Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

ChickenWing posted:

That's jarring because it is completely out of character for the excerpt, much less the book. The tone of NotW is pretty established as being reasonably modern, and definitely consistent with a lot of other fantasy I've read.

Actually the books keeps jumping from one tone to the next as much. It's less noticeable because the shift is between chapters. Remember the gossamer music?

Like this being all from the same conversation:

quote:

“Today, master, I learned why great lovers have better eyesight than great scholars.”

“And why is that, Bast?” Kote asked, amusement touching the edges of his voice.

Bast closed the door and returned to sit in the second chair, turning it to face his teacher and the fire. He moved with a strange delicacy and grace, as if he were close to dancing. “Well Reshi, all the rich books are found inside where the light is bad. But lovely girls tend to be out in the sunshine and therefore much easier to study without risk of injuring one’s eyes.”

Kote nodded. “But an exceptionally clever student could take a book out-side, thus bettering himself without fear of lessening his much-loved faculty of sight.”

quote:

Bast opened his mouth, but Kote continued before he could say anything. “Yes, I made sure the pit was deep enough. Yes, I made sure there was rowan wood in the fire. Yes, I made sure it burned long and hot before they buried it. And yes, I made sure that no one kept a piece of it as a souvenir.” He scowled, his eyebrows drawing together. “I’m not an idiot, you know.”

Bast visibly relaxed, settling back into his chair. “I know you’re not, Reshi. But I wouldn’t trust half these people to piss leeward without help.” He looked thoughtful for a moment. “I can’t imagine why there was only one.”

quote:

“Begone demon!” Kote said, switching to a thickly accented Temic through half a mouthful of stew. “Tehus antausa eha!”

Bast burst into startled laughter and made an obscene gesture with one hand.

Kote swallowed and changed languages. “Aroi te denna-leyan!”

“Oh come now,” Bast reproached, his smile falling away. “That’s just insulting.”

“By earth and stone, I abjure you!” Kote dipped his fingers into the cup by his side and flicked droplets casually in Bast’s direction. “Glamour be banished!”

“With cider?” Bast managed to look amused and annoyed at the same time as he daubed a bead of liquid from the front of his shirt. “This better not stain.”

Kote took another bite of his dinner. “Go soak it. If the situation becomes desperate, I recommend you avail yourself of the numerous solvent formulae extant in Celum Tinture. Chapter thirteen, I believe.”

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Apr 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I don't know why you're harping (heh) on the violin thing more than you did a minor chord being described as "saying the word sad." One is at least a bit plausible, the other is flat out lazy and I don't think I'd ever hear a true musician, let alone one that literally only had his music to keep himself warm for months, use that simple of a metaphor for something as meaningful as their music.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Actually the books keeps jumping from one tone to the next. It's less noticeable sometimes because the shift is between chapters. Remember the gossamer music?

Like this being all from the same conversation:

I still don't see anything wrong with that :shrug:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I've already explained. Think about what the tone of each excerpt is, and how characters act in each excerpt. Compare them, and you notice that they make no sense. And this isn't because I've edited down the conversation. The conversation moves from playful irony, to dread, to exasperation, to farce, to playful irony.

Switching tones can make for great contrast, and it's a pretty basic storytelling device. But it demands you have some kind of effect you're looking for. The first conversation between Bast and Kvothe is three conversations combined. The reader is left confused, and mistakes this for intrigue.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Aug 26, 2017

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

I've already explained. Think about what the tone of each excerpt is, and how characters act in each excerpt. Compare them, and you notice that they make no sense. And this isn't because I've edited down the conversation. The conversation moves from playful irony, to dread, to exasperation, to farce, to playful irony.

Switching tones can make for great contrast, but that demands you have some kind of effect you're looking for. The first conversation between Bast and Kvothe is three conversations combined.

More than one tone can fit into a conversation. People don't naturally speak in perfectly regimented blocks. Dialog flows.

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off

The first conversation between Bast and Kvothe is three conversations combined.

It was a talkativeness of three parts.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Switching tones can make for great contrast, but that demands you have some kind of effect you're looking for. The first conversation between Bast and Kvothe is three conversations combined.

I know you've already explained, I just find the explanation wanting. It makes perfect sense to me. I don't only talk to my friends in a single tone, it changes depending on the conversation. Plus, the transitions here make sense, at least to me. Humorous initial conversation, thing comes up which is scary, Kvothe says "i did the thing right jesus mom" and then the situation is defused with humour. This is not jarring or even a little strange to me,

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

jivjov posted:

More than one tone can fit into a conversation. People don't naturally speak in perfectly regimented blocks. Dialog flows.

ChickenWing posted:

I know you've already explained, I just find the explanation wanting. It makes perfect sense to me. I don't only talk to my friends in a single tone, it changes depending on the conversation. Plus, the transitions here make sense, at least to me. Humorous initial conversation, thing comes up which is scary, Kvothe says "i did the thing right jesus mom" and then the situation is defused with humour. This is not jarring or even a little strange to me,

That would demand that there be some effect being sought. The combination of exasperation and farce is completely off-putting. There is no description of stances or expressions shifting - and that's so common elsewhere!

The conversation leaves the reader confused, which is mistaken for intriguing. It only works to express that Kvothe is manic, which he actually isn't. Later chapters establish that he's much subtler. If this is supposed to indicate that Bast is someone he can be open to, that also doesn't make sense, since Bast thinks that he's basically dead inside. There is no hint that joking around is a way to distract from the thoughts of demon crabs, you have to assume it, because it's not in the text. The book doesn't show that Kvothe's sudden merriment is just a mask or exhausting. All these conflicting elements together end up leaving no impression.

Just consider how Rothfuss describes him alone, immediately after this conversation:

quote:

Kote ate slowly, mopping up the last of the stew with a piece of bread. He looked out the window as he ate, or tried to, as the lamplight turned its surface mirrorlike against the dark behind it.

His eyes wandered the room restlessly. The fireplace was made of the same black rock as the one downstairs. It stood in the center of the room, a minor feat of engineering of which Kote was rather proud. The bed was small, little more than a cot, and if you were to touch it you would find the mattress almost nonexistent.

Kote tried to relax, failed, fidgeted, sighed, shifted in his seat, and without willing it his eyes fell on the chest at the foot of the bed.

Notice how he describes no transition from his merriment to his being alone. He's nervous, but this builds on nothing that has come before. Even the conversation that just occurred. There's no sense of tonal or emotional continuity.

‘Yes, alas! through him the Enemy has learned that the One has been found again. He knows where Isildur fell. He knows where Gollum found his ring. He knows that it is a Great Ring, for it gave long life. He knows that it is not one of the Three, for they have never been lost, and they endure no evil. He knows that it is not one of the Seven, or the Nine, for they are accounted for. He knows that it is the One. And he has at last heard, I think, of hobbits and the Shire.

‘The Shire – he may be seeking for it now, if he has not already found out where it lies. Indeed, Frodo, I fear that he may even think that the long-unnoticed name of Baggins has become important.’

'Begone demon!' Frodo said, switching to a thickly accented Elvish through half a mouthful of stew. “Tehus antausa eha!”

Gandalf burst into startled laughter and made an obscene gesture with one hand.

e: Also, something I just now noticed:

quote:

They sat for a long moment. Kote scowling down into the bowl of stew in his hands, his eyes far away. “It must be awful for you here, Bast,” he said at last. “You must be numb with boredom.”

Bast shrugged. “There are a few young wives in town. A scattering of daughters.” He grinned like a child. “I tend to make my own fun.”

“That’s good, Bast.” There was another silence. Kote took another spoonful, chewed, swallowed. 'They thought it was a demon, you know.'

Bast shrugged. “It might as well be, Reshi. It’s probably the best thing for them to think.”

Can anyone check if this just my edition? This is the second time I've noticed this.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 11, 2016

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

That would demand that there be some effect being sought.

There is. We're establishing Kvothe's competency. He knows how to dispose of demons. To me, that sounds like a big deal.

Also, this

you have to assume it, because it's not in the text.

Is pretty rich from the guy accusing Rothfuss of not stimulating the imagination.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

ChickenWing posted:

There is. We're establishing Kvothe's competency. He knows how to dispose of demons. To me, that sounds like a big deal.

That is exposition. Most of the conversation isn't about it.

ChickenWing posted:

Is pretty rich from the guy accusing Rothfuss of not stimulating the imagination.

There is a difference between stimulating the imagination and having to invent character motivations that run contrary to the text.

e. There's some incredibly obvious connections that Rothfuss doesn't even bring up, because he doesn't seem to be aware of them. Why didn't Kvothe ever notice how the caravan that took him to Imre resembled his childhood troupe?

It's a new level of subtlety, simply not including characterization.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Apr 12, 2016

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Can anyone check if this just my edition? This is the second time I've noticed this.

Dude likes shrugging. Nothing wrong with that.
*SoliceKirsk shrugged

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

jivjov posted:

I do need to read some Sanderson. Recommendations on a starting point?

Warbreaker. You can even download it from his website for free as a pdf. Elantris got an updated version (which is what I waited for before reading it) and it's not bad but other books of his are better.

Mistborn's decent but it's an older work of his and shows, while the Wax and Wayne stuff that takes place after it are solid with Shadows of Self and Bands of Mourning both having pretty :stare: endings.

Stormlight Archives is good but it's also his major arc with something like a dozen planned books so it probably won't be done until the early 2030s and that's only because Sanderson is a printing press wrapped in human skin.

I haven't read his non-Cosmere stuff yet.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

ChickenWing posted:

That's jarring because it is completely out of character for the excerpt, much less the book. The tone of NotW is pretty established as being reasonably modern, and definitely consistent with a lot of other fantasy I've read. There's a threshold at which point things become ridiculous, sure, but I don't believe it's been surpassed here, and certainly not to the absurd extent you seem to think.

To add to this, an interesting thing about anachronisms, language, idioms and the like is that we have a conception of what language in the past sounded like based mostly on fiction and Hollywood, not reality, so often things we think are anachronisms aren't. This article touches on some recent examples. I also know Mary Robinette Kowal was talking about how as she was doing historical research for her books, she kept finding language that sounded very modern and out of place, and that she knew she couldn't put in the book because it would sound wrong, even if it was actually accurate (on a Writing Excuses podcast, though I can't seem to find which one). This is also true for concepts that have existed for much longer than people guess.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Uranium Phoenix posted:

To add to this, an interesting thing about anachronisms, language, idioms and the like is that we have a conception of what language in the past sounded like based mostly on fiction and Hollywood, not reality, so often things we think are anachronisms aren't. This article touches on some recent examples. I also know Mary Robinette Kowal was talking about how as she was doing historical research for her books, she kept finding language that sounded very modern and out of place, and that she knew she couldn't put in the book because it would sound wrong, even if it was actually accurate (on a Writing Excuses podcast, though I can't seem to find which one). This is also true for concepts that have existed for much longer than people guess.

The most important thing is consistency. Those anachronisms are inconsistent within Kingkiller itself.

e: We haven't even gotten to the fact that it's not funny. It's a lazy world's smallest violin gag.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Apr 12, 2016

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The most important thing is consistency. Those anachronisms are inconsistent within Kingkiller itself.

e: We haven't even gotten to the fact that it's not funny. It's a lazy world's smallest violin gag.

I found he violin joke to be funny.

Not rolling around on the floor holding my sides funny...but a small amusement.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's not even a "smallest violin" anachronism though. He just mimes playing a violin. I can believe that an "I'm playing a sad song for you" sarcastic hand gesture exists in this fantasy world.

edit:
this is a smallest violin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jrKXf2G-AA

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Apr 12, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's not even a "smallest violin" anachronism though. He just mimes playing a violin. I can believe that an "I'm playing a sad song for you" sarcastic hand gesture exists in this fantasy world.

It's something that's indicative of a deeper underlying problem.

First let's definitely answer why sarcastic violin-playing is a dumb gag in an epic fantasy

1. Violins are a common object in Kvothe's world, unlike other Renaissance developments such as gunpowder or cannons* (at least one violinist appears later).

2. They're commonly used for sorrowful incidental music, and are thus associated with melodrama
3. This is common enough that miming playing a violin is a recognized as a sarcastic gesture for somebody being over-dramatic, even in a pre-modern oral culture where ironic blending of multimedia experience with social discourse should be foreign

And the story still involves demon gods who want to destroy the world. There's no contrast presented, because these are essentially two stories combined without thought. There's no hint of any kind of intent or purpose behind these conflicting tones, they're simply presented as a given. Why doesn't Kvothe comment on how frivolous this all seems when he was living on the streets a week ago?

In other words, it's more evidence that Rothfuss hasn't written a intelligible setting that's used to tell a story, but a grab-bag of motifs that don't make much sense together. It's the same thing as the Inquisition operating a few days away from wizard school.

This is the general impression of Kingkiller: it's various elements just don't add up together. There is no emotional or thematic continuity to its narrative. Why is Kvothe's narration so occupied with every trivial and dull detail in the first place?

You can also see this in how fans explain how the books are good and enjoyable: they'll mention that the magic system is cool and they liked that part, but nowhere do they describe the act of reading Kingkiller. They enjoy things in the books, but they don't enjoy the books as any kind of reading experience. I liked the first conversation between Kvothe and Ben, but that hardly makes makes the books good.

e: And this isn't a dig at fans, I can't find a critic who can describe the experience of reading Kingkiller either. I haven't found a positive review that goes beyond banalities like "tropes" and "world-building".

*Speaking of Renaissance inventions, when will clocks be mentioned again? I haven't noticed them since Chapter 26. Aren't there "sympathy clocks" about?

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 12, 2016

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

You're still basing everything in a reality that this fantasy book doesn't exist in. Seems like a silly thing to get hung up on.

This it the general impression of Kingkiller: it's element just don't add up together. There is no emotional or thematic continuity to its narrative. Why is Kvothe's narration so occupied with every trivial and dull detail in the first place?

I think this is a good critique of the book in general and its something I noticed but didn't know quite how to put to words.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

*Speaking of Renaissance inventions, when will clocks be mentioned again? I haven't noticed them since Chapter 26. Aren't there "sympathy clocks" about?

Off the top of my head, Stapes has a pocket watch and Kvothe has a pendulum clock in his rooms in Severen. Plus there's the bell that chimes the hours pretty much everywhere.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Apr 12, 2016

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

In other words, it's more evidence that Rothfuss hasn't written a intelligible setting that's used to tell a story, but a grab-bag of motifs that don't make much sense together. It's the same thing as the Inquisition operating a few days away from wizard school.

This is the general impression of Kingkiller: it's various elements just don't add up together. There is no emotional or thematic continuity to its narrative. Why is Kvothe's narration so occupied with every trivial and dull detail in the first place?

I actually agree with this, and feel like Solice in that I haven't been able to put my finger on it. I still enjoy the book, but the more I think about it, the more it just kinda seems like an amalgam of semi-interesting ideas that I like individually. It's more or less the reason that the second falls apart.

That said, someone pantomiming something to represent a sarcastic sadness doesn't really feel out of place to me, and doesn't seem inconsistent at all.

You pick some weird things to pick on. Why would they need to be mentioned again? It just basically establishes that there's a way to know a precise time so that it doesn't seem weird to have someone say "Meet me at this time" and such without having to give it in phases of the sun.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

For me it's just too horribly transparent that he's trying to pull off some kind of Pixar humor BS that it pulls me right out of the book; it being an anachronism doesn't bother me in and of itself, but it does highlight the hamfisted and lazy way the author tries to get me to feel humor out of the scene.

This is a huge problem I have with the book in general, almost every page I can feel Rothfuss blatantly trying to pull my strings and after a while I start seeing it as less of a story and more of a machine designed to rather unsubtly push emotional/visceral buttons. It makes me feel like a literary version of a serial killer who sees people not as human beings but as bags of blood that happen to move around and make loud noises when poked too hard. In this sense I understand why lamps is vivisecting the book piece by agonizing piece not comprehending why there are people crying out in horror who in turn have no idea how he can so methodically torture an innocent, albeit flawed thing.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Did we talk about who's producing/writing the TV series?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0492994/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm5170222/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Looking forward to it :)

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

For real? That is like something you'd expect from a 90s USA Network show.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
LET’S READ THE KINGKILLER CHRONICLE CRITICALLY

Part 18: “Some of my bunkmates offered awed congratulations while Basil made a special point of coming forward to shake my hand.”

So let’s talk about conflict with Chapter 39, “Enough Rope”. Kvothe has arrived early for Hemme’s lecture to speak with him, but it turns out that Hemme simply wants to use Kvothe’s professed mastery of magic as a way to humiliate him. Hemme demands that Kvothe lead the class since he’s so knowledgeable. Kvothe does so, relying on his performer’s skill to remain confident and in control, and lectures on the principles of magic by using a wooden replica of Hemme to show how to transfer heat. He humiliaties Hemme by almost burning him, and the students applaud him as he exits after the performance.

quote:

“I have pleasant news for everyone,” he said. “Mr. Kvothe here has assured me as to his complete grasp of the principles of sympathy. In doing so, he has offered to give today’s lecture.” He made an expansive gesture for me to join him on the stage. He smiled at me with hard eyes. “Mr. Kvothe?”

He was mocking me, of course, expecting me to slink down into my seat, cowed and ashamed.

But I had had enough of bullies in my life. So I climbed onto the stage and shook his hand. Using a good stage voice I spoke to the students, “I thank Master Hemme for this opportunity. I only hope that I can help him shed some light on this most important subject.”

The first problem with this conflict is that it’s mechanical and thus uninteresting. Kvothe simply applies the right talents to a situation.

quote:

I held the crude doll up for the class to inspect. “This,” I said, “is Master Hemme.” Laughter muttered back and forth across the hall. “Actually, this is my sympathetic representation of Master Hemme. Would anyone like to take a guess as to why it is not a very good one?”

[...]

“It does bear some small resemblance to him, in general shape and proportion. Nevertheless, it is a very poor sympathetic representation. Because of that, any sympathetic link based off it would be rather weak. Perhaps two percent efficiency. How could we improve it?”

There was another silence, shorter than the first. “You could make it bigger,” someone suggested. I nodded and waited. Other voices called out, “You could carve Master Hemme’s face on it.” “Paint it.” “Give it a little robe.” Everyone laughed.

I held up my hand for quiet and was surprised by how quickly it fell. “Practicality aside, assume you did all these things. A six-foot, fully-clothed, masterfully carved Master Hemme stands beside me.” I gestured. “Even with all that effort the best you might hope for is ten or fifteen percent sympathetic link. Not very good, not very good at all.

“This brings me to the second law, Consanguinity. An easy way of thinking of it is, ‘once together, always together.’ Due to Master Hemme’s generosity I have one of his hairs.” I held it up, and ceremoniously stuck it to the head of the doll. “And as easy as this, we have a sympathetic link that will work at thirty to thirty-five percent.”

A lot of the conflicts seem to involve simply Kvothe using some talent or trick to trivialize a situation. Kvothe sneaks in and observes the examinations so that he can cheat his way through. Kvothe drank a drug so that he feels no pain for being whipped. Kvothe uses stage technique to perform a lecture. Kvothe plays so well that the whole inn weeps. Kvothe knows the name of the wind, so Ambrose gets injured. Kvothe read the University’s code of conduct so he can charge Ambrose.

If he can’t do something, he is simply delayed and sometimes injured.

Rothfuss’s utterly dull magic “system” illustrates this well. It doesn’t generate interesting conflict since it’s simply an application of technobabble. There is no interesting conflict when characters speak of their superpowers in percentile.

There is no greater push-and-pull and risk that struggle involves. I’d call it RPG logic, but that would be insulting RPGs. Even the “climactic” fight with the dragon involves this. Even the fabled “name of the wind” is just a skill to be learned. There are no ideas driving the conflicts, even the notion of ingenuity and inventionn triumphing against the odds, it's all just brute application of talent. But as made clear, Rothfuss unfortunately does not use his imagination to that purpose.

quote:

Sure that he had taken me for a fool, I gestured to the candle and asked him, “With your permission, Master?” He made a magnanimous wave of compliance and settled back into his chair, folding his arms in front of him, confident in his safety.

Of course I did know the binding. I’d told him so. And Ben had taught me about the Alar, the riding-crop belief, back when I was twelve.

But I didn’t bother with either. I put the doll’s foot into the candle flame, which guttered and smoked.

[...]

Hemme shrugged, feigning astonishment. But his eyes had the look of a jaw trap about to close. A smirk tugged at one corner of his mouth, and he began to rise from his seat. “I feel nothing. Wh—”

“Exactly.” I said, cracking my voice like a whip, startling the students’ attentions back to me. “And why is that?” I looked expectantly at the lecture hall.

“Because of the third law that I had mentioned, Conservation. ‘Energy cannot be destroyed or created, merely lost or found.’ If I were to hold a candle underneath our esteemed teacher’s foot, very little would occur. And since only about thirty percent of the heat is getting through, we do not even get that small result.”

I paused to let them think for a moment. “This is the prime problem in sympathy. Where do we get the energy? Here, however, the answer is simple.”

I blew out the candle and relit it from the brazier. Muttering the few necessary words underneath my breath. “By adding a second sympathetic link between the candle and a more substantial fire….” I broke my mind into two pieces, one binding Hemme and the doll together, the other connecting the candle and the brazier. “We get the desired effect.”

I casually moved the foot of the wax doll into the space about an inch above the candle’s wick, which is actually the hottest part of the flame.

There was a startled exclamation from where Hemme was sitting.

Without looking in his direction I continued speaking to the class in the driest of tones. “And it appears that this time we are successful.” The class laughed.

The second problem is that this conflict is utterly shallow, despite the breadth of thematic possibilities involved. Since Hemme is a shallow caricature meant only to antagonize Kvothe, like Ambrose, there is nothing insightful against their conflict. There is no realism or interesting theme. Kvothe stands up against a bully, but even for that it’s shallow. There’s not even the undertone of youth revolt, no insight into the relationship between student and teacher, or the conflict of man against institutions. It’s not even hip Kvothe showing up square Hemme. It’s simply a question of how Kvothe is entitled for more.

We keep coming back to the theme of entitlement, because that’s all there is to these conflicts. Kvothe’s enemies are simply monsters or idiots. The only interesting conflict he ever engages in is fighting against his amiable moneylender in the next book, because that involves some notion beyond demonstrating Kvothe’s exceptionality.

quote:

I would never have gotten away with it if not for two of Hemme’s numerous flaws. First, his general stupidity in not believing what I had told him the day before. Second, his desire to see me embarrassed as thoroughly as possible.

quote:

At this point I used one of the tricks of the stage. There is a certain inflection of voice and body language that signals a crowd to applaud. I cannot explain how exactly it is done, but it had its intended effect. I nodded my head to them and turned to face Hemme amidst applause which, though far from deafening, was probably more than any he had ever received.

As he took the last few steps toward me I almost backed away. His face was a fearsome red and a vein pulsed at his temple as if it were about to explode.

For my own part, my stage training helped me maintain my composure, I returned his gaze levelly and held out my hand for him to shake. It was with no small amount of satisfaction that I watched him give a quick glance to the still applauding class, swallow, and shake my hand.

quote:

After Hemme dismissed his class, news of what I had done spread through the University like wildfire. I guessed from the student’s reactions that Master Hemme was not particularly well loved. As I sat on a stone bench outside the Mews, passing students smiled in my direction. Others waved or gave laughing thumbs-up.

With that we’re in Chapter 40, ”On the Horns”. Kvothe Is being congratulated for his huge balls (a far cry from spinning gossamer from a lute), but he is under the threat of expulsion for using magic on Hemme, and is summoned before the masters of the University. Of course, since Hemme is an idiotic caricature, it’s simply a matter of Kvothe pointing out that he was given permission for everything he did. He still faces public disciplining: three lashes for reckless use of magic. To the outrage of Hemme, Kvothe requests recognition as a magician, since he has displayed his abilities in magic. This is approved,

This chapter has something of authentic value in it: the bureaucratic formulas of the meeting are an entertaining touch, and they make the discussion of Kvothe's punishment both comic and uncomfortable. This is undercut by Kvothe’s self-aggrandizing, which has no hint or irony or satire to it.

quote:

The Chancellor steepled his fingers and spoke without preamble. “On the fourth of Caitelyn, Hemme called the masters together.” Jamison’s pen scratched across a piece of paper, occasionally dipping back into the inkwell at the top of the desk. The Chancellor continued formally, “Are all the masters present?”

[...]

Hemme did not hesitate. “Today, first-term student Kvothe, not of the Arcanum, did perform sympathetic bindings on me with malicious intent.”

“Two grievances are recorded against Kvothe by Master Hemme,” The Chancellor said sternly, not taking his eyes away from me. “First grievance, unauthorized use of sympathy. What is the proper discipline for this, Master Archivist?”

“For unauthorized use of sympathy leading to injury, the offending student will be bound and whipped a number of times, not less than two nor more than ten, singly, across the back.” Lorren said it as if reading off directions for a recipe.

“Number of lashes sought?” The Chancellor looked at Hemme.

Hemme paused to consider. “Five.”

I felt the blood drain from my face and I forced myself to take a slow, deep breath through my nose to calm myself.

“Does any master object to this?” The Chancellor looked around the table, but all mouths were silent, all eyes were stern. “The second grievance: malfeasance. Master Archivist?”

“Four to fifteen single lashes and expulsion from the University.” Lorren said in a level voice.

“Lashes sought?

Hemme stared directly at me. “Eight.”

Thirteen lashes and expulsion. A cold sweat swept over me and I felt nausea in the pit of my stomach. I had known fear before. In Tarbean it was never far away. Fear kept you alive. But I had never before felt such a desperate helplessness. A fear not just for my body being hurt, but for my entire life being ruined. I began to get light-headed.

quote:

I took another deep breath, closed my eyes and concentrated. After a long moment, I felt the cool impassivity of the Heart of Stone surround me. My trembling stopped.

I opened my eyes and heard my own voice say, “I had permission for my use of sympathy, sir.”

The Chancellor gave me a long, hard look before saying, “What?”

I held the Heart of Stone around me like a calming mantle. “I had permission from Master Hemme, both express and implied.”

quote:

I turned to Hemme. “I really didn’t mean any harm, sir,” I said in my best distraught voice. “It was just supposed to be a bit of a hotfoot to make you jump. The fire hadn’t been going more than five minutes, and I didn’t imagine that a fresh fire at ten percent could hurt you.” I even wrung my hands a little, every bit the distraught student. It was a good performance. My father would have been proud.

There is no catharsis here, since the conflict is fundamentally mechanical. Kvothe says the right things, using his actor’s talents, and he wins over the masters. It’s an exercise in back-patting. One can even identify the “cool teachers”: they treat Kvothe kindly and dismiss Hemme. They exist to underline Kvothe’s exceptionality.

quote:

As I was deep into the Heart of Stone, all I felt was a slight analytical curiosity about what it would be like to be publicly whipped. All the masters showed signs of preparing to stand and leave, but before things could be called to a close I spoke up, “Chancellor?”

“During my admission, you said that my admittance to the Arcanum was granted, contingent upon proof that I had mastered the basic principles of sympathy.” I quoted him nearly word for word. “Does this constitute proof?”

Both Hemme and the Chancellor opened their mouths to say something. Hemme was louder. “Look here, you little cocker!”

“Hemme!” the Chancellor snapped. Then he turned to me, “I’m afraid proof of mastery requires more than a simple sympathetic binding.”

“A double binding,” Kilvin corrected gruffly.

Elodin spoke, seeming to startle everyone at the table. “I can think of students currently enrolled in the Arcanum who would be hard pressed to complete a double binding, let alone draw enough heat to ‘blister a man’s foot to the knee.’”

[...]

The Chancellor looked down at the empty table for a minute. Then he shrugged, looked up, and gave a surprisingly jaunty smile. “All in favor of admitting first-term student Kvothe’s reckless use of sympathy as proof of mastery of the basic principles of sympathy vote by show of hands.”

Kilvin and Elxa Dal raised their hands together. Arwyl added his a moment later. Elodin waved. After a pause, the Chancellor raised his hand as well, saying “Five and a half in favor of Kvothe’s admission to the Arcanum. Motion passed. Meeting dismissed. Tehlu shelter us, fools and children all.” He said the last very softly as he rested his forehead against the heel of his hand.

Besides the ridiculousness of the bureaucratic formula, the Chancellor’s exasperation is the only other authentic element in this chapter. It’s a poor fit for this story, as Kvothe never becomes the subversive figure it predicts.

Kvothe returns as a hero, and there’s another round of applause and lauds. It’s honestly getting rather embarrassing. He also has to move in with other magicians, and his new bunkmates resent him for entering their order so easily. Kvothe is finally “in some ways exactly where I had always wanted to be”. There is no remarks on how he defies tradition, the establishment, or anything this might imply: he is merely where he is entitled to be.

In Chapter 41, “Friend’s Blood,” Kvothe is preparing to be whipped in public, and... what’s with this opening sentence?

quote:

The next morning I woke early, washed up, and grabbed a bite to eat at the Mess.

It’s amazing how boring the language gets. I almost miss the silence in three parts, at least the language was imaginative in its badness. Again, Rothfuss insists that Kvothe narrate these dull details. It still stuns me how one can avoid writing anything fantastical about a world of wizards and demons.

Anxious, Kvothe is met by his friend Wilem. Wilem has some difficulties with language, which leads to some “world-building”.

quote:

“That makes me remember something strange in your language. People are always asking me about the road to Tinuë. Endlessly they say, ‘how is the road to Tinuë?’ What does it mean?”
I smiled. “It’s an idiomatic piece of the language. That means—”
“I know what an idiom is,” Wilem interrupted. “What does this one mean?”
“Oh,” I said, slightly embarrassed. “It’s just a greeting. It’s kind of like asking ‘how is your day?’ or ‘how is everything going?’”

More importantly, since Kvothe is young, he has Wilem go buy a special herb for him from an apothecary. He claims that it’s for his stomach, but it will actually numb the pain of being lashed. Kvothe regrets lying to Wilem, but he also set someone’s face on fire, so it hardly seems sincere. Eventually it’s time for his lashing, which takes place in front of a crowd of hundreds.

quote:

I spotted none of the masters in the crowd except for Hemme. He stood near the pennant pole, looking piglike in his smugness.

My question is no longer rhetorical: how can one manage to write a shallow version of Severus Snape in a 700-page subversive post-modern fantasy epic?

And one last note, Rothfuss is at least being consistent with the motif of performance, even if It is just illustrate Kvothe’s exceptionality.

quote:

I gave him a flat look. “You don’t need to worry about my running off.”

“It’s to keep you from falling over if you pass out.”

I gave him a hard look. “If I pass out you may do whatever you wish,” I said firmly. “Until then, I will not be tied.”

[...]

I heard people moving away from the base of the pole. Then the crowd quieted and there was no sound but the soft hiss and crack of the whip being loosened behind me. I was relieved I was to be whipped with a single headed whip. In Tarbean I had seen the terrible bloody hash a six-tail can make of a man’s back.

There was a sudden hush. Then, before I could brace myself, there came a sharper crack than the ones before. I felt a line of dim red fire trace down my back.

I gritted my teeth. But it wasn’t as bad as I’d thought it would be. Even with the precautions I had taken, I expected a sharper, fiercer pain.

Then the second lash came. Its crack was louder, and I heard it through my body rather than with my ears. I felt an odd looseness across my back. I held my breath, knowing I was torn and bleeding. Everything went red for a moment and I leaned against the rough, tarred wood of the pennant pole.

The third lash came before I was ready for it. It licked up to my left shoulder, then tore nearly all the way down to my left hip. I grit my teeth, refusing to make a sound. I kept my eyes open and watched the world grow black around the edges for a moment before snapping back into sharp, bright focus.

Then, ignoring the burning across my back, I set my feet on the bench and loosened my clenched fingers from the iron ring. A young man jumped forward as if he expected to have to catch me. I gave him a scathing look and he backed away. I gathered my shirt and cloak, laid them carefully over one arm, and left the courtyard, ignoring the silent crowd around me.

Can you spot all the “looks”?

ROTHFUSSIAN ATTRIBUTES

quote:

I had forgotten how Elodin’s light voice moved through the deep places in your chest when he spoke. He smiled happily at me again.

CLUMSY ATTEMPTS TO MAKE SENSE OF KVOTHE’S CHARACTER ARC

quote:

To me, less than a span away from the streets of Tarbean, it was a marvelous meal indeed.

[...]

Truth be told, I wasn’t really hungry anymore, but it galled me to be pulled away from a meal after all the times I’d been hungry in Tarbean.

quote:

Then someone touched me on the shoulder. I jumped fully two feet into the air and narrowly avoided falling on Simmon in the howling, scratching, biting blur that had been my only method of defense in Tarbean.

Tarbean Tarbean Tarbean

Before you say that this is acknowledging Tarbean, you have to remember that Kvothe's character still changed inexplicably. His life on the streets has become a sort of character quirk, not something that shapes the story. It has the exact narrative weight as his red hair.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Mar 15, 2017

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

LET’S READ THE KINGKILLER CHRONICLE CRITICALLY

Part 18: “Some of my bunkmates offered awed congratulations while Basil made a special point of coming forward to shake my hand.”

So let’s talk about conflict with Chapter 39, “Enough Rope”. Kvothe has arrived early for Hemme’s lecture to speak with him, but it turns out that Hemme simply wants to use Kvothe’s professed mastery of magic as a way to humiliate him. Hemme demands that Kvothe lead the class since he’s so knowledgeable. Kvothe does so, relying on his performer’s skill to remain confident and in control, and lectures on the principles of magic by using a wooden replica of Hemme to show how to transfer heat. He humiliaties Hemme by almost burning him, and the students applaud him as he exits after the performance.

The first problem with this conflict is that it’s mechanical and thus uninteresting. Kvothe simply applies the right talents to a situation.

A lot of the conflicts seem to involve simply Kvothe using some talent or trick to trivialize a situation. Kvothe sneaks in and observes the examinations so that he can cheat his way through. Kvothe drank a drug so that he feels no pain for being whipped. Kvothe uses stage technique to perform a lecture. Kvothe plays so well that the whole inn weeps. Kvothe knows the name of the wind, so Ambrose gets injured. Kvothe read the University’s code of conduct so he can charge Ambrose.

If he can’t do something, he is simply delayed and sometimes injured.

Rothfuss’s utterly dull magic “system” illustrates this well. It doesn’t generate interesting conflict since it’s simply an application of technobabble. There is no interesting conflict when characters speak of their superpowers in percentile.

There is no greater push-and-pull and risk that struggle involves. I’d call it RPG logic, but that would be insulting RPGs. Even the “climactic” fight with the dragon involves this. Even the fabled “name of the wind” is just a skill to be learned. Because there are no ideas driving the conflicts, the attraction should be in the solutions used to solve them. But as made clear, Rothfuss unfortunately does not use his imagination to that purpose.

The second problem is that this conflict is utterly shallow, despite the breadth of thematic possibilities involved. Since Hemme is a shallow caricature meant only to antagonize Kvothe, like Ambrose, there is nothing insightful against their conflict. There is no realism or interesting theme. Kvothe stands up against a bully, but even for that it’s shallow. There’s not even the undertone of youth revolt, no insight into the relationship between student and teacher, or the conflict of man against institutions. It’s not even hip Kvothe showing up square Hemme. It’s simply a question of how Kvothe is entitled for more.

We keep coming back to the theme of entitlement, because that’s all there is to these conflicts. Kvothe’s enemies are simply monsters or idiots. The only interesting conflict he ever engages in is fighting against his amiable moneylender in the next book, because that involves some notion beyond demonstrating Kvothe’s exceptionality.

With that we’re in Chapter 40, ”On the Horns”. Kvothe Is being congratulated for his huge balls (a far cry from spinning gossamer from a lute), but he is under the threat of expulsion for using magic on Hemme, and is summoned before the masters of the University. Of course, since Hemme is an idiotic caricature, it’s simply a matter of Kvothe pointing out that he was given permission for everything he did. He still faces public disciplining: three lashes for reckless use of magic. To the outrage of Hemme, Kvothe requests recognition as a magician, since he has displayed his abilities in magic. This is approved,

This chapter has something of authentic value in it: the bureaucratic formulas of the meeting are an entertaining touch, and they make the discussion of Kvothe's punishment both comic and uncomfortable. This is undercut by Kvothe’s self-aggrandizing, which has no hint or irony or satire to it.

There is no catharsis here, since the conflict is fundamentally mechanical. Kvothe says the right things, using his actor’s talents, and he wins over the masters. It’s an exercise in back-patting. One can even identify the “cool teachers”: they treat Kvothe kindly and dismiss Hemme. They exist to underline Kvothe’s exceptionality.

Besides the ridiculousness of the bureaucratic formula, the Chancellor’s exasperation is the only other authentic element in this chapter. It’s a poor fit for this story, as Kvothe never becomes the subversive figure it predicts.

Kvothe returns as a hero, and there’s another round of applause and lauds. It’s honestly getting rather embarrassing. He also has to move in with other magicians, and his new bunkmates resent him for entering their order so easily. Kvothe is finally “in some ways exactly where I had always wanted to be”. There is no remarks on how he defies tradition, the establishment, or anything this might imply: he is merely where he is entitled to be.

In Chapter 41, “Friend’s Blood,” Kvothe is preparing to be whipped in public, and... what’s with this opening sentence?

It’s amazing how boring the language gets. I almost miss the silence in three parts, at least the language was imaginative in its badness. Again, Rothfuss insists that Kvothe narrate these dull details. It still stuns me how one can avoid writing anything fantastical about a world of wizards and demons.

Anxious, Kvothe is met by his friend Wilem. Wilem has some difficulties with language, which leads to some “world-building”.

More importantly, since Kvothe is young, he has Wilem go buy a special herb for him from an apothecary. He claims that it’s for his stomach, but it will actually numb the pain of being lashed. Kvothe regrets lying to Wilem, but he also set someone’s face on fire, so it hardly seems sincere. Eventually it’s time for his lashing, which takes place in front of a crowd of hundreds.

My question is no longer rhetorical: how can one manage to write a shallow version of Severus Snape in a 700-page subversive post-modern fantasy epic?

And one last note, Rothfuss is at least being consistent with the motif of performance, even if It is just illustrate Kvothe’s exceptionality.

Can you spot all the “looks”?

ROTHFUSSIAN ATTRIBUTES

CLUMSY ATTEMPTS TO MAKE SENSE OF KVOTHE’S CHARACTER ARC

Tarbean Tarbean Tarbean

Before you say that this is acknowledging Tarbean, you have to remember that Kvothe's character still changed inexplicably. His life on the streets has become a sort of character quirk, not something that shapes his character and story. It has almost the exact narrative weight as his red hair.

I wish you would live stream your reading sessions for these posts. I want to see what your face looks like when you scrunch it up to endure the excruciating pain of reading a wildly popular and pretty well written book series.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Cast Iron Brick posted:

I wish you would live stream your reading sessions for these posts. I want to see what your face looks like when you scrunch it up to endure the excruciating pain of reading a wildly popular and pretty well written book series.

Any time you try to defend something using logic that could be applied to Twilight (popular = good), you should probably take a step back and reconsider.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Cast Iron Brick posted:

Please point to the well-written parts

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I mean, I know that it's apparently a near-impossible task, but please point out how the book is well-written.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

You know BOTL, you've inspired me. Once I finish the book I'm currently reading, I think I'll try doing a counter-analysis alongside you where I give my dirty plebian opinion on the book in the same sort of chunks as you do. We'll see if reading your critical analysis doesn't infect my otherwise excellent opinion of this book on another read.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

plus then maybe I can get you to stop posting "please quote exactly the parts that are good" at all the people who are not currently reading the book and do not have perfect memories for the exact text of things they've read :sun:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

ChickenWing posted:

plus then maybe I can get you to stop posting "please quote exactly the parts that are good" at all the people who are not currently reading the book and do not have perfect memories for the exact text of things they've read :sun:

I have posted extensive quotations.

You can do as little as just point out which ones are well-written.

Or you can do the wild thing and describe the act of reading Kingkiller.

Also, in the next entry I'm looking at probably the most well-written chapter in the book, if not the series.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 18, 2016

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

You don't post quotations of things you think are good though, which is my point

that's the idea, yes

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

You can do as little as just point out which ones are well-written.

Also, in the next entry I'm looking at probably the most well-written chapter in the book, if not the series.

You're posting quotations because you're actively reading the book right now, and have them handy. Anybody besides jivjov probably isn't reading it right now, and can't recall from memory exact quotations to refute you.

Also, what is the next chapter? I can't remember the exact order of events, and I'd like to know which section you're getting to here that you think might pass muster in your system. Kvothe getting his pipes? Elodin's class where Kvothe experiences difficulty with something for the first time?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

ChickenWing posted:

You don't post quotations of things you think are good though, which is my point

In the last entry I pointed out a well-written element in an otherwise standard chapter.

I've also quoted the best part so far, which is the first conversation between Kvothe and Abenthy the wizard.

quote:

I brought my hand out of my pocket. “Can you sell me anything for a penny?”

He seemed stuck between amusement and curiosity. “What are you looking for?”

“I’d like some lacillium.” We had performed Farien the Fair a dozen times in the last month, and it had filled my young mind with intrigue and assassination.

“Are you expecting someone to poison you?” he said, somewhat taken aback.

“Not really. But it seems to me that if you wait around until you know you need an antidote, it’s probably too late to pick one up.”

“I suppose I could sell you a penny’s worth,” he said. “That would be about a dose for a person your size. But it’s dangerous stuff in its own right. It only cures certain poisons. You can hurt yourself if you take it at the wrong time.”

“Oh,” I said. “I didn’t know that.” In the play it was touted as an infallible cure-all.

Abenthy tapped his lips thoughtfully. “Can you answer me a question in the meantime?” I nodded. “Whose troupe is that?”

“In a way it’s mine,” I said. “But in another way, it’s my father’s because he runs the show and points which way the wagons go. But it’s Baron Greyfallow’s too, because he’s our patron. We’re Lord Greyfallow’s Men.”

The old man gave me an amused look. “I’ve heard of you. Good troupe. Good reputation.”

I nodded, not seeing any point in false modesty.

This is one of the few instances of wit and cleverness in a book that exalts wit and cleverness.

e:

SpacePig posted:

Also, what is the next chapter? I can't remember the exact order of events, and I'd like to know which section you're getting to here that you think might pass muster in your system. Kvothe getting his pipes? Elodin's class where Kvothe experiences difficulty with something for the first time?

Kvothe getting patched up after being whipped.

It's the only time the novel convinces the reader that Kvothe is deprived and underprivileged, but intelligent and driven.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 18, 2016

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

It's the only time the novel convinces the reader me, because I know better than to generalize all readers, that Kvothe is deprived and underprivileged, but intelligent and driven.

FTFY

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Readers aren't convinced that Kvothe is underprivileged but formidably intelligent because that's not what the boos shows 90% of the time. The book mostly presents Kvothe as a roguish, self-aggrandizing brat, and thus convinces the reader of that. He lacks money, but is an extremely well-educated and of many talents, so he's not deprived. He's skilled and quick-thinking, but that's not the same thing as intelligence and determination.

The next chapter has an exchange that convinces the reader that Kvothe is indeed formidable. The rest of the book undercuts that, obviously.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 18, 2016

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Readers aren'tI am not convinced that Kvothe is underprivileged but formidably intelligent because that's not what the boos shows 90% of the time. The book mostly presents Kvothe as a roguish, self-aggrandizing brat, and thus convinces the reader of that. He lacks money, but is an extremely well-educated and of many talents, so he's not deprived. He's skilled and quick-thinking, but that's not the same thing as intelligence and determination.

The next chapter has an exchange that convinces the reader that Kvothe is indeed formidable. The rest of the book undercuts that, obviously.

Once again, you made an error. Took care of you.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

jivjov posted:

Once again, you made an error. Took care of you.

Your error is that you're offended by people claiming to tell the truth, and thus cannot consider if they're actually telling the truth.

Anyone who reads the books and pays attention will notice that Kvothe is a self-aggrandizing, omnicompetent rogue. That is what the story is about. This is the truth.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Your error is that you're offended by people claiming to tell the truth, and thus cannot consider if they're actually telling the truth.

Anyone who reads the books will notice that Kvothe is a self-aggrandizing, omnicompetent rogue. That is what the story is about. This is the truth.

No, I am offended by people who decide that their own personal experience is representative of everyone else's. I am offended by people that take their interpretations and put them forth as objective truth. I would respect you a whole lot more if you stopped doing that poo poo.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 18, 2016

• Locked thread