Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDRXgDDR-oM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Open Source Idiom posted:

Which is great, because I really don't like him all that much -- getting with Rebecca just ends up supporting his own superiority complex, and doesn't actually solve his problems. Though he's less intense about it, Rebecca is to Gregg what Josh is (was?) to Rebecca.

I actually think the way Greg has acted re: Rebecca has been fairly healthy, he's just ended up seeming worse because he has repeatedly been the only person to see when she was lying

But in this ep for example he quite clearly lays out his emotional position to her, even refusing her advances and sending her away

Also I suspect his arrogance over his own intelligence comes from being the smartest person in his group where all the friends are hot dudes with rockin bods. He probably sees his intelligence as his primary (possibly only) positive feature.

I also expect he's very used to girls he likes preferring Josh, we've seen hints of this being the norm, including Josh's alarm last week at the suggestion that Greg is hot - I think this will play into the next two eps and how Josh reacts to Rebecca and Greg getting freaky

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Open Source Idiom posted:

Hmm. I'm kind of shocked that they went to Greg so quickly, which I think puts the kibosh on him being endgame.

Which is great, because I really don't like him all that much -- getting with Rebecca just ends up supporting his own superiority complex, and doesn't actually solve his problems. Though he's less intense about it, Rebecca is to Gregg what Josh is (was?) to Rebecca.

This post would make sense if you literally ignore the growth and healthy decisions they both made prior to this. I was getting ready to make an effort post but Phoon has said it all already.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Zaggitz posted:

Looking forward to some butterflies getting smashed next week.

butterflies getting smashed is the dirties thing I've ever heard on TV as horrifying way to explain sex.

Heavy Boobs is going to be the shows break out song.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

sbaldrick posted:

Heavy Boobs is going to be the shows break out song.

It might actually be. It already has quarter of a million views on Blooms channel.
I wonder what's the ratio of sharing that song. A lot of women are sending it to their friends because they can relate to it, "look at those poor girls my back hurts watching that."
But I bet there are some people who are more like: "Hey bro, check out those giant jiggling boobs. Just ignore the text or turn of the sound."

Being male, I may not personally have that problem, but I know how my sister keeps getting terrible back aches for many years, so I can sorta relate to that, I guess.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I've been listening to Villain in My Own Story a lot lately

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Air is lava! posted:

It might actually be. It already has quarter of a million views on Blooms channel.
I wonder what's the ratio of sharing that song. A lot of women are sending it to their friends because they can relate to it, "look at those poor girls my back hurts watching that."
But I bet there are some people who are more like: "Hey bro, check out those giant jiggling boobs. Just ignore the text or turn of the sound."

Being male, I may not personally have that problem, but I know how my sister keeps getting terrible back aches for many years, so I can sorta relate to that, I guess.

No woman whose seen that song doesn't have a look of horror and pain on their face.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Seriously, that song is painful to watch.

I really hope it didn't take too long to film because goddamn they must have been hurting so much.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It was the Anaconda of boobs

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

That song is painful but also brilliant.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
heveh

heveh

heveh

heveh

HEVEBOOBS

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
In case your wondering, No new episode this week.
But the last two episodes are coming up the next two weeks. See you in a week I guess.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The trailer for next week's is tonnes of Rebecca Greg sex. That is not a joke.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Finally caught up with the last two episodes. So much character development! And Dreamghosts was amazing!

I'm very surprised nobody was goony enough to argue about Rebecca dreaming about things she shouldn't have known about -- her parents' conversation and her friends worrying about her. I was hoping they'd explain it (at least the first part) as something she'd overheard but blocked from her memory. But since they didn't really address it, I'll just go ahead and say the Dreamghost was really magical.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I actually think we did discuss that. Well, she is incredibly delusional. As you've said, it's quite likely that she actually listened to that conversation from behind the door and blocked it from memory because it conflicted with her perceptions.
But the other part, yeah that was kinda weird, especially since that vision was technically from the future. But maybe she just retconed her own dream, when she saw them there. She's not exactly a trustworthy narrator. It makes sense if we assume that the episode is actually how she remembers everything a few days later.

But she is really smart and her brain is wired in a weird way so maybe she's actually psychic.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

They sort of handwaved that away with the dreamghost song line about how it's not clear if she's imagined or really magic, but let's keep it vague, it's more interesting that way.

Paraphrased obv.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

If gaining key plot points from hallucination ghosts was allowed in hit film The Dark Night Rises then it's allowed in Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. On a serious note I think it's similar to how the songs happen in the show's narrative. For example I don't think Greg sang 'Settle for Me ' to Rebecca but that is effectively what he must have said or expressed when he asked her out originally. Alternatively maybe these are repressed memories for Rebecca and she did listen to her parents argue through the door but wasn't ready to accept her dad would do that. It doesn't really matter though because the story is about big emotions and heart not tight plot.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, the show acknowledges it's pushing the boundaries with that stuff so I'm content to give them the pass. I'm more than willing to just assume that Rebecca is seeing/experiencing things differently and just processing it through these crazy songs and hallucinations. She heard her parents but lied to herself about it. She eaves dropped on her friends or Paula filled her in later. She turns people's words into song. I'm willing to just go with it and agree not to think too hard.

I'm a LITTLE unsure how to make sense of it when like Heather sings "settle for me" to Greg without Rebecca there. I guess I'm willing to accept that the singing is kind of a symptom of mental unhealthiness and Greg has his own problems. I don't know. Maybe some day the show will get too unbeliaveable for me but for now I'm content to play along.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Settle for me is mostly Rebecca reframing the situation to make it about Josh imo

e: the settle for me reprise represents that greg and rebecca are true soulmates 4ever obviously

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Phoon posted:

Settle for me is mostly Rebecca reframing the situation to make it about Josh imo

e: the settle for me reprise represents that greg and rebecca are true soulmates 4ever obviously

I'm not sure about that because Greg makes it pretty clear that he realises he is second fiddle to Josh. The songs are definitely a layer of abstraction away from what is actually happening though!

:agreed: On the second point because they are and I am not totally concerned the second season might have them run their course, NOT AT ALL!

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

STAC Goat posted:

I guess I'm willing to accept that the singing is kind of a symptom of mental unhealthiness and Greg has his own problems. I don't know. Maybe some day the show will get too unbeliaveable for me but for now I'm content to play along.

Everyone has brain tumors, a la the Scrubs musical episode. Or maybe there's a gas leak in West Covina.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Rebecca has contagious brain parasites. Greg got infected when she first kissed him. Same goes for Valencia. And Trent was a normal well adjusted person before meeting her again. Also I bet Josh gets a song next episode.

To be honest, I really don't want a deeper explanation for these songs. It's basically exactly what Bloom explained to Colbert. The music is a way for us to look inside the characters heads in a fun way and they express that something is to emotional for words. Some things are a little weird, but tearing apart the concept of musicals is pointless.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 5, 2016

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
At the end of the series it turns out the whole thing was an elaborate dream ghost dream

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

everyone is a ghost

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I watched this with a friend and she recognised the Glee ghost and I recognised the Ricki Lake ghost and that is my dream ghost story.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Air is lava! posted:

Rebecca has contagious brain parasites. Greg got infected when she first kissed him. Same goes for Valencia. And Trent was a normal well adjusted person before meeting her again. Also I bet Josh gets a song next episode.

To be honest, I really don't want a deeper explanation for these songs. It's basically exactly what Bloom explained to Colbert. The music is a way for us to look inside the characters heads in a fun way and they express that something is to emotional for words. Some things are a little weird, but tearing apart the concept of musicals is pointless.

No, I don't want an explantation. The dream ghost line of "let's keep it vague, it's more fun that way" was the perfect "lampshade" for it. We all signed on with a musical about a crazy person. You give a regular wink and a nod to the absurdity of it. That's all we need.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Yeah seriously, don't overthink it you nerds.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Don't think about it too hard, too too hard.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
There's a new song out.
While I think the song itself is a bit powerless, that is totally appropriate. It's probably the cutest song of the season.

Can't wait for that episode.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 9, 2016

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I want that shower curtain.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Air is lava! posted:

There's a new song out.
While I think the song itself is a bit powerless, that is totally appropriate. It's probably the cutest song of the season.

Oh my God, I think I like it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sex cocoon

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

I gave you a UTI! :haw:

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Karate kid Flashdance had me in stitches.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
They got this on Network TV

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Hector is kind of a douche.

Zaggitz posted:

Karate kid Flashdance had me in stitches.
And unlike those movies, there wasn't a stunt double.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Apr 12, 2016

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
This was a great episode.

I love that doctor.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Asiina posted:

I love that doctor.

It's great when nepotism gets results. It must feel weird to talk about your wives privates like that.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

adhuin posted:

I gave you a UTI! :haw:

Watching this now and this is the best goddamn moment in the show by far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I'm after a gif of her waking up in the hospital and immediately fake sleeping

• Locked thread