Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
What an epic race, I'm just floored about how good that final was. Nothing's going to top this this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirtanium
Aug 3, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

Because of course this race would have another motobike crashing into riders on the ground.

https://twitter.com/r8uge/status/719200478475743232

This is stupid. Can't someone figure something clever with drones? Motos are a menace.

Still, an incredible race.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Dirtanium posted:

This is stupid. Can't someone figure something clever with drones? Motos are a menace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeviAWB0i4Y

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

This could be prevented by not allowing the drones to follow a path that could ever lead them into that of any cyclist. Unlike moto's, who are restricted to the path where they can run into anyone.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Drones are a pretty bad idea. They don't have the battery life to last an entire race. Not to mention it'd be very dangerous to share the sky with the helicopter unless they'd put a cap on altitude.
I don't think drones are crafty enough to fly through the narrow streets and forests you'd see without flying over the riders.

Is there any information on the fleet of motorized vehicles in a ride? How many are broadcast cameras, photographers, medical assistance follow cars?

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
Drones would only be an option to replace motos if they had fresh drones every 5km or whatever their range would be, but it wouldn't be too difficult to keep them separate from the helicopters and in limited contact with the riders. Combine that with on-board footage and you could then reduce the number of motos to like one in front of each major group without losing too much coverage.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Maybe the motos could just stop crashing into people. Just spitballing here

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Buglord
Someone should have thought of that 2 years ago, maybe write to the UCI because it might not have dawned on them yet tbh

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
I wasn't snarking at you, it's just that there's no reason that moto crash should have happened today. Viviani could have been killed from what I saw of his injuries.

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Buglord
I agree there. Most of them shouldn't happen if the motos are paying any attention to what's happening 20m in front of them. I bet the motos are on rim brakes.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

serious gaylord posted:

He'll retire next year now after trying again, but if he won this he'd probably have stopped tomorrow.

What are you basing this on?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

That was a good race but really crazy at the end, attacks popping off and failing like a cat 5 race. I dont think its as good as the year it was Vanmarcke, Fab, and Stybar just ripping up the cobbles a few years back.

Stannard wasted a lot of energy for nothing, spent too much time in the wind early on too, and putting in a huge attack right before a turn he had to freewheel through was funny. I think all of the runner ups will have serious regrets. Boonen should have went long in the velodrome probably. All credit to Hayman he did everything right and I can't believe he had that much left.

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!

Box Hill Strangler posted:

someone horrible is going to win tonight.

haha look at this fuckin idiot

Edit: Thatd be why there was no vision of the 'huge' crash eurosport were talking about in arenburg.... coz the camera bike was involved in it.

Box Hill Strangler fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Apr 11, 2016

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Skipped over the last 170 posts to avoid spoilers still and bitch.

Why the gently caress do people think I want to watch some lovely pirate tv stream in HD. It's a goddamn bike race, i don't want to tank my ratio with 16gb of poo poo I'm going to half pay attention to.

Still holding out for an SD reencode

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Lol if you've not organized your life around European bicycle races

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7grrMvscRk

carborexic
Nov 9, 2008

OGE Backstage Pass from P-R: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zxnA4asj44

carborexic fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 11, 2016

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
:3: I love it, OGE are great and it's brilliant that they capture this stuff

That run through the crowd to meet him after he crossed the line at 10:30 was just phenomenal

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

I wonder why he was in disbelief that he won, probably gakked out on his finish bottle

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
A movistar rider had his leg cut down to the bone by a disc brake in a pile up on Sunday.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ven...campaign=buffer

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Fuckin' told ya so.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's ok, it was probably so hot it cauterised the wound.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
:ohdear:

Paddyb posted:

Imagine being in a pileup like the Scheldeprijs recently. Now imagine everyone has strapped two deli meat slicer blades to their bike.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Would it be mean to empty quote the two posts that followed that?

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
No, I actually forgot they were using discs and had stopped worrying about it.

Nasty injury to get though.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

I didn't mean yours but the others saying what happened wouldn't.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Oh in that case definitely, but include Serious Gaylord's also :twisted:

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Buglord
That sucks for the rider but it's not exactly difficult to cut down to the tibia, it's basically just the skin. That said, discs with aero covers might not be a bad idea.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That video :3:

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Premature ejacula- posted:

That sucks for the rider but it's not exactly difficult to cut down to the tibia, it's basically just the skin. That said, discs with aero covers might not be a bad idea.
Oh that'd be fun for the echelons on crosswind days.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Premature ejacula- posted:

Seems like something easy to say until it happens to you.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Pocket posted:

Fuckin' told ya so.

Looks like I was right as well

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Does it say how they know it was caused by a disc brake?

I'm not fussed either way on the disc brakes argument just curious really

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Spanish journo apparently.

Probably not ever going to proven without pictures of a bloody disc embedded in his leg.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Disc brakes need to be banned once and for all, would be very tragic if one were to nick an artery and cause a cyclist to bleed out, which would maybe happen faster due to their raised heart rates? Not a doctor

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

goatface posted:

Probably not ever going to proven without pictures of a bloody disc embedded in his leg.

This is what I'd be worried about, every cut is going to get blamed on em to 'prove' a point

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

African AIDS cum posted:

Disc brakes need to be banned once and for all, would be very tragic if one were to nick an artery and cause a cyclist to bleed out, which would maybe happen faster due to their raised heart rates? Not a doctor

they should ban chainrings and gears and make everyone run belt drives too just to be safe

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Levitate posted:

they should ban chainrings and gears and make everyone run belt drives too just to be safe

Link to a pro cyclist being sliced up like a piece of ham by a chainring?

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

goatface posted:

Even as a biased individual I now recognize my argument is based on dry crumbly sand. Not a doctor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

African AIDS cum posted:

Link to a pro cyclist being sliced up like a piece of ham by a chainring?

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/this-is-why-we-dont-need-disc-brakes-208497

Though obviously it's also making the argument that disc brake shouldn't be allowed :v:

That was all said mostly tongue in cheek though.