Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Overall, this does look like a good Fate Conversion for Eclipse Phase. I do feel they handled the morph rules rather well and managed to fix some balance issues with the morphs (Refresh ends up being a good reason why you might stick to a weaker morph over a better one).

Some of their sample stunts, though, do reveal how they are not used to work with rules medium games. Just take a look at the sample stunt for Civ Rep which is a preview on the dtrpg page: it is a quarter of the page on its own for something not so complicated. Doesn't really matter as those are just examples, but it does say quite a bit.

My main complaint is they didn't reprint the rules for Fate Core or the overview of the EP setting. Now, both Fate Core and EP's Core are free, but there is something unnerving of needing three books from different game lines to play one game.

Also, they really, really push the "working for Firewall" angle in EP, don't they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Part of the reason they push that is that they didn't want to fall into the trap of "But what do we -do- in this game" that a lot of similar games fall into. And yet, that didn't stop anyone.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

unseenlibrarian posted:

Part of the reason they push that is that they didn't want to fall into the trap of "But what do we -do- in this game" that a lot of similar games fall into. And yet, that didn't stop anyone.

I can understand that. If nothing else, Firewall seems like the easiest way to justify the PCs encountering weird poo poo. Or poo poo at all. Their job is to go around and throw themselves into dangerous situations like hunting criminals and stopping threats to transhumanity.

Hell, you could start session one going "you are stationed out in the far rim, past the edge of Pluto, on a boring, survey post. Things are usually so boring that more than once you've wondered why they don't just have bots handling this post. That is, until, you get a strange bit of radio interference, Jerry." And just let things snowball. Or go "you find yourself in one of Mar's biggest cities. A bustling metropolis of flashing lights and lowered inhibitions, you aren't here on vacation: Soterius John, a notorious crime lord, has setup shop in town and is believed to be the cause of many disappearances in the area by Firewall officials. While normally a job best left to the police, Firewall has reason to believe -- on a need to know basis -- that something much more dangerous is going on behind the scenes. The only hint you have is that Mr. John has had a lot of dealings with Ultimates Extremists over the last few months."

Okay, now I'm just rambling about campaign ideas I have, but the point is it is a great starting off point so I can see why that was their focus.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It makes a ton of sense to laser-focus a Fate conversion on Firewall fighting x-threats, because it's a good way to make the game definitely be "EP but in Fate" while helping GMs come up with campaign aspects and players come up with character concepts, instead of just presenting 1200 pages of setting information and letting you figure out what you want to try to do with it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I'm guessing the main reason they didn't reprint the content of either book is because it's not intended to be a standalone book, in the initial Kickstarter it was billed as a Fate conversion guide.

That doesn't entirely explain not including at least the setting overview, but it does explain the lack of Fate Core rules.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Has anyone here given Crimeworld a try? My group has been unimpressed with Blades in the Dark and we're looking for something to fill the same niche.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Going to play 40K as FATE, with us being colonists, good times :commissar:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Has all the Fate SRD additions promised from the KS been added to the Fate-srd.com website?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Not all of it, no. Venture City is the only one that's up right now.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

Not all of it, no. Venture City is the only one that's up right now.

It looks like the skills modes and aspect only fate is up, no? Like Skill Modes seem updated, I mean.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Covok posted:

It looks like the skills modes and aspect only fate is up, no? Like Skill Modes seem updated, I mean.

Modes were in the original Fate Core book, but I wouldn't be surprised if they got a second pass after Atomic Robo.

edit: Maybe they were in the Toolkit? I bought them both at the same time, so I'm not honestly sure :shobon:

deadly_pudding fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 28, 2016

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

They were originally in the Toolkit, yes. I don't know how different they are between the books, though.

Covok
May 27, 2013

What is the best place to learn the philosphy for hacking FATE outside the official books?

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Covok posted:

Also, they really, really push the "working for Firewall" angle in EP, don't they?
They posted up some developers notes a few days ago that touch on this; http://eclipsephase.com/transhumanitys-fate-developer-notes

Covok
May 27, 2013

Grim posted:

They posted up some developers notes a few days ago that touch on this; http://eclipsephase.com/transhumanitys-fate-developer-notes

I really like this post. It just shows they really did listen to use when we said "we like the setting, but the crunch isn't for us" and I'm glad they kept the customer's demands in mind during the development process. It just shows a level of care you rarely see in this industry or any industry.

Covok
May 27, 2013

What is the best guide/hack/presets for doing Star Wars in FATE?

Covok
May 27, 2013

How is Bulldogs, Fate Core Edition?

Covok
May 27, 2013

What is the best way to do FATE Core as a PBP game?

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Covok posted:

What is the best way to do FATE Core as a PBP game?

Short of actually house-ruling things to work differently the best thing is probably to try and make sure everyone is on the same page regarding Fate Point use and have a general agreement to be up-front with it. Try and limit re-rolling to the reacting individual rather than the acting one (except as a pre-declared condition).

So, for instance, if I (as a player) declare that Big Guy Jim is going to try and punch the NPC I'll say outright in the post where I declare what's happening "Jim will be invoking his Bigness and Angry Dude Aspects for a +4 to the roll. If the roll comes out below +1 then I'll also invoke my Hurting Fist for a reroll. If I get a Boost I want it to be "Black Eye".

The GM then can roll his NPCs defense, deciding what aspects to invoke on the NPC's defensive roll and can resolve things without any back-and-forth.

In general, an agreement that (barring the most extreme situations) everything must be handled within one post rather than the normal negotiation that FATE normally encourages.

Otto Quasar
May 11, 2015
You'll want to be careful about refresh. The Fate Point economy is built around it, but a PBP game isn't divided into sessions the same way a real-time game is. It might take some tweaking to get things at the right level, so make sure to solicit player feedback in that regard.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So this is pretty neat; Evil Hat now has a web app for the "It's Not My Fault" cards. You can generate a bunch of PCs, then manage the character with an interactive sheet.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
Fate Thread, I have a question about how to best represent a character I'm making. It's for a pulpy, treasure hunting adventure game along the lines of a Skies of Arcadia, where the world is mostly in the sky and it's all about airships. The character is an old pirate commander who's a clever strategist type, winning fights through wits and tactics rather than actually fighting anyone. I was thinking a high Lore and Will to show he knows a lot and can think quickly, and maybe some stunts to represent his ability to mentally outmaneuver his opponents. I'm not terribly experienced with Fate Core, so I was wondering how you'd recommend representing this kind of character in the game?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Old Salt: When facing opponents in traditional pirate combat, I can use Lore as Fight.

Or
Pirate Lifer: I can use Lore to Attack and Create Advantage in any type of battle I've fought before.

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

I'm going to be running a Fate Core game using what is essentially the Hunter: The Vigil setup, so the players will be regular people who get involved in supernatural monster stuff and decide to fight back. One of the ideas I had was to make my players create a second 'skill pyramid' but instead of skills they would put in contacts they have, and their rating would basically be their willingness to help with giving the players info or resources they can use to hunt the monsters. I would also create a separate stress track which would track the danger they're putting their contacts in by associating with them, where the consequences might involve the contacts getting spooked and refusing to help or even becoming victims of the creatures the players are hunting. When a player rolls to hit up one of their contacts for extra help the same roll would be used as shifts for the danger stress track.

Does that sound like something that would work? It would mean having a lot of npcs the players can rely on at first, but the idea is that as they use them and set them up as targets for the monsters they'll grow more and more isolated.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It sounds like it would work at first glance, but you'd want to keep the pyramid small; otherwise people are going to have six or more contacts each. It might be easier to just give everyone X ranks of contacts to distribute how they want.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

LordZoric posted:

Fate Thread, I have a question about how to best represent a character I'm making. It's for a pulpy, treasure hunting adventure game along the lines of a Skies of Arcadia, where the world is mostly in the sky and it's all about airships. The character is an old pirate commander who's a clever strategist type, winning fights through wits and tactics rather than actually fighting anyone. I was thinking a high Lore and Will to show he knows a lot and can think quickly, and maybe some stunts to represent his ability to mentally outmaneuver his opponents. I'm not terribly experienced with Fate Core, so I was wondering how you'd recommend representing this kind of character in the game?

I've been command ships since before you were born: Due to your long combat experience, it is easy to see through your opponents tactics. Aspects you create in battle with lore have two free invokes.

Matey, I invented that maneuver: You can use Will to defend in combat.

How appropriate, you fight like a cow!: When you inflict stress in combat, you can chose to inflict, mental stress instead.

e X fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Apr 7, 2016

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

oriongates posted:

Short of actually house-ruling things to work differently the best thing is probably to try and make sure everyone is on the same page regarding Fate Point use and have a general agreement to be up-front with it. Try and limit re-rolling to the reacting individual rather than the acting one (except as a pre-declared condition).

So, for instance, if I (as a player) declare that Big Guy Jim is going to try and punch the NPC I'll say outright in the post where I declare what's happening "Jim will be invoking his Bigness and Angry Dude Aspects for a +4 to the roll. If the roll comes out below +1 then I'll also invoke my Hurting Fist for a reroll. If I get a Boost I want it to be "Black Eye".

The GM then can roll his NPCs defense, deciding what aspects to invoke on the NPC's defensive roll and can resolve things without any back-and-forth.

In general, an agreement that (barring the most extreme situations) everything must be handled within one post rather than the normal negotiation that FATE normally encourages.

Alternatively: get people on IRC to coordinate this kind of poo poo. A straight PBP of FATE is a total waste of the system, use a rapid communication system to work out posts.

Otto Quasar posted:

You'll want to be careful about refresh. The Fate Point economy is built around it, but a PBP game isn't divided into sessions the same way a real-time game is. It might take some tweaking to get things at the right level, so make sure to solicit player feedback in that regard.

Several FATE games already list 'one scene = one minor milestone, three scenes = one significant milestone, three significants = one major milestone', so it's a pretty decent rule to jack. Tweak to taste and to whatever fits and you're done.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Are there any Fate games out there which don't use Stress? I'm just curious as to what, if any, sort of alternate methods have been used that still work well with the base Fate system. The system toolkit has some interesting stuff, but a lot of it is just "Stress but slightly different".

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

If anyone's going to be at PAX East, there's going to be a ton of Fate going on at Games on Demand. I'm running Atomic Robo, and a bunch of other people are going to be running FAE and It's Not My Fault.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
It's Not My Fault looks seriously fun. Unfortunately buying the actual cards would mean paying $20 for postage because DriveThru doesn't have a printer for cards anywhere in Europe, so I guess I'm going to have to buy the PDF and print my own cards.

Just playing with the online character generator I'm seeing a lot of potential for this: instead of players picking two cards and then drawing one at random, have character creation done in the style of a draft, so each player starts with four cards, they pick one, then pass the rest of their hand to the player on their left, rinse and repeat until everyone has three cards.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I ended up running two sessions of INMF on Sunday, and they were both a lot of fun. One involved the group being abandoned in a wretched hive of scum and villainy (large) trying to pawn off a mistranslated treasure map (and involved the Barbarian Wizard beating someone to death with a fireball, which he then stuck on the end of his sword in triumph), and the other one involved the accidental summoning of a snakeomancer at an oasis in the desert. INMF is a great introduction to the system because it does 90% of the character creation heavy lifting, since the card names are the aspects and the stunts are pre-made.

We ended up getting a lot of last-minute people interested in Fate because Wil Wheaton announced that Fate Core will be part of Tabletop's 4th season, with Fred Hicks as on-hand rules consultant.

Ratpick posted:

Just playing with the online character generator I'm seeing a lot of potential for this: instead of players picking two cards and then drawing one at random, have character creation done in the style of a draft, so each player starts with four cards, they pick one, then pass the rest of their hand to the player on their left, rinse and repeat until everyone has three cards.
On of the other GoD GMs noticed that you can also use spare character aspect cards for quick NPCs; just grab the card and the three approaches listed are the +3/+2/+1. Boom, done.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
So some of you have noticed, but I finally released Breakfast Cult this weekend! :toot:

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Evil Mastermind posted:

On of the other GoD GMs noticed that you can also use spare character aspect cards for quick NPCs; just grab the card and the three approaches listed are the +3/+2/+1. Boom, done.

This is similar to what I was thinking of: with five players (and four cards each at the beginning of the "draft") you'd end up with five unused cards. Grab those and you'd have an instant named villain for the game!

It also scales nicely: for a group of three you end up with a named villain with three cards (so, on par with the PCs), for a group of four you'd have a four-card named villain (a bit stronger than the PCs), and for a group of five you'd have a five-card named villain (considerably stronger than the PCs, but the PCs will probably still defeat them by virtue of strength in numbers).

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
House of Bards is the best game in terms of how much I hate the pun and source material vs how thoughtful and exciting the setting is. Buy it for a few bucks if you haven't yet.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Looks like the Fate More kickstarter goodies are shipping out (with the exception of Worlds Take Flight, which had a printing defect). I got my copy of Worlds Rise Up today. I love me a good setting book...even if I never end up using said setting in my own games.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Did you get a notification first, or should I just start checking my mail on the regular? (Admittedly, my physical books were Majestic 12 and Bubblegumshoe, so may be coming in a later wave or something.)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

unseenlibrarian posted:

Did you get a notification first, or should I just start checking my mail on the regular? (Admittedly, my physical books were Majestic 12 and Bubblegumshoe, so may be coming in a later wave or something.)

I got no notification; just a random parcel in the mail box today

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Evil Hat let the higher-tier Patreon backers see what the next few Worlds of Adventure will be:
  • Bill White's far-future space-ark setting Andromeda.
  • Don Bisdorf's Indiana-Jones-in-space setting Ghost Planets.
  • Jess Nevins' what-if-the-pulps-of-Soviet-Russia-were-true setting Red Planet.
They also sent out previews, but I haven't had a chance to really get into them. Plus they're in Markup, so they're kinda annoying to read.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Meanwhile, the new one that released officially today, Nitrate City, is a period noir story about movie monster cops and gangsters with a Frankenstein's monster looking dude on the cover, and since I'm a sucker for a good "No, he's a literal Made Man" joke, it's so far up my alley that it's set up shop and is lurking in the fire door entrance to the suspicious restaurant behind the dumpster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Evil Mastermind posted:

Jess Nevins' what-if-the-pulps-of-Soviet-Russia-were-true setting Red Planet.

Fuuuuck, this will own. I can't wait to pilot dogge-brain cyborgs around outer space!