Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

There's a map mode for forts, but not for ZoCs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

alcaras posted:

Thanks -- is there an easy way to see forts and their associated ZoCs on the map view?

PittTheElder posted:

There's a map mode for forts, but not for ZoCs.

For fort zone of control (for your nation) you just need to enable all of the forts you have and then select a military unit. All of the tiles where movement is blocked by your fort (to enemies) will have a smaller fort icon with a blue circle. Useful for finding holes in any forts you conquered from the AI.

Morzhovyye fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 11, 2016

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

alcaras posted:

Thanks -- is there an easy way to see forts and their associated ZoCs on the map view?

Also, any advice for starting a custom nation with a religion like Norse that is different from all its neighbors?
I think your major choices are start in the New World where you can prepare for eternal war, or wrangle a start where you can snap up some stooges and limit neighbors with an early war dec because you are going to be at eternal war.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
The correct answer is to start either in Mexico or SE Africa so you can fuel your early expansion on mountains of gold income (take -0.20 yearly inflation reduction as one of your early NIs).

Edit: unrelated, but holy hell don't gently caress with Hungary in the first few decades of the game. They've been really mean for a while, but I just got crushed while allied to Poland who was of course 3 Mil tech versus Hungary's 4. :smith:

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Apr 11, 2016

Redchaostry
Nov 27, 2008
Started a non-ironman game as Castile to see how hard getting Roman reformation is. lovely heir (0/0/0) died within 2 years of garrison duty, and was replaced by a strong claim 4+/4+/4+ kid about a year later. Wedding fired in the first 20 years. France, Burgundy and England played among themselves for nearly the first 170 years.

Year is 1613. Tech levels are 17/18/18. Currently I own All of Morroco's coastal provinces, Fez, most of Tunic's coastal provinces and all of their western ones, and Pisa. I have a lot of work to do in Europe. I focused way to much on colonizing, but the colonial nations' armies have helped a bunch. I am trying to figure out a way to annex/vassal Portugal, but they are allied with France. Only way in I see is declaring on a OPM (Friesland I think) that France is allied with, but not seeing a way to get a CB on them.

Ideas I went Exploration, Expansion, Administration, and Influence. Next up is probably a military tech or two. Thinking Quantity for the bonus manpower.

Things I have learned this game so far:

States - did not realize how they worked. Aragon provinces where 75% autonomy for over 100 years.
Vassals - how to created them and feed them provinces. And how useful having them instead of just owning all the territory myself is.
Coastal Raiding - is annoying, but I'm not really sure what impact it is having on my provinces.
Corruption - I worried about it to much early game, then just learned to ignore it until I could afford to make it go away.
Estates - Utilized them a bunch early game, then they didn't make much of a difference. Played into the fact that I never actually expanded (states). I mostly ignore them now as they are almost always one event away from rebel/coup.

I will remember more when I am not at work.

Redchaostry fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Apr 11, 2016

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I'm wrapping up an old game of 1.13 as Ayutthaya, with the old terrible karma mechanics. :mad: But all I'm seeing about the new patch has me wanting to hold off till the next major patch (1.17?) so paradox or fans can get all this stuff working well.

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?
Bad rumblings about 1.17, we'll see ya next groundhog day.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
1.17 is a meh patch but playable.

Coastal Raiding, playing as Castile I've not been raided once that I could see, at this point I assume you need the DLC for the AI to be able to raid?

Otherwise a really good rng game so far, early wedding event with Naples still under a PU, early PU over Portugal, Burgundian inheritance not firing and me putting a Trastemara up there.

One more thing, is the AI really bad at managing their estates this patch? It's just past 1500 and I've seen 7 messages about noble take overs creating republics.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

Pellisworth posted:

The correct answer is to start either in Mexico or SE Africa so you can fuel your early expansion on mountains of gold income (take -0.20 yearly inflation reduction as one of your early NIs).

Edit: unrelated, but holy hell don't gently caress with Hungary in the first few decades of the game. They've been really mean for a while, but I just got crushed while allied to Poland who was of course 3 Mil tech versus Hungary's 4. :smith:

So I take it trying to play a non-Catholic CN in Europe is a ... challenge.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

alcaras posted:

You could try the fringes of Europe, like Scandinavia.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Pellisworth posted:

Development is a better way of modeling the old base manpower/tax system. It is rarely worth investing a lot of points in development except as a point dump, with some exceptions.
1) Production dev in gold provinces for mad cash
2) Provinces where you could benefit from another building and are near a cutoff, for example taking a province from 9 to 10 dev and unlocking a building slot
3) As a point dump, manpower and tax in your "core" accepted-culture States, production dev in high-value trade good provinces

On a related note with the new gold depletion system (new as in it can now deplete below 10 production) is it still worth dumping huge amounts of dip points into boosting up your gold provinces? Can a province deplete more than once?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Just start with the provinces surrounding the Aegean Sea. Declare war on Byzantium and own the area. You can cut down the Ottoman by taking two thirds of their remaining provinces and putting two custom nations on them if you want.

Best starting location in the entire game, apart from the lovely toxic -2% missionary strength when heading east. The +coring cost of religion. :argh:

Poil fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Apr 11, 2016

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

alcaras posted:

Try it on the English Isles. No one will bother attacking you and if they do you'll be fine by just making sure they don't land.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Make sure you're not primitive/tribal so you can actually build boats

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

RabidWeasel posted:

On a related note with the new gold depletion system (new as in it can now deplete below 10 production) is it still worth dumping huge amounts of dip points into boosting up your gold provinces? Can a province deplete more than once?

Not sure if they can deplete more than once but I still take mine up to 10 or so production. Haven't had a depletion event yet, but even if it were to fire I'd still be making more than if I'd left it at 1 or 2 prod.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Pellisworth posted:

I'm playing as BYZ at the moment and HUN has been a much larger problem for me than the Ottos. Allied POL-LIT and the Ottos got wrecked when they attacked me, so I got a bunch of Greek land. But then HUN moved in and took the rest of the northern Balkans and decided they wanted Greece too. It might not have been too bad, but they also allied AUS. They launched 2 wars against me while I was fighting Venice for Greek islands which destroyed my manpower, but I was able to fight to White Peace in one case, and just lost provinces from my Bosnian and Serbian allies in the other (HUN attacked Serbia in the 2nd war so they were target and leader).

Luckily they landed a 0/0/1 king, had a civil war, and Bulgaria revolted away from them and promptly attacked me while I was fighting the Karaman and Candor (who ate most of the eastern Ottos) + MAM, but I was close to winning that war and managed to annex them for their insolence. By this time a better king had taken the HUN throne and they coalitioned me along with Karaman (who had much of Anatolia) and MAM. Then the Emperor died and left me with an age 0 (but 5/5/6) heir, so things looked rather bleak.

HUN had finally made a fatal mistake here though, because when Karaman launched the Coalition war AUS was not part of it, and I could just block the Bosporus and ignore my Anatolian provinces since they had no forts while my navy sank everyone else's. Meanwhile POL and I took HUN apart, then I landed some troops in MAM's western provinces to draw their army away from the front, and the combined Byzantine-Polish armies crushed KAR in isolation :feelsgood:

Still got a lot of regency years to go, but I need several to recover and integrate all this new land anyway.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Wafflecopper posted:

Not sure if they can deplete more than once but I still take mine up to 10 or so production. Haven't had a depletion event yet, but even if it were to fire I'd still be making more than if I'd left it at 1 or 2 prod.

All the depletion event does is halve the production points in a province, effectively wasting the points you put into developing it to the level it had before. It can fire over and over again, and you can develop it right back up if you want.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah, my impression was the min max way of doing Norse in America was to start in Central America/Panama region so you can rapidly hit both Aztecs and Incans.

Looked up the Norse word for 'gold' in the first online English-Old Norse dictionary I found.
I guess you'd be Gulland or Margloðland instead of Vinland?

MorphineMike
Nov 4, 2010
Norsak-Fonseca

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I've got a pretty good Benin game going post-patch/DLC but I'm starting to worry about how much of Africa I need to eat to hit 1000 development so I can be an empire. I've mostly consolidated the east african region and there has been surprisingly little colonising going on so I might end up having to do some myself at some point.

That is 447 development. My real problem is that I have no allies as such. OPM Hausa is my vassal that I plan to feed Kanem Bornu to and the little purple guy on the coast is another guy I'm going to vassalise and feed Jolof to.

Portugal decided to rival me, and Castile is one of my options as rival but I haven't set them yet.

I had some good fortune though, since my first idea group as Admin to be able to reform out of tribal government and I was sitting at +3 stab for a long time (to convert all the sunni provinces) and then I got hit with civil war due to low legitimacy. I was able to finish the civil war fast and still at +3 stab, so when the "end of the civil war" popup came along I could hit the button to reform and lose 5 stab then get 3 of them back instantly. Still need to westernise but I can do that thanks to bordering that Portuguese province which for some reason isn't in a trade company.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

MrBling posted:

Still need to westernise but I can do that thanks to bordering that Portuguese province which for some reason isn't in a trade company.

In my game Castille decided to make their African province a state, probably because they only had 10 provinces left in Spain.
I think most of Central Africa westernized early in the 1600s and after I conquered Sumatra it has dominoed all the way into China.

YoSaff
Feb 13, 2012

Everything is fine.
Figures that in my Tunis -> Sons of Carthage game that Castile would get the Wedding to fire, ally with an Austria who got the Inheritance, then work on systematically crushing France between them.

Starting to seriously worry about how much of Africa I'm gonna need to annex to pose a threat to Castile/Aragon.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
Is there a new strategy for fighting naval battles? I'd like to invade England as the Dutch but I don't know enough about what's changed

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

ImPureAwesome posted:

Is there a new strategy for fighting naval battles? I'd like to invade England as the Dutch but I don't know enough about what's changed

Naval battles now have width rather than positioning. That means you no longer want one doomstack of ships but want enough heavies/galleys to fill up your width entirely with nothing else.

Maybe a few extra heavies to replace losses, but every ship lost causes a ripple effect in moral to all other ships in the battle making going too far over the width limit pretty pointless since after a while the extra ships will run before even fighting.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Nitrousoxide posted:

Naval battles now have width rather than positioning. That means you no longer want one doomstack of ships but want enough heavies/galleys to fill up your width entirely with nothing else.

Maybe a few extra heavies to replace losses, but every ship lost causes a ripple effect in moral to all other ships in the battle making going too far over the width limit pretty pointless since after a while the extra ships will run before even fighting.

Okay, so if I split my stack to chain reinforce/chase like land units, I should be good?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

ImPureAwesome posted:

Okay, so if I split my stack to chain reinforce/chase like land units, I should be good?

Probably.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

ImPureAwesome posted:

Not really a fan of that 'mechanic' on land or sea.

Feels gamey and like it probably hurts the AI who doesn't get it.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I just realized that they reworked a lot of the sea zones in 1.16. Finally the Maldives aren't literally impossible to conquer unless you're a western colonizer or you've waited long enough for nationalism/imperialism to become a thing. That's bugged me ever since they added it as a nation.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I just got some estate event where I chose to have "elaborate court ceremonies" or something about giving the amirs more say in my court, and basically it cost a bunch of money and reduced tax income for 25 years but gave a bunch of positive effects and increased amir loyalty/influence. But now the amirs have a -15% influence modifier saying "Nobles expected to be in capital." The hell does that mean? Estates can't control your capital, is this decision broken?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

super fart shooter posted:

I just got some estate event where I chose to have "elaborate court ceremonies" or something about giving the amirs more say in my court, and basically it cost a bunch of money and reduced tax income for 25 years but gave a bunch of positive effects and increased amir loyalty/influence. But now the amirs have a -15% influence modifier saying "Nobles expected to be in capital." The hell does that mean? Estates can't control your capital, is this decision broken?

They're expected to be present in the capital to be able to contribute to the elaborate court life, so have less influence over their lands. It's as intended.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Oh, okay. I guess I didn't read the event window too carefully

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Doing an ironman game as Desmond -> Ireland, and I've just witnessed something I've never seen in EU4 before (with lucky nations mode on, anyway).

Morocco conquered Portugal. All of it.

Also somehow Castile imploded and there's now basically a three-way struggle for dominance between ascendant Leon, the remains of Castile (who are continually besieged by Bogolomists), and Aragon (who just pounded my buddy France to a pulp over Roussillon).

Anyway, re: Ireland... what's the best way to not bleed ducats every month? This island has kinda poo poo base tax and I can barely afford to keep my forcelimits (I have like 0.15 income per month). Do I go all-in on stacking trade power in the North Sea node? Would a tall strategy be viable? As it stands I doubt very much that I'll be colonizing just because my income is atrocious, and I can't afford to gut my army spending because of the constant threat of England.

Drone fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Apr 12, 2016

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Whatever happened to the Calais crossing? I remember it being a thing and now it's not there.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Tsyni posted:

Whatever happened to the Calais crossing? I remember it being a thing and now it's not there.

Apparently the AI couldn't handle it, and it was scrapped. At least, I think I heard DDRjake say something like that in his stream.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Drone posted:

Doing an ironman game as Desmond -> Ireland, and I've just witnessed something I've never seen in EU4 before (with lucky nations mode on, anyway).

Also somehow Castile imploded and there's now basically a three-way struggle for dominance between ascendant Leon, the remains of Castile (who are continually besieged by Bogolomists), and Aragon (who just pounded my buddy France to a pulp over Roussillon).

Anyway, re: Ireland... what's the best way to not bleed ducats every month? This island has kinda poo poo base tax and I can barely afford to keep my forcelimits (I have like 0.15 income per month). Do I go all-in on stacking trade power in the North Sea node? Would a tall strategy be viable? As it stands I doubt very much that I'll be colonizing just because my income is atrocious, and I can't afford to gut my army spending because of the constant threat of England.

This is basically my exact position now, except I'm Kildare and it's Leon, Granada and Morocco dividing Castile and Portugal up, and I'm Kildare struggling to keep afloat, especially since I've got a bunch of loans after having to go toe to toe with England while France pissed about occupying all of Brittany until Brittany would accept a white peace to force France to bother England.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

Drone posted:

Also somehow Castile imploded

Please don't post spoilers for the upcoming goon multiplayer game.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Baron Corbyn posted:

This is basically my exact position now, except I'm Kildare and it's Leon, Granada and Morocco dividing Castile and Portugal up, and I'm Kildare struggling to keep afloat, especially since I've got a bunch of loans after having to go toe to toe with England while France pissed about occupying all of Brittany until Brittany would accept a white peace to force France to bother England.

Basically the exact same, except I accrued a poo poo ton of loans conquering Leinster (who had English backup). I'm finally solvent again thanks to France and Austria offering me subsidies (which I have never, ever, EVER seen the AI do, and it owns), but I can't really sustain anymore growth until my income gets sorted out.

I can't even finish the conquest of Ireland either.. I'm best buds with Scotland, and they just conquered Ulster for themselves (which is I guess fine, since I don't need that province to form Ireland). England still controls Pale, and meddling Scotland has allied the sole remaining Irish OPM besides that, meaning I can't take them without sacrificing my Scottish friendship.

If I can somehow manage to get Pale from England, then I'll be more likely to ditch the Scots and hope to ally the English instead.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
how do i raise legitimacy faster

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

verbal enema posted:

ask the pope nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

verbal enema posted:

get more wifes

• Locked thread