Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I like infinite scroll in google image search.

e: [Show more results], when did this happen!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

UIApplication posted:

Infinite scroll is the worst loving thing to happen to the web. Someone please put forth a devil's advocate reason for it to exist.

If its content that's actually entertaining to read like The Onion, it's nice to just keep flipping through articles and it sort of emulates their books full of collected articles, which I always enjoyed.

Last Chance has a new favorite as of 15:45 on Apr 11, 2016

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Germstore posted:

I like infinite scroll in google image search.

This is like the one and only use case where infinite scroll is good.

It's viable for unfocused, unstructured searching. Like if you have a list of images or videos that go on forever, and hardly any of them interest you, but you want to just sort of keep buzzing along until something catches your eye. Or for scrolling back through a chat log. For that situation infinite scroll is nice.

What you do not use it for is any kind of design where you need to browse a known quantity of data using specific criteria and be able to reliably find it again in the same place. A company I worked with recently had a homegrown system which was a big paginated table of data. Normal stuff, right? Sure, if (as has been done for decades) they had just put a little pager widget on it, like right up there in these here forums, and let you move back and forth through the pages until you found the line of data you wanted. You could tell someone "Yeah, it's on page 6" or "Here's a permalink".

Not so with these guys. They used infinite scroll. So you'd load up the table in a single-page Angular app, it would show you like 20 lines, and then you'd scroll down to pull more data. In a tabular display! You'd keep on scrolling and loading and scrolling and loading until you found your thing. Imagine telling someone else how to find something. "Yeah, load up the page, then scroll down for six more-inline-data-loads and then it should be there". And that's only if the data set hasn't changed.

loving ... Little annoys me more than people who almost understand a design concept and then rush to apply it in places where it is badly unsuited.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Where can I download a complete snapshot of 1999 era internet and then host that on a.......server?? And then browse in it with netscape in win95

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

goon nerds posted:

AOL stuff

God drat am I glad I never had to experience that. Didn't MSN try to mimic the service but for :airquote:real internet:airquote: instead? I vaguely recall going to "fix" my cousin's computer one day and when I dialed-up it opened some sort of client hub, but chock full of MSN-ness, like everything being sky blue colored and that butterfly topping every page.

I say "fix" in quotation marks like that as I was designated Family Tech Support because I was the only person capable of sitting in front of a computer and using it for extended periods without it breaking. In reality had no idea what I was doing

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
did you say MSN?

https://youtu.be/zaVp76rtFcM?t=50s

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mak0rz posted:

I say "fix" in quotation marks like that as I was designated Family Tech Support because I was the only person capable of sitting in front of a computer and using it for extended periods without it breaking. In reality had no idea what I was doing

no tech support person knows what they are doing. its just the ability to type computer problems into a google search box, and follow instructions

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

UIApplication posted:

Infinite scroll is the worst loving thing to happen to the web. Someone please put forth a devil's advocate reason for it to exist.

it scored single-digit percentage points higher in some project manager's success criteria in an A/B or multi-variant test

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
This thread has taken a turn for the amazing, the AOL stuff is great. :allears:

Managed to avoid AOL, I stuck around local BBSs [getting a call to my parents at one point because instead of opting to pay monthly, I registered dozens of fake accounts to get around the 20 minute limit per day or week or whatever it was] then eventually went to a local ISP. Trumpet Winsock, now that brings back memories.

I still remember trying to understand how the "world wide web" was different from "the internet". Truly more innocent times.

I also remember when I got a 4 port 10mb ethernet hub given to me by a friend, and thought I was amazing for networking my PC to my mom's. I think maybe I got a network game of Doom running on it, and I think I figured out how to share the dialup connection [this was probably the win98 era], but that was about it.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Someone at one of my art schools made a fish sculpture by smashing AOL CDs and using the shards as scales, looked pretty cool

I still lived out in the boonies so we still had dial-up for waaaaay longer than most, and it sucked. Even our lovely college ethernet was impressive to me by comparison.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Rutibex posted:

no tech support person knows what they are doing. its just the ability to type computer problems into a google search box, and follow instructions

being able to reliably search for technical information is somewhat of a skill it's not like my mom can fix her own problems just because you CAN find the answer on google if you know what to look for. crafting google queries is an art my friend

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Rutibex posted:

thathonkey posted:

being able to reliably search for technical information is somewhat of a skill it's not like my mom can fix her own problems just because you CAN find the answer on google if you know what to look for. crafting google queries is an art my friend

Yeah and I'm much better at it now than I was back then when I was like 14. Likewise, Google is much better at finding relevant answers now than it was then.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
So my Google/AOL analogy turned out to be pretty lovely. Fair enough. As I said I'm too young to have had to deal with anything like that.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
it's absurd how good google is. before, you better have a really good idea of what your search terms were or you'd be hosed. now i can type "jim carrey movie where he is green" and the mask is the first result, somehow. it's honestly magic

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Concerned Citizen posted:

it's absurd how good google is. before, you better have a really good idea of what your search terms were or you'd be hosed. now i can type "jim carrey movie where he is green" and the mask is the first result, somehow. it's honestly magic

But there are actually two movies starring Jim Carrey where he is green. Google still needs a bit of work imo.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Data Graham posted:

AOL and the Internet

This is good stuff, but no discussion of AOL and the Internet would be complete without mentioning The September That Never Ended.

In the early 1990s, the majority of people on the Internet (which at the time was mostly dominated by Usenet discussion groups) were there through colleges and universities. The Internet was largely by and for academia. And every September, a whole class of new students would arrive at college and be given access to this Internet thingy through the school computer labs. These people would inevitably make asses of themselves for a few weeks until they learned the social norms of netiquette and how to be a good netizen (remember those words?) and then things would generally calm down and get back to normal.

But then in September 1993, AOL opened their floodgates and added all the Usenet groups to their list of AOL discussion groups. They didn't make it clear what they'd done, what the Internet was, or that all these new places were not actually part of AOL. And so huge numbers of AOL users descended upon the unsuspecting Internet, still thinking they were within Steve Case's walled garden. They never did learn how to behave, and AOL got its reputation as the home of utter morons who would come barging into a discussion, posting things like "that's against AOL rules, I'm going to report you" or the infamously-useless "me too". The influx of clueless idiots stopped being an annual event in September, and became a permanent phenomenon. The Internet was forever changed.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Why isn't there a HTML standard for a default "next page" action that browsers can use? Then you could use the back/forward buttons on your mouse or keyboard shortcuts without having to hunt for the link to the next page, instead of disabling the forward button when you're at the the most recent page in your history.

Most sites with infinite scrolling spam your browser history with rendering the back button useless, that poo poo needs to stop.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Mak0rz posted:

But there are actually two movies starring Jim Carrey where he is green. Google still needs a bit of work imo.

how the grinch stole christmas is actually the second result!

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

I put in "The movie with jim carrey where he is red" and the first result is The Majestic. Honestly it took me a second to get.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Google is fascinating some times

The movie with jim carrey where he is black = Me, Myself & Irene
The movie with jim carrey where he is yellow = Earth Girls Are Easy
The movie with jim carrey where he is blue = Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
The movie with jim carrey where he is orange = Ace Ventura: Pet Detective
The movie with jim carrey where he is pink = Pink Cadillac

kilogram
Mar 29, 2012

Cyborg Senator
A couple of months ago my friend told me about a PS1 game he used to play 20 years ago, but he could only remember that you played as a caveman with black hair. So I googled "ps1 game caveman black hair" and the right thing came back as the first result. And his hair wasn't even black, it was purple.

How the gently caress did people live pre-google

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

thathonkey posted:

as somebody who has been working actively in the web development community for over a decade now i've got to say the state of things right now is bad. very bad. i still try to write for performance first and foremost but the incentive is just not there anymore for most people. there was a brief time when mobiles were starting to have internet access that it became priority again to been efficient with bandwidth and requests but that is quickly fading as 3G then 4G/LTE became ubiquitous in the US. i dont have time to write a long post about it now nor is this the thread for it... somebody should start a new topic to discuss all of these stupid modern web/web app trends.

ITT We are modern web designers.

Make it, I'll post in it. Probably something about Twitter Bootstrap to kick it off.

Police Automaton posted:

What I hate most about the current internet though is how bad the signal to noise ratio feels. Back then you had to dig sometimes because the search machines weren't as efficient, today you do because so much stuff is just so irrelevant or doesn't relay much information at all. Somebody learns how to cook soup out of a can without scolding themselves horribly and they'll register thesoupchef.com and create SupperChannel on youtube with 50 40 minute videos where they drone on and on nasally and which have no information content at all for anyone who ever cooked a can of soup. You want to find an interesting recipe for soup with all-fresh ingredients and you have to dig through pages of crap like that. If you get what I mean.

And you finally find a recipe that sounds like it might be ok, but after countrycookingmom.com finishes loading all the ads and you've closed the SUBSCRIBE! thing that popped up, you get to scroll past a 500-word essay about how much her kids love this soup and her DH (Dear Husband) enjoys it after a hard day at the semen mines, and how she tweaked the original recipe by halving the pepper (too spicy!), blah blah blah. Then you finally get to the recipe and it's just a poorly-transcribed basic recipe out of the book you should have consulted in the first place:

(seriously this book has been around since the 1930s, just buy the loving thing, every recipe in there has been tested millions of times by the millions of American mothers who own this book. Your grandmother probably had one)

Edit: Also I propose the thread title "Computer Relics - AOL Lives! [56k no!]"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's funny to think that if you tried to load all those AOL screenshots over a dialup AOL connection it would take you many minutes.

DOWNLOADING ARTWORK ...

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

kilogram posted:

A couple of months ago my friend told me about a PS1 game he used to play 20 years ago, but he could only remember that you played as a caveman with black hair. So I googled "ps1 game caveman black hair" and the right thing came back as the first result. And his hair wasn't even black, it was purple.

I remember using hotbot and Web crawler and lycos and all those search engines before Google. You really didn't even find much by searching. You'd click on categories. So like Art and Entertainment > Actors > Carey, Jim. And then you'd just get a list of Jim Carey fan sites. I think the first one you could ask questions to was askjeeves in like 1998.

Data Graham posted:

It's funny to think that if you tried to load all those AOL screenshots over a dialup AOL connection it would take you many minutes.

DOWNLOADING ARTWORK ...

Believe it or not there is quite a bit of loading and waiting for images to get clear browsing the AOL keywords even over my FiOS.

Chumbawumba4ever97 has a new favorite as of 18:59 on Apr 11, 2016

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

kilogram posted:

Tomba! is a classic

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Pham Nuwen posted:

ITT We are modern web designers.

Make it, I'll post in it. Probably something about Twitter Bootstrap to kick it off.

And you finally find a recipe that sounds like it might be ok, but after countrycookingmom.com finishes loading all the ads and you've closed the SUBSCRIBE! thing that popped up, you get to scroll past a 500-word essay about how much her kids love this soup and her DH (Dear Husband) enjoys it after a hard day at the semen mines, and how she tweaked the original recipe by halving the pepper (too spicy!), blah blah blah. Then you finally get to the recipe and it's just a poorly-transcribed basic recipe out of the book you should have consulted in the first place:

(seriously this book has been around since the 1930s, just buy the loving thing, every recipe in there has been tested millions of times by the millions of American mothers who own this book. Your grandmother probably had one)

Edit: Also I propose the thread title "Computer Relics - AOL Lives! [56k no!]"

I love that every online recipe has at least one review by someone who "halved the salt" and reviewed it poorly because it was bland.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I've been working in Search Engine Optimization since 2007; you're all welcome

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Is SEO not merely the science of reducing the effectiveness of Google's discovery algorithms by polluting their data set

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

no, it is the science of giving google what they want, if you intend to do it for real

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Remember when SEO was putting the text "big titty women" in background colored text at the bottom.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Germstore posted:

I love that every online recipe has at least one review by someone who "halved the salt" and reviewed it poorly because it was bland.

It's not internet related but we had to make some sort of food in 8th grade science class and everyone brought one of the ingredients in. One kid in my group said he didn't like peanut butter so he refused to let us use it. Not that he was allergic, he just wasn't a big fan of it. Turns out peanut butter was needed to hold everything together and ours turned out really lovely. Then he complains that ours didn't come out right.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Germstore posted:

Remember when SEO was putting the text "big titty women" in background colored text at the bottom.

I remember when i could buy a link to officechairs.com from chairs.com for $200 and boost business 3,000%

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Buttcoin purse posted:

I guess not only do I post here, but I also sometimes want to do things the obsolete way just for fun, so that's probably just as bad as people who think everything should be done the new way.

The funny thing about that really is that the new way is not rarely the old way, but more complicated and often involving the internet and any number of 3rd party services when it really doesn't need to.

When I still was involved with IT I often had that discussion about my usage for emacs for just about anything with other IT people. Their argumentation against it always boiled down to "because it's old" which in itself, is just not an argument at all. There are in fact many good arguments against emacs, but they never bought them up because they never really bothered learning the first thing about the software besides what they read other people saying about it. It really is kind of a pity. Live and let live I say, whatever works for you best. Keep an open mind.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Of course that was only an example, but this reminds me of visiting some internet-connected BBSes not too long ago and of course finding most of them completly dead, (which really is kind of a pity but they don't really have anything to offer these days, do they) except one where two people were very vigorously exchanging recipes and nothing else. I've chosen to believe that that was actually two spies talking about current world events.

Also I hear Ads coming up often in this thread. Are really so many of you using an internet browser without any form of ad blocking? I couldn't even imagine using websites like that anymore. Every time I have to touch a computer which doesn't have an adblocker I recoil in horror at how terrible everything is. Can't even really remember the last time I've seen an ad.

--

I've actually reduced my Google usage a lot and closed my google accounts which I used mostly for email and had since they started having that service. Their data mining just did not sit well with me anymore. I've actually switched to a paid provider which "claims" (who knows?) to respect the privacy of their customers and is also very transparent about requests from law enforcement (this is in germany) regarding access to data of their customers. The most funny thing about this is for me how most of the requests they get are technically invalid/not really legally justified and get rejected by them as a result. It's 12 bucks a year and worth it, IMHO. They also offer encrypted storage and lots of other little extras. Not that I really expect this to change anything or make me super anonymous or something, but it's the principle of the thing. I'd be willing to pay for a lot of other internet services for QoL improvements and respect for my privacy. Too bad that rarely is even an option.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Ah yes, back when google was based on the text used to link to other sites. Back when you could get enough people to link a search term to a certain page as a joke.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Ah yes, back when google was based on the text used to link to other sites. Back when you could get enough people to link a search term to a certain page as a joke.

it's still very very heavily based on backlinks

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Googlebombing"

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Germstore posted:

I wish I could find it, but about a few years ago Yahoo had a Pecan Pie recipe in it as a headline article around the holidays.

Just post after post in the comment of what a piece of poo poo Pecan Pie this was, not a true pecan pie, how dare they have (ingredient) in this pie, how their mom's recipe was the best in the loving world and this was a crime, F'n Liberals and their pies, etc.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Germstore posted:

Halved the salt, replaced the sour cream with cream cheese because I don't have sour cream, replaced the rice with ramen noodles, left out the beans because I hate beans, etc.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Didn't have any vanilla, so I used Brut for Men

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

"OMG This was suuuuuuch a great recipe after I added three other seasonings, substituted two ingredients and used a different protein. SO GOOD FIVE STARS"- every comment on every recipe on every food website ever