Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
You'll be fine, just show up over an hour early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I'm flying back to the US from Milan MXP next month. How early should I get to the airport :v:?

As an admirals club member and AA platinum, can I access the BA lounge at MXP?

E: flying AA out of MXP to MIA

Cacafuego fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 7, 2016

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Cacafuego posted:

I'm flying back to the US from Milan MXP next month. How early should I get to the airport :v:?

As an admirals club member and AA platinum, can I access the BA lounge at MXP?

Me too, but I'm flying into Linate instead of Malpensa. IAD-AMS-LIN, will be first time in KLM business class. Usually I'm passed out before passing Newfoundland on this route.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Make sure you get your house!

I'm always a bit annoyed that all the flights out of my city are Delta, not KLM, so I never get a house :(

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm always a bit annoyed that all the flights out of my city are Delta, not KLM, so I never get a house :(

What's in those things anyway? I have like six of them and never have figured it out.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Bols genever - Dutch gin.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Bols genever - Dutch gin.

Welp.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
KLM also serves stroop waffels

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It probably kept, right?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It probably kept, right?

There's still some sloshing around in them but they're going on nine years old so I'll probably not roll the dice.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Midjack posted:

There's still some sloshing around in them but they're going on nine years old so I'll probably not roll the dice.

The story is kind of interesting - back in the days of regulated air travel, there were restrictions on value of gifts that airlines could give to customers. It was something absurd, $0.75 or whatever. So they're filled with gin because they aren't a gift, they're a complimentary alcoholic beverage!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The story is kind of interesting - back in the days of regulated air travel, there were restrictions on value of gifts that airlines could give to customers. It was something absurd, $0.75 or whatever. So they're filled with gin because they aren't a gift, they're a complimentary alcoholic beverage!

That's pretty neat.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
Cool. How much jenever do they contain?

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
Not a lot, just leave it in because it's cheap booze that's typically used for mixing or, if you're over the age of 80, pure with some sugar. If you want to try genever get some aged.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I was so confused when the old lady started pushing that cart around first class. When she finally got to me, she told me to pick one, and then gave me 2 more for whatever reason. I didn't find out until later that they were full of Gin.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

The wines on QR in business are pretty fantastic, even if I never got the Krug experience.

Also all you folks complaining about customs/security until you've landed in Iraq and get pulled aside for extra screening.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Oh, man. How did I miss this thread? Crosspost:

I have a job that requires me to travel. Like a lot. Like 75-90% of the time. I'm trying to figure out which Airline to make my primary, but comparing their frequent flyer mile programs and cross-checking that across my credit cards and hotel chains and car rental places is making my brain hurt. Here's what I have to work with now:

- I will be flying primarily out of Buffalo. The big carriers here are Delta, United, and American Airlines. Delta is generally the cheapest, and I have to stay within $50 of the cheapest price when choosing tickets.
- I have an apartment in north Jersey that I may have to fly out of occasionally. Newark airport is primarily United, but others fly out of there as well.
- The card I plan on putting most of my expenses on is an American Express Gold Premier charge card. I expect to have between $2k and $5k / month in expenses on it. They have mile transfer deals with Delta and Jet Blue. I am open to getting rid of this card and getting a different one if that makes more sense in terms of points/miles/whatever.
- My company uses Avis for car rentals. I don't think I can use anyone else.
- I prefer Marriott to Hilton because Hilton keeps calling me with their dumb marketers that make me want to scream at them.
- I'm a tall guy so things like free upgrades to preferred seats or first class are a big deal for me. More so than free flights, probably.

How do I go about making sure I have the best synergy between my rewards programs / credit cards / whatever else?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Narrow it down to one airline and then open the matching card so that you can take advantage of your expenses to hit spending requirements. Churn the card (maybe get one with a hotel brand), rinse, repeat.

Pony up the cash to do a challenge to quickly gain status if you want.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Is there a good reason not to pick Delta, since I already have a matching card? Would it be worth it to upgrade to a Platinum AmEx if I fly a lot?

My main problem is looking at the different airlines, their frequent flier programs have so many variables, it's hard to do a direct comparison. Is there anyone that had to decide between those airlines before that can give me some insight into why they picked the one they did?

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

Is there a good reason not to pick Delta, since I already have a matching card? Would it be worth it to upgrade to a Platinum AmEx if I fly a lot?

My main problem is looking at the different airlines, their frequent flier programs have so many variables, it's hard to do a direct comparison. Is there anyone that had to decide between those airlines before that can give me some insight into why they picked the one they did?

I picked Delta for a few reasons:
1) Hubs. Being based out of BNA, I can be to ATL in about 35 minutes, and then to pretty much anywhere else I need to go from there. Even if I have to go to DTW, thats still only 45-50 minutes, and both of those airports are pretty easy to get around, and are fairly reliable for on-time departures. Looking at every other major airlines major hubs? ORD and EWR are loving terrible and I'd rather walk. CLT isn't bad. DFW is a clusterfuck.
2) They've been the best BY FAR when it comes to IRROPS handling. I've flown nothing but Delta for almost 2 years now, and I've never had a flight cancelled. A few delays, and a few rebookings because of a missed connection, but never a straight up cancellation or other major event. On the other hand, the few times I've flown United, I've been cancelled on twice and stranded at EWR once. gently caress them.
3) Their hard product is pretty good, at least on the routes I fly. I'm usually never in anything smaller than a 717, 737, MD-88/90 or A319. Out of BNA, AA and United both fly a lot of CRJ and ERJs.

I started with the Delta platinum card, but upgraded that to the reserve card once I knew what my spending habits would be like. The free 30k MQMs help, and so does the domestic first class companion pass.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

A platinum amex is only worth it for a first year sign up bonus on MR points (doubt there's one running right now) and if there's a centurion lounge at your base airport. If your employer covers the pricy annual fee though, then why not.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Oh man do I wish there was a Centurion lounge at Dulles.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I'm just sad you have to use avis.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If you can use SPG for hotels and you're not I think that is a mistake

Points are portable and I've had great customer service.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

sellouts posted:

SPG is in the process of getting eaten by Marriott, and remember that no merger ever benefits customers.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I know and there's absolutely no evidence that they are taking away every single benefit that spg has and also their properties are nice and the people are great and I hope none of those things are affected by signage changes.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
The merger is going to take like two years anyway. Might as well enjoy it while it lasts and then choose amongst the other mediocre programs.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I'm just sad you have to use avis.

Not empty quoting.

sellouts posted:

I can use whatever hotels I want, as long as they're under the cap ($150/night for most areas, more for major cities).

air- posted:

A platinum amex is only worth it for a first year sign up bonus on MR points (doubt there's one running right now) and if there's a centurion lounge at your base airport. If your employer covers the pricy annual fee though, then why not.

The platinum Amex also gets you into the Delta lounges, which costs quite a bit by itself. I would be responsible for paying the annual fee, though (I think).

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

- I will be flying primarily out of Buffalo. The big carriers here are Delta, United, and American Airlines. Delta is generally the cheapest, and I have to stay within $50 of the cheapest price when choosing tickets.

- I'm a tall guy so things like free upgrades to preferred seats or first class are a big deal for me. More so than free flights, probably.

My experience, from about 4 years ago, was that Delta had a pretty good domestic product and that upgrades and good seats were pretty easy to come by at about 50k miles a year.

Now, they've changed the program since then, but out of PHX I had a pretty good flying experience.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

KillHour posted:

The platinum Amex also gets you into the Delta lounges, which costs quite a bit by itself. I would be responsible for paying the annual fee, though (I think).

Get the Platinum Delta Amex if you are going to be getting status from miles instead of segments. You will get 10K MQMs for spending $25K a year and another 10K for $50K.

It doesn't get you into lounges but the annual fee is only $150 (the Amex Delta Reserve is the $450 lounge access version). You also get a companion pass which is essentially a continental US buy one get one free and using it to fly my folks cross country to see us every year has it paying for itself.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS
I've never understood why people who already travel a lot for work and have a ton of miles racked up get a credit card that gives them more miles. I guess jump-starting your status on an airline makes sense, or using it to get access to a lounge or whatever, but I've heard people say they do it to get more miles from their card, even though they have more miles than they know what to do with. I'd rather have a cash back card than get miles once I have status, but maybe that's just me.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

The point is using reimbursable expenses to hit spending requirements then churning credit cards. Doesn't necessarily have to be for miles, can do hotel points or whatever else.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

ObsidianBeast posted:

I've never understood why people who already travel a lot for work and have a ton of miles racked up get a credit card that gives them more miles. I guess jump-starting your status on an airline makes sense, or using it to get access to a lounge or whatever, but I've heard people say they do it to get more miles from their card, even though they have more miles than they know what to do with. I'd rather have a cash back card than get miles once I have status, but maybe that's just me.

1) Even though I travel a lot for work, I burn through my airline miles quickly. I went to Germany first class last year for Christmas, I'm headed to Japan first class next week (crossing the upper deck of a 747 off my bucket list), and I'm going to Germany later this year first class again for Oktoberfest.
2) I do it for the MQMs to get me status faster, which in turn gets me more upgrades, and more miles
3) As soon as I churn through my Delta card, I switch over to my IHG card and get more hotel points too, because I burn them up, but not as fast as airline miles.

I pay for all my own travel on a personal card, and then get reimbursed by my company, so I get to double (or triple) dip on points, depending on how you look at it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Is there a good way to guestimate if miles or segments are going to be more important? A lot of the places I fly are pretty close (Boston, NY, Chicago), but I sometimes have to go across the country.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KillHour posted:

Is there a good way to guestimate if miles or segments are going to be more important? A lot of the places I fly are pretty close (Boston, NY, Chicago), but I sometimes have to go across the country.

Divide the mileage by the number of segments for your target reward level. If your average flight is higher than that, you'll make it on miles. Less than that, segments. Go on the website and see how many miles you get credited for the flights between your common travel points and estimate how many of those flights you'll make by year's end.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

KillHour posted:

I can use whatever hotels I want, as long as they're under the cap ($150/night for most areas, more for major cities).

What I meant was more that you travel to cities with spg properties. Although 150/night may be tough.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

sellouts posted:

What I meant was more that you travel to cities with spg properties. Although 150/night may be tough.

150/night in SPG is tough, unless you want to stay at four points. The westins, W's, sheratons, le meridiens I book for work are usually all >$200/night. Although I think I did book the Westin Richmond for like $159/ night 3 or 4 times.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The only places I get more than $200/night in the US are like Manhattan and SF. Even downtown Boston is $200.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

What do you guys do about getting sick when you travel. Aside from workout before you sit down?

I always wind up with a sinus infection or some loving variant of a norovirus when I travel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

What do you guys do about getting sick when you travel. Aside from workout before you sit down?

I always wind up with a sinus infection or some loving variant of a norovirus when I travel.

I usually just get allergies when I'm out, but i have a pretty well stocked pharmacy in my carry on. Saline spray, allergy nasal spray, Claritin D, melatonin, advil PM, tylenol, eye drops, carmex, neosporin, a small assortment of bandaids, and cold/flu daytime/nighttime pills. Worst that's happened to me is getting really bad strep throat (twice actually), but a quick trip to an urgent car/little clinic/minute clinic, a shot of antibiotics and some pills have usually gotten me up and around the next day.