Emotional expression may be shallow and rapidly shifting. Their style of speech is excessively impressionistic and lacking in detail. They may do well with jobs that value and require imagination and creativity but will probably have difficulty with tasks that demand logical or analytical thinking. The disorder occurs more frequently in women though that may be because it is more often diagnosed in women than men.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/conditions/histrionic-personality-disorder

Bolded parts highlight everyone in that video, and safely almost all cosplayers attending any convention. These conventions are trade shows for their industry to sell products, announce releases, and continual education for people working in the industry. Cosplayers showed up and perverted the purpose. Can't wait till cosplayers start showing up to NAFED and World of Concrete trade shows.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Calm down, Datch Snuster. Post a cosplay.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Snatch Duster posted:

The word personality describes deeply ingrained patterns of behavior and the manner in which individuals perceive, relate to, and think about themselves and their world. Personality traits are conspicuous features of personality and are not necessarily pathological, although certain styles of personality may cause interpersonal problems.

Personality disorders, though, are rigid, inflexible and maladaptive, causing impairment in functioning or internal distress. A personality disorder is an enduring pattern of inner experience and behavior that deviates markedly from the expectations of the individual's culture, is pervasive and inflexible, has an onset in adolescence or early adulthood, is stable over time and leads to distress or impairment.

Individuals with Histrionic Personality Disorder exhibit excessive emotionalism--a tendency to regard things in an emotional manner--and are attention seekers. People with this disorder are uncomfortable or feel unappreciated when they are not the center of attention. Behaviors may include constant seeking of approval or attention, self-dramatization, theatricality, and striking self-centeredness or sexual seductiveness in inappropriate situations, including social, occupational and professional relationships beyond what is appropriate for the social context. They may be lively and dramatic and initially charm new acquaintances by their enthusiasm, apparent openness, or flirtatiousness. They commandeer the role of "the life of the party". Personal interests and conversation will be self-focused. They use physical appearance to draw attention to themselves. Emotional expression may be shallow and rapidly shifting. Their style of speech is excessively impressionistic and lacking in detail. They may do well with jobs that value and require imagination and creativity but will probably have difficulty with tasks that demand logical or analytical thinking. The disorder occurs more frequently in women though that may be because it is more often diagnosed in women than men.

Bolded parts highlight everyone in that video, and safely almost all cosplayers attending any convention. These conventions are trade shows for their industry to sell products, announce releases, and continual education for people working in the industry. Cosplayers showed up and perverted the purpose. Can't wait till cosplayers start showing up to NAFED and World of Concrete trade shows.

You do realize by your constant need to get me to agree with you, your bid to show us all just how smart you are and your aggressive manner after being snubbed, means you suffer from this?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Gammatron 64 posted:

I can't be both Snake and Mega Man though, because I have to shave off my beard if I'm gonna be Mega Man.

I totally want to see MegaGruffMan, though. :v:

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Snatch Duster posted:

Sounds like you're seeking attention pretty bad too

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

VendaGoat posted:

You do realize by your constant need to get me to agree with you, your bid to show us all just how smart you are and your aggressive manner after being snubbed, means you suffer from this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib5gqnNL_ys

Check out this video of two cosplayers going on about HPD.

VendaGoat posted:

Actually it doesn't. I think you need to read up a bit more on what HPD is before using as an ad hominem.

Snatch Duster has a new favorite as of 19:35 on Apr 12, 2016

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

I also haven't ever really cosplayed before or dressed up for anything other than Halloween. The only things that make me consider it is that I have a Mega Man helmet and gun and figure "well, I might as well use them for something" and I dressed up as Big Boss from MGS3 for Halloween and people really liked the costume and said I should wear it to anime cons and I figure if I already have that, I might as well, too. I can't be both Snake and Mega Man though, because I have to shave off my beard if I'm gonna be Mega Man.

I do kinda get the sense that a lot of cosplayers are semi-crazy attention whores, though. And it's probably not the best hobby for me because I'm pretty reserved when around strangers and only really feel at ease with people I know.

But I love the poo poo out of Mega Man and have his helmet and buster displayed proudly in my home and a part of me secretly kinda want to run around pretend shooting stuff. And sliding. And jumping through doors. I had a lot of fun sneaking around and smoking cigars as Big Boss on Halloween and people got a kick out of it.

I'm the same way - pretty reserved around strangers, but every year I go to PAX East I think "Yeah, I want to do something." I've planned out Garrus (I'm 6'4" and 180, so totally doable) and Blondie (Clint Eastwood), but either I chicken out at the last minute or realize I have no space in my condo to do things 'right' with all the printing/sanding/bondo/heatmolds/painting that I see people doing, and half-assing it in a 'you tried' sorta manner goes against the grain. I'm actually gonna see about buckling down and putting together the Blondie outfit over the summer with the girlfriend since she thinks I'd look good doing it. Then maybe I'll actually try to do something that involves fabrication, not just sewing.

Just go for it. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out, but at least you can say you did it.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Snatch Duster posted:

...Snatch Duster said, in the de facto Cosplay Enthusiasts thread.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

Easy. Go as Snake Man.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Reversal of fortune?!

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Gammatron 64 posted:

Nope. The majority are just doing it for fun, with a very few doing it to be the "center of attention" or attention whoring. I'm not a fan of attracting a lot of attention either, but I don't mind it while I'm in costume. If you end up feeling uncomfortable with it, go back to your room and change. Easy peezy.

Everything Snatch Duster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5-t8WSQafM

So anyway, have some Guyver cosplay.

Bonus: David Hayter and his stunt double in costume on the set of The Guyver 2: Dark Hero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

The Repo Man posted:

Nope. The majority are just doing it for fun, with a very few doing it to be the "center of attention" or attention whoring. I'm not a fan of attracting a lot of attention either, but I don't mind it while I'm in costume. If you end up feeling uncomfortable with it, go back to your room and change. Easy peezy.

Oh, I'm not saying that all or even the majority of cosplayers are. I have friends who have worn costumes at cons.

I just think there's uh... certain famous career cosplayers who certainly fit the bill of attention seeking narcissists, but I'm not going to name any names because I don't really want to start that poo poo here as that's a big can of worms.

• Locked thread