Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Cicero posted:

Why?

Yes, that's why I mentioned subsidies for the poor.

New semis start around $100K a pop. That's before whatever it will cost for automato and a sensor suite that can actually handle the aggressive lack of standardization in loading dock layouts well enough to actually make the last mile portion of shipping possible. Who do you think can afford to do a full fleet replacement on a whim, exactly?

Hell, the Post Office couldn't afford to replace their delivery fleet, much less the freight trucks. FedEx and UPS would go right under.

That is, I note, totally ignoring the maintenance costs of adding all this automatiin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Somewhat related to the current discussion: is Google getting too big?

Other companies have such a narrow focus and strategy, even companies of similar size. I can't see Google/Alphabet being coherent across its entire company, and I don't understand the long-term strategy of cars, Nest, search, browser, OS, service provider, biotech and venture capital.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Liquid Communism posted:

New semis start around $100K a pop. That's before whatever it will cost for automato and a sensor suite that can actually handle the aggressive lack of standardization in loading dock layouts well enough to actually make the last mile portion of shipping possible. Who do you think can afford to do a full fleet replacement on a whim, exactly?
* The reduced need for drivers will incentivize trucking companies to automate once the technology is good. It'll be hard for individual operators to compete with not having to pay a driver; there was just a test in Europe that had one driver leading a convoy of automated trucks, which is one step down that road.
* Having someone to do the loading/unloading is fine, I'm talking about driving on the roads. That's where the safety concern is.

quote:

Hell, the Post Office couldn't afford to replace their delivery fleet, much less the freight trucks. FedEx and UPS would go right under.

That is, I note, totally ignoring the maintenance costs of adding all this automatiin.
Timelines may have to be stretched for some types of cars, sure.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Aliquid posted:

Other companies have such a narrow focus and strategy, even companies of similar size. I can't see Google/Alphabet being coherent across its entire company, and I don't understand the long-term strategy of cars, Nest, search, browser, OS, service provider, biotech and venture capital.

Google's strategy is the same as it has been the last 10 years: make money on ads, waste it on random 'cool' companies.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Aliquid posted:

Good news, they're quietly selling off everything outside of their main ad driven business.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Aliquid posted:

They don't have a long term strategy for Nest, which is why it's going under inside a year, two tops. That or losing the current CEO.

Related to car chat, the ability of the government/your car insurer to always know where you've been is going to be an issue.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

computer parts posted:

Good news, they're quietly selling off everything outside of their main ad driven business.

Wasn't that why Alphabet was created, so that Google would just be the ad-driven search-and-web business?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

bartkusa posted:

What if the autonomous car lies to you about its intentions?
Ignoring the social solution of "people drive illegally already", if the last problem for autonomous cars is "how do we handle processing untrusted data" we are in pretty good shape.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Cicero posted:

* The reduced need for drivers will incentivize trucking companies to automate once the technology is good. It'll be hard for individual operators to compete with not having to pay a driver; there was just a test in Europe that had one driver leading a convoy of automated trucks, which is one step down that road.
* Having someone to do the loading/unloading is fine, I'm talking about driving on the roads. That's where the safety concern is.

You're still not considering the full picture. A road convoy is useless for handling the reason that we have semis in the first place, that being that the population of the US is so spread out that rail service isn't practical to get goods delivered where they need to be in a timely manner any more. Road trains will work fine for going distribution center to distribution center, but they are useless if you don't have multiple trucks worth of load going to the same locality.

I mean, if we really wanted to have fun I could just ask you how an automated truck handles harvesting corn, but I don't want to blow your mind over having to handwave who's paying to replace all that equipment once the automation fairies figure out how to act autonomously offroad.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Once a significant amount of cars on the road have the ability to run in automated mode, and have the ability to communicate with each other (is there a standard for this being drafted?) what I suspect you'll see is manually operated cars requiring some kind of transmitter that tells the automated cars around them to pay active attention to these cars since that would be easier than treating all the cars around them as equally unpredictable.

Really 20 years from now Google is gonna be making bank selling your destination data to the government so they can optimize their smart traffic lights' cycles on the fly
Hopefully the security for the Internet of things™ gets better soon, it seems to be pretty terrible right now!

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Liquid Communism posted:

You're still not considering the full picture. A road convoy is useless for handling the reason that we have semis in the first place, that being that the population of the US is so spread out that rail service isn't practical to get goods delivered where they need to be in a timely manner any more. Road trains will work fine for going distribution center to distribution center, but they are useless if you don't have multiple trucks worth of load going to the same locality.
Yes, that's why I described the convoy as "one step down that road", not "hey, we're done!"

quote:

I mean, if we really wanted to have fun I could just ask you how an automated truck handles harvesting corn, but I don't want to blow your mind over having to handwave who's paying to replace all that equipment once the automation fairies figure out how to act autonomously offroad.
What does harvesting corn have to do with banning manually driven cars from public roads?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Liquid Communism posted:

They actually might not be a bad idea if you aren't starting from the assumption that the purpose is to outright replace all the drivers or that all the trucks need to be going to the same destination. You could have one lead driver directing several trucks that are going in the same general direction, with each truck just peeling off when it needs to to get wherever it's going. That'd be a pretty huge reduction in workload assuming the lead truck/driver was switched off regularly.

Of course, then you've just got a semi-automated convoy and convoys are hilariously dangerous for pretty much everyone else on the road.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Liquid Communism posted:

Automation would be fairly simple to add to modern semis. There's few industries more analytics hungry than logistics, so pretty much every truck sold today has a suite of programs allowing wireless monitoring of every system in the vehicle, and most of them are able to take control of the control systems in the trucks remotely (mostly because they're very poorly designed). Last mile isn't very important in wider logistics, as most of it would be yard-to-yard, and shunt trucks could do the work after any trailers were dropped off.

It's still a million years away and I don't agree with the guy you responded to, but there's less obstacles than you're talking about.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I hope Calico and Verily keep running, because those could lead to interesting discoveries. If Google backs off being a mega-corporation that tries to do life-altering thing rather than just making a ton of money as a search engine/ad platform, I'll be disappointed.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Wasn't that why Alphabet was created, so that Google would just be the ad-driven search-and-web business?

That or an excuse to make a bunch of "CEO" titles to pad people's resumes.

In either case though, Alphabet is selling off the other stuff. The Robotics boondoggle is going away, and who knows how long their other pet projects will remain (Fiber will probably be around for a bit because it gives them all the user data they could want).

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

computer parts posted:

That or an excuse to make a bunch of "CEO" titles to pad people's resumes.

In either case though, Alphabet is selling off the other stuff. The Robotics boondoggle is going away, and who knows how long their other pet projects will remain (Fiber will probably be around for a bit because it gives them all the user data they could want).

Would you say Alphabet is reducing itself into an Abjad?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

cheese posted:

I love when we go full circle and come back to the awkward reality of automated cars: they will exist largely to fill the role that should be occupied by widespread public transportation.

Yeah basically. An automated car is a bus with stops that don't require you to walk as far and without drunk strangers on it.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
^^But poooors. Really, avoidance of other people is at least half of every tech innovation. Techlords still think they're the bullied.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Cicero posted:

:sigh: The problem with self-driving car chat is that you always get people blowing up one-off experiments and individual features into the whole future of how everything will work. The kinds of stuff you are talking about is decades away at best, and the scenarios you are envisioning may not even occur in our lifetime. Feasibility isn't swayed by how awesome something would be, or else we would all be riding around in jet packs. Trying to argue that market forces cause everything to once something is adopted is foolish, especially if we have no clear idea what the end product will actually look like.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Peztopiary posted:

^^But poooors. Really, avoidance of other people is at least half of every tech innovation. Techlords still think they're the bullied.

i dunno, i don't want to be around yuppies and assorted nouveau riche types either~

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Cicero posted:

What does harvesting corn have to do with banning manually driven cars from public roads?

Truck goes in the field. Corn goes in the truck. Truck goes on the road to the co-op or silage site.

It's not rocket science here. Banning manually driven cars from public roads, with the rhetoric given, runs into a whole lot of things we do that aren't 'commute from point a to point b in city traffic'.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
if automated cars would become mandatory half of Paris would lose their parking space

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
robot cars are gonna kill a whole lotta cats and dogs

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Ccs posted:

I hope Calico and Verily keep running, because those could lead to interesting discoveries. If Google backs off being a mega-corporation that tries to do life-altering thing rather than just making a ton of money as a search engine/ad platform, I'll be disappointed.

Calico is actually an interesting topic for this thread, since it definitely seems to have been set up along the lines of the 'thanatophobe silicon valley STEMlord' trying to beat ageing and death. I work in biotech and Calico raised a lot of eyebrows when they started out by splashing a ton of money and making a lot of noise about trying to cure aging, without going into any specifics about how they are going about it. Since then everything has been almost totally shrouded in mystery except for the fact that they are still pouring huge amounts of money into hiring very influential people are partners, but still basically no details about how or what they are actually up to apart from the various non-profits, universities and researchers they have teamed up with.

its so completely out of the realm of what normal biotech & pharma companies do i.e. create and sell drugs, that no-one has much of a clue what is going to come of this. It doesn't appear that they are trying to make medicines for marketisation because presumably they would have announced something in order to obtain funding.

Obviously it would be cool if this all works out and they have a plan, but I think a lot of people have seen too many tech companies come in with some sort of WORLD CHANGING IDEA, get a tonne of funding and then come out the other side with no product or a a product that cannot possibly make any money.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah it seems crazy but hey go for it. The EU did a semi-similar thing (in the "it's crazy" sense) called the "human brain project" that I was NOT a fan of because it was government money but if Google wants to throw the money around then sure. There is a dynamic where a certain type of BIG THINKER (the grandiose and borderline con artist type) in a field manages to pull big money from like-minded or gullible rich people but Calico isn't like that, as far as I know, it's real goals seem to be the more practical "well what low-hanging fruit would add years to people's lives that might not be harvested by the usual biotech profit motive". But I'm not sure what's really going on in there.

edit: well the other reason I am not a fan of brain project is that I'm actually positive it's crazy to try to do that with the current state of knowledge. I don't know enough about the biology of aging and age related diseases to actually know how much of a windmill that problem is.

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Apr 12, 2016

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

corn in the bible posted:

robot cars are gonna kill a whole lotta cats and dogs

Don't worry, they solved this by making them stop for anything in the road, up to and including plastic bags. It's shocking really, who could have possibly expected that something completely incapable of thought would have trouble distinguishing between a piece of debris, a small animal, and a toddler?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Larch posted:

Don't worry, they solved this by making them stop for anything in the road, up to and including plastic bags. It's shocking really, who could have possibly expected that something completely incapable of thought would have trouble distinguishing between a piece of debris, a small animal, and a toddler?

That's not a hard computer vision problem, and training data isn't scarce. Classification is well-understood, you could configure it to only hit certain breeds of dog. An unknown thing on the road should be avoided, just as by humans, but the set of unknown things will drop quickly over time.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
We have kind of beat the robo car thing into the ground but, for the "heh dumb machines" camp, please take a quick look around at your fellow drivers next time you're on the road. I know every time I have to slow down for a traffic snag I look in the rear view and pray the guy behind me isn't texting. I've seen a serious car wreck happen almost once a year over the last 5 years and I drive very little. People do a lot of things that are well beyond the bleeding edge of AI but moving vehicles through space isn't going to be one of them for long.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Why do insufferable nerds always dream of a world full of autonomous self-driving cars?? Driving cars yourself is fun. gently caress the self-driving car crew.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

pangstrom posted:

We have kind of beat the robo car thing into the ground but, for the "heh dumb machines" camp, please take a quick look around at your fellow drivers next time you're on the road. I know every time I have to slow down for a traffic snag I look in the rear view and pray the guy behind me isn't texting. I've seen a serious car wreck happen almost once a year over the last 5 years and I drive very little. People do a lot of things that are well beyond the bleeding edge of AI but moving vehicles through space isn't going to be one of them for long.

And why, exactly, do you expect autonomous cars to be better at this than humans are?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Larch posted:

And why, exactly, do you expect autonomous cars to be better at this than humans are?

Because they have perfect attention.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Because I am not just some computer fetishist and I'm not rooting for anything. It's a hard problem but there has already been a lot of progress and a lot of the edge case stuff is, probabilistically speaking, less of an issue than the stuff humans do gently caress up but computers do not gently caress up. We'll see where we are in 10 years and I'm happy to be proven wrong but pretty sure I won't be.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

How are u posted:

Why do insufferable nerds always dream of a world full of autonomous self-driving cars?? Driving cars yourself is fun. gently caress the self-driving car crew.

Famously, we prefer trains. :spergin:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

pangstrom posted:

We have kind of beat the robo car thing into the ground but, for the "heh dumb machines" camp, please take a quick look around at your fellow drivers next time you're on the road.

For real. It is amazing how many people are staring at their smartphones while stopped at a light, and it's terrifying to think how many more are doing that while not stopped at a light.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pangstrom posted:

Because I am not just some computer fetishist and I'm not rooting for anything. It's a hard problem but there has already been a lot of progress and a lot of the edge case stuff is, probabilistically speaking, less of an issue than the stuff humans do gently caress up but computers do not gently caress up. We'll see where we are in 10 years and I'm happy to be proven wrong but pretty sure I won't be.

This is something that will be interesting. Computers are likely to make different mistakes than humans do, but that means that the computer collisions that do happen may well look like things that should have been obvious. Modern nets can outperform humans on facial recognition, but the ones they get wrong are usually clearly distinct to a human doing the same comparison.

It could be hard to gather data on collisions that don't happen, and on outcomes of ones that do (beyond fatal/not). If better micro-reactions reduce the severity of injuries, I wonder where that'll show up.

I'm waiting for L2 in vehicles to progress far enough that insurance companies adjust rates -- in either direction! -- for vehicles that have the capability.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah it's akin to Watson's goofy Jeopardy errors. A little scarier when a car does it, of course.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

pangstrom posted:

Yeah it's akin to Watson's goofy Jeopardy errors. A little scarier when a car does it, of course.

Or the multiple pieces of facial recognition software that thought black people were shadows.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Larch posted:

Or the multiple pieces of facial recognition software that thought black people were shadows.

AFAIK, that phenomenon is still not well understood, but detection is easier than recognition, and a person is easier than a face (sometimes).

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Cicero posted:

The difference there is that those things only affect the people using them. If some other dude decides to not wear seatbelts, it's no skin off my back.

Explain how my emissions grandfathered car only affects me, or are you denying that man made global warming is real?

Edit: it's a model t that burns leaded gasoline and I drive through school zones every morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

How are u posted:

Driving nice cars casually is fun. Driving lovely cars is not.