Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

W.T. Fits posted:

I've managed to get a second Platinum Sword. I've already got one maxed out at 20/20; should I just go ahead and combine 'em, or should I max out the other one so that I'll have two 5* FFT swords available? I also have a 20/20 Spellbinder, if that makes any difference.

If you have enough natural 5* swords to equip a full party (if you were using an entirely physical party that needs swords anyway), then yeah go ahead and combine them. There isn't much FFT content in the near future to warrant needing two separate copies, and having a Platinum Sword+ will give you a more powerful sword in general (especially if you use Rosetta Stones on it) that you can toss on to someone if you're lacking synergy swords in a certain realm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
I don't really get the appeal of jumps. They give elemental bonuses but you pay a huge price in the air time. With haste up, on most characters the air time ends up being around +50% to your time between attacks or 1/3 loss of DPS. And on top of this, you're often going to hit the damage cap on weaknesses because you're basically using a 2x attack that gets another 2x to weakness. Especially with shout, a 4x attack is just way too much unless your gear or levels aren't that great or you're fighting some idiot with 1000 defense that pops up from time to time.

They only seem useful if you're just starting out and don't have great gear, any good SBs, and your characters aren't that high of a level or you really need to hit that weakness requirement and don't have good mages or spellblades.

TLDR: gently caress jumps

koolkal fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 12, 2016

superloosegoose
Dec 26, 2008

koolkal posted:

I don't really get the appeal of jumps. They give elemental bonuses but you pay a huge price in the air time. With haste up, on most characters the air time ends up being around +50% to your time between attacks or 1/3 loss of DPS. And on top of this, you're often going to hit the damage cap on weaknesses because you're basically using a 2x attack that gets another 2x to weakness. Especially with shout, a 4x attack is just way too much unless your gear or levels aren't that great or you're fighting some idiot with 1000 defense that pops up from time to time.

They only seem useful if you're just starting out and don't have great gear, any good SBs, and your characters aren't that high of a level or you really need to hit that weakness requirement and don't have good mages or spellblades.

TLDR: gently caress jumps

Sky Grinder doesn't have the annoying cast time which is nice, if you ever use it!

I guess some folks might find the temporary invincibility to be nice, but yeah I rarely if ever use jumps, I think I only ever used them for that one fight req.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
You can use a well-timed Jump to avoid death on Demon Wall if it gets too close and crushes the party. When it gets too close and kills everyone it's automatically the end of the fight, so your one surviving Jumper will win.

If, ya know, you don't have the DPS to kill that thing anyway. I've just Advantaliated the poo poo out of it every time it's come up and never run into a problem. :shrug:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I haven't had an opportunity to use it yet but I imagine Leeching Leap is a good strong attack that gives you all the health you could ever need. DPS is a whatever concern at this point.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Am I missing something or is there really no way to sort equipment by quantity? Because that's pretty annoying if so.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Jumps are in a lot better position than they were before at least

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Shoenin posted:

Jumps are in a lot better position than they were before at least

I'd say probably a good 50ft higher. :parrot:

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Quick Q: I picked up a fun mix of armors and robes but 0 weapons.

Is the Ultimate reasonable with 0 weapon RS? The +++ was a bit of a chore, lost 1 medal to actions and damage.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

kalensc posted:

Quick Q: I picked up a fun mix of armors and robes but 0 weapons.

Is the Ultimate reasonable with 0 weapon RS? The +++ was a bit of a chore, lost 1 medal to actions and damage.

For sure. Aoe to take down the adds if you have it, then just keep up mitigation and the main boss is very easy. I used ruinga, rank 2 Alexander, and blade blitz to take the adds down fast.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
When are the next set of lucky banners due?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Shock Trooper posted:

You can use a well-timed Jump to avoid death on Demon Wall if it gets too close and crushes the party. When it gets too close and kills everyone it's automatically the end of the fight, so your one surviving Jumper will win.

If, ya know, you don't have the DPS to kill that thing anyway. I've just Advantaliated the poo poo out of it every time it's come up and never run into a problem. :shrug:

You'll need the DPS in the Nightmare fight because IIRC using counters will wreck you. :eng101:

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
100 gem Oath Veil, hooray for Meltdown Boost

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

MotU posted:

Hey I got the same thing! :hfive:

Stirdog
Oct 11, 2012

I got a veil as well... weird.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Thief's bracer, hooray?

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard
Dollar pull was garbage.

Decisions, decisions. I could throw down a 3-pull here, probably get squat. Gotta figure out how badly I need synergy, I guess (got tons of ++gear, but I dunno how it holds up in later events).

Still trying to figure out if I'm going full-dumbass on FFVIII synergy for Fragment Ifrit's Cid Mission, too.

Also, Tyro running around with Yuna's Tiny Bee has not stopped being funny yet. I wish I had even an inkling of drawing talent, that'd make for a good picture.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

MotU posted:

Another 3* item. I can't recall if I ever got a 5* from the dollar pull. I must have. I don't want to believe that I'm something like 0/60 on 100 gem pulls. :(

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Combo posted:

Thief's bracer, hooray?

Thief's Bracer is pretty great, it's got meaty stats in every department with RS.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Niton posted:

Thief's Bracer is pretty great, it's got meaty stats in every department with RS.

Yeah its fine, I have 4 melee for VI anyway so I can fit it in, still doesn't give more attack than my crystal helm++.

Lumen
Oct 12, 2009
$1 pull got me a Thief's Bracer :toot:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Oh look, another article on the Tactics Nuclear Fallout.

Can't say I expected this whole drama to blow up quite this much.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Three pull, rainbow sparkly orb and Relm SSB. See ya Yuna, Relm was way the gently caress cooler~

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Oh look, another article on the Tactics Nuclear Fallout.

"Spent $50 trying to draw a rare sword? Blame yourself or bad algorithms." :vince:

Final Fantasy Record Keeper: Blame yourself or bad algorithms would make a drat good thread title...

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

It's an endemic problem regarding mobile gacha games that has been glossed over since global builds of mobile gacha games don't really sell in America quite as well as they do in, say, Singapore or the Philippines. Or at least, they didn't. FFRK kind of changed that a bit since, well, FF.

Basically, you've got a whole bunch of people who've never seen mobage premium gachas and how shady-as-gently caress they are when they're allowed to be. The only reason transparency exists in Japan to begin with is because of how strict their anti-gambling laws are now.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I'm at 20 Mythril right now, assuming I can get the 50 before the event ends, should I do another Tactics banner pull, pull on Relm 1, or save for Relm 2? Or does it depend on if I can get Agrias before it's over?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Evil Fluffy posted:

Final Fantasy Record Keeper: Blame yourself or bad algorithms would make a drat good thread title...

I second this motion. :iia:

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

KataraniSword posted:

It's an endemic problem regarding mobile gacha games that has been glossed over since global builds of mobile gacha games don't really sell in America quite as well as they do in, say, Singapore or the Philippines. Or at least, they didn't. FFRK kind of changed that a bit since, well, FF.

Basically, you've got a whole bunch of people who've never seen mobage premium gachas and how shady-as-gently caress they are when they're allowed to be. The only reason transparency exists in Japan to begin with is because of how strict their anti-gambling laws are now.

I feel like it's only a matter of time until some minimal level of transparency becomes common practice. When games get ported from Japan people have the ability to see information the game developer could otherwise hide from US audiences, and so everything DeNA does with the US version gets compared with the Japanese version.

Seems like it's in the mobage companies' interests to nip this poo poo in the bud and provide some amount of odds information (not like low odds stopped people from paying to pull for poo poo they knew was a 1% drop before) before the market gets big enough for legislators and/or their more vocal constituents take notice.

quote:

I'm at 20 Mythril right now, assuming I can get the 50 before the event ends, should I do another Tactics banner pull, pull on Relm 1, or save for Relm 2? Or does it depend on if I can get Agrias before it's over?

I personally would prefer to have a chance at the Kaiser Shield, Grand Armor, or Platinum Sword over one of many Medicas (albeit the most powerful).

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 12, 2016

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Combo posted:

For sure. Aoe to take down the adds if you have it, then just keep up mitigation and the main boss is very easy. I used ruinga, rank 2 Alexander, and blade blitz to take the adds down fast.

Solid!

Reallllly uncertain if i should pull again on FFT for either of the SSBs.

Between Thyrus last fall, SG during SBFest and SSBFest, and Platinum Sword now I'm in for 750-800 Mythril without a Wall or Shout. Got tons of other goodies for sure, but I'd saved primarily for at least 1 of those, so it's a tad disappointing.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Man, I wish Relm 1 wasn't such hot garbage as a banner. I have tons of fond memories of Relm being part of The A-Team back in FFVI, and having her Curaga-level Medica would be neat, and thus I'm even a little tempted to break my vow of no whaling and get yelled at, but good god the rest of that banner is just crap, especially since I already have tons of FFVI synergy. The only remotely interesting thing is Shadow's SSB, which is still kind of like :geno:yay.

I'll probably hold out for Relm 2 and saving up all the mythril we have coming this week.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Nickoten posted:

I feel like it's only a matter of time until some minimal level of transparency becomes common practice. When games get ported from Japan people have the ability to see information the game developer could otherwise hide from US audiences, and so everything DeNA does with the US version gets compared with the Japanese version.

Seems like it's in the mobage companies' interests to nip this poo poo in the bud and provide some amount of odds information (not like low odds stopped people from paying to pull for poo poo they knew was a 1% drop before) before the market gets big enough for legislators and/or their more vocal constituents take notice.

At the same time, I remember hearing something about the Japanese version banning people for datamining? They don't do that here, for whatever reason, and I feel like they treat that as our tradeoff. They'll let us see the guts of the gameplay, but the other guys get to see the guts of the slot machine.

Regardless, I'm glad that at least one game makes its gacha rates plain as day on their summon pages if you know where to look. Thanks, Tales of Link.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

I'm glad that I've never tried any other mobile games, let alone gachas, because drat it seems like a hellish wasteland of poor odds and churlish users.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
I decided my next 11-pull on FFT would be my last, and I fully expected to walk away 4/33 with no Soul Breaks, but then I got a Platinum Sword so it's clear I'm just absurdly lucky. Now that I've got Ramza egged up and on my team, do I need to break his level cap a second time to get his RM2 or will it drop after the first?

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 12, 2016

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

kalensc posted:

I'm glad that I've never tried any other mobile games, let alone gachas, because drat it seems like a hellish wasteland of poor odds and churlish users.

Oh, you have no idea. I'll admit, FFRK's userbase has a much bigger contingent of people willing to just up and tear someone's throat out with little provocation, but at the same time the odds are generally even worse and the premium currency is much harder to get hold of.

For instance, I've never once seen anyone in this thread recommend you reroll your account repeatedly (aka "uninstall and reinstall, starting from scratch") in order to get an optimal starting loadout. For Puzzle and Dragons and Monster Strike both, that's considered the first step in even being able to tackle normal content.

These are Japan's highest-grossing mobile games. Period.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Sure is tempting to do a pull on banner 1, as I'd love both the SSBs. But that's all I'd really care to get, and at 2% odds...

superloosegoose posted:

I figure one holy damage (when useful), rebel might, hunger of the qu (which I still think is the best life steal rm, 30% chance at drain strike is so good)

Another option is Paladin Cecil's RM2, Holy Blade, which reduces your attack potency to .9 from 1, but has a 100% chance of healing you for 8% of the damage you do.

Opposing Farce posted:

I decided my next 11-pull on FFT would be my last, and I fully expected to walk away 4/33 with no Soul Breaks, but then I got a Platinum Sword so it's clear I'm just absurdly lucky. Now that I've got Ramza egged up and on my team, do I need to break his level cap a second time to get his RM2 or will it drop after the first?

You need to break his second level cap.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

SpaceDrake posted:

Man, I wish Relm 1 wasn't such hot garbage as a banner. I have tons of fond memories of Relm being part of The A-Team back in FFVI, and having her Curaga-level Medica would be neat, and thus I'm even a little tempted to break my vow of no whaling and get yelled at, but good god the rest of that banner is just crap, especially since I already have tons of FFVI synergy.

I'll take that as a "Don't pull on Relm 1" recommendation then. :v:

Man the synergy bonuses are nuts. Kain is hitting for as much damage as Cloud with a five star weapon, and all he's got is a dinky 3 star Kunai.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Opposing Farce posted:

Break his level cap first, then grind to your heart's content on getting his RMs

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT
Dollar pull got me Celes' rune blade.

Got super excited for a sec but it's not the sword that allows runic :v:

Still good, wind damage is rare and any physical soul break fits nicely in shout meta. Just in time for her MC2 as well

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

So out of curiosity, if I was to get Strago through this event, does the game give me some other prize when I get to the Core dungeon where I would have gotten him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy

Twelve by Pies posted:

So out of curiosity, if I was to get Strago through this event, does the game give me some other prize when I get to the Core dungeon where I would have gotten him?

Yes, you get a Greater Growth Egg instead of any character or MC1 rewards if you already have them. The same goes for MC2s, but those are much rarer.

• Locked thread