Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Novum posted:

Somebody mentioned balancing high end casters with exhaustion levels a while back. Was that a fully fleshed out homebrew or just an idea in the moment?

Just spur of the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Novum posted:

Somebody mentioned balancing high end casters with exhaustion levels a while back. Was that a fully fleshed out homebrew or just an idea in the moment?
I thought it was a sarcastic commentary on how awful the frenzy barbarian is :v: You'd end up with your prepared spell list being a pool of possible spells from which you can cast 9 or 10 per day, in which case you'd be running a a 3.x sorcerer with extra book keeping. It's not a bad idea to use as a starting point, but it doesn't really address any of the underlying Wizard problems.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
I recently have sort of come to the realization/understanding that in 5e, your 'mental' stats are sorta mechanically useless, if you aren't a spellcaster.

It seems pretty obvious on its face, but this is yet another area where 4e made a concerted effort to improve things, and 5e just walks it back. Like, you look at the secondary and tertiary stats from martial(ish) classes in 4e, and they largely made sure that INT/WIS/CHA were always in the mix there somewhere.

In 5e, if you're looking at Fighter/Rogue/Barbarian, it's basically just: STR for heavy weapons/heavy armor, DEX for AC/init, CON for HP. Boom, done. Rogues can dump STR in favour "being even slightly more better than everyone else, at 1 set of skills."

Walking back 4e's method of determining defenses (AC in particular) and making it so weapons can only ever use STR or DEX (outside of the Shillelagh spell) is also a decision founded on tradition and/or tummyfeels that straight up just makes classes less interesting.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Clearly they need to bring back needing 13 WIS and/or 13 INT to access certain combat feats :v:

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Naw, they just need to make it like Combat Superiority or w/e, where a Fighter adds their WIS mod to Opportunity Attacks, or a Ranger can shift WIS mod # of spaces whenever xyz happens.

If you don't cast spells, the 'spellcasting abilities' are just there for skills, they don't really do anything in-combat.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Skills should all be lumped into physical ability scores, spellcasting stats should exist purely for spellcasting and nothing else.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Stats should be

Killin' Dudes, Castin' Spells, Doin' Stuff, Knowin' Things, Botherin' Gods

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Elfgames posted:

Stats should be

Killin' Dudes, Castin' Spells, Doin' Stealin' Stuff, Knowin' Things, Botherin' Gods

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
edit
Doin' stuff gives the less eloquent among us the ability to be good at talky poo poo without adding another stat.

also stealing is the whole purpose of the game so making it a stat is kinda silly.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Elfgames posted:

Doin' stuff already covers stealing things but also gives the less eloquent among us the ability to be good at talky poo poo without adding another stat.

Stealin' hearts, stealin' votes, stealin' confidence...it checks out.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/4e82cc/sword_of_sharpness_story/

Sword of Sharpness story posted:

In our session last night my character was able to get his hands on a Longsword of Sharpness.
We opened up the DMG and read about how if you roll a 20 you can do extra damage, and if you roll another 20 you take a limb off of your target.
While the prospect of de-limbing was pretty entertaining we were discussing how rare it would be to roll two 20s in a row. .25% chance of it ever happening.
We continued on our journey and our next encounter was against a Night Hag. I drew my new sword, rolled... 20!!
We cheered around the table and then rolled again to see if I could take a limb... ANOTHER 20!!!
High fives for everyone and we were all cheering around the table as my character chopped the night hags arm off the first time ever swinging the sword.
I've never felt like THIS big of a nerd. So awesome.

D&D is so boring that this is the most exciting thing that happens in it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It's also not something that the player is ever in control of.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Boing posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/4e82cc/sword_of_sharpness_story/

D&D is so boring that this is the most exciting thing that happens in it.

Clearly, they need to try using orokos.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Death to ability scores.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

goatface posted:

Death to ability scores.

Or death to everything but ability scores.

Things need to die is the main takeaway here.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
lol...

Trapdoor Tech ‏@trapdoortech 13m13 minutes ago
Excited to announce our partnership with @paizo to create @Playbook__ for #pathfinder ! http://bit.ly/1SbR1cS

https://twitter.com/trapdoortech/status/719592794017255424

Background for the newer folks: this same company already had a license with WOTC way back when 5e was brand new, and they got dropped after a terrible beta. It looked just like that back then.

ritorix fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 11, 2016

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
I think I remember those guys. They had the character sheet with the ability score box that didn't show all the ability scores at once, right?

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

Red Metal posted:

I think I remember those guys. They had the character sheet with the ability score box that didn't show all the ability scores at once, right?

Yes, nothing fit in any convenient area, it didn't actually do any math for you, you could add an arbitrary number of hitpoints to your total, but could only remove them one at a time by pressing a button over and over. It was worse than just making a tablet character sheet with nothing but text fields, because it looked like it did the work for you, but it actually didn't do any of it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Also isn't the reason WotC dropped them because they couldn't stay on task? WotC wanted them to create a digital character builder while Trapdoor decided that what they really needed was some extensive suite of unasked for digital tools that they then tried to ask for some ludicrous amount of money for? It was a weird situation all around.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Red Metal posted:

Kai Tave posted:

Also isn't the reason WotC dropped them because they couldn't stay on task? WotC wanted them to create a digital character builder while Trapdoor decided that what they really needed was some extensive suite of unasked for digital tools that they then tried to ask for some ludicrous amount of money for? It was a weird situation all around.

Pretty much all of the above. IIRC they also went to Kickstarter in the interim with a goal amount of like 500 grand and charging $20 a pop to use a tool which should be a free add-on to the game in the first place.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Yeah and I dont think they gave up the dream. From that press release - "Playbook will allow players to roll up and manage characters, while Game Masters can purchase and prep adventures and campaigns"

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

ritorix posted:

Yeah and I dont think they gave up the dream. From that press release - "Playbook will allow players to roll up and manage characters, while Game Masters can purchase and prep adventures and campaigns"

So basically they want to be a tablet version of Fantasy Grounds, but probably shittier?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Greg Leeds has resigned as President of Wizards of the Coast, and will be replaced by Chris Cocks

Talk about a cock-up!

...that's all I got.

e: his face is too small

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

So he's Haley Joel Osment?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
His head/face ratio looks like something spat out by the FATAL character generator.

LFK
Jan 5, 2013
Great memories of DungeonScape

AlphaDog posted:

Dungeonscape trip report: It was a lot of pages of clicking to generate a lot of pages of stuff which I guess you could use to play D&D if you were a masochist.

Part the first: Getting to the character sheet screen

1: Where to click on the blank screen I'm shown after logon is slightly unclear. Is it the cog icon? Is it "character" down the bottom? Nope, it's "Choose a character" at the top, which doesn't look like a button, but a heading.

2: Race select screen lists size and speed, but not stat bonuses.

3: Class select screen is about what you'd expect, a pic of a dude and the blurb from the start ofthe class description.

4: "Roll ability scores" is the default screen. "Buy ability scores" is secondary. I mean OF COURSE you're not going to just click "roll" until you get a good set. The text box on the bottom left of the ability score screen DOES contain the racial ability score increase, and this is NOT reflected in the scores it shows me at the top of the screen, although the box does explicitly tell me this is the case in text that runs out of the bottom of the box.

5: Background has titles and descriptions, no mention of mechanics or indeed description of what I'm actually getting by selecting it.

6: Personality characteristics screen: It's possible to scroll off the top of the screen leaving the list blank. "Ideals" does contain the mechanical effect (ie, alignment).

7: Starting wealth/equipment screen. I get to see what gear I got from what I've selected 2 major screens ago with Backgrounds. Otherwise it seems fine. Or else I can "choose starting wealth", but it's not clear that it's an either/or proposition. Clicking "next" here gives me a "Choose one: Martial melee weapons" popup with no stats or information about any of the weapons.

8: Now I'm asked to describe my character... I can roll for height and weight and choose my alignment from a dropdown box. You can enter literally anything in the other boxes, even the one for age. The alignment dropdown appears to be an empty black box, but moving the cursor over it lights up the alignments line by line.

9: It's not clear what's going on on this screen. One the left side I'm asked to tick a box for Proficiency: <Smith's Tools, Brewer's Supplies, Mason's Tools> and the right side describes those tools and what a proficiency is. The tools come with a GP value and weight, but it's unclear if I'm getting them now or if I'll have to buy them later.

10: Now I can choose a fighting style with absolutely zero indication of what that is or does. It's literally just a list of fighting styles on the screen. There's a space to the right that's big and blank, as if there should be text there. There is no text there.

11: This screen looks the same but lists Skills instead of Fighting Styles. The big area on the right DOES have skill descriptions. However, I clicked "Next" on the previous screen without really looking at what I'd chosen and now the "Previous" button isn't doing anything, so I'm not sure what kind of fighter I am and I have no way to check.

12: Finally, a character sheet. Wait, this doesn't have much of the info I just entered... how do I page though it? I can either click the tiny tiny dots under the centre column or I can move my mouse or the side of the reddish area and an arrow appears. Groovy. I'll now go through this page by page.

Part the Second: The six page layout clusterfuck Character Sheet

Page 1:

On the left, an illustration. It's OK, I guess. I'm not sure if I can upload my own or if I'm stuck with these. Briefly clicking around makes it seem like these are it.

In the middle, my stats, level, and xp. Clicking on each stats brings up base and final values, although I'm not sure what that is. Clicking on my Con shows that there's a "user adjustment" of +4 although I'm now not sure where that came from.

On the right, all the things I chose in part 8. I wrote "Eleventy One" in the "age" box, and it's parsed that to "0", so that's nice. Clicking on any of these things brings up a SUPER HELPFUL popup in the middle of the screen that says, for instance, "HAIR, The character's hair color. Cancel/Accept". I now realise that's what happens if I click on the word "hair", but if I click on what I wrote for that answer, there's a popup where I can change it.

Page 2:

On the left, Attacks and Proficiencies. The Attacks part seems fine. It's got he weapon name and then the to hit adjustment and the damage. Clicking on the weapon name brings up detailed info. including where the numbers come from. Clicking on the numbers themselves does nothing. I appear to have gained proficiency in all three trade tools, although I only selected Mason.

In the middle, confusingly labelled "attributes", are my AC, speed, initiative, HP, etc. TO adjust my CURRENT HP, I'd have to click it to open a popup, enter the numer of damage/healing I've just taken in a box, click the +/- thing until correct, then hit Accept. It's clunky and would be super annoying during play.

On the right, Saving Throws. Clicking on them lets me adjust them, but I'm not sure why.

Page 3:

On the left, Skills. These default to showing "All". There's a dropdown box so I can change that to "proficient", but the box is blacked out again like the Alignment one was. I can still use it, but eh.

In the middle, Class Features. I chose Fighter. It shows I have a Second Wind and that my Fighting Style was Archery, which I'd forgotten about not remembering. I can't change it from here, but a helpful popup tells me what it does and that the +1 is "already included in calculations". It doesn't say WHICH calculations, although I guess it's pretty obvious.

On the right, Racial traits. Helpful popups to describe them, but text from all of those would fit in the vast amount of blank space that is the red background of the character sheet (which takes up maybe a quarter of my screen... seriously, there's a lot of blank space here).

Page 4:

Spells. Slots on the left (I have none), a blank heading "spellcasting" in the middle, a list of ALL SPELLS (not actuall all spells) on the right. I guess this page does something if you did not CHOOSE POORLY way back on the class screen.

Page 5:

Equipment! All my gear on the left. Turns out I didn't get ANY tools. I got pitons though. Sweet.

In the middle, a blank 3-slot list of attuned magic items. Clicking "Attune" does nothing. Clicking "add" eventually brings up a list of magic items, with a "view cart" button at the bottom. There is no mention of what this stuff actually DOES, but since most of it is "Longsword +1" it probably doesn't matter much.

On the right, treasure. To adjust the number of coins you have, again you need to click the value, enter the new value into the popup, then click accept. Clunky but consistent with the other clunky stuff.

Page 6:

Background on the left. The poo poo I chose from the lists doesn't even fit in the boxes. There's a checkbox here for Inspiration.

The rest of the page is blank, with a section to enter "Notes". I mean COME THE gently caress ON, the poo poo I picked FROM THE LISTS of personality traits doesn't fit in the goddamn box on the left and the WHOLE REST OF THE SCREEN might as well read "this space intentionally left blank".

Conclusion

Using this in a game would be a goddamn nightmare and I'm not even surprised.

e: I could wait and see what the final version is like, but reading the feedback lists and developer responses gives me absolutely no hope that this will ever be presented in a sane usable format. I mean six loving pages, each of which uses about a third of the available real estate on the screen at 1920x1200. You could condense this to two loving pages with a little bit of effort, especially since you're happy cutting off text in boxes when there's still plenty of loving room available. Maybe it's designed for 800x600, but why?

LFK posted:

Designed for mobile first!

I leveled up my Bard.

It forces you to roll HP every level, so gently caress you if you're using fixed HP per level. Actually, this isn't quite true. You need to roll first, then you can enter a fixed value, otherwise Next stays greyed out. You can enter any value you want, so now I have thousands of HP. This is fine, all told, though the normal interface for adjusting your total is... well, [you have to click and up/down arrow one by one]http://i.imgur.com/Qst027y.png[/IMG] so if you, say, accidentally gave yourself thousands of hit points it would actually be easier to rebuild your character.

The Bard College selection gives me the fluffy description of each college, but no mechanical overview.

The Bard bonus skills feature comes up with a list of all the skills, with no indication of which ones I'd already selected. I'm assuming if I select Deception again it'll just accept it as is, and I'll never be able to change it.

Dungeonscape don't give a gently caress about stat limits. At level 4 it let me boost my Charisma to 25. Which is odd, since I should only have a Charisma of 19 from my rolled 17 and Tiefling bonus.

On my spell list there's no way to change a spell to "Prepared."

At the moment this isn't really a character builder, too much is broken or doesn't work right. It's nice that it'll often let you enter an arbitrary value, but it's odd that it only allows that in some places but not others. If I can add anything to my HP when I level up, why can't I just change my HP at any given time by typing it in? Right now it's a side grade to a digital character sheet, and in a lot of ways would be an improvement if it simply were a digital character sheet, if so much relies on the player looking crap up in the PHB anyway.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

I fear Wizards has been infiltrated by the mob.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Kaysette posted:

e: his face is too small

This dude is like a face swap photoshop in human form.

Fake edit: His forehead is loving gigantic.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That really looks like a faceswap.

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's also not something that the player is ever in control of.

Yeah, it's something I my never understand. Yeah, that was a cool thing, but it was total utter random chance and you had no hand in its conception or execution. Vorpal swords etc. bore the hell out of me, because you can't use them mechanically for cool plans or clever combos. It's just a thing that sometimes happens when "I attack" when you attack often enough.

For contrast, one of my single favorite memorable badass combat moments in a game I played was when our characters learned that our werewolf foes were weak to citrus (they were pirate themed werewolves). One popped his head through a door to here's Johnny us, and I immediately pegged him with a jar of citrus water I'd had written on my character sheet the entire game that everyone but me had forgotten about. I felt like a badass for remembering I had it, and was rewarded for bothering to keep a detailed inventory.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

CaPensiPraxis posted:

Yeah, it's something I my never understand. Yeah, that was a cool thing, but it was total utter random chance and you had no hand in its conception or execution. Vorpal swords etc. bore the hell out of me, because you can't use them mechanically for cool plans or clever combos. It's just a thing that sometimes happens when "I attack" when you attack often enough.

For contrast, one of my single favorite memorable badass combat moments in a game I played was when our characters learned that our werewolf foes were weak to citrus (they were pirate themed werewolves). One popped his head through a door to here's Johnny us, and I immediately pegged him with a jar of citrus water I'd had written on my character sheet the entire game that everyone but me had forgotten about. I felt like a badass for remembering I had it, and was rewarded for bothering to keep a detailed inventory.

gently caress even a sword that emits a sub-zero chill (for +1 cold damage) has more use than a Vorpal sword, freeze water, put out fires, etc.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

People will say that system and mechanics don't matter, that they barely use them, and that they ROLEplay not ROLLplay out of one side of their mouth, and then hoot and holler about the time they rolled a 20 at a crucial moment out of the other.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Mendrian posted:

gently caress even a sword that emits a sub-zero chill (for +1 cold damage) has more use than a Vorpal sword, freeze water, put out fires, etc.

I dunno, a sword that snicker-snacks straight through anything with minimal effort sounds AMAZINGLY useful.

But, like, for felling trees and building houses (or demolitions) not for killing people, because a regular sword will do that fine.

Mendrian posted:

THis is what I've been saying since day 0 - magical items should have interesting non-combat abilities. The frost sword should be able to chill water, and at higher levels, freeze it solid in larger and larger volumes. You should be able to make an ice bridge across a river by sticking your sword in it, say.

Without needing to mother-may-I it.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I think DnD needs to be unafraid to give items vague declarative powers. Wish is a convenient scapegoat but nobody really plays spellcasters with access to 9th level spells. The problem with spellcasters is their utility/power in aggregate; they have massive potential to sidestep the combat system that martials are shackled to. But even then, spellcasters have very specific methods of doing this, with precise ranges, volumes, and effects.

"This sword can freeze fresh water solid up to the volume of a lake, according to the wielders specifications and requirements" has amazing utility if you just leave the specificity at that. It might even be an interesting distinction between rare magic items and actual spells; spells are specific, items are vague.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I keep seeing people recommend dungeon world as an alternative. I read a thing on it and is the combat as poo poo as it sounds? "Everyone goes whenever they want! Do two things in a row! Whatever!"
Isn't that too loosy goosy in play?

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I keep seeing people recommend dungeon world as an alternative. I read a thing on it and is the combat as poo poo as it sounds? "Everyone goes whenever they want! Do two things in a row! Whatever!"

Nah, that's why you have a GM handling the pacing. The basic idea is to be like an action movie, cutting from one interesting scene to the next, following the drama instead of a round-robin initiative. Between that and the 'fail-forward' concept you get really dynamic combats that snowball in intensity as rolls are failed and people are left in desperate situations, usually culminating in something awesome from a player.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

thespaceinvader posted:

I dunno, a sword that snicker-snacks straight through anything with minimal effort sounds AMAZINGLY useful.
... if you roll multiple consecutive 20s.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Harvey Mantaco posted:

To be honest if you don't like the idea of loosy goosy "when the hell is it my turn?" combat, Strike might be a better alternative.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Scyther posted:

To be honest if you don't like the idea of loosy goosy "when the hell is it my turn?" combat, Strike might be a better alternative.

Yeah. I don't want to go too off the topic of the thread but for a bunch of goons that seems to loathe "GM May I" so much I can't believe this Dungeon World game is so liked.
I'm honestly not trying to be lovely when I say that, it's just really confusing.

Edit: I'm getting a bunch of players who haven't played before. I might actually take DW and hammer some more of the structured D&D stuff onto it that I like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Yeah. I don't want to go too off the topic of the thread but for a bunch of goons that seems to loathe "GM May I" so much I can't believe this Dungeon World game is so liked.
I'm honestly not trying to be lovely when I say that, it's just really confusing.

That's because *World games aren't actually "the GM just makes up whatever and does whatever," they're actually very structured games with explicit guidelines for what the GM is allowed to do and when. Superficially they come across as very "Everything's made up and the rules don't matter!" but they actually matter quite a bit. They also aren't really mother-may-I in the sense that the GM's responsibility is to provide the players with clear fictional context to springboard off of. If a player says they want to break a door down and the GM hasn't made it clear that there's some reason why they shouldn't be able to (it's magically sealed, made of special fantasy metal, whatever) or potential consequences of doing so (there are watchmen on patrol nearby) then the assumption is that you don't even really need to roll to see if your adventurer can break down an ordinary door, it just happens and you move on.