Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/DELTAHEAD_/status/719375852958564352

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
^^^ I see Josuke 1's experience with the Wall Eyes didn't result in as elegant a merger as his namesake's.

I have a possibly dumb question about Enya to someone a bit better acquainted with Japanese culture and folklore than I am. Is she sort of based on some well-known trope or stock character from Japanese folk stories, popular culture, etc? I ask because I've noticed other Japanese media use the idea of "old witch character as confidante/mentor and second-in-command to younger male antagonist" in a way similar to what JoJo does with Enya in Part 3 (the Twinrova witches in Zelda games come to mind immediately, but I'm sure there are other examples), but I don't think it's as much of a thing in Western pop culture. Is this just a coincidence, or is she maybe a reference to something I'm unaware of?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Just struck me as a vanilla old crone archetype more than anything. Evil, a little mysterious, knowledgeable and experienced due to her years.

It's plenty present enough in the West though, especially in fairy tales. I'd consider anything like the antagonists of Rapunzel, Snow White or The Little Mermaid to fall under the same archetype as Enya does though different thanks to cultural gaps.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
The old witch archetype is definitely a common one in the West as well, yes. Instead of regular old villainous witches, though, I guess I'm more interested in secondary characters with a sort of mother-son-type of relationship to a male main antagonist like Enya has with DIO, since it's that specific idea that (it seems to me) gets played with more in Japanese works than Western ones.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Forktoss posted:

The old witch archetype is definitely a common one in the West as well, yes. Instead of regular old villainous witches, though, I guess I'm more interested in secondary characters with a sort of mother-son-type of relationship to a male main antagonist like Enya has with DIO, since it's that specific idea that (it seems to me) gets played with more in Japanese works than Western ones.

Do you know of examples that predate SDC? It could be one of those tropes that JoJo invented.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Forktoss posted:

There are Western examples, like Grandmother Sengir from Magic: the Gathering.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Oh, that's interesting! Thank you, I'll look that up.

hoobajoo posted:

Do you know of examples that predate SDC? It could be one of those tropes that JoJo invented.

I can't think of any, no, so it's entirely possible you're right. I'd be interested to hear if anyone can think of any other similar examples (before or after SDC), though.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The closest example I got that could def be have inspired by Stardust Crusaders is Kammy Koopa from some of the Mario RPGs where she's basically a Mom Advisor to Bowser's dumb rear end the entire time, soothing his ego and anger while trying to guide him, but also not realizing he's not all that smart or good at this.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
I always did find it kind of interesting that Dio took her really seriously, and might have even gotten super into the Tarot and the occult because of her, even if he didn't really have any problems with offing her if he had to. How he interacts with other people depending on his interests at the time and how he segments them off into their own friend or acquaintance categories was always interesting to me.

And yeah, she does feel like the really Western archetype of "old hag or crone who is wise and helpful" but also blended with the Vizier or court wizard archetype. It's cementing the royal imagery that Dio has going for himself.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
I'm around chapter 40 something in SBR and I think I've seen like one stand, I mean like an actual proper stand with a form of its own and not just abilities, did Araki replace them? do people just have abilities now?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

El Hefe posted:

I'm around chapter 40 something in SBR and I think I've seen like one stand, I mean like an actual proper stand with a form of its own and not just abilities, did Araki replace them? do people just have abilities now?

Part 7 features a lot more ability stands instead of punchghosts. There's only a handful of actual punchghosts, but I dunno, I don't mind the lack of them that much. Part 8 goes back to punchghosts though if you're worried that punchghosts are gone for good.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

El Hefe posted:

The punch ghosting is sparse, but when it does turn up it is worth the wait

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
I do like the punchghosts because their designs are usually really cool.

Thinking about it there have been a few non-punchghost stands since way back because I don't remember Yukako having one back in part 4 for example.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Tusk Act IV, the culmination of Gyro's teachings and the ultimate expression of Super Spin! It's ... it's ...!

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

And one's just a giant padlock and such, yeah.

There are some incredibly cool Stands coming up for you in SBR and once it gets rolling it's going to be really hard to pace yourself; SBR is often the favorite/second favorite arc people name with good reason.

(it's actually my 3rd favorite sshhhh)

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Ugh I don't pay attention to JoJo for a few days and I miss the chance to clown on some dipshit obsessed with the idea that Stardust Crusaders is bad

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

And one's just a giant padlock and such, yeah.

There are some incredibly cool Stands coming up for you in SBR and once it gets rolling it's going to be really hard to pace yourself; SBR is often the favorite/second favorite arc people name with good reason.

(it's actually my 3rd favorite sshhhh)

It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World As Written By Araki was such a can't-miss concept. And it 100% lives up to that potential :allears:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2yEx7qJlE8

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
SBR is like getting invited to a party by an old friend and they don't tell you before hand it's going to be the sickest party you've ever seen

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

And then your old friend dies, their kid dies of a cold and you get crushed by a rock.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

And then your old friend dies, their kid dies of a cold and you get crushed by a rock.

Look if you feel good the next day that party wasn't sick, was it

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Even Part 3 had ability only stands in Khnumm and Tenor Sax.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Never been to a party in real life where someone wasn't killed by the prez.

hell yea

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Never been to a party in real life where someone wasn't killed by the prez.

hell yea

Speaking of D4C, can you loving imagine if another, hosed up Obama fell from the sky and told the other to grab the napkin then ours disappeared

Like during a press conference

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Speaking of D4C, can you loving imagine if another, hosed up Obama fell from the sky and told the other to grab the napkin then ours disappeared

Like during a press conference

Even just Obama slamming himself between a wall and a door and straightup disappearing would be loving impressive.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

I always wondered what Enya would have been like sans flesh bud. I mean, given her son's winning personality I wouldn't exactly expect much but still.

I'm one of the waiting-for-part8-to-finish losers, all I really know about it is that it is a gold mine of out-of-context panels.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

I want Obama's final speech as president to begin with "Dojyaaa~n"

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

hoobajoo posted:

And then Michelle absorbs the skeleton of Jesus

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Yinlock posted:

I always wondered what Enya would have been like sans flesh bud. I mean, given her son's winning personality I wouldn't exactly expect much but still.

I'm one of the waiting-for-part8-to-finish losers, all I really know about it is that it is a gold mine of out-of-context panels.

Her loyalty was sans flesh bud, Steely Dan only placed one in her at the start of his encounter as a means of killing her.

Her devotion to DIO was genuine and freely given.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

hoobajoo posted:

Or
Rasen Kaidan
Kabuto Mushi
Haikyou no machi
Ichijiku no Taruto
Kabuto Mushi
Dolorosa e no michi
Kabuto Mushi
Tokuiten
Giotto
Einjeru
Ajisai
Kabuto Mushi
Tokuiten
Himitsu no kotei

and then he just jumps into the window of the Oval Office and is never seen again as he floats off into space.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

multijoe posted:

Her loyalty was sans flesh bud, Steely Dan only placed one in her at the start of his encounter as a means of killing her.

Her devotion to DIO was genuine and freely given.

oh

what a mean old lady :(

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Or
Rasen Kaidan
Kabuto Mushi
Haikyou no machi
Ichijiku no Taruto
Kabuto Mushi
Dolorosa e no michi
Kabuto Mushi
Tokuiten
Giotto
Einjeru
Ajisai
Kabuto Mushi
Tokuiten
Himitsu no kotei

and then he just jumps into the window of the Oval Office and is never seen again as he floats off into space.

JJBA: Eyes of Lenin

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Tell him to go eat poo poo, Biden.

Tell him yourself.

Eat poo poo, rear end in a top hat! Fall off your horse!

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Instead of Love Train, it's D4C - Hope and Change.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

「Changes」 vs. 「The Wall」

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

"Senator McConnell...why are you on a horse?"

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
This video helpfully reminded me that Part 7 is loving literature and one of the greatest pieces of media ever made.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

El Hefe posted:

I think you see hints of Sandman's stand in like the first or second chapter, no?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Moltrey posted:

This video helpfully reminded me that Part 7 is loving literature and one of the greatest pieces of media ever made.

The final stage of the race is possibly the greatest segment in all of JoJo's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I don't know if I ever felt a moment as intense as clicking to the next page and seeing the last enemy of SBR in a huge double page spread.