Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Tekopo posted:

There's a sport/clothes shop in the town where I live that every so often has 'Closing soon! ALL STOCK MUST GO!' signs plastered all over its windows. It has been 'almost closing' for about 2 years now, as far as I can see.

The constantly re-whitewashed windows add to the effect too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Radish posted:

There's a furniture store near me that has had updated CLOSING EVERYTHING MUST GO NOW SALE signs for the last fifteen years.

We have a knight themed mattress/furniture store where I live that does that same thing. It's tricky because you know it's a lie but it sets off that Pavlovian signal in your brain that tells you you'd be a fool to let this mattress based opportunity pass on by.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

So why is that ork surfing on the back of a dragon?

Why wouldn't it be? Surfing is cool and good. Once again, AOS nearly captures what's great about surfing but forgets that the dragon needs to be a lot bigger (if the Orc is surfing on the dragon) to be impressive, or the Orc should be surfing with a hosed up tiny dragon on the giant rock behind it.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Elfface posted:

Yeah, that happened. But then Sigmar opened the gates again a length of time later (I want to say a few millennia) and the sigmarines came out to save/conquer the worlds. Presumably some people rebuilt some stuff... Like... Uh... Well the chaos and dwarves are basically naked... But the orruks got their armour from somewhere.

As far as I can tell, the first such battle is the stuff in the starter set. Perhaps it's been hundreds of in-game years since then, but why did the orcs industrialize enough to mine steel (and then punch it into shape???) in that time, whereas there appear to have been no significant developments whatsoever for any of the other factions? It's not like there was a new pattern of Sigmarine armor released to represent their forces hundreds of years after the initial push.

You know what I think? I think they were loving lazy.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles

The leaked screenshots only talk about "Ironjaws" which are essentially Black Orcs

I think it is safe to assume that Ironjaws are to Orruks as Pestilens are to Skaven, just one aspect of the greater force, and that we will see less bulky orruk releases as well

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
they look like knock off mantic orcs

But not even fantasy mantic, deadzone orcs, its loving weird

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

At least the next guy to make GW style Orcs won't get sued because GW now only makes ur-style orrucks.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Pawl posted:

I think it is safe to assume that Ironjaws are to Orruks as Pestilens are to Skaven, just one aspect of the greater force, and that we will see less bulky orruk releases as well

You'd think that about Sigmar's forces (that armor's probably expensive, and they could use some auxiliaries/militias to help take territory) and yet it's fat C-3P0s all the way down. The game's been out for almost a full year with multiple releases since launch. Every new release has been essentially-identical within a given faction. If they were going to show off how factions have variety within themselves, they would have already.

My money's on the non-Ironjaws just being repacks of the old minis. Because why bother trying to actually forge something new in the game that you explicitly designed as a total reimagining of the old? (Not to say that their new stuff is better, but it's the height of laziness to depict the human survivors of millennia of torture by Chaos as Old World Empire soldiers.)

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 11, 2016

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

I'm going to make a bold prediction: The other Orrrruuuk releases will also be poo poo, overdesigned and devoid of any personality or whimsy.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Avenging Dentist posted:

My money's on the non-Ironjaws just being repacks of the old minis. Because why bother trying to actually forge something new in the game that you explicitly designed as a total reimagining of the old?

I hear they didn't even forge their own narrative either :(

With what looks the addition of totally not terminator armour those Orcs/Orks/Urorks look symmetrical and mirrored like the Dwarves and Sigmarines too.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i love fantasy fiction, where a faction named Chaos whom are the most flat definition of Chaotic Evil possible and whose every bit of arbitrary characterisation is either based on, or justified by, them being Chaos, can have literal hundreds of loving years pass by in stagflation and conformity. blood citadels, forever.

one chaos warlord dared to build a pool and fill it with water instead of FROWNING GORE and he was subsequently flogged to death.

I mean one of the dumbest and most hilarious parts of Chaos is how uniform and conformist it tends to be with itself. Chaos Social Norms are actually enforced even more stringently than Imperial ones in 40k and Fantasy both because the gods are micromanaging douchebags who will stomp you immediately if you step enough out of line.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Next release will be the Orruuuks that rule the other Orrurrks. These superior ones are call Ur-Orruks. Then the goblyns invent a machine that changes little Orruks into these superior ones. They call this machine the Ur-Orruk-er. It is operated by a crazy Ur-Orruk who bears the title of 'Ur-Orruk-er-or'. His supervisor is naturally the 'Super-Ur-Orruk-er-or'.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

white primer uber alles

Avenging Dentist posted:

You'd think that about Sigmar's forces (that armor's probably expensive, and they could use some auxiliaries/militias to help take territory) and yet it's fat C-3P0s all the way down. The game's been out for almost a full year with multiple releases since launch. Every new release has been essentially-identical within a given faction. If they were going to show off how factions have variety within themselves, they would have already.

My money's on the non-Ironjaws just being repacks of the old minis. Because why bother trying to actually forge something new in the game that you explicitly designed as a total reimagining of the old? (Not to say that their new stuff is better, but it's the height of laziness to depict the human survivors of millennia of torture by Chaos as Old World Empire soldiers.)

Stormcast are made specifically to be huge and bulky. Like space marines they are all elites, the best of the best - one sigmarine is supposed to be able to kill at least a dozen regular mortals. It is supposed

You're right that we will very likely that we will get repacks for the remainder of the army

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

What the hell was wrong with the current black orc stuff?

it didn't fit well into 40k armies

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TKIY posted:

Next release will be the Orruuuks that rule the other Orrurrks. These superior ones are call Ur-Orruks. Then the goblyns invent a machine that changes little Orruks into these superior ones. They call this machine the Ur-Orruk-er. It is operated by a crazy Ur-Orruk who bears the title of 'Ur-Orruk-er-or'. His supervisor is naturally the 'Super-Ur-Orruk-er-or'.
When do we reach the Nigmos?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Pawl posted:

Stormcast are made specifically to be huge and bulky. Like space marines they are all elites, the best of the best - one sigmarine is supposed to be able to kill at least a dozen regular mortals. It is supposed

Space Marines, despite being a pretty uniform army by most standards, are positively precious little snowflakes compared to Sigmarines. For Sigmarines, you've basically got infantry, wing guys, and guys riding dragons. While they might have differing details, the Sigmarines themselves all have roughly the same armor. To make a Space Marine force as bland as Sigmarines, you'd have to restrict yourself to basic marines (tactical, assault, devastator), a command squad, and maybe some bikes and something like a Stormraven. In other words, you'd have to exclude stuff like tanks, terminators, dreadnoughts, drop pods, scouts, servitors, and centurions (yes, I'm aware centurions look like dogshit).

If, for instance, the Sigmarines had a box set of those little griffon dogs, some lightly-armored spellcasters, regular human auxiliaries, or even some mechanical contraptions, there'd be a lot more variety in the silhouettes and the faction would be better for it. While it's possible they'll do poo poo like this later, you shouldn't introduce your new faction with a vertical slice of almost-identical content; show people the full range of what you'd like to do, and fill things in from there.

That doesn't even get into the fact that Space Marines are better models if for no other reason than that they take off their helmets sometimes so you can see a tiny bit of character in the mini.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Also Space Marines come in at least several flavors so you can decide if you want wolves or blood or whatever. Sigmarines group are literally just repaints with no thought or distinction between them.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Avenging Dentist posted:

If, for instance, the Sigmarines had a box set of those little griffon dogs
I love these things. When you take a unit of them they can consist of any number of models, but the only way to get one is in that character blister. I imagine that someone somewhere has bought multiples of that character just to get more griffon dogs. The spare characters get mulched or something, who cares.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Safety Factor posted:

I love these things. When you take a unit of them they can consist of any number of models, but the only way to get one is in that character blister. I imagine that someone somewhere has bought multiples of that character just to get more griffon dogs. The spare characters get mulched or something, who cares.

Character blister nothing, dude. The only place I see that model is in a $205 box set. Nevermind, I found it. $40 :lol:

On another note, if you, as GW, wanted to focus strictly on "tactical sigmarines" for model releases, then design them to fit the fluff: new recruits still have a lot of personality, and the sprues should come with lots of bits to make them look unique. Maybe throw in a few nods to old factions, since that's (roughly) where they're being pulled from. Veteran units could have fancier armor but look more uniform (they lost their personality) and generally a bit they're sleepwalking through the battle.

Basically make the basic Sigmarines look like Bretonnian knights and veterans like Thousand Sons.

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 11, 2016

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Avenging Dentist posted:

Character blister nothing, dude. The only place I see that model is in a $205 box set.
Nah, it's in a $40 blister. Cheap, right? :v:

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Yeah, you beat me to the edit.

Broguts
Oct 16, 2014

Safety Factor posted:

Nah, it's in a $40 blister. Cheap, right? :v:

What the gently caress this is USD!? What is GW even doing?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
If the human armies are just repacks of the old Empire stuff does that mean people on the shiny gold outer space city still wear pantaloons and slashed sleeves and neck ruffs like their ancestors did thousands of years ago.
I know this is a stupid question, but i can't help it. The setting is so boring and the one thing I'd find mildly interesting would be some concept art of what's going on inside the crescent space station city. Where are the slums, where are the nice parts, etc. And not interesting enough to have a game about it but just, more interesting than literally not interesting at all.

Or hell how do you even get between the reality balls. it's with stargates, right?

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 11, 2016

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

If the human armies are just repacks of the old Empire stuff does that mean people on the shiny gold outer space city still wear pantaloons and slashed sleeves and neck ruffs like their ancestors did thousands of years ago.
I know this is a stupid question, but i can't help it. The setting is so boring and the one thing I'd find mildly interesting would be some concept art of what's going on inside the crescent space station city. Where are the slums, where are the nice parts, etc. And not interesting enough to have a game about it but just, more interesting than literally not interesting at all.

Or hell how do you even get between the reality balls. it's with stargates, right?

I think they're under the impression the reason people liked the game was because of their amazing well thought out rules and had nothing to do with the books and books of fluff and lore.

From what they've shown so far, I believe everyone on Planet Order is living in a cardboard box city ala that one episode of Ed, Edd, & Eddy.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Pig iron is cast iron, it's extremely brittle and cannot be cold (or even hot) worked. It's the exact opposite of the thing you'd want if you were an ork excuse me an orruk looking for something you could punch into ten thousand identical huge pauldrons (which would be wrought iron, mild steel, or probably just copper or bronze actually, and even in these cases, work-hardening would cause it to quickly start to crack).

This one tiny detail of stupidity is the last straw, I am so angry at games workshop :argh:

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

Pig iron is cast iron, it's extremely brittle and cannot be cold (or even hot) worked.

In AoS, pig iron is iron mined by pigs (a close relative of squigs).

e: Excuse me, pyghs.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Avenging Dentist posted:

In AoS, pig iron is iron mined by pigs (a close relative of squigs).

e: Excuse me, pyghs.

But definitely not Pygs, the tiny troll-kin offshoots from another fantasy skirmish game franchise.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

white primer uber alles
I didn't notice this earlier but there's new Ironjaw boar rider cavalry in those pictures too

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
Pig iron is iron made with pigs; for armour with that ham-fresh scent.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ashcans posted:

Also Space Marines come in at least several flavors so you can decide if you want wolves or blood or whatever. Sigmarines group are literally just repaints with no thought or distinction between them.
I remember somebody comparing things and the space marines were actually posed differently for different jobs, unlike the sigmarines, too.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I ALSO HAVE THESE QUAESTIONS. But the Pig Iron thing has taken the will out of me. I just need to know more about Ur-gold and tattoos. I always have

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Herr Tog posted:

I ALSO HAVE THESE QUAESTIONS. But the Pig Iron thing has taken the will out of me. I just need to know more about Ur-gold and tattoos. I always have

Ur-gold is not actually gold its tiny fragments of the soul of a dead dwarven god who depending upon how you interpret the end times, may or may not be Grotek.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Skinty McEdger posted:

Ur-gold is not actually gold its tiny fragments of the soul of a dead dwarven god who depending upon how you interpret the end times, may or may not be Grotek.

So wait, the not-dwarves are fighting to earn more fragments of their dead god because somehow other people have ended up with them and value them. And then the not-dwarves take these parts and tattoo then into their body?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I don't hate the wyvern, I'm a sucker for the Smaug bat-dragon aesthetic, shame it will be $125 and the face looks terrible.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Herr Tog posted:

So wait, the not-dwarves are fighting to earn more fragments of their dead god because somehow other people have ended up with them and value them. And then the not-dwarves take these parts and tattoo then into their body?

Yes.

Also they're willing to fight alongside Chaos to get it.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Just because it's very silly, to expand.

At the end of the last Gotrek novel he apparently ascends to become Grimnir, the slayer god. In the time between the End Times and Age of Sigmar Grimnir takes on the greatest monster, Vulcatrix, and dies in the effort of killing it. The Fyreslayers break away from the rest of Dwarven culture, believe that Grimnir's soul has been shattered into millions of pieces and been spread throughout the realms and are now obsessed with reclaiming it (and tattooing themselves with it).

But it's also implied that perhaps they've been misled about this all, and in fact the Ur-gold has nothing to do with Grimnir but instead is Slaanesh and in undergoing the whole process they're in fact freeing her from her confinement by the elves.

Oh and I guess Ur-Gold is also one of the things that links Age Of Sigmar to 40k, as its a forgotten bit of Ork lore from 4th edition.

Edit:
Oh I guess I forgot as well, the reason the Fyreslayers tattoo Ur-gold into ruins on their body is because their runemasters told them by doing so they would be mightier and closer to Grimnir's perfection. All of the Fyreslayer's runemasters were once Chaos Dwarves, a fact that is common knowledge amongst the Fyreslayers but which for some reason they're too stupid to realise might be a bad idea.

Skinty McEdger fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 12, 2016

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

white primer uber alles
Yeah mashing the ur-gold into their skin is described almost like taking drugs and getting superpowers, and then some sort of Ethereal-esque hive mind control/addiction that makes them want more and more and more of it

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Skinty McEdger posted:

Just because it's very silly, to expand.

At the end of the last Gotrek novel he apparently ascends to become Grimnir, the slayer god. In the time between the End Times and Age of Sigmar Grimnir takes on the greatest monster, Vulcatrix, and dies in the effort of killing it. The Fyreslayers break away from the rest of Dwarven culture, believe that Grimnir's soul has been shattered into millions of pieces and been spread throughout the realms and are now obsessed with reclaiming it (and tattooing themselves with it).

But it's also implied that perhaps they've been misled about this all, and in fact the Ur-gold has nothing to do with Grimnir but instead is Slaanesh and in undergoing the whole process they're in fact freeing her from her confinement by the elves.

Oh and I guess Ur-Gold is also one of the things that links Age Of Sigmar to 40k, as its a forgotten bit of Ork lore from 4th edition.

Edit:
Oh I guess I forgot as well, the reason the Fyreslayers tattoo Ur-gold into ruins on their body is because their runemasters told them by doing so they would be mightier and closer to Grimnir's perfection. All of the Fyreslayer's runemasters were once Chaos Dwarves, a fact that is common knowledge amongst the Fyreslayers but which for some reason they're too stupid to realise might be a bad idea.
Are you making all of this up? I refuse to believe anyone cared enough about the lore of Age of Sigmar to read any of the books.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Safety Factor posted:

This is when our Japanese friends from China come in handy...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Night10194 posted:

I mean one of the dumbest and most hilarious parts of Chaos is how uniform and conformist it tends to be with itself. Chaos Social Norms are actually enforced even more stringently than Imperial ones in 40k and Fantasy both because the gods are micromanaging douchebags who will stomp you immediately if you step enough out of line.

it wouldn't be that obnoxious on the surface if they cribbed notes from Mad Max how you can have anarchist/chaotic aesthetic even with a fundamentally repressive organization but nope its just scowling topknot bearing shirtless dudes all shuffling about the planes searching for the most perfect skulls for their skull pile. *video cuts to a khornite creating a pile of broken goblin skulls, which promptly collapses* this one is unlikely to find a mate before the coming gorestorm

• Locked thread