Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Jay Rust posted:

There was a PS2 Medal of Honor game, set in the Pacific theatre of World War 2, in which putting in the disk and playing for the first time threw you right into the single player campaign, skipping all menus. The first mission took place at Pearl Harbor on December 7th, 1941, and so it was meant to simulate how surprising the attack was for the American soldiers stationed there. And I thought that was pretty cool.

My grandfather survived Pearl Harbor and after playing that level I proudly let him know that I had now survived Pearl Harbor too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

You should probably not go to bat for games you didn't play that are reportedly incredibly buggy.
:agreed:

Night Cry looks awful. That said I totally want to play it because it looks awful.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm at the end of Salt & Santuary and it seems it's revealed itself as not a true Souls game by making the boss of the game actually hard.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

:jerkbag:

I like Jontron's videos, but the last thing all the morons who want a vanilla server needed was a popular internet personality endorsing their stupid petition.

Also Mists of Pandaria was awesome, I don't care what some stupid graph said about server population.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

axleblaze posted:

I'm at the end of Salt & Sanctuary and it seems it's revealed itself as not a true Souls game by making the boss of the game actually hard.

Sounds like you aren't using greathammers. I don't even remember the last few bosses because I would cream them in a few hits, and I followed the light/water goddess (Devora?) so I had the item that gave my hammer a holy buff which just chewed up bosses. I saw a lot of people say that the Witch of the Bog was a huge hurdle, but I think I killed her after she got one attack in. I hear magic gets very powerful, too, so there are a few builds that kind of cheese the bosses.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Adam Bowen posted:

My grandfather survived Pearl Harbor and after playing that level I proudly let him know that I had now survived Pearl Harbor too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9YBDHobzBo

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Macaluso posted:

:jerkbag:

I like Jontron's videos, but the last thing all the morons who want a vanilla server needed was a popular internet personality endorsing their stupid petition.

Also Mists of Pandaria was awesome, I don't care what some stupid graph said about server population.

Yeah mists was great, wod was less so

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

tfw you're bored at work and left your usb with diablo 2 back at home :negative:

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ445dYNmi4&t=30s

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

I have a question about GameFly. I recently took advantage of their $1 for a month deal. How long does it take them to actually send me a drat game? I signed up 3 days ago and added 5 games to my Q. In that time I've watched all the games go from availability Now, to medium, to low, and back again. My Q still says nothing about a game actually coming to me. Is GameFly just this much garbage or what?

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Mr E posted:

Yeah mists was great, wod was less so

Mists was good for casual and raiding

However it and WoD have only had one content patch in 3 yrs

Remember when cata had on every 6 mths or so?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Macaluso posted:

Even China didn't give a poo poo about Mists.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

theultimo posted:

No because I only played like a month of cata cause I didn't like it

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I liked all WoW expansions

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Tiny Lowtax posted:

I have a question about GameFly. I recently took advantage of their $1 for a month deal. How long does it take them to actually send me a drat game? I signed up 3 days ago and added 5 games to my Q. In that time I've watched all the games go from availability Now, to medium, to low, and back again. My Q still says nothing about a game actually coming to me. Is GameFly just this much garbage or what?

It shouldn't take them that long to send something out, but it might have something to do with the weekend. Having a big queue also helps, but they should probably be sending you one of your games soon. I found GameFly good for trying out games that I had passed over or didn't get great reviews, if you're just trying to grab AAA titles you may have a lot of other people vying for the same games.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

LawfulWaffle posted:

It shouldn't take them that long to send something out, but it might have something to do with the weekend. Having a big queue also helps, but they should probably be sending you one of your games soon. I found GameFly good for trying out games that I had passed over or didn't get great reviews, if you're just trying to grab AAA titles you may have a lot of other people vying for the same games.

Yeah I don't expect to get the latest and greatest games, figured they'd have high demand, but I guess I just assumed when the game at the top of my Q went from medium to now, that it would ship within 3 days. So by the time they ship and I receive it, a week of my month will already be gone. Who pays $22 a month for this garbage?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

theultimo posted:

mists had frequent content patches up until a big long gap near the end, just like cata. WoD is the one that really dropped the ball

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Doctor Spaceman posted:

mists had frequent content patches up until a big long gap near the end, just like cata. WoD is the one that really dropped the ball

True, siege was a HUGE drought though

But gently caress. HFC is the only raid added in WoD blizzard? gently caress YOU

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
pandaria was good and I'm pretty sure the game saw a drop in subscribers because the game is a billion years old

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Yeah I don't expect to get the latest and greatest games, figured they'd have high demand, but I guess I just assumed when the game at the top of my Q went from medium to now, that it would ship within 3 days. So by the time they ship and I receive it, a week of my month will already be gone. Who pays $22 a month for this garbage?

$22 a month?! I don't remember paying that much when I had the "two games at a time" level. I thought it was more like $12? I hope they send you some games soon, gamer friend.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Ahundredbux posted:

pandaria was good and I'm pretty sure the game saw a drop in subscribers because the game is a billion years old

That's why I so easily discount a subscriber count graph like that

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

theultimo posted:

True, siege was a HUGE drought though
so was Dragon Soul (and Icecrown at the end of Wrath), except DS was poo poo whereas ICC and Siege were good.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

LawfulWaffle posted:

Sounds like you aren't using greathammers. I don't even remember the last few bosses because I would cream them in a few hits, and I followed the light/water goddess (Devora?) so I had the item that gave my hammer a holy buff which just chewed up bosses. I saw a lot of people say that the Witch of the Bog was a huge hurdle, but I think I killed her after she got one attack in. I hear magic gets very powerful, too, so there are a few builds that kind of cheese the bosses.

I'm just two handing a whip sword. I never like the slow powerful weapons even if they tend to break these types of games. Still, I managed to beat him after not that many more tries. I just needed to get some rest I guess. Also people really get stuck on The Witch? I think I maybe died to her twice learning what she did not after that it wasn't hard at all.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Macaluso posted:

That's why I so easily discount a subscriber count graph like that

every loving expansion saw a bump in player count around release that dropped off in a short while and it's hardly exclusive to world of warcraft either

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mists was fun but there are only so many directions you can take for an ancient MMO. You can see why vanilla servers are a popular idea when the years have added so many features and complexity to the game that DPS rotations started to feel like doing compounding interest problems in your head. I've jumped on a couple old school servers and there's an unassuming simplicity to old WoW that's kind of charming, though probably not if you never played it back then.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
really it doesn't matter because MMOs are garbage and bad

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ahundredbux posted:

really it doesn't matter because MMOs are garbage and bad

Pretty much this. None of the MMOs that have come out over the last few years even have been any good. They are all unquestionably terrible actually.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

So MMOs were once good but now are not?

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Jay Rust posted:

So MMOs were once good but now are not?

Mmos are literally joyrides now with no deviation, when even in 2000's with SWG, anarchy online, DaoC, were more of a community.

The only modern MMO with a community nowadays is ....

Well none really

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

You should probably not go to bat for games you didn't play that are reportedly incredibly buggy.

I will go to bat for it, because I watched gameplay vids of it, and it looks like a good clock tower style game

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's only been one MMO I've actively enjoyed playing, and its the MMO everyone hates (including me). :smith:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
what MMO is that

Dungeon Fighter Online is a good mmo that still exists and everybody should play it if they enjoy beat em up rpgs

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Unfunny Poster posted:

There's only been one MMO I've actively enjoyed playing, and its the MMO everyone hates (including me). :smith:

Blade and soul?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I don't understand wanting to go to bat for a game you've never played, especially when people who seem to want to like it are reporting gamebreaking bugs.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

http://i.imgur.com/1zN00E6.webm

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Dr Cheeto posted:

I don't understand wanting to go to bat for a game you've never played, especially when people who seem to want to like it are reporting gamebreaking bugs.

Because everything Ive seen and heard make it seem like a game that people who enjoyed clock tower will like, and it seems like a polarizing game with plenty of people who like it for the same reasons others don't like it (gamebreaking bugs notwithstanding)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Ahundredbux posted:

Help I started playing Torchlight II again

I bought Torchlight II a couple years ago after finishing the first game, but by then I was kind of burnt out on the gameplay. Maybe I should fire that fucker up now that I'm done with Hexen 2. I don't know what class I want to go with. Maybe an Engineer? Because I always go Rogue in the first Diablo game I went with the Vanquisher in Torchlight and had a lot of fun with it.

But even after getting through the class options I'll still be faced with the most difficult decision of all: choosing/naming a pet :ohdear:

E: I don't think playing Torchlight is good right now though because my mouse is on the fritz :argh:

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 11, 2016

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I remember being introduced to Ragnarok Online and being interested in all the cool classes and abilities, but not being able to pay for a monthly subscription. Then I found the free servers right around when I learned how to emulate SNES games and I entered a silver age of gaming. That went on until I graduated college and could afford to purchase games on the reg, and now I'm pretty much on the straight and narrow.

Ragnarok Online has some fan game that was a side scrolling beat 'em up/fighting game that I thought was really well made even if a few of the classes didn't quite work as expected. Ragnarok Battler Offline, that's what it was called.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

theultimo posted:

Blade and soul?

No, EVE.

I know I'll leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Unfunny Poster posted: