Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Lork posted:

I don't know, the "puzzles" in Hexen 2 seemed even more inscrutable than the ones in the original. Like isn't the very first thing you're suppose to do when you start to turn around and press a hidden switch disguised as a brick to open up a mandatory secret area? I don't think I ever made it to the second episode, but if that first one was setting the tone for the rest of the game correctly, the original game is a masterpiece in comparison.

Yes, but if you see a notably huge brick sticking out of a wall and don't immediately want to press it then I'm not sure what to say. I will agree that some of the areas you're expected to find are a little obtuse though. For example there's a shrine hidden behind a bed in a house in the castle area that takes a keen eye to notice, but it's not exactly devoid of clues as the wall is recessed a little and the textures are slightly different. There's also a key you need to dig up and its location is revealed in a book just laying in the corner of a barn. In any case it's nice to see more variation than "pull switch and find out what it did in that other map!"

There also aren't any centaurs! Not a single one! Sorry it wins the contest because of that alone.

The first episode (a medieval European castle) took me a while to finish because of the objectives you have to do are a bit unclear. I admit I had to resort to a guide for a few parts of it. The second episode (a Mesoamerican temple) was a little more streamlined and I finished it in far less than half the time.

The third chapter is pretty cool because it takes place in an ancient Egyptian temple of some kind with pretty neat architecture and remixed Heretic tracks for the background music, though it just makes me want to play noted better games Powerslave and Chasm.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Apr 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I should really try Hexen 2 at some point, I've had it on Steam for years but never got more than about 10 minutes into it. I go back and forth on the first game but the second always looked interesting.

Isn't there a bit where you can catapult a sheep over a wall or something? That looked pretty cool

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Convex posted:

I should really try Hexen 2 at some point, I've had it on Steam for years but never got more than about 10 minutes into it. I go back and forth on the first game but the second always looked interesting.

Isn't there a bit where you can catapult a sheep over a wall or something? That looked pretty cool

Yup! Then you use the catapult to get over the wall yourself!

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?

Shadow Hog posted:

Honestly, I'm going through Quake 2 now, and, well, it's actually kinda awesome? I mean, I admittedly find the purple skies of the first Quake more appealing than the orange skies of Quake 2, and I find I'm hoarding Quad Damages instead of using them at appropriate moments, but hell, I'm having quite a bit of fun with this.

It is a great game, kinda hindsight-like though. Way back then, when id was still releasing games and some other developers were trying to do different things, it felt a little stale. Even the guns to be honest. I remember being excited about the SMG in HL because it was a real gun. If you pay attention the maps aren't confusing, and make sure to use the BFG as much as you can in appropriate situations, there's absolutely no need to hoard the ammo. Heh, BFG, SMG. The history of the FPS genre in two acronyms.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I think Quake 2's single player is fantastic and is one of my top single player FPS games in the whole early FPS era. I feel like the backtracking was overstated; there aren't that many places where you spend significant amounts of time going through cleared areas. You definitely go back into levels you've already been to, and even ones that you've cleared a significant amount of, but the times you have to pass through areas you've straight-up cleared are usually short jogs at most. I thought that the multi-level "unit" concept as a whole was pretty novel at the time without being grating in the present day, was generally implemented well, and adds to the game.

Of course opinions, etc.. For some reason I have the strongest nostalgia for Quake 2 even though I grew up with Wolfenstein 3D and Doom; probably because it was the first game I bought with my own money and the first one I spent huge amounts of time online with?

Edit: Summer of 1999 is probably why I became such a shut in; my family moved into a new neighbourhood that had cable internet and I spent the whole summer playing Quake 2 mods online instead of making friends

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Apr 10, 2016

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah there really isn't that much backtracking, and the levels aren't huge for it to become annoying. In fact I think they could've made certain areas bigger because when it does open up the game feels better.

Also people are quick to call it ugly and too brown yellow, but there is a beauty to it. Reminds me in the least pretentious way possible of Chernikov's architectural drawings

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Quake 2 single player was passable but the multiplayer is what makes it. It was massive in its day, before CS got big. Quake 3 Arena was made the way it is because Q2 multiplayer was so popular. Unreal went the tournament route because of it too. It made arena shooters big.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Whatever happened to the bombshell tie-in with the build engine? Is that still a thing?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Quake 2 single player was passable but the multiplayer is what makes it. It was massive in its day, before CS got big. Quake 3 Arena was made the way it is because Q2 multiplayer was so popular. Unreal went the tournament route because of it too. It made arena shooters big.
And unfortunately, the single-player FPS market never quite recovered from that decision.

(...well, okay, that's being overly melodramatic, but it sometimes feels that way...)

Narcissus1916 posted:

Whatever happened to the bombshell tie-in with the build engine? Is that still a thing?
Still a thing, AFAIK. They put out screenshots every once in a blue moon, too.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Man, it's almost possible to forget what a trainwreck Invisible War's version of UE2 is while playing Deadly Shadows + Sneaky Upgrade.

Right up to the point where you load a save and the game process kills itself then spawns another executable, that is. :v:

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Supposedly it's going to be released somewhere in Q4 2016.

Not sure if those screenies were posted?

loga mira posted:

Also people are quick to call it ugly and too brown yellow, but there is a beauty to it. Reminds me in the least pretentious way possible of Chernikov's architectural drawings

I always liked the way Q2 architecture is very brutalist and industrial, with steel mills and other machinery.

Hate to ask here in the thread, but you don't have PMs, are you maybe still working on that great Q1 hudweapons mod?

laserghost fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 10, 2016

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

laserghost posted:

Supposedly it's going to be released somewhere in Q4 2016.

Not sure if those screenies were posted?

This looks sick as hell.

laserghost posted:

I always liked the way Q2 architecture is very brutalist and industrial, with steel mills and other machinery.

Which kinda fits because the world of Stroggos is built by machines.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
The build Bombshell is probably going to end up better than the actual main game.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Shadow Hog posted:

And unfortunately, the single-player FPS market never quite recovered from that decision.

(...well, okay, that's being overly melodramatic, but it sometimes feels that way...)

What makes you feel that way? There's tons of games that are clearly focused mostly on single player (Wolfenstein TNO, Bioshock Infinite, the Far Cry games, Deus Ex, Metro).

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Quake 2's 'backtracking' is almost exclusively looping you back around to the entrance, rather than you legitimately having to walk back the way you came. It rarely puts you in a situation where you absolutely HAVE to go back the way you came. most of the time it'll even take you multiple levels to get back to the area it wants you to use (insert key item or button here). I think the only real instance of true backtracking is the first secret level, and even it tries to keep things a bit interesting.

Personally I loved the game's singleplayer campaign, but that may just be me. Quake 2 MP was good, but UT Multiplayer was my jam. Quake 3 felt really boring and plinky compared to Quake 2 and UT.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The build Bombshell is probably going to end up better than the actual main game.

That's not exactly a high bar to jump.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

laserghost posted:

Hate to ask here in the thread, but you don't have PMs, are you maybe still working on that great Q1 hudweapons mod?

gently caress I forgot about that. Still need to package it all up and upload to moddb, write a read me etc. I have posted a sort of test version earlier in the thread, in case you missed that, it should still be up. Since then I've also made a thunderbolt version that is a sort of valve-esque gun with a pretty elaborate firing anim, need to clean it up a bit

I've moved on to monsters now, giving them faces and facial anims, it's cool in game seeing them scowl and frown, and some subtle mesh updates and fixes. The process I found isn't as time consuming as remaking everything from scratch but it's still pretty convoluted and slow.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

khwarezm posted:

What makes you feel that way? There's tons of games that are clearly focused mostly on single player (Wolfenstein TNO, Bioshock Infinite, the Far Cry games, Deus Ex, Metro).
I mean, yes, single-player FPS titles have come out since (heck, for some reason I had Halo's SP campaign on the brain when making that post), but I dunno, I feel most of those don't really scratch the same itch Quake does - though I'll concede Human Revolution was drat good (although I didn't finish it, unlike the first Deus Ex...). Also kinda wanna try Wolf TNO; I do own it...

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I know what you mean, felt like lots of single-player centric FPS games with some diversity were coming out all the time back then. Then felt like it slowed down a bit in quality releases after a while. Though there are still usually a couple gems a year or so.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Colon Semicolon posted:

Personally I loved the game's singleplayer campaign, but that may just be me. Quake 2 MP was good, but UT Multiplayer was my jam. Quake 3 felt really boring and plinky compared to Quake 2 and UT.

Q3 MP marked a transition to a dark and grim time where devs and players started to argue more about what was balanced than what was fun

We're still in it, fyi

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

loga mira posted:

gently caress I forgot about that. Still need to package it all up and upload to moddb, write a read me etc. I have posted a sort of test version earlier in the thread, in case you missed that, it should still be up. Since then I've also made a thunderbolt version that is a sort of valve-esque gun with a pretty elaborate firing anim, need to clean it up a bit

I've moved on to monsters now, giving them faces and facial anims, it's cool in game seeing them scowl and frown, and some subtle mesh updates and fixes. The process I found isn't as time consuming as remaking everything from scratch but it's still pretty convoluted and slow.

I'm using that test version on all of my devices with Quake installed, it's miles better and more suiting than that Quake 1.5 thing. Some of my steam buddies also liked it very much. Hope to see more of your work! I remember seeing some "fixes" for monsters, but nothing as interesting like that.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

What ever happened to secret levels in games. I get that now development is so expensive that having players potentially miss content is bad, but secret exits to secret levels rule.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

dishwasherlove posted:

What ever happened to secret levels in games. I get that now development is so expensive that having players potentially miss content is bad, but secret exits to secret levels rule.

I'd like more secrets in general, just opening some thingy or something for a cool little extra. Secret levels though I can understand not having. But they are cool.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
The ending to shadows of the metal age may be the dumbest ending every to exist in a mod.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Klaus88 posted:

The ending to shadows of the metal age may be the dumbest ending every to exist in a mod.

It's not a mod, but Neverwinter Nights 2 literally ends with "rocks fall everyone dies" after you kill the end boss. (Then the expansion pack turns that into one of the best RPGs ever, but ymmv.)

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Klaus88 posted:

What's so bad about it? I looked it up real quick on YouTube, and it looks like you stop a demon or something, and then you sail off on a boat.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I thought Shadows of the Metal Age was just kind of generally dumb. Here's this world that very clearly takes place in a 100% fictional universe....so anyway the protagonist is from Egypt. :confused:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

OK I finished Hexen 2. The puzzles in the Egypt chapter were some goddamn bullshit and can gently caress off. The fourth chapter (some Greco-Roman temples) was okay I guess. The last chapter (back at the medieval castle) was actually kinda fun and the final boss was a hell of ride!

Thus ends my journey to kill the Serpent Riders and save the world or whatever. Maybe I should play Heretic 2 next!

Actually no I'm not because that game looks loving awful.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Just catching up on the magazine scans, I love this quote from the Kingpin review:

Drew Markham, Lead Programmer posted:

The language is so realistic and over the top that it would be really hard for me to give you a taste of it without having it heavily censored.

First, how can something be simultaneously realistic and over the top? And two, the real reason you won't say anything is because then it would be obvious you stole half the dialogue from Pulp Fiction :lol: The titular kingpin is pretty obviously Marcellus Wallace.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
All I know about Kingpin: Life of Crime is that apparently the ingame soundtrack is just a loop of the baseline to "16 Men Till There's No Men Left" by Cypress Hill.

Yo ho ho and a bag of indo.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mak0rz posted:

Maybe I should play Heretic 2 next!

Actually no I'm not because that game looks loving awful.

It's not awful; but it's more fantasy Tomb Raider than an FPS.

Personally I had a lot of fun with it, especially because pole-vaulting and kicking people in the face with both feet at once is not just a valid combat technique, it's generally what deals the most damage.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

C.M. Kruger posted:

All I know about Kingpin: Life of Crime is that apparently the ingame soundtrack is just a loop of the baseline to "16 Men Till There's No Men Left" by Cypress Hill.

Yo ho ho and a bag of indo.

Yeah, Cypress Hill gave them like 4 instrumental tracks from some of their songs and they just loop those the entire game.

Also they swear a lot.

Like... a lot:

This is out of a total 17 episodes :coal:

Depressing Drawers did a pretty good Let's Play of the game about 4 years ago, if you want to hear a motor mouthed Aussie (I think?) run through the game pointing out absurdities then I recommend giving it a watch. The game is actually pretty great starting off, but about half way in the quality just falls off a cliff and it stops being fun to both play and watch :(
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3513785

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Heavy Metal posted:

I'd like more secrets in general, just opening some thingy or something for a cool little extra. Secret levels though I can understand not having. But they are cool.

Why give people free extra content, when you can make them pay for DLC instead?

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Based on this thread's recommendation, I've started playing Jedi Outcast. It's pretty fun so far, in a very old-school way. I like how as long as you keep moving normal storm troopers have about a zero percent chance to hit you, but since your own weapons tend not to be hitscan you're forced to continually dodge and wait for them to come to a stop (especially since they're pretty quick on their feet). I'm just getting to the second mission after you get your force powers (the garbage dump filled with dozens of those annoying fuckers lobbing grenades and snipers - thanks for introducing them as soon as I get the ability to block shots, you dicks!).

I will say, the levels are pretty but it runs squarely into the same problem I had with the original Dark Forces when I was a kid and Dark Forces II during the ten minutes I played it - that is to say, I find myself too often asking "where the gently caress do I go?" The levels are large and jam-packed with technological gizmos that look cool but all too often you're backtracking and looking for one random switch hidden on a console covered in neon lights. The worst offender so far was the mining level where (after consulting a walkthrough) I realized I had to walk outside onto a catwalk, stare down under my feet and look for a pipe that protrudes out from under the catwalk roughly once every ten seconds to drop into. Who decided that "let's hope the player walks out here with zero indication and stares straight down for a while to notice this pipe" was intuitive level design?

There were a few other parts where I sort of walked around wondering what to do but that was the most egregious. Probably my favorite level so far (the surface level where you're running from giant walker mechs and manning laser turrets to protect escaped prisoners) was my favorite since it was relatively short, straightforward and didn't wear out its welcome. Even if it did have an entire segment consisting of waiting on elevators to backtrack while 3-4 storm troopers occasionally spawned, but at least that told me I was going the right way.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I remember reading about Walmart only selling special censored versions of FPS games with the parental lock permanently switched on - for example, a version of Blood was sold with all the blood cut out.

I wish they had kept this practice on for longer as the Walmart sanitised version of Kingpin could have been quite something. Perhaps swear words could be overdubbed with duck quacks, lead pipes changed to foam fingers, and the Cypress Hill soundtrack changed to Michael Bolton.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Convex posted:

I remember reading about Walmart only selling special censored versions of FPS games with the parental lock permanently switched on - for example, a version of Blood was sold with all the blood cut out.

They really should have gone all the way and called it "Unspecified Bodily Fluid" instead.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

They really should have gone all the way and called it "Unspecified Bodily Fluid" instead.
Why not? They demanded the terrible commercial Duke3D TC NAM get renamed to Napalm, might as well.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Goon 1: The only reason you're alive is because Mickey wants you to remember the beatin' we gave ya. Now keep ya fuckin' rear end outta Poinsonville you gently caress.

Goon 2: Yeah!

Kingpin: Life of Crime writers: That's a wrap, boys.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I remember reading in the magazine that the publisher (Eidos?) sent to some unspecified people (game journos maybe?) bloodied envelopes with photo of a dead body (in reality, a cropped screenshot from the game), with "you're next written" and cd with demo version of Kingpin.

Kingpin had some potential in expanding Q2 engine, with light squad management, hub system and overall atmosphere, but goddamn those trapezoid heads of dudes were always cracking me up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

laserghost posted:

Kingpin had some potential in expanding Q2 engine, with light squad management, hub system and overall atmosphere, but goddamn those trapezoid heads of dudes were always cracking me up

It looked like everyone was a few seconds from exploding, like that guy in the pressure chamber in Licence to Kill

I should play that game again sometime. So many games, such little time :sigh: