Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Pumpkinreaper posted:

How often you get hit only affects room drops, so you could as likely get a heart as you would a chest/key. It doesn't affect what rarity and amount of chests you get in a stage.
Yo need to get keys to open those, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Pumpkinreaper posted:

How often you get hit only affects room drops, so you could as likely get a heart as you would a chest/key. It doesn't affect what rarity and amount of chests you get in a stage.

I agree that coolness should be displayed though.

Getting hit pretty clearly reduces the amount of weapons you will get over the course of a run, because you need keys to open the chests that exist on the map, and that's where the guns are.

Not that it matters, since if you do get that key and find a gun, it's probably the loving lowercase r.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
Nah, just instead you need to spend shells on keys.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
You also need to not get hit to earn casings.

Also, the shopkeeper might not have a key.

And even if you spend those casings on the key and open the chest, you probably get the goddamn Ring of Mimic Friendship.

e: I understand that getting hit = no money is only on a per-enemy basis, but that still stings when you're talking about high-value enemies that are dangerous, like the floor 1 knights or Lead Maidens. Personally I feel like the punishment for getting hit should just be losing health (that is what it's there for...), but not only that, now if you enter a room with a Lead Maiden and get hit, now you get loving nothing for your trouble.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 12, 2016

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

if you get hit by every enemy then you won't be playing long enough to spend more than your starting key

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

And even if you spend those casings on the key and open the chest, you probably get the goddamn Ring of Mimic Friendship.

e: I understand that getting hit = no money is only on a per-enemy basis, but that still stings when you're talking about high-value enemies that are dangerous, like the floor 1 knights or Lead Maidens. Personally I feel like the punishment for getting hit should just be losing health (that is what it's there for...), but not only that, now if you enter a room with a Lead Maiden and get hit, now you get loving nothing for your trouble.

If you think floor 1 knights are anything but a money pinata then you just haven't really grokked the game yet. And I don't mean like "get gud" or anything. It's literally impossible to be hit by those guys if you just circle strafe them.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
New patch

quote:

Patch 1.0.4
=====================================
Made key acquisition more reliable
Lowered the difficulty of the Treadnaught (explosive shot now has a minimum range, homing rocket is slightly slower, adds no longer lead their shots)
Fixed an issue where enemies could spawn in unreachable locations
Players can no longer teleport in coop while one player is interacting with a shrine or NPC
Players can no longer be set on fire while ethereal
Increased quality tier of the Fightsabre (less likely to spawn in low level chests)
Fixed an issue where collecting an NPC cell key while it was falling into a pit broke the key
Fixed an issue where the SMASH tent event could be interrupted by enemy gunfire
Fixed an issue where Lost Adventurer progress was not being tracked correctly
Fixed an issue where Gunsling King progress was being tracked twice per success
Fixed an issue where Great Hall progress notifications were popping up everytime the Breach loaded
Starter guns can no longer be used to reveal secret doors (hit VFX is now the normal wall hit effect)

Seems to address some issues people have been voicing.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 12, 2016

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

Well, then I guess you're right, you do need to git gud.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Impermanent posted:

If you think floor 1 knights are anything but a money pinata then you just haven't really grokked the game yet. And I don't mean like "get gud" or anything. It's literally impossible to be hit by those guys if you just circle strafe them.
They are, however, a great example of a very dull enemy. They're piss easy so you have no reason to use anything but your starting weapon on them, but it takes like around 20 shots or something to kill them. Shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot, reload, shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot, reload...

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I can beat the Knights fine, I was trying to illustrate a point. My runs typically end on the 3rd floor.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Pumpkinreaper posted:

Nah, just instead you need to spend shells on keys.

Keys are neither drop or shop guarantees. Seen tons of them without a single key.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

IronicDongz posted:

They are, however, a great example of a very dull enemy. They're piss easy so you have no reason to use anything but your starting weapon on them, but it takes like around 20 shots or something to kill them. Shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot, reload, shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot, reload...

God these bosses in this jRPG are so annoying. Fight, Fight, Magic, Fight, Fight, Cure, Magic, Fight, Fight....:rolleye:

God these creatures in this ARPG are sooo dull, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click... :rolleye:

God these XXXXs are Sooo YYYY, ZZZ, ZZZ, ZZZ... :derp:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Stanley Pain posted:

God these bosses in this jRPG are so annoying. Fight, Fight, Magic, Fight, Fight, Cure, Magic, Fight, Fight....:rolleye:

God these creatures in this ARPG are sooo dull, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click... :rolleye:

God shitposting in this forum is sooo dull, fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart :rolleyes:

JRPGs are all bad games and any ARPG made this decade has a bazillion active skills that makes them actually fun to play.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Stanley Pain posted:

Many JRPGs and ARPGs are pretty bad, yes-except for the JRPGs which feature many clever ways to get around boss battles besides just mindlessly attacking, and ARPGs which require you to choose your targets carefully and pay attention to your currently active skills. What's the point of this strawman? I'm obviously not saying that anything that makes you repeat an action is bad, I'm saying that an enemy which is very easy to dodge but takes a long time to kill is boring/annoying.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Is the shop keeper killable or something? Is there any reason to piss him off? I made the mistake of testing to see what would happen if I kept firing in the store. For a dude who lives in a dungeon filled with bullets he sure is sensitive.

Also, what's the deal with these rooms? Couldn't find any way to them, or at least it didn't seem like the same way you access normal secret rooms.

Also, I guess there's occasionally dudes in cells that are totally pointless? I found a cell with a blue bullet dude and he didn't show up in the breech.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Oxyclean posted:

Is the shop keeper killable or something? Is there any reason to piss him off? I made the mistake of testing to see what would happen if I kept firing in the store. For a dude who lives in a dungeon filled with bullets he sure is sensitive.

Also, what's the deal with these rooms? Couldn't find any way to them, or at least it didn't seem like the same way you access normal secret rooms.

Also, I guess there's occasionally dudes in cells that are totally pointless? I found a cell with a blue bullet dude and he didn't show up in the breech.

Shopkeeper is not killable, if you fire twice in his shop, he doubles his prices. Fire again, and he attacks you before kicking you out and bailing.

The room in the screenshot is accessed by jumping down the elevator shaft after the elevator has left.

The guys who don't show up in the breach are various merchants that you will start seeing on later runs after freeing them.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
A little green blob dude crawled out of a grate in the shop and asked for something for "the collection" and said he'd compensate me. What am I supposed to do here?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Broken Cog posted:

New patch

Seems to address some issues people have been voicing.

and just because gently caress you:

quote:

Starter guns can no longer be used to reveal secret doors (hit VFX is now the normal wall hit effect)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Ghetto Prince posted:

A little green blob dude crawled out of a grate in the shop and asked for something for "the collection" and said he'd compensate me. What am I supposed to do here?
Drop items down into his grate. You can drop guns with whatever key that's currently bound to, and you can drop other items from the map screen.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

RyokoTK posted:

God shitposting in this forum is sooo dull, fart fart fart fart fart fart fart fart :rolleyes:

JRPGs are all bad games and any ARPG made this decade has a bazillion active skills that makes them actually fun to play.

Yeah, I agree, IronicDongz made some terribly dull and/or bad posts :)

IronicDongz posted:

Many JRPGs and ARPGs are pretty bad, yes-except for the JRPGs which feature many clever ways to get around boss battles besides just mindlessly attacking, and ARPGs which require you to choose your targets carefully and pay attention to your currently active skills. What's the point of this strawman? I'm obviously not saying that anything that makes you repeat an action is bad, I'm saying that an enemy which is very easy to dodge but takes a long time to kill is boring/annoying.

I'm glad you missed the point...

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Stanley Pain posted:

I'm glad you missed the point...
Did I? The knights are dull to fight because they're trivially easy but they have a lot of HP so it takes a long time to get past them(relatively speaking). What exactly am I wrong about, here?

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Hexenritter posted:

and just because gently caress you:

I'd rather have this than the previous version where my ocd had me painting the walls with the starter. It also helps that secret rooms suck most of the time.

The best solution would be isaacing it, where you have to gamble a blank on 50% or so chance of a secret room.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

IronicDongz posted:

Drop items down into his grate. You can drop guns with whatever key that's currently bound to, and you can drop other items from the map screen.

thanks!

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
I don't understand why they're making secret rooms harder to find, they are such a let down as it is most of the time.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Sloober posted:

I don't understand why they're making secret rooms harder to find, they are such a let down as it is most of the time.

Probably because that method of finding secret rooms was insanely tedious/time-consuming while also always being the correct course of action. I think they're just supposed to be an occasional little bonus that you luck into rather than something you painstakingly seek out.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Vargs posted:

Probably because that method of finding secret rooms was insanely tedious/time-consuming while also always being the correct course of action. I think they're just supposed to be an occasional little bonus that you luck into rather than something you painstakingly seek out.

Funny, using the starting weapon almost exclusively is also insanely tedious/time-consuming while also always being the correct course of action

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
After the first few secret letdowns I stopped bothering with them. Only one I really cared about the contents of was when it was a blank to replace the one I used.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Vargs posted:

Do they not understand how spergy and completionist people can be?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Stanley Pain posted:

You have got to be trying to be missing the point this badly

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

IronicDongz posted:

Did I? The knights are dull to fight because they're trivially easy but they have a lot of HP so it takes a long time to get past them(relatively speaking). What exactly am I wrong about, here?

The knights take like 15 seconds to kill at most, though :confused:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Angry Diplomat posted:

Yes, that's too long for an easy enemy in a shooty action game. 15 seconds is a long time in this context.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

15 seconds doesn't sound like a lot on paper, but it's 15 seconds of clicking with the most unfun gun in the game every time one of these enemies appears, and if you use anything else you will wish you had used the slow boring gun instead when you run out of ammo on floor 4 because the game never gave you a single ammo box. It's not just this enemy, it's symptomatic of a larger problem.

This is exactly what I and several others have been complaining about for several pages. You are incentivized to do boring things, and it's weirdly jarring because so many features of the game are there to counter tedium. R. Rat prevents you from hoarding things and having to run around to use them at the Optimal Time like you see in isaac, you can teleport everywhere, they just got rid of finding secret walls by shooting the entire surface area of the gungeon with the default gun so you don't feel like you should waste time doing that, etc. Those are good features and keep you from wasting time doing things other than shooting dudes. The devs clearly knew what they wanted to do here, but I think they just cocked up the execution very badly. I hope they are getting feedback like this and listening to it though.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

IronicDongz posted:

Yes, that's too long for an easy enemy in a shooty action game. 15 seconds is a long time in this context.

I agree, and add some extra context: the knights often spawn alone, or in twos, and never seem to present any challenge whatsoever.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I'm really glad to see that patches are being rolled out, but I'm a little chapped that they're making higher tier guns less likely to spawn in lower tier chests. Ah well.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

The knights are 15 seconds. Oh no! You might have a bad run! Oh no! Often the run is mean! Oh no!

BoI is way worse to players to this, until you unlock a load of items. I accept this game should be more transparent about the fact if you're not crazy good you need to play a lot to unlock cool stuff, but gently caress. People seem to be moaning about the most basic of things. No keys one run? Work around it. Few guns? Try again, get as many unlocks as you can. Who cares? It's a roguelike, and it is literally built around you playing again and again. I've only managed to beat the Dragun twice in 60 deaths , I am getting hosed over regularly, and it is nearly always my fault for not dodging bullets correctly. You dudes need to get REAL BEEFY.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

RyokoTK posted:

I'm pretty sure there's a correlation between not getting hit and better drops (because I made it far into floor 2 without taking any damage and was getting like $5 each from basic gunkin which is crazy) but I am also 100% sure that the "if the enemy hits you, it doesn't drop anything" theory isn't entirely correct because I have absolutely taken damage from a Lead Maiden and still received two silver shells/$10 for killing her. I'm playing on PS4 though and I assume that the game's getting patched on PC more quickly because that's how it always works, so maybe it's a bug, but I have absolutely had money drop from an enemy after taking damage from it.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

IronicDongz posted:

Digirat posted:

15 seconds doesn't sound like a lot on paper, but it's 15 seconds of clicking with the most unfun gun in the game every time one of these enemies appears, and if you use anything else you will wish you had used the slow boring gun instead when you run out of ammo on floor 4 because the game never gave you a single ammo box. It's not just this enemy, it's symptomatic of a larger problem.

OK. I mean, I really don't feel it's a big deal at all and I think maybe you folks are kind of fixating on a really minor thing because the game plays a little differently than you hoped it would, but OK.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Oxyclean posted:

There are quite a few methods that you can use to steal from the shop but blindly shooting at him isn't one of them. Off the top of my head, using the hookshot to grab items or using an active item that turns you invisible (like the Box) or grabbing his attention with a decoy all work, but I'm pretty sure more exist. It seems like you can safely steal one item per floor using any of these methods and after that there's an (increasing?) chance that you'll get busted and the shopkeeper will become hostile and you won't be able to use his shops again for the rest of your run

NeonCowboy
Oct 9, 2009

I see y'all flashing, diamond, dancing, shining /
Keep your head up
I'm on the last elevator unlock. I'm not great at games, and unlocking it this far has stretched my skills basically to their limit.

So: Bring the guy six heart containers, according to both him and the wiki.

I figure that I probably can't do it. That will mean flawlessing 3 bosses, or at least 2 and getting an extra heart container from an item.

And then: It happens.

I hit the fourth floor boss - and I am not good at any of the fourth floor bosses - and pray to simply stay alive.

I do. I kill the wall with half a heart left. You cannot imagine how relieved and thrilled I am to have done this.

I get to the fifth floor and fall down the shaft to show the guy my six heart containers.

He implies that they need to be six FULL heart containers.

I minimize the game, open the wiki page, calmly edit it, re-enter the game, and loving kill myself.

That's it for me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I feel like the game punishes failure by being less fun in a way I don't like. Now I get hit on the first floor I might as well restart, especially if it's a big room. I'm getting better.