Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Dr Cheeto posted:

"Roguelike" is another term that's been thrown around so long it's basically lost all meaning

Personally its a pretty useful shorthand for "you will not like this game."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Broseph Brostar posted:

Actually it was Legacy of the Wizard but legacyofthewizardlike is a mouthful

Dragonslayerlike

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

PantsBandit posted:

I think No Man's Sky may be the first game I've gotten completely sick of before it even comes out. Not counting Early Access.

I'm glad it's finally coming out soon so that it can sweep Most Disappointing Game of 2016 instead of having to contend with Cyberpunk 2077 next year.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

exquisite tea posted:

I'm glad it's finally coming out soon so that it can sweep Most Disappointing Game of 2016 instead of having to contend with Cyberpunk 2077 next year.

I thought star citizen was most disappointing game of 2014 2015 and 2016 combined

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

theultimo posted:

I thought star citizen was most disappointing game of 2014 2015 and 2016 combined

I'm pretty sure to be disappointing it would have to exist first

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Chris Roberts has wisely understood that a game has to actually come out to be disappointing, but doesn't even have to be released in order to make money.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

If the game ever comes out, even if every promise made comes true, it still won't ever be as entertaining as the thread

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

My first rouge-like experience was dwarf fortress adventure mode and I thought I'd like other rouge-likes after playing it... Turns out I just liked smacking ducks around with a * llama wool sock *

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I'm irritated at myself for still being irritated by "rouge" :(

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Jay Rust posted:

When you see rouge, you see red.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Dr Cheeto posted:

When you see rouge, you see a bat

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
If you see the word Rouge and the first video game thing you think of is Sonic Related and not Power Stone related, you are garbage and I don't want to talk to you.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Webcomics probably got a lot of mileage out of "rouge"

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Power stone isn't a roguelike :confused:

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I used to have a couple issues of Steve Ditko's self-published Libertarian super hero Mr. A, and in the second issue he fights Count Rogue, but no one was editing him so half the time he spells it Count Rouge.

Also Mr. A is an insane comic book.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

good morning chat thread

nightmares are awful

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods
I like how when people use the term "roguelike" they then follow it up with a description of exactly what they meant when they said "roguelike." Just leave the word out and describe the game.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
Roguelike I'm fine with

Rouge-lite can burn in hell

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I can't tell if you're doing it on purpose

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Gameplay is legend of Zelda meets diablo 2 (is nothing like either game)

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It's Dark Souls but in 2D: every indie game post-2012

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Broseph Brostar posted:

Gameplay is legend of Zelda meets diablo 2 (is nothing like either game)

lmao, this happens so often

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
this is the dark souls of sudoku

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
Dark souls 3 in 3 hours!!!!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm gonna be in bed then

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Broseph Brostar posted:

Power stone isn't a roguelike :confused:

codenameFANGIO posted:

I used to have a couple issues of Steve Ditko's self-published Libertarian super hero Mr. A, and in the second issue he fights Count Rogue, but no one was editing him so half the time he spells it Count Rouge.

Also Mr. A is an insane comic book.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Oh no! A novelty prop!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
idk, I've always found roguelike and metroidvania to be good shorthands for a style of game, like how ARPG is shorthand for stuff like diablo and torchlight and titan's quest even though ARPG would be able to describe a bunch of different games outside of that genre.

It's kinda like how people used to call all horror games survival horror even if the game didn't really have much survival in it or much in the way of horror and was just an action game where you killed supernatural stuff

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Broseph Brostar posted:

I probably should get it on PC since is cheaper and releasing 6 hours sooner, but I can't get my DS4 to work well wirelessly and I definitely don't want to sit in front of my computer to play it.

I never really got this. What's so bad about sitting in your chair and playing games on a monitor?

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I just started computer gaming again cause I bought a sweet monitor and I miss my couch.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
People really overreact to the use of the terms roguelike and metroidvania. Yes the terms are over applied but that doesn't mean they don't refer to specific things and that the terms aren't good short hand for those types of things. Like someone said that people should just call Castlevania and Metroidvania action adventure games but that's an absurdly vague term that could quite frankly be applied to so many games it's useless. I just feel people get willfully ignorant about what the terms mean because they like to bitch about nothing.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Chinaman7000 posted:

I just started computer gaming again cause I bought a sweet monitor and I miss my couch.

What kind of chairs do you guys have. I use this Herman Miller Aeron and It's super comfy for long periods of sitting and gaming.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Videogames are bad at genres

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Jay Rust posted:

I used up all my post editing points this morning typing out nouveau, thank you for your patience.

RE: computer chairs. I am the wiggliest motherfucker and I can't even sit still for 5 minutes in a computer chair with arms without contorting myself into some weird pretzel, so I prefer gaming on a couch.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
When the public overuses words this regularly it does actually dilute their meaning. When someone describes a game you're unfamiliar with using one of those terms it conveys a lot less information than it used to.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
moulin rogue

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

With the way my house is laid out, playing games from a sofa means playing a slightly uncomfortable position from the TV.

These days I play either from my desk chair or I roll over to my bed if I'm being a filthy filthy boy.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

"Rouges are overpowdered." - The Intenet, 2009

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Jay Rust posted:

"Rouges are overpowdered." - The Intenet, 2009

:newlol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dr Cheeto posted:

"Roguelike" is another term that's been thrown around so long it's basically lost all meaning

I'm really opposed to the term "character action" because not only does it not mean anything when taken at face value, it's also a bullshit category that seems to only include games people like. If there's a game that sucks it "lacks the depth" to be real character action. It's so stupid.

• Locked thread