Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Robo Reagan posted:

Glancing at the classes, mercenary is the way to go for non int/faith quick dodgy dudes right?

Apparently even the Knight can dodge roll like a pro so you're good to go with any melee I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I just realised that I'm more excited to see whatever the new hub area/safe space is and what its music is like than for the rest of the game right now.

I think Majula changed me.

Orv
May 4, 2011

turtlecrunch posted:

I also look forward to the game crashing all the time on PC for anyone who makes the mistake of not choosing the best class, as has been rumored.

It was a pretty limited issue among the fairly large amount of people that got early PC copies, so it shouldn't be everyone if they didn't fix it.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Steve2911 posted:

I just realised that I'm more excited to see whatever the new hub area/safe space is and what its music is like than for the rest of the game right now.

I think Majula changed me.

I got spoiled for that. I wish I hadn't.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm gonna miss Majula. It had a comfy, if a bit melancholic, vibe to it once it got filled with more misfits. Also it had a nice orange color scheme.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Robo Reagan posted:

Glancing at the classes, mercenary is the way to go for non int/faith quick dodgy dudes right?

Knight or Warrior, believe it or not. Knight is better if you're leveling Attunement, Warrior is better if you aren't. This is all for very long-term build stuff and they're all within a few points of each other, so it's not a huge deal, but that's how the math works out. (Knight has low Luck so non-Luck builds save points there; Warrior has low Attunement, so builds that don't care about spell slots or FP save points there.)

There's a calculator you can use here: https://battlecalculator.com/dark-souls-3-class-selector/

Disregard this entirely if you're more interested in what weapon you start with and don't care that much for "PvP meta build maximum efficiency."

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
is this game playable on kb+m

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Robo Reagan posted:

Knight is probably the better melee option (stat wise) but it won't make much of a difference unless you really care about min-maxing.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

MrLonghair posted:

Whatever DS2 PC has.

So cheat all you want, just don't touch the souls?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
raced home, bid farewell to my girlfriend and started the preload a scant 1.25 hrs before release. steam is getting 700kbs and I want to die.

Orv
May 4, 2011

General Morden posted:

Technically.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

General Morden posted:

I don't think anyone here has played the PC version yet, but speaking from experience from DS2, it's... playable but the game was clearly made to be played with a controller. That said, some people here say they do great in Dark Souls 2 with kb/m so who knows.

(I'm not even mentioning Dark Souls 1, which has notoriously awful kb/m controls, but I'm just assuming they've learned their lesson.)

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Just get a steam controller. Steam is doing a deal with it

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

General Morden posted:

Playable, yes. After doing your own configuration.
I wouldn't recommend it though, it's like... playing Star Craft with a Nintendo 64 controller, yes you could do it, but oh god why.

Orv
May 4, 2011

ZZZorcerer posted:

I wouldn't recommend it though, it's like... playing Star Craft with a Nintendo 64 controller, yes you could do it, but oh god why.

I spent a not okay amount of time with the PS2 version of Red Alert, I still have nightmares.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gahmah posted:

3 1/2 hours to go at work, bought the game on steam, have steam link, still thinking about buying it on ps4 just to avoid the latency, am I crazy?

What do you mean "to avoid the latency" ?

Wouldn't PS4 have more latency than PC?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I just want to say gently caress this remaining hour. I want Dark Souls III and I want it now.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

What do you mean "to avoid the latency" ?

Wouldn't PS4 have more latency than PC?

I think they mean the stream latency you can get on the Steam Link, especially if you're running it over wifi.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

General Morden posted:

If your mouse has more than 3 buttons and you're willing to reconfigure like 90 % of the default keybinds.

e: I haven't actually seen what the defaults are for DS3 but I'm just going to assume From has no idea what they're doing

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

General Morden posted:

This is a joke right?

Its the 3rd game in the series FFS. Yes you can but you really shouldn't.

Harrow posted:

I think they mean the stream latency you can get on the Steam Link, especially if you're running it over wifi.

Ah, if you've gotta play on a TV then yeah probably go PS4. But PC + Monitor all the way. Gonna be playing souls at 100fps. :)

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Orv posted:

I spent a not okay amount of time with the PS2 version of Red Alert, I still have nightmares.

That sounds awful :gonk:

I have no idea why they decided to release a bunch of RTS for consoles, those were darker times

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Ah, if you've gotta play on a TV then yeah probably go PS4. But PC + Monitor all the way. Gonna be playing souls at 100fps. :)

I just connected my PC to my TV with a really long HDMI cable and I'm switching between a Steam controller and DS4 over Bluetooth, works pretty well.

Orv
May 4, 2011

ZZZorcerer posted:

I have no idea why they decided to release a bunch of RTS for consoles, those were darker times

My memory betrayed me, it was even for the PSX, not the 2. :barf:

panda clue
May 23, 2014
you get 40% off the steam controller for bundling it with this game. if you're one of those people that absolutely can't stand spending money unless you get a sick deal, this is your chance to finally own a controller. no dont play this game without one you loving idiot you'll hate yourself. yes this applies to all souls games, no they arent going to change it no matter how much you bitch about it.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

ZZZorcerer posted:

I'd like to think it's because Diablo on PS1 turned out better than expected, so other companies figured it would carry over to the RTS genre.

edit: nah, I'm wrong, Diablo came later/exactly the same time as the console RTS experiment, around '97-'98

Grey Fox fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 11, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I've been using a keyboard to play Souls games for so long I do worse with a controller :frog:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

I've been using a keyboard to play Souls games for so long I do worse with a controller :frog:

I play Batman and Assasins Creed with M+KB so I'm not quite as deviant but still crazy.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Harrow posted:

Knight or Warrior, believe it or not. Knight is better if you're leveling Attunement, Warrior is better if you aren't. This is all for very long-term build stuff and they're all within a few points of each other, so it's not a huge deal, but that's how the math works out. (Knight has low Luck so non-Luck builds save points there; Warrior has low Attunement, so builds that don't care about spell slots or FP save points there.)

There's a calculator you can use here: https://battlecalculator.com/dark-souls-3-class-selector/

Disregard this entirely if you're more interested in what weapon you start with and don't care that much for "PvP meta build maximum efficiency."

I threw a few lazy "This build probably won't be Optimal™ but I want to use X Y and Z" numbers at that, and every time time Knight and Pyromancer was tied.

Just as I knew in my heart.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Is LASERTAG still going to be the goon password for buddying up?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

turtlecrunch posted:

It's my birthday and my friend gave me season pass and an extra copy because he knew I wanted to give it to someone else too. :allears: Of course that guy won't have the preload done in time, but I look forward to forming the ultimate ganksquad.

Love can bloom on the battlefield.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
So glad I can finally stop trying to enjoy DS2. The iron keep is the single most bullshit area in the entire game. every single other area has bonfires out the rear end, except for this one, which is huge and long and has a ton of bullshit enemies. also it's configured so it's impossible to just run through to the boss door. the boss is pretty easy but just getting to him is such total loving garbage, only exacerbated by the loving belfry bonfire that means you need to run through the bellfry and often get invaded before you can actually even start retrying the level again. oh dont forget the lava buckets that can trap you without warning meaning you need to restart the level also.

just getting this off my chest before it becomes 100% irrelevant.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I'm playing Dark Souls III!

So long!

hahhahahahaha....hahah-who... who am I? I can't...What?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Gologle posted:

Is LASERTAG still going to be the goon password for buddying up?

Yes but you should probably leave it off for general invasions / bluecop / co-op unless you specifically post here and say "hey somebody co-op with me on boss X, using LASERTAG"

May be that with the fresh release of DS3 (and not being PS4 exclusive) there's so many goons you could play through with LASERTAG and just happen to co-op or invade with goons when it happens, but odds are you'll see less co-op by far that way, so I'd apply it selectively.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Walrus posted:

So glad I can finally stop trying to enjoy DS2. The iron keep is the single most bullshit area in the entire game. every single other area has bonfires out the rear end, except for this one, which is huge and long and has a ton of bullshit enemies. also it's configured so it's impossible to just run through to the boss door. the boss is pretty easy but just getting to him is such total loving garbage, only exacerbated by the loving belfry bonfire that means you need to run through the bellfry and often get invaded before you can actually even start retrying the level again. oh dont forget the lava buckets that can trap you without warning meaning you need to restart the level also.

Half of this is untrue and the other half is you being bad.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

From the last thread:

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

This rules dude. I'm loving exhausted just watching you make it over nine hours and you sped it up! Insane determination to not run yourself ragged and take a break

Yeah... I don't want anyone getting confused and thinking I made this handsome fellow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2b1pH0ZW68

I just posted it cuz my pal Frankie doesn't post much outside the Barkley 2 thread and has been specifically avoiding the DS3 threads due to s-s-s-s-spoilers. Apparently someone really liked it.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Walrus posted:

g

i

t

g

u

d

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

ZZZorcerer posted:

It wasn't nearly THAT bad but the game is absolutely made with a controller in mind.

I had no issues playing DS2 with kb+m after some fiddling, not too worried about DS3.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im trying to talk myself into buying dark souls III because now that I have a steam controller I feel like I could maybe one day beat this, where for dark souls 1 essentially I just got to the capra demon and stopped playing

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

more

hour

Why can't this be out already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I started replaying Dark Souls a month ago in preparation for 3 but I didn't think it was coming out until tomorrow and I'm still 3 DLC bosses and 1 Gwyn away from beating it. :negative:

ZZZorcerer posted:

I actually had a lot of fun playing split screen Starcraft against my brother on the Nintendo 64. :shobon: