Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
I've been playing the game on Xbox One due to the whole early release exploit, and for all the complaining I was hearing about console performance, I thought it actually ran pretty well... until I got close to the end game. It's gotten pretty chunky, sadly. Not sure if the PS4 version has similar issues, but it's become a real problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I've decided I am going to play this offline when I start, like I did with Bloodborne and DS2. I like being able to take it slow without people's specters causing me to jump out of my chair because I think there's a ghost attacking me every time I see one.

I also want to be able to enjoy a new blind play-through without being terrified of invaders.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

ppl still aren't agreed on that because DS2 went so far into obscure for obscurity's sake, but eh, I still liked it and I'm not gonna be the guy starting a DS2 argument on this most sacred of days.

Besides literally having Ornstein in DS2, a character from DS1, as well as tons of items with references in the text, there's kinda the fact that the lord souls from DS1 are there, which is huge. The only way you can ignore that is if you never got to NG+ in DS2.

Also "so obscure" in the souls series? :v: Par for the course. The story and setting are always obscure, nothing is explicit. But named great lord souls is pretty drat explicit, as much as any other part of the story or setting.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

thank u

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Skeleton King posted:

I've decided I am going to play this offline when I start, like I did with Bloodborne and DS2. I like being able to take it slow without people's specters causing me to jump out of my chair because I think there's a ghost attacking me every time I see one.

I also want to be able to enjoy a new blind play-through without being terrified of invaders.

But being terrified of invaders is such a key part of a new blind playthrough! And right now is probably the time to be least afraid of early-game invaders, because people haven't yet figured out the most efficient way to twink and create low-level destroyer invaders. (Plus, the new weapon level matchmaking helps avoid a situation where someone invades you at SL20 with a +10 god-weapon.)

I did see some people post ideas for "be a dick, but in a really funny way" invasion builds on Reddit, though, but if I was invaded by any of those I'd laugh more than anything.

Zaphod42 posted:

Besides literally having Ornstein in DS2, a character from DS1, as well as tons of items with references in the text, there's kinda the fact that the lord souls from DS1 are literally in DS2 named as they were. The only way you can ignore that is if you never got to NG+ in DS2, which explains a bit.

Also "so obscure" in the souls series? :v: Par for the course. The story and setting are always obscure, nothing is explicit. But named great lord souls is pretty drat explicit, as much as any other part of the story or setting.

At least before they were revised, a lot of the item descriptions were vague/obscure in a more pointed way than they were in the first Dark Souls. Like, Dark Souls leaves stuff out--Dark Souls 2 draws attention to the fact that it's leaving stuff out. I found that kind of fatiguing, myself.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Anyone know any good streamers/LPers that start today? Specifically blind. I'm planning to watch Lobos Jr. since he clowns on these games so often, is there more people skilled like that?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Invaders are scary but there's never going to be as much invasion and pvp activity in souls games as there is in a new release, and if From holds to their word and this is the last souls game, that means this is the last new souls release ever.

Embrace invasion. Its a big party :)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

HGH posted:

Anyone know any good streamers/LPers that start today? Specifically blind. I'm planning to watch Lobos Jr. since he clowns on these games so often, is there more people skilled like that?

Elajjaz might be entertaining to watch. He's mostly a speedrunner but he streamed blind playthroughs of the previous games before he got around to routing/running. He's pretty good at the games.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

TheQat posted:

is Durante still mad at the souls scene or whatever

He did a performance write up for PCGamer a couple of days ago. I wouldn't say he's mad, but SOTFS gave him some issues when it detects basically anything like DLL injection and supposedly got a bunch of people soft banned for using GeToSeTo or whatever his generic tool is.

Who knows what FROM's stance will be with DS3. I would personally assume the same, so I'm not going to be bothering with pretty much anything. Fortunately, there isn't really any 'need' for it like there was with DS1, and unlike DS2, it doesn't look like garbage out of the box, so even if you have the overhead to make the game look any better, it's not nearly as big of a deal.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Please play online and join the Way of the Blue. I desperately want to protect people like you from the dickwraith hordes. :911:

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Zaphod42 posted:

Besides literally having Ornstein in DS2, a character from DS1, as well as tons of items with references in the text, there's kinda the fact that the lord souls from DS1 are literally in DS2 named as they were. The only way you can ignore that is if you never got to NG+ in DS2, which explains a bit.

The names don't necessarily mean it is the same location. Those souls are portable and can be given from one to another and even split. Dranglake is still possibly a different location.

But whatever, I don't care too much, since it makes little difference in the end.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

TaurusOxford posted:

Agreed, but I think my first playthrough will still be the Claymore, if only because of its amazing battle arte: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBXHboymFsI

Holy poo poo I'm going with the claymore too. It looks amazing and was my favourite weapon on DS1, not so much on DS2 since it added a lot of other contenders and useful axes.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

Please play online and join the Way of the Blue. I desperately want to protect people like you from the dickwraith hordes. :911:

Yes, do this. Please don't play offline because you're afraid some jerk wad will screw with your experience. You're only screwing with your own experience by flipping the switch!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I forgot about that!

Yes, if anyone is afraid of invasions, please play online, stay Embered as much as possible, and join the Way of Blue covenant. I'd love nothing more than to come in as a blue phantom and fight invaders off with you all.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

TaurusOxford posted:

Agreed, but I think my first playthrough will still be the Claymore, if only because of its amazing battle arte: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBXHboymFsI

Yes please

quote:

Besides literally having Ornstein in DS2, a character from DS1, as well as tons of items with references in the text, there's kinda the fact that the lord souls from DS1 are there, which is huge. The only way you can ignore that is if you never got to NG+ in DS2.

Ivory King just makes it explicit too.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
They made a mechanic specific for people who are afraid of invasions and it seems that it works fine this time, join the way of blue covenant and just chill while hordes of blue cops come to your rescue

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

ultrachrist posted:

Any quick tips from the JPN release about not loving up the NPC quests?

Do not worry about it your first time through the game. Trust me.

ZZZorcerer posted:

They made a mechanic specific for people who are afraid of invasions and it seems that it works fine this time

Yeah it's called summoning up to three players to babysit you from bonfire to boss-bonfire in every zone :v:
gently caress invading Japanese players

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The names don't necessarily mean it is the same location. Those souls are portable and can be given from one to another and even split. Dranglake is still possibly a different location.

But whatever, I don't care too much, since it makes little difference in the end.

Yeah its possibly a different location, you can look at it either way, fair enough. That's how I see it though, and I even see DeS as being connected although vastly separated by time. And even if its not the same location, they're still the same souls and so they're still directly connected in the same universe either way. It just might be down the road a bit.

DS3 is less subtle about that.

Yeah I really, really hope that bluecops actually work in DS3 unlike DS2 and that becomes a thing.

Please everybody set your covenant to way of the blue if you're not actively trying to progress in one of the other covenants! (or if you just really want to fight invaders by yourself)

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Protect? I can protect myself from the Dickwraiths quite well. It's just that I scare easily.

I also have dark memories of Belfry Luna back during the early months of Darksouls 2.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

My friends and I are going to beat you up

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I am the reading the online manual on my PS4 and it starts like this:

"Most games try to take you through a specific narrative, introducing you to the world and its characters at preset moments. The narrative in Dark souls takes a different path, the story and history this bleak world is one you must uncover yourself. Hints gleaned from item descriptions, optional conversations, and exploration of the detailed environment create a picture of the world. Trying to understand the lore and and story of Dark Souls becomes a kind of game within the game. You are never required to invest in it, or to care about the past, but there is a rich reward if you are willing to put in the time and effort piece together your own narrative".

*Gasp*

Did they just tell you how to play a Souls game?

Worst game ever.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

goddamn I want to play this game so bad but I am on tour for two more weeks

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...
Anyone know if dual-wielding is viable this time around?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Dr. Carwash posted:

more specifically than ds1 but less generally than ds2

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Dr. Carwash posted:

Yes and in particular some weapons are almost like bloodborne weapons where two-handing them instead pulls out a second one.

So some weapons are innately dual wield, which is kinda funny but works. (You can still manually dual wield two different weapons if you want)

Sword arts give you all kinds of attacks which are similar to DS2 power stance shenanigans.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

In a cruel twist of fate, I have to clock in at work right when this game unlocks. Just wanna stay home and act a fool in Dark Souls.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

Harrow posted:

I forgot about that!

Yes, if anyone is afraid of invasions, please play online, stay Embered as much as possible, and join the Way of Blue covenant. I'd love nothing more than to come in as a blue phantom and fight invaders off with you all.

Is it even possible to join the Bluecops that early?

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

It's like time is going slower as each hour goes by

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

A Magical Lamp posted:

The blue covenants are in the first/second area.

Do we have a new Dark Souls group on steam or are we using the Dark Goons PC ?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I saw a (sort of not-spoilery) thing about the three big ending things and I don't know if I want to do the easiest or the hardest first. And I just realized I'll be out all weekend so I can't play as much as I'd like.

b0red posted:

It's like time is going slower as each hour goes by

Space and time is distorted

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

A Magical Lamp posted:

The way of blue is like the first covenant, and guardians of the blue is like the second. Its pretty well designed.

There's one covenant you can get before guardians of blue but its pretty drat obscure and easy to miss. The rest all come much later.

From kinda messed up the covenants in DS2 but I think they learned from it and it'll actually be a thing in DS3 :)

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

A Magical Lamp posted:

Way of the Blue you can get in the first non-tutorial area, cops are in the third.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

If you're a bluecop and you:
A. Are currently a not-bluecop summon
or
B. Have someone else summoned
or
C. Are fighting a boss

Can you get bluecopped to somewhere else?

I'm planning on helping a friend/getting help so we can steamroll to NG+ and while I would love to police the skies I don't want it to mess up my flow

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I saw a (sort of not-spoilery) thing about the three big ending things and I don't know if I want to do the easiest or the hardest first. And I just realized I'll be out all weekend so I can't play as much as I'd like.

Space and time is distorted

you wont be doing the hardest first, as it requires massive amounts of foresight and a gross lack of caution

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Can't decide if I want to use my steam controller or xbox 360 controller. Probably go with the classic 360 but those back buttons are so nice for rolls. Anyone find any good community configs?

b0red fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 11, 2016

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Petition to change the thread title to something less AIDS.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
15 minutes left in the workday. 16 minutes before I go hollow. close one.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Same except I dont even care since I'm just gonna go home and look at the clock for another 2 hours

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ornstein isn't actually in ds1, he's an illusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods
Bullshit. He drops a ring and everything.