Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

RyokoTK posted:

I know I'm guilty of whining about video games that I'm bad at, but with Dark Souls 3 coming out tomorrow, can we preemptively put a moratorium on Dark Souls 3 bitching for, like, a month?

It's a mixture of people complaining about games they're bad at and complaining about things that legitimately are not good, versus a crowd of people that can't let anyone tarnish the name of Dark Souls as well as the usual git gud patrol.

yeah, i'm liking this idea. i don't wanna do this for every game, but for games this divisive, i'd like everyone to keep their complaints until a month after the release date so we can post stuff and hopefully not have too much poo poo flinging. :)

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Deus Ex was released in 2000 and it did a pretty good job of this.

there's a blast door in the underwater base near the end of the game that's 100% impenetrable. when i was paranoid of those little green raptor things i closed it in such a way that i trapped myself there and couldn't get out.

i didn't have any saves prior to doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Action Tortoise posted:

there's a blast door in the underwater base near the end of the game that's 100% impenetrable. when i was paranoid of those little green raptor things i closed it in such a way that i trapped myself there and couldn't get out.

i didn't have any saves prior to doing that.

greasy green greasels greasy green greasels

Why is it that the critters always end up being the most fearsome enemies? loving headcrabs...

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 09:40 on Apr 11, 2016

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Action Tortoise posted:

yeah, i'm liking this idea. i don't wanna do this for every game, but for games this divisive, i'd like everyone to keep their complaints until a month after the release date so we can post stuff and hopefully not have too much poo poo flinging. :)

What if there's a real issue that isn't design related though? Like "Oh, I got stuck in a fog door and it autosaved. Now I have to restart 73 hours in"

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
let's just keep it all in until a month, ok? don't wanna have people split hairs over what's a design flaw and what isn't, like if a group of enemies all do lunge attacks at the same time and the damage stacks in one rush.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mierenneuker posted:

greasy green greasels greasy green greasels

Why is it that the critters always end up being the most fearsome enemies? loving headcrabs...
usually because they're terribly designed and operate/animate in an entirely different way from every other enemy in the game

(I just got done playing Dishonored again and had totally forgotten about the idiotic river acorns that spit amazingly accurate acid 50 feet every time they spot you for no reason)

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

usually because they're terribly designed and operate/animate in an entirely different way from every other enemy in the game

(I just got done playing Dishonored again and had totally forgotten about the idiotic river acorns that spit amazingly accurate acid 50 feet every time they spot you for no reason)
River Krusts. They're an enormous pile of bullshit.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

River Krusts. They're an enormous pile of bullshit.
even the name is stupid. River Krusty the River Klown

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
headcrabs I can deal with.

but gently caress snarks

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
I've been playing the original Fatal Frame, and oh man that game has not held up very well at all. The resources are totally front-loaded, so you get a lot of healing items and ammo early on and then very little later when you actually need it. Sometimes you can't leave a room until you beat the ghost in it, but not always! And there is absolutely no indication when you can run from a ghost. The controls are absolute rear end. There are some random parts of the floor that your character can't walk on, so you have to move around it. There are also no subtitles, which was common in horror games of the time but it still sucks. All of that wouldn't be so bad if the actual photography part of the game weren't so incredibly loving clunky.

OH, I almost forgot. Ghosts can teleport while you're fighting them. That would be bad enough if it weren't for the fact that some ghosts can wind up an attack and then teleport right behind you just in time for the attack to land.

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

BioEnchanted posted:

What if there's a real issue that isn't design related though? Like "Oh, I got stuck in a fog door and it autosaved. Now I have to restart 73 hours in"

What you do is get the gently caress over it.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Four Kings is a DPS race. That's it. Whoever described a "retard version" of the fight outlined the correct method. For clarity - it's this:

- equip all of Havel's set, if you are a Caster/Pyro - swap out the helmet for Dusk's Crown
- casters should also be wearing the Bellowing Dragoncrest ring
- equip the Crest Shield (best) or Grass Crest (not as good, but stamina regen is nice)
- fall into the arena and start slowly rotating the camera around until the 1st King appears
- sprint towards him dodging sword swings until you are literally touching him
- if he shoots either of the purple projectiles - block with the Crest Shield and proceed on
- when you are in his face, two hand your weapon and swing for the fences
- let your stamina bar refill and repeat
- heal as needed. Your armor will let you Poise right through an attack while you're healing
- when you kill a king - KEEP SWINGING. You can knock some extra health off the life bar as its death animation is playing
- while you're waiting for #2 to appear, heal up.

You should basically never see all 4 Kings doing this. Or if you do see #4 - one hit should end the fight. You should have a good 10-15 seconds between Kings.

The dodge for the grab is kind of a late roll sideways. The only thing you can't dodge is the AOE explosion, but if you are keeping your health topped off, your armor should get you through. Again - tank all projectiles with the shield. The reason for being in their faces is because their weapons have two hitboxes: one on the blade - which does a LOT of damage, and one on the hilt, which does minimal damage. If you are right up in they grill, you will usually only ever get hit by the hilt.

Schnedwob posted:

Four Kings would be really great as a turn-based JRPG boss, but doesn't work well when you're scrambling around trying to keep track of them all in real time.

If you are dealing with more than one King at a time - you are either doing some sort of weird challenge run, or you are doing it wrong.

And whoever said he hated the run down to them: dude what route are you taking? You can literally run all the way there from Firelink without fighting anything, and you only have to dodge twice the whole run.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

HaB posted:

And whoever said he hated the run down to them: dude what route are you taking? You can literally run all the way there from Firelink without fighting anything, and you only have to dodge twice the whole run.

It's an rear end fight and the trip getting back to it after respawning is inconvenient. at least bed of chaos has a shortcut to the fight.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

BioEnchanted posted:

There's a reason the last iteration of this thread was titled something like "PYF thing dragging this game down: But not Dark Souls. Shut up about Dark Souls."

It's not that there isn't poo poo wrong with Dark Souls games, it's that when the games were newer you couldn't say anything was wrong with the game without FROM White Knights leaping in "Well actually the fog door crashing is good because..." and dumb arguments would crop up every time about whether known garbage level Shrine of Amana was actually good subversive design by FROM to make the player walk slowly and blah blah blah.

It tarnished the high quality of the thread that we've come to expect in the Post Your Favorite subforum :v:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Now we're talking about talking about dark souls 3. This is getting recursive af.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

RyokoTK posted:

There's a reason the last iteration of this thread was titled something like "PYF thing dragging this game down: But not Dark Souls. Shut up about Dark Souls."

It's not that there isn't poo poo wrong with Dark Souls games, it's that when the games were newer you couldn't say anything was wrong with the game without FROM White Knights leaping in "Well actually the fog door crashing is good because..." and dumb arguments would crop up every time about whether known garbage level Shrine of Amana was actually good subversive design by FROM to make the player walk slowly and blah blah blah.

It tarnished the high quality of the thread that we've come to expect in the Post Your Favorite subforum :v:

Fair enough, I'd forgotten about those incidents. Still, looking forward to finally playing it tomorrow :3:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Action Tortoise posted:

headcrabs I can deal with.

but gently caress snarks

Snarks were like insultingly useless in Black Mesa so that's a thing dragging a game down, I guess.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I don't like it when games with dodging have invincibility frames in the dodge. Because when they do, almost always the enemy attack design takes that into account, so you're expect to 'dodge through' the attack, which doesn't make any sense in itself but whatever. The problem is that there's no real way to tell when you're invincible in a roll, so unless you get gud or spergy enough to look up frames online, you'll get hit as often as not. Either make the majority of a roll/dodge invincible, or don't at all and that that into account when designing enemy attacks.

Looking at Bloodborne. Really like the game but the number of times I've tried to dodge through an attack, thinking that I'd be invincible, only to wind up getting hit is far too high.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

Now we're talking about talking about dark souls 3. This is getting recursive af.

If I respond to this post will-gently caress

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I really wish that games which let you pick your character's name would give you some indication of whether you should provide just the first name or the whole name. The only one I've ever played that clued you in about this was Mass Effect, since the game was upfront about providing your surname.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

DStecks posted:

I really wish that games which let you pick your character's name would give you some indication of whether you should provide just the first name or the whole name. The only one I've ever played that clued you in about this was Mass Effect, since the game was upfront about providing your surname.

I really, really, really hate games that force you to provide two names. Especially SMT/persona because they will toss that first name, the only name I give a gently caress about, directly into the garbage and refer to you as fuckstain or whatever garbage last name I provided only because I was forced to for the next 60 hours.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Morpheus posted:

I don't like it when games with dodging have invincibility frames in the dodge. Because when they do, almost always the enemy attack design takes that into account, so you're expect to 'dodge through' the attack, which doesn't make any sense in itself but whatever. The problem is that there's no real way to tell when you're invincible in a roll, so unless you get gud or spergy enough to look up frames online, you'll get hit as often as not. Either make the majority of a roll/dodge invincible, or don't at all and that that into account when designing enemy attacks.

Try out Enter the Gungeon for a masterclass in getting this so, so right. Dodgerolls are jumps, invincibility lasts until you land.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Somfin posted:

Try out Enter the Gungeon for a masterclass in getting this so, so right. Dodgerolls are jumps, invincibility lasts until you land.

Enter the Gungeon gets mobility right and like everything else wrong. I love that it's a game all about guns, and then it's super fuckin' stingy with them and most of them kinda suck anyway.

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

I am the second illegitimate son of gawd who resides in hoaven.
Spoilers for dark souls, there is no cheap or easy way to beat those games. The strategy that let's you win is playing the game correctly.

Also Capra demon was the easiest boss in the game. Also also, I enjoyed borderlands 2 and played something like 20p hours of it.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Imagine a boot gitting gud on your face, forever.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Jeesis posted:

Also Capra demon was the easiest boss in the game.

Pinwheel stops crying and looks up at you with six big puppy eyes.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Alteisen posted:

Yea ok game, no worries, I will come back later once I've leveled up more to lockpick this cracked display case that I could shoot open or smash with my power armor.

Hey I know that case. Have dogmeat search for items/weapons :ssh:

Unless they patched that since release, I have no clue.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Jeesis posted:

Spoilers for dark souls, there is no cheap or easy way to beat those games. The strategy that let's you win is playing the game correctly.

Also Capra demon was the easiest boss in the game. Also also, I enjoyed borderlands 2 and played something like 20p hours of it.

he is risen

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Arrath posted:

Hey I know that case. Have dogmeat search for items/weapons :ssh:

Unless they patched that since release, I have no clue.

They're too busy literally selling community mods they packed some vague content into as real DLC to patch any actual bugs. At least that explains why they're taking their time with the GECK.

The thing about Dark Souls is I wish it was handled a lot more like the fight club.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Long as they leave my lone wanderer bug alone we are good.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Morglon posted:

They're too busy literally selling community mods they packed some vague content into as real DLC to patch any actual bugs. At least that explains why they're taking their time with the GECK.

The thing about Dark Souls is I wish it was handled a lot more like the fight club.

Yeah I do love that the first dlc is all the same poo poo modders would be putting out in mass quantity.

If, y'know, the GECK was out. I usually can't bring myself to give a poo poo about ~dlc moneygrubbing drama~ but that just feels blatant.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

MGSV: Why do I only get the option to dress Quiet in a proper uniform 60 hours in, when there's only a handful of plot-missions left? D-Dog has more dignity than her.

The gender politics of the game would be a lot less iffy if it had more than three female characters, two of whom who are already dead to begin with.

Venom acts less like a reserved silent-type, more like a guy who forgets his lines half the time. For someone who's the main character he feels underused performance-wise.

The optional remix-missions should have been cut. They take the finely-tuned mission from the main campaign, slap on a random modifier, and crank up the bullshit.

Kaz Miller will survive for another two decades, which is surprising since it means no-one tired of his endless growlings on revenge. The game neglects to let you use CQC on a disabled man.

Still a 9/10.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

MGSV: Why do I only get the option to dress Quiet in a proper uniform 60 hours in, when there's only a handful of plot-missions left? D-Dog has more dignity than her.

The gender politics of the game would be a lot less iffy if it had more than three female characters, two of whom who are already dead to begin with.

Venom acts less like a reserved silent-type, more like a guy who forgets his lines half the time. For someone who's the main character he feels underused performance-wise.

The optional remix-missions should have been cut. They take the finely-tuned mission from the main campaign, slap on a random modifier, and crank up the bullshit.

Kaz Miller will survive for another two decades, which is surprising since it means no-one tired of his endless growlings on revenge. The game neglects to let you use CQC on a disabled man.

Still a 9/10.

Now I want a mod that's focused around using his crutch for CQC.

And also a button that's only function is growling about revenge.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Alteisen posted:

Yea ok game, no worries, I will come back later once I've leveled up more to lockpick this cracked display case that I could shoot open or smash with my power armor.

Not as ludicrous as this:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I love how triggered people like you get over one of the most capable female characters in games simply because of her outfit, and comparing her to a dog no less, but yea its the character that's the problem, not you and whatever deep-seated issues you seem to have with women. :allears:

quote:

Yea its not like you can fill your base with female soldiers if you wish, or even play as them.

Oh wait you can.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Alteisen posted:

I love how triggered people like you get over one of the most capable female characters in games simply because of her outfit, and comparing her to a dog no less, but yea its the character that's the problem, not you and whatever deep-seated issues you seem to have with women. :allears:

Holy poo poo is this real in April 2016?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Alteisen posted:

Yea its not like you can fill your base with female soldiers if you wish, or even play as them.

Oh wait you can.

bruh,

no one's making GBS threads on quiet as a character, but the ingame explanation for her attire is bullshit, especially when there are other characters with similar abilities but don't have the same clothing restrictions.

like have r n d give her a sneaking suit that provides more cover but doesn't compromise her condition.

it's not like the game cares too much about being consistent with it, anyways.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Alteisen posted:

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Arrath posted:

Yeah I do love that the first dlc is all the same poo poo modders would be putting out in mass quantity.

If, y'know, the GECK was out. I usually can't bring myself to give a poo poo about ~dlc moneygrubbing drama~ but that just feels blatant.

It's not even would put out, it's have put out. There has been a robot building thing for ages and while granted, it's less in depth it's also about as useful which is saying mainly a novelty. The second one is just more building parts, not oh hey fixed the settlement system just you now get to build more poo poo and there are already a hand full of mods that do exactly that and the sad part is from what I read they also do it better, apparently the official one is super buggy with collisions and snapping and also has less poo poo in it than the mods. I mean come the gently caress on, at least be subtle about it.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Quiet is fine now I am going to go have a sexy shower with her after I stare at her for a while with her sexy bra off and then we'll hang out in my helicopter while she does sexy stretches and makes sure I'm watching her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Morglon posted:

It's not even would put out, it's have put out. There has been a robot building thing for ages and while granted, it's less in depth it's also about as useful which is saying mainly a novelty. The second one is just more building parts, not oh hey fixed the settlement system just you now get to build more poo poo and there are already a hand full of mods that do exactly that and the sad part is from what I read they also do it better, apparently the official one is super buggy with collisions and snapping and also has less poo poo in it than the mods. I mean come the gently caress on, at least be subtle about it.

Are the settlements still an utterly pointless diversion with no real incentive to use?

I never considered the settlement stuff to be all that bad, despite knowing full well that it was, because its two biggest problems balanced each other out. So what if the settlement building is lovely and completely gimped unless you're a Charisma-focused player that can get the perk? Not like even a good settlement gives you anything but grief.