Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Quantum of Phallus posted:

If you have message previews turned on You can swipe to the left and reply directly. This works for iMessage. For stuff like FB messenger yu still need to use your Touch ID
Didn't know about this and it's already been pretty useful, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Biodome posted:

It will cover it with a deductible. You'll have to pay that to get your phone replaced for cosmetic stuff.

Wrong! All damage repairs under AppleCare+ require the deductible. AppleCare+ does not cover scratches, so you will have to pay the full repair price.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Endless Mike posted:

Keep in mind the deductible is $79 on 6's or earlier and SE's and $99 on 6s's. Even if they'll do it, I can't imagine a few scratches are worth paying that on unless you're gearing up to sell it.

Applecare+ seems entirely not-worth-it on iPhones anymore. It's $300 to replace a phone outright, how is it a better bet than $198 unless you 100% always break phones?

That being said, I just bought Applecare on my iPad Pro because it's still $99 with $49 deductible on a $1000, heavier, more likely to break if dropped, device. It's nonsense.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It also extends the standard warranty, which can be useful if the battery fails in year two of ownership, or any of many other things. It's still not really worth it, though.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

it beats using a case.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

baram. posted:

it beats using a case.

I don't see how it's equivalent.

I also disagree with just a naked phone being better. Apple leather > caseless. I don't have saddle brown though, so what do I know.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

We need a Saddle Brown iPhone 5SE petition.

Brown 5S isn't the same!

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003
I was more asking out of curiosity. $100 for a new screen isn't horrible though.

If I get any scratches I can feel it see when the screen is on or if I crack the glass I'll get it replaced.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Tab8715 posted:

We need a Saddle Brown iPhone 5SE petition.

Brown 5S isn't the same!

Fun fact: Brown is actually objectively better than Saddle Brown in every possible way.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I just got a saddle brown leather 6s case.

I don't like it because it's too slippery compared to my silicon case.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Holy poo poo Touch ID on the 6s is fast. Like, almost too fast. I love it.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Fun fact: Brown is actually objectively better than Saddle Brown in every possible way.

Funner fact: after six months saddle brown becomes a better version of brown, it turns out. Along with being better from the beginning, unless your a pedophile.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Pretty sure Applecare+ is specifically priced to discourage people using it to replace scratched screens / break a scratched screen to get it replaced. It's still a fairly decent price for a 2-year warranty considering you can mostly walk in and out with a new handset in under an hour in most cities.

Saying its a replacement for a case (if you conclude one is a good idea) is a bit silly though.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Apple care is high on phones because you're way more likely to drop or break a device that is with you 24/7 than an iPad which are mostly used at desks/couches/bed.

AppleCare is just insurance and the premium for a phone is high because of increased risk.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

New update is breaking my UI.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Laserface posted:

Apple care is high on phones because you're way more likely to drop or break a device that is with you 24/7 than an iPad which are mostly used at desks/couches/bed.

AppleCare is just insurance and the premium for a phone is high because of increased risk.
AppleCare is like car insurance except everyone is 21 and driving a Ferrari.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Would it loving kill Apple to put the "load all images" button at the top of emails instead of at the bottom?

Or did they consult android devs for the dumbest possible way to do something simple and didn't want to waste the cash

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
Anyone here ever have issues with messages not getting through to non-iMessage users in a group text? Say if I have a group text going with one person on Android and the other on iPhone. In this case the Android user gets notifications that SMS/MMS messages are waiting to download but they fail.

(Assuming Android issue but wanted to know if common.)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I gave up on group messages involving non-iPhone users in iMessage ages ago. It was always finicky. I just stick to Facebook Messenger now for the dreaded green-text people.

Valen
Oct 1, 2009

androo posted:

Anyone here ever have issues with messages not getting through to non-iMessage users in a group text? Say if I have a group text going with one person on Android and the other on iPhone. In this case the Android user gets notifications that SMS/MMS messages are waiting to download but they fail.

I had that happen to me twice yesterday, but that was the only two times in recent memory. Two separate people in different groups so it wasn't one person's weirdo phone.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
gently caress. Might just have to switch to WhatsApp for some people now that they've got end-to-end encryption. Probably safer with the insane poo poo we text eachother all day anyway.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Whatsapp has been e2e for a while, it's just a more secure implementation of it now. It also allows some degree of authentication.

Also everyone uses it, so it's a much better group platform than iMessage.

e: FWIW don't consider WhatsApp secure and start doing _bad things_, because it has several points of failure. Notably most people enable iCloud backups of their chats (I forget if it's default) which are not encrypted.

Khablam fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 7, 2016

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

androo posted:

What phone and carrier is this person using?

The fact that iMessage groups don't switch to a MMS group automatically when someone disables iMessage is very annoying, especially if you switch phones frequently. Had a lot of issues even after turning it off and deregistering on the apple site when in group texts which were previously all iMessage, unless everyone deletes the conversation and restarts it.

Rexim
Jun 2, 2006

I wants flies in on a dragons, okay?
So I'm confused about this $20 upgrade fee from Verizon. If I have the money, can I just walk into an Apple store, buy a 6S at full price, and put my 5's Sim card in it? Would that work? Would it incur any fee at all? Would this likely work with an iPhone 7?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
MMS groups basically never work anyway.

Really we can all agree the problem is with those green bubble losers.

banana allergy
Jan 19, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Rexim posted:

So I'm confused about this $20 upgrade fee from Verizon. If I have the money, can I just walk into an Apple store, buy a 6S at full price, and put my 5's Sim card in it? Would that work? Would it incur any fee at all? Would this likely work with an iPhone 7?

You can do exactly that and not incur an activation fee. Verizon charges you the fee if you pick their payment plan, and if you get a contract with a subsidized phone the fee is even worse. Remember to call them and ask for the month-to-month discount if your contract is up and you're buying full retail, because they don't discount your bill automatically.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

banana allergy posted:

You can do exactly that and not incur an activation fee. Verizon charges you the fee if you pick their payment plan, and if you get a contract with a subsidized phone the fee is even worse. Remember to call them and ask for the month-to-month discount if your contract is up and you're buying full retail, because they don't discount your bill automatically.

No, now they are charging this fee with even full price phones. It is bullshit, but it is what it is.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/31/11338424/verizon-new-20-upgrade-fee

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

"Bring your own device" shows zero fee, so just buy the SIM-free version from Apple.

Rexim
Jun 2, 2006

I wants flies in on a dragons, okay?
Okay, thanks for the info guys. I was planning on saving up and buying a replacement full price, but from Verizon. Now I guess I'll just go to the Apple Store instead and get a sim-free phone.

banana allergy
Jan 19, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Cozmosis posted:

No, now they are charging this fee with even full price phones. It is bullshit, but it is what it is.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/31/11338424/verizon-new-20-upgrade-fee

Oh Jesus what the gently caress :barf:

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Is there a thread I can poo poo up with an iPhone/iMessage/SMS problem, or can I throw it out here?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Teddybear posted:

Is there a thread I can poo poo up with an iPhone/iMessage/SMS problem, or can I throw it out here?

Nah this is the thread. What's up?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Anyone having any issues with the gmail app failing to reload/timeout? I remember first encountering this in the 9.3 public beta, and it's now doing it again. Force closing it works but eh, "400% increased effort"

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Any idea why Siri suggestions (swipe right from the home screen) wouldn't be showing Maps suggestions? (6s+ , 9.3.whatever the latest is)
I was in my gfs house last night and she gets Maps suggestions on her Siri suggestions screen on her 5s so it shouldn't be a location thing.

Any ideas?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
By "Maps suggestions" do you mean the Nearby line? If so, try checking Settings - General - Spotlight Search and scrolling down and see if the Maps toggle is on.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I really wish those map suggestions could be customized. Like it's always suggesting coffee to me, and I've never once drank coffee in my life. Stop offering it to me, Siri.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Siri is just trying to fix your boring life. Let it help!

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

if you consider the siri suggestion off switch a feature, it's a pretty dang good feature

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
My SE isn't staying connected to my car's bluetooth between rides. My old 5c worked fine so I'm not sure what the issue is. I've removed the 5c from my car's list of devices, forgotten the car on my SE and started over. Anything on the phone end that might be forcing a re-connect each time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

Minidust posted:

My SE isn't staying connected to my car's bluetooth between rides. My old 5c worked fine so I'm not sure what the issue is. I've removed the 5c from my car's list of devices, forgotten the car on my SE and started over. Anything on the phone end that might be forcing a re-connect each time?

Dunno for sure but there are apparently some widespread complaints with Bluetooth on the SE: http://www.macrumors.com/2016/04/11/iphone-se-bluetooth-phone-call-audio-issues/