Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Unique Selling Point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Regular Voyage is $50 off on Amazon today, first time I've seen the actual base model on sale. Other Kindles on sale as well. If you don't care about the battery case might be a good time to buy.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I typically use 2 devices to read. My Voyager and the Kindle app on my iPhone.

I Calibred a book trilogy to my Voyager. They were MOBI and Calibre converted them to AZW3, then emailed them to my Voyager email address. Read the first 2 without issue.

For the third, whenever I read on my Voyager, it won't update the furthest page read when leaving the book or putting the device to sleep. If I go into the menu and try to sync manually, it gives me an error about not being able to update the furthest page read. So when I open it on my iPhone, it doesn't sync to the last page read on the Kindle. If I read on my iPhone, then do a manual sync, it doesn't give me any errors about not being able to update.

I've tried deleting the book from both devices, the Amazon cloud, re-emailed them from Calibre, re-converted it from MOBI to AZW3. This is the first book I've ever come across that is giving me these issues. The first 2 in the trilogy sync just fine. Anything else I can try?

Jesus Christ this is pissing me off. I even did a full reset on my Kindle and it still does this poo poo. I've had no problems with syncing 'personal documents' until this one singular book :(

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Jesus Christ this is pissing me off. I even did a full reset on my Kindle and it still does this poo poo. I've had no problems with syncing 'personal documents' until this one singular book :(

Maybe it's a problem with this one singular book file.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

hotsauce posted:

The trade in value on Amazon for a Kindle DX is... $5 :stonk:

Sad indeed. That thing was ahead of its time.

Bring back the DX and release an updated Voyage Bezos! Especially before my $20 discount expires!

Kindle DXs are going for $100 and up (waaaaayyyy up) on ebay. I was actually looking for one for my boyfriend but I wasn't willing to pay that much.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
What's the chances that Amazon adds back in audio playback since the new Kindle is rumored to have Bluetooth? Audible just announced a new 'channels' feature and it'd make sense to bring that part of their business back on board.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Decided it was time to get a new ereader to replace my aging Nook Glow and decided on the newest gen Paperwhite. My first ereader was a Kindle 2nd Gen, so I popped into support chat and said it wouldn't turn on and they gave my another $15 off that stacked with the $30 off for being a Prime subscriber. Threw in free overnight delivery as well. $80 total after taxes. What's the chance it will come with jailbreakable firmware?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Sub Rosa posted:

Decided it was time to get a new ereader to replace my aging Nook Glow and decided on the newest gen Paperwhite. My first ereader was a Kindle 2nd Gen, so I popped into support chat and said it wouldn't turn on and they gave my another $15 off that stacked with the $30 off for being a Prime subscriber. Threw in free overnight delivery as well. $80 total after taxes. What's the chance it will come with jailbreakable firmware?

Almost zero. Kindles usually (always?) ship with the latest update. If yours happens to be on 5.6.5 or earlier, put it on airplane mode immediately and then proceed to jailbreak at your leisure.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

If you can find it for sale at a retail outlet (didn't target or somebody stop selling amazon products out of spite?) you have a better chance of getting one with stale firmware.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
What does jailbreaking a Kindle get you?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Looks like the name leaked. It's the Kindle Oasis.

quote:

This time around it’s Amazon’s Japan website that appears to be letting the cat out of the bag a bit earlier than expected.

Someone over at MobileRead noticed a reference to something called “Kindle Oasis” posted under the list for Amazon device accessories. Clicking on the Kindle Oasis link reveals a page that is described as “Whiskey Accessories”. According to previously leaked details, we already know that the new Kindle’s codename at Lab126 is Whiskey.

So that all adds up to the new Kindle most likely being called Kindle Oasis.

http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/2016/04/09/kindle-oasis-likely-the-name-of-new-top-of-the-line-kindle/

And everybody's assuming that means that it will be waterproof.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 9, 2016

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Clark Nova posted:

If you can find it for sale at a retail outlet (didn't target or somebody stop selling amazon products out of spite?) you have a better chance of getting one with stale firmware.

Wait I need this answered

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Herr Tog posted:

Wait I need this answered

Target and Walmart

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-walmart-amazon-kindle-idUSBRE88J0WA20120920

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Thank you! so I can apparently get my hands all over them at bestbuy and radio shack of all places.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Herr Tog posted:

Thank you! so I can apparently get my hands all over them at bestbuy and radio shack of all places.

If you're gonna do it, I'd try the Staples or Office Depot or whatever on the poorest side of town, in hopes of less churn.

Present posted:

Last I heard about it, you can remove the ads (for free), and make more changes to the font settings. I actually have a rooted Nook Simple Touch, running android, and it while it truly is an open, general-purpose computer at this point, in practice the interface is so much worse than even the shittiest tablet/smartphone that it isn't worth doing anything other than reading books on it.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Jailbreaking a Kindle unlocks many, many features, most of which are nominally useful for regular people. I jailbroke mine so I could use koreader, set up collections based on folder structure, and open epubs directly from the main Kindle interface. There are a couple other tweaks I've made, like setting the screensaver to be the last screen shown.

However, you cannot remove Kindle ads for free by jailbreaking; that was an intentional change made by the author of the screensaver hack.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Present posted:

I did it so I could replace the default "screen saver" images with the covers of books I like. It's pretty much pointless as far as I can see, unless you're one of those people who really care a lot about fonts.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
When is the new Kindle reveal suppose to be?

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Clark Nova posted:

If you're gonna do it, I'd try the Staples or Office Depot or whatever on the poorest side of town, in hopes of less churn.

Thank you for the heads up!

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Almost zero. Kindles usually (always?) ship with the latest update. If yours happens to be on 5.6.5 or earlier, put it on airplane mode immediately and then proceed to jailbreak at your leisure.

Thanks. Having not been following this sort of thing, I get the impression that the people that do the jailbreaking don't like sharing their method with the community for months. So will the current firmware be broken eventually? Months? A year? Or abandon all hope ye who have the newest firmware?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Sub Rosa posted:

Thanks. Having not been following this sort of thing, I get the impression that the people that do the jailbreaking don't like sharing their method with the community for months. So will the current firmware be broken eventually? Months? A year? Or abandon all hope ye who have the newest firmware?

The thing about any kind of jailbreak is it's a successful attack against the security of the jail. Once a method is made public, the vendor of the jail (Amazon, Apple, whoever) can look at what's being done and begin work on fixing the flaw that allows the attach to work.

If you have an attack that's not publicly known it's best to wait to release it until the hardware vendor releases a major update to the system. That way you have the best chance of your attack actually working on the new thing.

Since there's definitely a new piece of hardware incoming and probably some sort of software update to older devices soon after to add some feature from the new device, I doubt you'll hear a peep from the jailbreak developers until they've been able to try it on the new stuff.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I thought the 5.6.5 jailbreak was intentionally withheld for months not to prevent Amazon from discovering their vector, but to intentionally wait until it had been resolved? Which makes me think they may have even disclosed it? Like, they waited long after they knew the vector would be closed?

Feel free to correct me, I only read a few pages of the jailbreak threads on mobiread forums.

Edit:

quote:

The delay between the announcement and the release is to give Amazon/Lab126 enough time to issue a 'fix' for the JB vector found.

Announced in September and not released until February after 5.7.2 was out.

Sub Rosa fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 10, 2016

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
No idea about anything specific to Kindle jailbreaking, I was just giving a general explanation since devs sitting on exploits is fairly common in all sorts of consumer electronics hacking.

Assuming that quote is representative of those devs, it sounds like they're more on the "white hat" end of things and don't want to release a zero day exploit.

The ethics of "responsible disclosure" get interesting when the same exploit could both enable users to do things they're otherwise locked out of but also attackers could gain control of your device. I don't know how many people should legitimately be worried about their Kindle being attacked, but who knows.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 11, 2016

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The Kindle oasis leaked and seems legit

not sure how I feel about the uneven back

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Is that smaller than the voyage?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
the voyage is 7.6 mm thick and if I'm reading the oasis ad right its 3.4 mm thick on one half and 8.5mm on the other. Im not sure what the other dimensions are but it seems a little wider

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
That looks horrible.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

It's not aesthetically pleasing, but you know what, I think I dig that asymmetrical shape. When holding the Voyager with one hand, I'll sometimes accidentally change the page since the area to hold onto isn't too large.

e: Or I'll drop it on my face if I'm reading in bed.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 11, 2016

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Yeah they are going for a grip. I like it.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

hatty posted:

The Kindle oasis leaked and seems legit

not sure how I feel about the uneven back

Looks pretty terrible (are those tiny page turn buttons?) but I'll consider it they've added back audio playback via Bluetooth. That's the one thing I really miss with my Paperwhite.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

That case doesn't cover the device entirely. I'd rather get one that does and pad the extra space with foam or paper.

Probably won't be buying it regardless, my old touch is still chugging along just fine.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

the littlest prince posted:

That case doesn't cover the device entirely. I'd rather get one that does and pad the extra space with foam or paper.

Probably won't be buying it regardless, my old touch is still chugging along just fine.

The entire back of the cover is battery. You can see it better in this other picture.

Also if it comes with the battery cover by default, how much do you guys think it will be? $239? I have trouble imagining that Amazon will eat the cost on that.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Let me guess...the case (which is essential) will be an extra, say, $59. Hmm.

Is this thing supposed to be announced today or "sometime this week?"

Edit: also, that off-center display...already triggered :spergin:

Edit2: another leak, just taken by me:

Yes, I still have the OG...I paid like $500 for the loving thing many moons ago. So, no bitching about the price of Kindles these days, okay?

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 11, 2016

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

hotsauce posted:

Let me guess...the case (which is essential) will be an extra, say, $59. Hmm.

Is this thing supposed to be announced today or "sometime this week?"

Edit: also, that non-centered bezel...triggered :spergin:

Seems to be included.

quote:

Very quick translation of text in images:

First Image
Leather case includes battery, extending device's battery life up to several months.
300 ppi high resolution e-ink display, a return to the paper reading experience
3.4 mm at its thinnest. (8.5 mm at its thickest)
Includes weight sensor, screen automatically rotates when held in left/right hand.

Second Image
Attractive magnets
Up to 12 magnets stably adhere the case to the device. The case is easily removed; upon removal the device becomes light again.

Third Image
A return to the paper reading experience
Benefiting from the high resolution e-ink display and the internal front reading light, eye fatigue and glare are prevented even under sunlight. Enjoy a reading experience akin to print on paper. All fonts have been manually adjusted down to the pixel level, for a paper book reading experience.

Fourth Image
Living for immersive reading
All New - ergonomic streamlined grip shifts device weight to your palm.
All New - touch the display or press the buttons on the device to easily flip pages.
All New - whether you chose to hold it in your left or right hand, Kindle Oasis's display will automatically flip 180 degrees, adhering to your habitual grip.

Fifth Image
Leather charging case
All New - Included removable charging case made from premium real leather, with three colors: snooker black, parchment brown, and Bordeaux red; an gapless accessory like a book cover, allowing you to wake or sleep the device with the flip of the cover.

Sixth Image
Double battery design extends life to several months
All New - internal battery and charging cover create a double battery system, effectively extending the battery life; when charging the device, both batteries are charged; when not charging, the charging case can charge the internal battery, providing you with months-long sleep time. A newly designed Kindle sleep mode can extend battery life to the greatest extent.

Seventh Image
High resolution e-ink display
With an utlra high resolution 300 ppi e-ink display, text appears clear and sharp.
Number of LEDs in the internal reading light has been increased 60%. The texture of the anti-glare display can increase the evenness of the display and the range of the brightness.
Eighth Image
Approximate Weight: 131 grams
Thinnest part is only 3.4 mm thick
About 30% thinner than other Kindle e-readers
20% lighter

https://www.reddit.com/r/kindle/comments/4eat8m/possible_new_images_of_kindle_oasis_from_amazon_cn/d1yhkui

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I expect the battery cover to be separate and maybe cost more than the origami cover maybe it will be $69?
I would think that this will be $200 and that the voyage will drop down to $150 and the paperwhite will stay the same

edit: oh, if its included then thats completely different

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I do wish, for some reason, that the back-lighting tint would follow the "blue light wrecks your sleep" trend (f.lux, night shift, etc) that's upon us.

I no longer have my PW2, but I do recall the light being very bluish-white, which seems to be bad for night time reading, given the anti-blue light "science" that's now a thing. Should have a "night" option like the Kindle Fires that change the white point to a more orange/yellow/red tint, no?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ah so it's basically just a Voyage's capabilities put in a weird design then.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

It's a bold design, and I think it'll either end up being the most or least popular Kindle yet. I personally love it - they're taking a page from Notion Ink's book (guffaw) and giving it a grip, which I think is a good thing for a device that's almost exclusively used one-handed. Removing the case is good for bed or other times when you want light weight over battery life, while the case gives you great battery life when you're taking it around.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
That looks like poo poo.

The posted specs on reddit don't make it seem better than the current ones. It's still the same 300 ppi resolution, same size(?), thinner and lighter but probably evens out with the added battery case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I think it looks neat, a reason to get a new Kindle if you're kind of in the mood for a new one. About fifteen years ago I was like that with minidisc players, lol, a new one every year and a half or so as they got thinner. :corsair:

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 11, 2016