Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Symphogear
This poll is closed.
Chris 41 39.42%
Hibiki 26 25.00%
Tsubasa 5 4.81%
Shirabe 5 4.81%
Kirika 3 2.88%
Maria 9 8.65%
Genjuro 15 14.42%
Total: 104 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

also i saw a gif of the mechs in macross delta and they look like loving rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Srice posted:

The Ranma anime starts off strong and becomes less good over time, but UY really picks up momentum as it goes along

That's good. I never bothered with past the... 2nd? 3rd? season of Ranma. Love the manga the whole way through, though. I was thinking of inching my way through Gintama, though, and I'm not sure I have the appetite to go through two long-running shows.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Parallax posted:

its cool seeing the animation get better and crazier. there was a good article about how the style changed as different animators came and went but i can't find it for the life of me

I hope you stumble upon it again, that sort of stuff is always fascinating to read

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Parallax posted:

also i saw a gif of the mechs in macross delta and they look like loving rear end

is it CG again, like Frontier?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

boom boom boom posted:

There was definitely a time you could only sign up if you had a Japanese IP

They must have stopped that a while back since I didn't have any issues signing up, and that was a few years back.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

id hurt my friends doing that too though, now

You have to make sacrifices sometimes, Sharky

Burn it to ash

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Motto posted:

They must have stopped that a while back since I didn't have any issues signing up.

it's no longer true, so certainly they stopped it at some point

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Anonymous >> #1069803
Posted on 2012-05-14 06:42:19 Score: 4 (vote Up/Down) (Report as spam)
Finale dahoam
Mia san mia
Bayern <3

Anonymous >> #1076289
Posted on 2012-05-23 02:04:47 Score: 0 (vote Up/Down) (Report as spam)
Leider nicht so glücklich geendet oder?

Anonymous >> #1078238
Posted on 2012-05-25 20:58:20 Score: 2 (vote Up/Down) (Report as spam)
Chelsea FC won the final by penalty shoots it was a great final

Sorry Corals
Jan 2, 2010

the one thats on fire seems good

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

why am i so sick

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

boom boom boom posted:

is it CG again, like Frontier?

yeah, super shiny mechs that look like rear end

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I'm not crazy about the Motherbase-> helicopter ->field ->helicopter ->motherbase system.

It seems to add a lot of loading times. Maybe I'm just going back to Motherbase more often than I should tho.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
maaaaaaaaaaaan

i wish i was the one in our family able to fly wherever the gently caress i wanted

cause i'd totally go to DC right now

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Sorry Corals posted:

the one thats on fire seems good

she's

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

she had the hottest voice in anime but her va FRIGGEN DIED

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Davincie posted:

Anonymous >> #1069803
Posted on 2012-05-14 06:42:19 Score: 4 (vote Up/Down) (Report as spam)
Finale dahoam
Mia san mia
Bayern <3

Anonymous >> #1076289
Posted on 2012-05-23 02:04:47 Score: 0 (vote Up/Down) (Report as spam)
Leider nicht so glücklich geendet oder?

Anonymous >> #1078238
Posted on 2012-05-25 20:58:20 Score: 2 (vote Up/Down) (Report as spam)
Chelsea FC won the final by penalty shoots it was a great final

is that how you play soccer

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

boom boom boom posted:

what anime/manga am I thinking of then?

I would not know

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Nyaruko-san was frustrating. The main guy and main girl should've just gone with their respective gay love interests.

I was super glad I'd watched Kamen Rider Den-O beforehand. The only time I've ever been glad to have seen Den-O

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Parallax posted:

I'm in it for the idols and the breakdancing mechs

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

boom boom boom posted:

Nyaruko-san was frustrating. The main guy and main girl should've just gone with their respective gay love interests.

I was super glad I'd watched Kamen Rider Den-O beforehand. The only time I've ever been glad to have seen Den-O

the otokonoko was like the worst character

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Parallax posted:

is that how you play soccer

Yes

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

boom boom boom posted:

There was definitely a time you could only sign up if you had a Japanese IP

I dunno about IP but they did need a physical address, which I faked like 8 years ago.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Davincie posted:

the otokonoko was like the worst character

that's never true

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

lmao

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

1: cthuko, redhead lesbian
2: the mom, who's like an archaeologist that hunts cthulhus
3: the fat alien bird
4: the amazingly stupid normie friends of the mc
5: nyaruko
6: redheads sister
7: the otkonoko

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i always liked how they drew accurate disgusting cthulhu monsters

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Allarion posted:

:same:

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Davincie posted:

1: cthuko, redhead lesbian
2: the mom, who's like an archaeologist that hunts cthulhus
3: the fat alien bird
4: the amazingly stupid normie friends of the mc
5: nyaruko
6: redheads sister
7: the otkonoko

Sounds about right but I would have made the female friend who had her own arc a separate entry above the other friends

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm gonna watch Azazel-san, before Nyaruko

Rotoru
Sep 3, 2011

Allarion posted:

:same:

Also apparently "Yak! Deculture!" translates to "This is horrifying!" in DYRL? Because that's a a hell of a linguistic drift for the later series.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I'm not angry that's an evil being that sounds nice, no my complaint is actually with a situation that's exactly opposite that. Also, she's not exactly a vision of power and chaos here. She's driven back with a kitchen fork for Aphoom-Zhah's sake. My complaint is that her personality and voice are so far removed from what I imagine Nyarlothotep as an anime girl to be.

I've seen pictures from this show online when looking up Mythos stuff but I never found out the name of the show. My reaction to Nyarko has been one of loathing and rage. Especially since I've seen a lot of fan-art from people who've never actually read Lovecraft and honestly believe this to be the primary form of the Crawling Chaos.

I liked this review, and good or bad it makes me curious about seeing this anime myself and conveniently answers a lot of questions I've been screaming at my computer screen:

"What- what am I looking at?! What is this?! This isn't Nyarlathotep! What have you done with Nyarlahotep?!

latnak - July 9, 2012 07:23 AM (GMT)
The sheer hate for this show is beyond anything I can express for the destruction of the mythos.

ScutigeraColeoptrata - July 9, 2012 05:34 PM (GMT)
It's not fair for me to judge the show without having seen all of it, but just from your reviews and what I've seen myself it does seem very derivative. I don't object to the 'less than reverent' attitude taken towards the Mythos, as that has the potential to be fun and it's a lot less offensive than doing the same thing with real-world religions, which anime has done for years (count how many animes have used Christian imagery for virtually the same plot as this one). The reason I'm not at all interested is that it seems exactly like a dime-a-dozen otaku moe fan service show, and I hate that stuff.

The reason I stopped watching anime was because the industry began to self-cannibalize ideas and concepts, playing things safe with the same characters and stories in almost every series. There are literally dozens of animes with completely interchangeable characters and plot progressions, and which focus far more on character and story types than original concepts. It's a standard for the industry that, in my opinion, is very destructive. One of the reasons I loved Evangelion so much (another anime which used pointless religious imagery) is because it openly mocked anime conventions by presenting common character archetypes as being totally dysfunctional in the 'real world.'

But I'm going off on a tangent. I guess it's a pretty tall order to ask big-eyed moe fan service girls to have any real depth of character, especially in a pervy comedy, but it seems like they could have done a lot more with this series if they had ditched the conventions and gotten creative.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Davincie posted:

she had the hottest voice in anime but her va FRIGGEN DIED

I still use this alarm

http://puu.sh/l6l4A/b4e68e8d5d.ogg

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Davincie posted:

I'm not angry that's an evil being that sounds nice, no my complaint is actually with a situation that's exactly opposite that. Also, she's not exactly a vision of power and chaos here. She's driven back with a kitchen fork for Aphoom-Zhah's sake. My complaint is that her personality and voice are so far removed from what I imagine Nyarlothotep as an anime girl to be.

I've seen pictures from this show online when looking up Mythos stuff but I never found out the name of the show. My reaction to Nyarko has been one of loathing and rage. Especially since I've seen a lot of fan-art from people who've never actually read Lovecraft and honestly believe this to be the primary form of the Crawling Chaos.

I liked this review, and good or bad it makes me curious about seeing this anime myself and conveniently answers a lot of questions I've been screaming at my computer screen:

"What- what am I looking at?! What is this?! This isn't Nyarlathotep! What have you done with Nyarlahotep?!

latnak - July 9, 2012 07:23 AM (GMT)
The sheer hate for this show is beyond anything I can express for the destruction of the mythos.

ScutigeraColeoptrata - July 9, 2012 05:34 PM (GMT)
It's not fair for me to judge the show without having seen all of it, but just from your reviews and what I've seen myself it does seem very derivative. I don't object to the 'less than reverent' attitude taken towards the Mythos, as that has the potential to be fun and it's a lot less offensive than doing the same thing with real-world religions, which anime has done for years (count how many animes have used Christian imagery for virtually the same plot as this one). The reason I'm not at all interested is that it seems exactly like a dime-a-dozen otaku moe fan service show, and I hate that stuff.

The reason I stopped watching anime was because the industry began to self-cannibalize ideas and concepts, playing things safe with the same characters and stories in almost every series. There are literally dozens of animes with completely interchangeable characters and plot progressions, and which focus far more on character and story types than original concepts. It's a standard for the industry that, in my opinion, is very destructive. One of the reasons I loved Evangelion so much (another anime which used pointless religious imagery) is because it openly mocked anime conventions by presenting common character archetypes as being totally dysfunctional in the 'real world.'

But I'm going off on a tangent. I guess it's a pretty tall order to ask big-eyed moe fan service girls to have any real depth of character, especially in a pervy comedy, but it seems like they could have done a lot more with this series if they had ditched the conventions and gotten creative.

i didn't read this

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

dogsicle posted:

i'm gonna watch Azazel-san, before Nyaruko

first season is funny but the second was kinda bad and I never finished it

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Motto posted:

i didn't read this

a kitten