Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

How is the world layout? Is it all interconnected like DaS? Or just multiple non-interconnecting paths like DaSII?

each level is the size of undead burg + lower undead burg + undead parish, complete with shortcuts, but they seldom connect to each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
DEX / Pyro is going to be my first build, simply because a quick weapon and a decent ranged attack is the most Bloodborne-like build possible.

Edit: Plus having a flaming hand that shoots fire and a burning katana will look impossibly badass.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I know nothing about this game except what's been in the trailers and I am hype af rn

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

How is the world layout? Is it all interconnected like DaS? Or just multiple non-interconnecting paths like DaSII?

More like DS2, but the areas themselves are very dense, you won't be too disappointed.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

turtlecrunch posted:

More like DS2, but the areas themselves are very dense, you won't be too disappointed.

But in a way that makes sense, even for a fantasy-world.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

each level is the size of undead burg + lower undead burg + undead parish, complete with shortcuts, but they seldom connect to each other.

Given this description, I'd say it's like Bloodborne. Not all that many inter-area connections, but many paths through each area with shortcuts.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
So elemental infused weapons are back to not being buffable then eh?

I was going to go with a faith/str buff build but now I'm not so sure. I wonder how normal or heavy infusion + buff is going to stack up to blessed/lightning with no enchant.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Harrow posted:

I heard that you need 25 Dex + the ring to get max casting speed. Whether that's noticeable compared to like... 18 Dex + the ring is another question entirely.

Either way, when I do make a Dex/Pyro hybrid, it'll mostly be for buffing a curved sword that'll be, on its own, stronger than a raw weapon. Chaos is probably more efficient, but a Carthus Pyromancer build would be as much for cool points as for power. And 25/25 with the three pyro rings should be plenty strong anyway. Probably have to sacrifice a bit on Vigor (30 + Prisoner's Chain) to get there, but that's okay--the difference between 35 Vigor and 40 Vigor is like 50 HP, I'll deal.

Harrow while we're on STAT CHAT have you come across any info on soft caps/diminishing returns breakpoints for Vigor and Endurance and the like? The offensive stats have been well covered at this point, but the others less so.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

Harrow while we're on STAT CHAT have you come across any info on soft caps/diminishing returns breakpoints for Vigor and Endurance and the like? The offensive stats have been well covered at this point, but the others less so.

Yep! https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls3JPN/comments/4buqwd/some_numbers_for_stat_caps_small_spoilers/

Its scaling number breakdown is kind of flawed--the person didn't take into account the damage jump from meeting minimum requirements, and really no one weapon tells the whole story with scaling--but these are the HP, FP, Stamina, and equip load numbers for various stat increments.

HP growth seems to slow down at 40 Vigor, like you'd expect. (I was wrong, though--the difference between 35 and 40 Vigor is actually 72 HP, not 50.) Given the HP buff from using an Ember and the presence of a ring that gives +5 Vigor, I could see arguments for stopping at anywhere from 30 to 45 Vigor, depending on your build and how much PvP you want to do and whether you think 100 HP is a big deal or not.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 11, 2016

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
When does this video game unlock on PS4...on EST...

e: vvv video GAAAAAAAAAAAAMES

Bogart fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 11, 2016

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Bogart posted:

When does this video game unlock on PS4...on EST...

midnight

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Harrow posted:

Given this description, I'd say it's like Bloodborne. Not all that many inter-area connections, but many paths through each area with shortcuts.

thats accurate but the areas are all larger than the ones in bloodborne

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I think the biggest thing I'm going to miss from DS1 and 2 is that 3 is already out so we aren't going to all swap bad/not-quite-accurate information trying to work ourselves along the whole time. That was the best part of DS1 for me, especially in the broken multiplayer dark times on 360 DS1. An hour and a half for one summon at Ornstein and Smough! :allears:

e: Summoning Failed

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 11, 2016

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Remember when people thought if you raised your dex enough you could get the flippy darkwood grain roll lmao

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

if I worked at FROM i'd shuffle all the item names and stats around every so often to keep people on their toes

I'm glad I don't work at FROM

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Classic claymore/shield approach is functional, but the bandit knife and shortbow soul arts make the game a ton of fun and feel like Bloodborne. UGH, DECISIONS.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
At least me and my friends have stayed dark. On DS 2 release day we all joined the Covenant of Champions because, hey, I feel like a champion! Then we wondered why the game was way harder than the original.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

RBA Starblade posted:

I think the biggest thing I'm going to miss from DS1 and 2 is that 3 is already out so we aren't going to all swap bad/not-quite-accurate information trying to work ourselves along the whole time. That was the best part of DS1 for me, especially in the broken multiplayer dark times on 360 DS1. An hour and a half for one summon at Ornstein and Smough! :allears:

i've at least managed to avoid being spoiled on anything besides gameplay mechanics (which aren't spoilers) and the very start of the first area so im happy with that

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

voltron lion force posted:

Remember when people thought if you raised your dex enough you could get the flippy darkwood grain roll lmao

My favorite was it taking everybody like two months to figure out what the gravelord covenant was supposed to even do, because it only worked for NG+.

quote:

Classic claymore/shield approach is functional, but the bandit knife and shortbow soul arts make the game a ton of fun and feel like Bloodborne. UGH, DECISIONS.

While I dislike Bloodborne's style of gameplay I appreciate that there is the gear there to play like that if you want to.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Without saying anything spoiler wise, dark souls 3 really feels like they put together all of their lessons they learned from all of the last souls borne games and put in just about every quality of life improvement. Including new ones just for this game.

I hope they at least use this engine and formula for a new sci-fi series or something. They've got it so drat right with this game, it makes all the previous ones look pretty inferior.

Basically get hyped as gently caress.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Genocyber posted:

They are back. You get them from the crows.

For the wood carvings, Is there a specific item you need to trade in?

If I can't spam "Very Good" constantly then I won't know what to do with myself.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

RBA Starblade posted:

While I dislike Bloodborne's style of gameplay I appreciate that there is the gear there to play like that if you want to.

I wish I could play Bloodborne :(

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

Ineffiable posted:

Without saying anything spoiler wise, dark souls 3 really feels like they put together all of their lessons they learned from all of the last souls borne games and put in just about every quality of life improvement. Including new ones just for this game.

I hope they at least use this engine and formula for a new sci-fi series or something. They've got it so drat right with this game, it makes all the previous ones look pretty inferior.

Good to hear that I will have to pop in the shop and buy this tommorow after work...and after I get a haircut :v:

Can I still weild dual two handed greatswords in this game like I could in Dark Souls 2?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Bogart posted:

e: vvv video GAAAAAAAAAAAAMES

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

poptart_fairy posted:

Classic claymore/shield approach is functional

That's what i'm aiming for, complimented with a pyro flame.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

voltcatfish posted:

I wish I could play Bloodborne :(

Bloodborne is the reason I'm glad I have a PS4. I know it's not for everyone, but it's far and away my favorite game in this series for a whole lot of reasons. I've said before that if I love DS3 even half as much as I love Bloodborne, it'll be one of my favorite games of all time.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah I really like the look of the bow from what I've seen. I'd just like to know if it's viable to go with a bow as your primary weapon for the whole game.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I really want to do a bloodborne build but it won't be the same without regain

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

Harrow posted:

I heard that you need 25 Dex + the ring to get max casting speed. Whether that's noticeable compared to like... 18 Dex + the ring is another question entirely.

Either way, when I do make a Dex/Pyro hybrid, it'll mostly be for buffing a curved sword that'll be, on its own, stronger than a raw weapon. Chaos is probably more efficient, but a Carthus Pyromancer build would be as much for cool points as for power. And 25/25 with the three pyro rings should be plenty strong anyway. Probably have to sacrifice a bit on Vigor (30 + Prisoner's Chain) to get there, but that's okay--the difference between 35 Vigor and 40 Vigor is like 50 HP, I'll deal.

Sage Ring +2 alone hits the cast speed cap, +1 is almost there and the base ring needs like 20 dex

Anasurimbur
Nov 18, 2010

SHODAN Processing Component 43893
So, Amazon isn't sending my "Day one edition" until Thursday - which is just unacceptable for me. I didn't realize that it was going to take two days until I received the game that I pre-ordered.

I sat down on PSN to go purchase the game and I keep getting errors all around: At first I received a credit card error despite everything being correct (I Just used it on PSN a few days ago.) When I went to just add funds rather than directly buy the game I got a generic "cannot do that" error. I attempted to buy online - same thing.

PSN's lack of service is so loving frustrating. Likely just going to buy game cards and plug those in, now - here's hoping that'll work.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I am excited to play the videogame Dark Souls 3.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Ineffiable posted:

From Soft presents: Star Wars?

boz
Oct 16, 2005

axeil posted:

If I can't spam "Very Good" constantly then I won't know what to do with myself.

Click for crow location and trading items.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Anasurimbur posted:

So, Amazon isn't sending my "Day one edition" until Thursday - which is just unacceptable for me. I didn't realize that it was going to take two days until I received the game that I pre-ordered.

I sat down on PSN to go purchase the game and I keep getting errors all around: At first I received a credit card error despite everything being correct (I Just used it on PSN a few days ago.) When I went to just add funds rather than directly buy the game I got a generic "cannot do that" error. I attempted to buy online - same thing.

PSN's lack of service is so loving frustrating. Likely just going to buy game cards and plug those in, now - here's hoping that'll work.

It should, that is how I fixed my purchasing problem earlier last year

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Pwnstar posted:

I am excited to play the videogame Dark Souls 3.

2016's shaping up to be a good year for viddy games between XCOM and Dark Souls.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Found a site selling DS3 for 45 real dollars or 31 European dollars. Just bought a key and it worked so they're not running off with the money

https://uk.gamesplanet.com/game/dark-souls-iii-steam-key--2978-1

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

Think Bloodborne.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Anasurimbur posted:

With Amazon, the release-date delivery was only confirmed after a certain date. If you pre-ordered before that you don't get it unless you cancel and re-order or contact Amazon support. At this point it'd probably be too late, though not necessarily since they can ship within a day. Always keep an eye on the delivery estimate, especially as it reaches release date.

axeil posted:

The items you trade for carvings are Divine Blessing, Hidden Blessing, Shriving Stone, and Saint-tree Bellvine.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

weekly font posted:

Think Bloodborne.

uhh whats bloodborne like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
After shamelessly spoiling myself on the bosses ( gently caress it, I need all the help I can get ) some of the size scaling and gimmicks of certain bosses has me pretty hype for when Bloodborne 2 inevitably gets made.

Looks like the guide has been delayed like last time though, it was supposed to release at the same time and I'm getting a 'we've got no bloody idea when we'll actually have this' from Amazon.

limited fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 11, 2016