Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Luceid posted:

My other favourite was getting a few instruments together to synch up the Back to The Future theme to hit the first crescendo just as the ship enters warp in multiplayer. i'm not even kidding when i say the bulk of our playtime was probably spent looking for instruments or dank new songs to pipe into the game.

have any games other than Starbound and Lord of the Rings Online nailed .abc support? Whenever I ate poo poo in LotRO a friend of mine would always drop everything, sprint to my corpse, and play Dust in the Wind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Locke
Dec 31, 2007

Luceid posted:

the one gift to the world starbound gave us was being able to honk out "all the small things" on a harmonica to your friends and there was nothing they could do to stop you. more games please add .abc file support.

This feature is the only thing I don't regret about purchasing Starbound, I've learned so much about video game music formats and midi editing thanks to this and it's more fun than playing the game.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Patware posted:

have any games other than Starbound and Lord of the Rings Online nailed .abc support? Whenever I ate poo poo in LotRO a friend of mine would always drop everything, sprint to my corpse, and play Dust in the Wind.

Archeage I think?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

LotRO loving dominated .abc because it let you play your own jams. I vividly remember spending hours learning how to play In the Hall of the Mountain King

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2014/12/10/stop-thinking-of-no-man-s-sky-as-a-multiplayer-game.aspx

I'm getting starbound flashbacks from this interview...

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
How often did Starbound devs tell people to have lower expectations, instead of just causing lower expectations?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I can't believe how much I love Chucklefish-published titles, not just in comparison to Starbs, but in comparison to the rest of my Steam library. Both Risk of Rain and Stardew Valley are incredibly addictive.

I guess maybe Tiy DOES know good stuff when he sees it? :smug:

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
Counterpoint: The Wanderlust titles.

Stardew Valley is a wonderful little game for sure. It's also pretty funny that one dude managed to deliver a complete game with several years worth of work in it while Starbound continues to flail around with no direction with a full team working on it.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

It's almost like too many cooks spoil the pot, and also the head cook has had a bit too much to drink and is violently beating the sous chef for doing their job too well.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i doubt too many cooks had anything to do with starbound being bad actually

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I remember a year or two ago when I reinstalled Starbound all excited to see the big, cool changes they had made since release only to find out all the progression was gated by bullshit unfun dungeons and terrible boss fights.

I'm glad to know that it's apparently gone downhill from there.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

oddium posted:

True, I guess a more appropriate metaphor might be "the head cook won't stop pissing and making GBS threads in the soup but all of the sous chefs are powerless to stop him because they're living in the restaurant on work visas."
I'm going to shoehorns cooks and broth into this analogy and you can't stop me.

Fish Fry Andy posted:

I remember a year or two ago when I reinstalled Starbound all excited to see the big, cool changes they had made since release only to find out all the progression was gated by bullshit unfun dungeons and terrible boss fights.

I have good news, 1.0 is coming "soon" and everything will be different! (nothing will be different)

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Fish Fry Andy posted:

A remember reinstalling the game a year ago and it just crashing to desktop each time.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

oddium posted:

Some of the stories in here pretty firmly point the blame not at the assorted cooks but at the head chef.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

A remember reinstalling the game a year ago and it just crashing to desktop each time.

I envy you.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

At least if they stop making updates after 1.0 then mods can get better without being invalidated all the time.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

randombattle posted:

At least if they stop making updates after 1.0 then mods can get better without being invalidated all the time.

Would someone get in trouble if they worked on a rebalance mod and called it "Funmode"?

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Only the good kind of trouble

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Wow they really have made some really major improvements when it comes to making their game fun.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Shoehead posted:

Would someone get in trouble if they worked on a rebalance mod and called it "Funmode"?

Is it really a mod if you're making an entirely new game from the ground up?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Good luck trying to make funmode. Slow backwards walking and starving are now hardcoded. Any attempted changes just makes it so the chuckle fish laugh plays when you walk backwards.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Just make your own drat game. Move on, and heal

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

no

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

IronicDongz posted:

don't victim shame

Seven Force
Nov 9, 2005

WARNING!

BOSS IS APPROACHING!!!

SEVEN FORCE

--ACTIONS--

SHITPOSTING

LOVE LOVE DANCING

IronicDongz posted:

I'm kinda tempted to tbh

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Cicadas! posted:

I'm going to shoehorns cooks and broth into this analogy and you can't stop me.

A broth is similar to pee

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Hmm yes boiling piss would be good way to play star bound

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

IronicDongz posted:

Just make your own drat game.

I AM

iuvian
Dec 27, 2003
darwin'd

Why am I just now hearing how insane the No Man Sky guys are now

That interview was loving gold, Molyneux quality performance art.

And they somehow managed to con out a Sony deal? Genius

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
No Man's Sky worried me from day one.
"Okay guys, we only have 3 minutes to show you our game, so we really can't linger. Anyway, here's 2 minutes and 30 seconds of us panning through a starfield to show how many stars you can visit."

They spend so much time talking about how many planets you can visit and so little time talking about what you can do on them. I don't get it. I guess the sheer numbers of planets you can visit would be impressive if we had literally no understanding of what procedurally-generated content meant? You might as well scroll through the starfield map in Starbound and expect us to be impressed, or fly around in Minecraft's infinite world. But literally every time I see NMS brought up it's just them talking about how big their world is.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

They both benefited from their great yet vague ideas, but Starbound was "give us money now and you'll see these ideas manifest" whereas it seems like NMS will be "here's the product of our ideas, give us money or don't"

I mean it may be as big of a disaster, but it'll happen much more quickly if it is

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

No Man's Sky Guy posted:

But that's okay for us because it will never happen. I guess the whole of the entire community could organize to go to one specific spot and then they would find that they weren't all there at the same time. That would be ridiculous.
That sounds like exactly the sort of thing I would expect people to try right away. That's not a "they might but it'd be ridiculous to do so", that's a thing people will absolutely try to do.

Like I get that his ~vision~ isn't about it but people will try to do it anyway.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
what the hell is nms about anyway

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

Exploring a galaxy, but not with friends, nope, that one thing most people want to do, can't do it, sorry...

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

About $60 dollars... I'll be here all week! *giant vaudeville hook extends from off stage, eviscerates me, drags corpse away*

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Well... There's go's what little hype I had for the game. Thanks for saving me 60 bucks thread on SA about a bad game.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
NMS stank of Spore from the moment I first learned of it, and nothing they've done since then has dissuaded that opinion. But at least in Spore I could make a penis starship blow up planets with bombs.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
edit: Ok, so it does have multiplayer. Eh, still..what is there to DO in it? just..fly around and scan things?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I want NMS to be a full and awesome game, much like I want Starbound to be good. I also want to see world hunger and the destruction of our planet ended in my lifetime. I also want, like, a really big dongus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

BillmasterCozb posted:

No Mans Sky: No multiplayer. Have fun cruising along a gigantic, empty galaxy while you..uh...scan animals and give them names???

so..it's space Adam and Eve, minus Eve. I hope this game fails.

I can understand not wanting MMO style space battles and things but cruising with a couple of buddies to discover neat things would hardly break "MUH VISION" too much given it's about finding cool poo poo.

"OOOH look a cool thing, I can't wait to screenshot this, upload it to a host, caption it, post it to a forum and have no one caring"

• Locked thread