Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Loomer posted:

I hear there might be a plan to build in HTC Vive support.

That wouldn't surprise me. It'd probably need a few more runs at optimizing the game before VR would work in anything but an empty world though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Hey a pistol! Commissar time comes closer!
:commissar:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Oh hey, we actually got hotfix notes this time;

quote:

Update 007:
-fixed crash on ilcompiler initialization
-improved character rotation control when standing on ground
-fixed advanced tools
-fixed inventory bug when player was away from base
-improved lighting

lilspooky posted:

Hey a pistol! Commissar time comes closer!
:commissar:

Wait, what?

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
Wow, if they really fixed the player inventory when past the draw distance thing, this'll be the fastest turnaround I've seen on a bug report (only 4 weeks)!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

XkyRauh posted:

Wow, if they really fixed the player inventory when past the draw distance thing, this'll be the fastest turnaround I've seen on a bug report (only 4 weeks)!

I swear they break things just as I'm trying something new with them. The bug that erases hotbars on merge block separation is a real nuiscance with the little glider on the back of my Caterpillar.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

The inventory thing was a real bugger, though. It used to be if you traveled the server's viewdistance (default around 15km) from an inventory object and then returned, you'd be unable to interact with the inventory because of a server de-sync, and you'd have to reconnect. This made extended mining trips annoying, as you'd have to refresh your connection to unload your cargo. It seems to have been fixed now, which is great!

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales
Is there a server run by Goons?

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Tempus Thales posted:

Is there a server run by Goons?

Unfortunately, I don't think so, but I'm hopeful that someday, maybe.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

64bitrobot posted:

Unfortunately, I don't think so, but I'm hopeful that someday, maybe.

There were two run by Literally Kermit? or someone? but they're mostly dead. There's little to actually DO yet, sadly. Especially not in Survival.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Rhjamiz posted:

There were two run by Literally Kermit? or someone? but they're mostly dead. There's little to actually DO yet, sadly. Especially not in Survival.

There's plenty to do in survival for Space engineers I feel. Depending on what sort of challenge you want to make for yourself.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

The main issue with the last goon MP server I played on was that everyone was so far away from eachother. If there was an easy way to get everyone toward a central "hub" in space or whatever, then I imagine it'd be a bit more engaging. For me at least I guess.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Firos posted:

The main issue with the last goon MP server I played on was that everyone was so far away from eachother. If there was an easy way to get everyone toward a central "hub" in space or whatever, then I imagine it'd be a bit more engaging. For me at least I guess.

Jump Drives have pretty much fixed that issue. And yeah, we used to have a goon-run server but I dont think it has been used/updated in a fair while.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Firos posted:

Speed of light mod, someone calls out their gps coords everyone else straps a pilot seat, reactor and gyro on the biggest engine they've got and fly to that person. Unless you're playing survival then I guess you're hosed.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

I mean poo poo, so long as there was someone who was willing to set up a faction that anyone can join so they can use the med bays in the aforementioned "hub" then that's most of the issue resolved.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006

Did you watch the preview they put at the end of the latest vid? They showcase some kind of pistol.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Is there any way to save/load creations so I could like build something once and never have to build it again

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Phi230 posted:

Is there any way to save/load creations so I could like build something once and never have to build it again

Target your creation and press Ctrl+B to make a blueprint of it. Maybe name it first though to make it easier to find than "Small Ship 3310". To access saved blueprints (and subscribed ones from the Workshop) press Ctrl+F10.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Name your creation in the Info tab. :)

@64bitrobot, what exactly constitutes "plenty to do" in Survival? Beyond "clean up the mess that the buggy multiplayer code makes of your randomly-exploding ships" and "find new veins of ore as you consume all the resources in a given area," there's not really all that much to do.

Not saying it's not fun--it's just not what I'd call "plenty."

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Rhjamiz posted:

It was Zennik but he's been sort of away for a while now.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I'd offer the server I host but I tend to enjoy playing by myself with few mods. :kiddo: I think there's plenty to do in survival, going on mining runs and building bigger and bigger ships, expanding your base, diversifying your fleet, etc. It's buggy as hell but still comfy, in a way. I've never felt like I was out of things do to and I must have put tens of hours into it. But then, I started playing with survival multiplayer so I'm not used to creative, I guess.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

XkyRauh posted:

Name your creation in the Info tab. :)

@64bitrobot, what exactly constitutes "plenty to do" in Survival? Beyond "clean up the mess that the buggy multiplayer code makes of your randomly-exploding ships" and "find new veins of ore as you consume all the resources in a given area," there's not really all that much to do.

Not saying it's not fun--it's just not what I'd call "plenty."

I have somehow acquired over 250 hours playing with my friend, so there's apparently something there. It's pretty much always just us challenging ourselves. 'Alright, let's build a base in this asteroid, what do we need? Okay we got that. Let's build a large ship to carry some stuff to another asteroid base. Okay, we did that.' Then more recently. 'Alright, we built this base in the asteroid, let's build a shuttle that can make it from here to the moon base we were building earlier. Okay, let's do that again, but carry some cargo. Okay, let's build a giant rig to mine ice so we can have hydrogen silos.' And so on and so forth.

It's like building awesome cool poo poo in creative, but we feel much more attachment to our creations because we're doing it in survival.

In the end the challenge of playing in survival is what lead me to my first space/atmosphere shuttle ship. The design has evolved since I first built it but drat if we didn't love the thing as we were exploring.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

64bitrobot posted:

I have somehow acquired over 250 hours playing with my friend, so there's apparently something there. It's pretty much always just us challenging ourselves. 'Alright, let's build a base in this asteroid, what do we need? Okay we got that. Let's build a large ship to carry some stuff to another asteroid base. Okay, we did that.' Then more recently. 'Alright, we built this base in the asteroid, let's build a shuttle that can make it from here to the moon base we were building earlier. Okay, let's do that again, but carry some cargo. Okay, let's build a giant rig to mine ice so we can have hydrogen silos.' And so on and so forth.

It's like building awesome cool poo poo in creative, but we feel much more attachment to our creations because we're doing it in survival.

In the end the challenge of playing in survival is what lead me to my first space/atmosphere shuttle ship. The design has evolved since I first built it but drat if we didn't love the thing as we were exploring.

You sound like the kind of guy I want to engineer some space with.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

We've had the same experience! :)

I'm up to a bit over 1000 hours, myself. I agree with everything you've said--I just don't think there's any actual progression. It's all emergent gameplay. :)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

XkyRauh posted:

We've had the same experience! :)

I'm up to a bit over 1000 hours, myself. I agree with everything you've said--I just don't think there's any actual progression. It's all emergent gameplay. :)

Pretty much. All I've been doing is setting myself up with a set of working vehicles and subcraft ready to go for if/when they start making proper progressive content.

And various-sized armored warships.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Firos posted:

You sound like the kind of guy I want to engineer some space with.

I haven't played in a while since my friend hasn't been hosting his server, so I've been hoping there might be a dedicated good server at somepoint that would fit this playstyle. Maybe a couple of planets, some asteroid belts, plenty of room to explore and find stuff, see what sort of factions/trading evolves.

I've been toying around with the idea in my head that I want to build some scenarios, but I haven't had much of a chance yet, would anyone be interested in playing them if they were made?

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Well, I for some reason enjoy doing a crash land > build base camp > find/gather resources > better gathering/building ships > eventually escape into space type game, and then expanding from there. I also haven't played for a few months, and would be happy to host a server for a handful of people, but unfortunately it wouldn't be dedicated one.

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

Spookydonut posted:

It was Zennik but he's been sort of away for a while now.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3645798

Not away. Just busy as hell.

It's down to 1 server at the moment due to lack of interest(probably something to do with my being away).

Biggest problem is people poking me and letting me know when there are problems. It's been mostly Tuxide for the past couple of months.

If anyone wants to chip in and let me know when it's having problems or needs to be patched, that would smooth things along a bit.

Also, ideas for how to make things more fun?
I am perpetually entertained by building stuff to then smash into other stuff. So, having feedback on how to help make the server(s) enjoyable is always appreciated.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
There's still some very annoying issues with dedicated server too. Like a bunch programmable block things simply not working, for example. Also, batteries are better but still very odd.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

A server that somehow started with players on it, having to co operate to get into to space, to then gather more resources. That sounds very fun to me. I don't know about anyone else.

Mercutio Martino
Feb 13, 2015

Knight of the Sovereign Military Order of Sealand

Firos posted:

A server that somehow started with players on it, having to co operate to get into to space, to then gather more resources. That sounds very fun to me. I don't know about anyone else.

Heck, I think a lot of players would be willing to do that. What I don't mind is when people don't stick to their specific crew jobs (mining, flying, construction) and the whole operation turns into a cluster gently caress which I'm sure you've encountered.

Maybe once people got into space, or even before, you put people into their own factions and kind of wall of certain jobs to those factions. Need poo poo hauled? Call those guys. Need 10,000,000,000 m3 of Ice? Call the planetary miners. Have a faction of police who just cruise around. Last but not least the pirates, bunch of lawful evil players whose job it is to gently caress up people's days. I like to think all those could make for a progressive narrative, but in the MP servers my friends run every new pubby applies to our faction, is denied, makes their own, fucks off to an asteroid and does nothing with their hoard of scrap and rock, then begs to join us, does (against my wishes) and proceeds to gently caress up our whole operation by crashing into things or throwing their entire collection of garbage into our neatly managed inventory system. There are still folks who don't know what ownership is and wonder why their floating space tub was shot to ribbons by my defense systems. [/rant]

Firos posted:

Well, I for some reason enjoy doing a crash land > build base camp > find/gather resources > better gathering/building ships > eventually escape into space type game, and then expanding from there. I also haven't played for a few months, and would be happy to host a server for a handful of people, but unfortunately it wouldn't be dedicated one.

I'd be down for that all day.

Rhjamiz posted:

The programming block bugs me a little because it's effectively a chasm that gates off interesting interactions and functions behind the intimidating and steep cliff that is actual programming. I worry they're going to lean on that crutch for a long time without ever actually adding things to allow the layman to approximate those functions.

Very true, as I for one am daunted by the incomprehensible gibberish. However every single script I use from the workshop have become indispensable to me at this point, not only fr their functionality. The people who write these codes have built-in manuals and tutorial links right in the code, with a large block of text near the top that a layman can change around names or blocks to tailor it for highly specific or even alternate purposes, and then the moonspeak begins which should not be touched.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

I loved the script that you can get that makes it so that a solar farm follows the sun as it traverses the sky :allears:

I also love the idea of being part of a mining Corp trying to keep up with the demands of a refinery Corp. I might be up for starting a new world tonight if anyone else is interested? Or maybe some other day idk. Only mods I'd have on are some gun blocks, other armour blocks and a hyperdrive (jump drive turned to 11) block. All survival balanced.

Edit: Oh and also earthbreaker drill because that thing is a billion times better than the vanilla large ship drill.

Firos fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 11, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Firos posted:

I loved the script that you can get that makes it so that a solar farm follows the sun as it traverses the sky :allears:

This is exactly what didn't work for me last time I tried running a dedicated server. All the panels kept reporting 0 power generated to the programmer block even though batteries were filling. And batteries only really filled when checked to fill.

Becaause, batteries work really weird. Say, you have 10MW of solar power during day and a 5MW load. The batteries then show 5MW input and 5MW output during day, effectively not charging. This is fixed by clicking on the charge box, but then you have to cycle it somehow during day and night. However, the programmable block can't read the charge/discharge state of the battery, just toggle it, so there's no way to program it reliably.

This, coupled with the fact that you get really bad efficiency without rotating the panels (because that script doesn't work either) meant that I just ran the game instead on my pc.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Oh yeah, this was on a pc run server, so never had to deal with that dedicated server bugginess.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
There's no good way to speed up mod loading is there? Would like to host a server for me and a bud but the load time with all the mods I use is ridiculous.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

lilspooky posted:

There's no good way to speed up mod loading is there? Would like to host a server for me and a bud but the load time with all the mods I use is ridiculous.

Its one of the things they're apparently working on. They already did one pass at fixing it, but damned if you'd know the difference.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Ya no kidding. Oh well, here's to hoping it comes relatively soon. Got a buddy who picked it up last weekend when it was on sale and he seems to be enjoying it.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Is there any way to insta-build a blueprint in creative? I have a (huge) workshop framework that I want to mess with, but gently caress spending hours welding it. Any work arounds?

Griffon
May 14, 2003

You can copy (ctrl+c) and paste (ctrl+v) blueprints if you've turned on that option in your save game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC9gu8YfTns

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Anyone who wants to start a new world with me at some point over the next few days feel free to add Dadtoucher on steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
I've been tossin up Discords like it's nobodies business, would anyone be interested in one?

• Locked thread