Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I want to pet the dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

homeless poster posted:

the only thing that i have issue with right now is that treadnaught seems so much harder than cannonbalrog, it's not even funny. i have never once beat treadnaught, and i've managed to get to it with some decent equipment like double vision + fightsabre or whatever, but his adds make the fight too unpredictable for me.

that, and there's no way to practice against bosses without getting all the way down to them. i would love some kind of boss practice mode (maybe it's an NPC shop you unlock like everything else in the breach) where you can just fight the bosses to figure out what they're about. i've faced each of the level 4 bosses exactly once each, and died fairly early on, and i don't feel like if i fought them again i would really be any better for it because i am getting next to no practice against them.

If you unlock the shortcuts, you can get some decent boss practice in. That's how I really learned the floor 3 and 4 bosses, as I used the elevator shortcuts to do them over and over again in an attempt for a flawless (to unlock the next elevator). I got pretty decent at all of them except maybe the tank, who I still don't think I could flawless without a pretty overpowered weapon.

If you unlock all of the elevators you get something else that would help with boss practice, although by that point you're probably pretty good at fighting them.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Digirat posted:

I want to pet the dog

This is hopefully high on their priority list, because how can you include a dog in a video game and not let the player pet it :petdog:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Completed all 4 Character passts now, 24 deaths. Also managed to flawless Wallmonger with smileys revolver and potion of gun friendship, it was amazing.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

CJacobs posted:

funny thing about that is he doesn't have any hours played in the game. hmmmmmmmmm.

edit: or any of the achievements unlocked. so either he bought the game twice or he's lying, either way he is a big ol tool

I was gone all weekend but wanted to say I play on my PS4. I have it on steam for when I want to lug my laptop around.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Angry Diplomat posted:

Yeah keys are way too uncommon for how prone the game is to randomly sticking shops and other stuff behind locked doors. I cannot even imagine ever having a good reason to buy anything from the door merchant guy who takes keys instead of money.

e: just make one ammo box and one key be guaranteed boss drops on top of whatever other stuff you randomly get, imho.

I think he can sell the necklace that "Unlocks all chests!" by turning them all into mimics.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Vargs posted:

If you unlock the shortcuts, you can get some decent boss practice in.

How do you even start the elevator building quest? The dude is chilling in my Breach but every time I talk to him he just says "for now you'll have to make your way down the hard way".

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Digirat posted:

I want to pet the dog

I want to play as the dog as it carries around a gun in its mouth.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Der Shovel posted:

How do you even start the elevator building quest? The dude is chilling in my Breach but every time I talk to him he just says "for now you'll have to make your way down the hard way".

Jump in the pit left by the elevator on the 2nd floor

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

FrickenMoron posted:

Completed all 4 Character passts now, 24 deaths. Also managed to flawless Wallmonger with smileys revolver and potion of gun friendship, it was amazing.

Can I touch you?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I just clear floor 1+2 with the pistol only because nothing is dangerous on those floors (the lead maidens will get a more powerful treatment if the room layout is small but that's it)

From there I mostly use the pistol and maybe a different weapon if I dislike the layout or enemies. Maybe it's because the auto aim seems to be a little bit stronger on the PS4 but it's not really all that slow at all and I can get to the Dragun in like 45-50 minutes pretty reliably.

That being said though I just streamed a run for some friends where I broke every chest I came across and didn't buy a single thing in hopes of giving the elevator dude 4 keys and 180 shells. I pretty much perfected all 3 floors and still only had 3 keys, coolness or not somethings gotta give.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Stanley Pain posted:

I sitll don't understand how this game is tedious, or any of the things you said make it tedious. Binding of Issac is like 100x more tedious :(

Maybe you meant difficult?

Depending on what weapons drop, you may only have weapons that you want to reserve for bosses (to maybe get a flawless and more HP), or are garbage. This means that you will likely use the starting pistol for the rest of the floor. The starting pistol slowly becomes more outclassed on later floors as enemy health scales, meaning you have more opportunity to make more mistakes, which means less loot, which means you are more likely to only have your starting pistol to clear floors, etc. When you get better at the game, bad RNG still means that the first 2/5 to 3/5 of the game involves using the exact same weapons, which feels tedious to the player because they find these reallycool guns that they can't use if they want to beat the boss in a reasonable amount of time.

The game has many small quirks which are okay on their own or maybe in a pair, but combined together really drag the game down for repeat playthroughs. The game even isn't that hard for the first half of the game (except for some boss fights) thanks to dodge rolling once you get used to it. It just feels bad that you have to play under tedious conditions until the RNG feels happy enough to give you enough guns for leeway to actually have some fun.

Again, I state that the sorceress vastly improves the game by cutting some of these quirks out (ammo drops, finding enough keys to get guns, having to use the starter pistol), so much that I would prefer to play this mode all the time instead of being limited access to it.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
RE: Tediousness

I would probably play the hell out of an "Easy Mode" where ammo is unlimited. I would still want to play an "actual" game in between runs for the difficulty, but the sheer amount of fun you could have mindlessly blasting stuff with all the awesome guns you pick up would probably keep me playing for hundreds of hours.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Uguu every time I try to get the 300/6 resources with the gun blessing I gently caress up the early bosses and run out of hp by floor 4. So annoying to scrounge up all these items.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

FrickenMoron posted:

Uguu every time I try to get the 300/6 resources with the gun blessing I gently caress up the early bosses and run out of hp by floor 4. So annoying to scrounge up all these items.

Speaking of tedium :shopkeeper:

Chaitai
Apr 15, 2006
Nope. I got nothin' witty to go here.

College Slice

Der Shovel posted:

I just came here to ask the same question. When I rescued the guy, he came back to the breach and said to meet him in the elevator shaft of the second chamber. I've gotten back there several times, but he hasn't been there. Do I need to actually jump in the elevator shaft? I don't know what to do.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Chaitai posted:

I just came here to ask the same question. When I rescued the guy, he came back to the breach and said to meet him in the elevator shaft of the second chamber. I've gotten back there several times, but he hasn't been there. Do I need to actually jump in the elevator shaft? I don't know what to do.

Yeah you need to jump into the hole.

It's not very clear, you'd expect to just take damage like with every other whole. But you can jump down the elevator shaft into a maintenance room.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Yeah you need to jump into the hole.

It's not very clear, you'd expect to just take damage like with every other whole. But you can jump down the elevator shaft into a maintenance room.

it's extremely clear. there's even a sign with a downward arrow

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Chaitai posted:

I answered it like 7 posts up from here on this very page.

Stanley Pain posted:

Speaking of tedium :shopkeeper:

Those shortcut quests are pretty irritating. I mean at least with Spelunky it was all pretty reasonable stuff to get in order to unlock the shortcuts, and you could reasonable expect to get it all. For what it's worth i found it easiest to accomplish with the hunter since that little bit of extra stuff might make or break it. You literally have to plan to do a run with the goal of getting shortcut work done.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

DolphinCop posted:

Not if you immediately run out of the room like I always did. Just a quick look around "huh, guess he's not here yet", then moving on. I finally looked it up to understand the deal there.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
With the gun blessing getting the resources for floor 5 is definitely possible but sometimes you just get super lovely guns on the boss fights and then youre in a pinch if you havent found a single active item in the whole run.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

whoever posted about guns automatically reloading themselves if you wait out their reload time while switched more or less made all of my runs easier

even with a bad gun, switching to your crappy starting gun and letting the other automatically reload downs bosses faster and makes the Convict playable

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
I don't get the bullet-sponge complaints with this game, it isn't like Isaac where the bosses have simple patterns and are expected to be demolished within 15 seconds or so. The boss fights go on for about 3 minutes tops I've found. They're actually entertaining and tense throughout.

Also for rng fuckery: There's always at least two locked chests on a floor, if one is brown, hold off on using keys until you find the other one which will (usually) be a higher quality. Using your keys for anything else on a run is a fairly big gamble and should be treated as such (gamble as in not having keys for chests on other floors). I mean I suck rear end at the game, but I can get to chamber 4's boss consistently despite taking damage for stupid reasons because I weigh the risk vs reward of using keys on certain things.

I see a lot of people having a hard time with treadnaught, but all you really have to do is run away from him on the edges of the arena (making alterations as needed) which gives you more room to dodge his shots/let his shots spread out and oddly, seems to make him spawn dudes less frequently (not confirmed exactly, but I've never seen him really spawn guys when I started doing this).

drink_bleach
Dec 13, 2004

Praise the Sun!
Well I don't think this will ever happen again. Ended floor 1 with 6 keys, and that was without even finding the secret room.

Ultimatefire
May 6, 2013
This game is alternate universe hardmode Link to the Past. My amygdala is satisfied.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

I forgot to screenshot the Convict sadly. Still, game gets pretty easy once you know what youre doing but its still tedious. The 100 chandelier kills will be probably the last thing I do in the game.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
If anyone wants to know what the reward for fixing the level 5 elevator, Here it is. (spoilers)

Also, I discovered that the mummy dudes on floor 4 indefinitely summons red dudes that drop money every kill (usually 3-5), so if you're short on money for level 4 or 5, that's a pretty easy way to farm up some.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 11, 2016

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

DolphinCop posted:

Why would I assume that means I need to jump down the pit? I figured it just was for flavor, like "here's where the elevator goes". It's kind of a big jump in logic to assume you gotta jump down a hole that anywhere else in the game would deal damage to you

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

IronicDongz posted:

Why would I assume that means I need to jump down the pit? I figured it just was for flavor, like "here's where the elevator goes". It's kind of a big jump in logic to assume you gotta jump down a hole that anywhere else in the game would deal damage to you

Because it's only on the ones where he's at. All the others have blank walls.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
If I don't know a dude is down a hole I am not gonna jump down it when holes hurt you literally everywhere else in the game. Putting an arrow next to it isn't really enough put me at ease without prior knowledge of how it works

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

IronicDongz posted:

If I don't know a dude is down a hole I am not gonna jump down it when holes hurt you literally everywhere else in the game. Putting an arrow next to it isn't really enough put me at ease without prior knowledge of how it works

If you're not even willing to try it to see what happens, in a game you already know has multiple secret levels and paths hidden in plain sight, that's not really the game's fault. You lose, at most, half a heart of health from trying it. If you just never thought to do it, that's one thing, but deciding you aren't going to try it to see what happens is your fault.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
To be fair, I only found out about the maintenance shaft from trying to roll back into the elevator before the doors closed.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

CJacobs posted:

If you're not even willing to try it to see what happens, in a game you already know has multiple secret levels and paths hidden in plain sight, that's not really the game's fault. You lose, at most, half a heart of health from trying it. If you just never thought to do it, that's one thing, but deciding you aren't going to try it to see what happens is your fault.
Right, I'm saying I never thought to do it because jumping into a hole in this game didn't make sense to me, arrows or not.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Getting sick of the games vague bullshit and looking up the answer on the Wiki is a Rouge-Light tradition.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

FrickenMoron posted:

I forgot to screenshot the Convict sadly. Still, game gets pretty easy once you know what youre doing but its still tedious. The 100 chandelier kills will be probably the last thing I do in the game.

Man I am so bad at video games.

Your Computer posted:

RE: Tediousness

I would probably play the hell out of an "Easy Mode" where ammo is unlimited. I would still want to play an "actual" game in between runs for the difficulty, but the sheer amount of fun you could have mindlessly blasting stuff with all the awesome guns you pick up would probably keep me playing for hundreds of hours.

There's probably already a CE script for this, for what it's worth.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Reading this thread and finding that getting guns and loot is predicated on gitting gud has probably turned me off this game forever. It's like a double edged sword; since I'm bad, I'm going to be stuck with bad guns and no ammo, and by the time I'm good enough to clear the game with that I won't need the good guns and all the ammo I get as a reward.

I started playing Nuclear Throne after this game and that is another game that is extremely hard, but does not have completely absurd hidden mechanics like this. And while I die in the first few levels all the time, I still get cool guns and get to have fun, and I'm still gitting gud because now I can beat the final boss and loop whereas earlier I couldn't. If Nuclear Throne had mechanics like this game then you would lose a level of loot drops permanently if you get hit once on a given stage.

I can see EtG being a fun game, eventually, once I unlock poo poo and get really good at figuring out how everything works and how to not immediately lose a run if I get Treadnaught at the end of level 3, but until I reach that point it's slow paced and tedious. And if I have a bad start then there's no way I can ever recover since I'm already behind the curve when the game gets tough. To me it just seems like a massive waste of time, even for a video game.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jibo posted:

There's probably already a CE script for this, for what it's worth.

Heck, I didn't even think about that. Oh the wonders of PC gaming :allears:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

Reading this thread and finding that getting guns and loot is predicated on gitting gud has probably turned me off this game forever. It's like a double edged sword; since I'm bad, I'm going to be stuck with bad guns and no ammo, and by the time I'm good enough to clear the game with that I won't need the good guns and all the ammo I get as a reward.

I started playing Nuclear Throne after this game and that is another game that is extremely hard, but does not have completely absurd hidden mechanics like this. And while I die in the first few levels all the time, I still get cool guns and get to have fun, and I'm still gitting gud because now I can beat the final boss and loop whereas earlier I couldn't. If Nuclear Throne had mechanics like this game then you would lose a level of loot drops permanently if you get hit once on a given stage.

I can see EtG being a fun game, eventually, once I unlock poo poo and get really good at figuring out how everything works and how to not immediately lose a run if I get Treadnaught at the end of level 3, but until I reach that point it's slow paced and tedious. And if I have a bad start then there's no way I can ever recover since I'm already behind the curve when the game gets tough. To me it just seems like a massive waste of time, even for a video game.

While we're comparing to nuclear throne:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJdEqssNZ-U

I feel like gungeon's ratio of enemies to enemy health is much too low. Having to pour entire magazines into single enemies is not very fun, where hitting a basic enemy with every single pellet of a shotgun won't kill it (and also makes the spread pointless in the first place). Cleaning through lots of enemies faster that individually pose less threat gives you faster feedback, and makes the differences between weapon types and crowd control matter more.

They got a ton of aspects of the "feel" right but this is an exception.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm bad at video games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

How often you get hit only affects room drops, so you could as likely get a heart as you would a chest/key. It doesn't affect what rarity and amount of chests you get in a stage.

I agree that coolness should be displayed though.