Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Sorry for the ridiculous question but the official play guide S-E has been shoving down my throat every time I log in doesn't seem to help - did they completely redo gathering? I was raking in MGP at the gathering minigames in the golden saucer to get back into the groove of things, and then I went out as a miner and everything is just a list you click on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Yes, gathering was completely redone from 1.0, since having to play a minigame every single time you wanted to gather something is kind of an insane, arduous idea. Instead you have a whole bunch of abilities.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

It was dumb and slow but an awesome way to chill and listen to music or whatever. drat, I'm going to miss it.

Although being able to shoot for specific items is goddamn fantastic....

E: new question - I have nowhere near enough Gil right now to even consider it, but....housing is so limited it's basically impossible to get a personal house right now, huh? I didn't see a single available plot in Gridania on my server and I'm guessing Limsa and Ul'Dah are the same. :(

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Apr 12, 2016

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Those horrible GS minigames were the actual gathering mechanics?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

nuru posted:

Those horrible GS minigames were the actual gathering mechanics?

Oh you sweet summer child....

Not only were those the mechanics but like I said, you also had no idea what you'd get if you successfully completed the minigames. If you were BOT and you notched the tree at the exact same spot every round I think you ended up with the same items from it, but past that it was a roulette. I do seem to recall getting multiple rewards at once though, like crystals on top of whatever item you pulled, but...yeah.

Seriously an easy way to rack up MGP though now.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Ryoshi posted:

Oh you sweet summer child....

Not only were those the mechanics but like I said, you also had no idea what you'd get if you successfully completed the minigames. If you were BOT and you notched the tree at the exact same spot every round I think you ended up with the same items from it, but past that it was a roulette. I do seem to recall getting multiple rewards at once though, like crystals on top of whatever item you pulled, but...yeah.

Seriously an easy way to rack up MGP though now.

I do enjoy those minigames at the GS as a bit of a diversion. I like the tree chopping one better than the mining one though.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I prefer the new system for actual gathering; it's the perfect way to catch up on podcasts, just load up an episode and keep running in circles and clicking while listening.

seiferguy posted:

LotA is my favorite content now. Pull off a successful bone zone or get the iron golems to walk across the fire and chat is guaranteed to be screen shot worthy.

Tanking Lab has always been my favorite part of the game. I love chiding the other alliances for ignoring bone zone mechanics or bragging about how our healers and I are able to lavatank Vassago.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Ryoshi posted:

It was dumb and slow but an awesome way to chill and listen to music or whatever. drat, I'm going to miss it.

Although being able to shoot for specific items is goddamn fantastic....

E: new question - I have nowhere near enough Gil right now to even consider it, but....housing is so limited it's basically impossible to get a personal house right now, huh? I didn't see a single available plot in Gridania on my server and I'm guessing Limsa and Ul'Dah are the same. :(

They're opening a new set of plots soonish, so save that gil and never give up hope!

That said you'll need a couple million.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

They're opening a new set of plots soonish, so save that gil and never give up hope!

That said you'll need a couple million.

Starts at 5 million doesn't it?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Are you going to need Heavensward for them? Because I have class ADHD and haven't yet hit 50 on ANYTHING.

...not that I have the 5 mil yet, but, you know.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Depends on what server you're on. On Excalibur it starts at 5 million, it can go down to two and a half on really small servers.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

So for race chocobo breeding, it looks like the process goes something like this:

1) Get your chocobo to rank 40 and retire it.
2) Buy a pedigree 9 covering permission for the opposite gender (may as well fish for 4 star stats and good skills).
3) Hope it offers more stars in at least one stat than your bo could inherit from its own parents. If not, throw it away and buy another.
4) Breed them together, wait 6 hours.
5) If the new chocobo inherits lovely stars, throw it away and buy a new covering permission to try again.
6) Pray you get a decent result within 10 attempts.

Does that sound about right or am I missing something important?

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjEI2SzEYh4

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

It's beautiful.

And that bass player is the baseplayerest i've seen in a long time.

bleuraindrops
Jun 22, 2011

Thundarr posted:

So for race chocobo breeding, it looks like the process goes something like this:

2) Buy a pedigree 9 covering permission for the opposite gender (may as well fish for 4 star stats and good skills).
3) Hope it offers more stars in at least one stat than your bo could inherit from its own parents. If not, throw it away and buy another.
5) If the new chocobo inherits lovely stars, throw it away and buy a new covering permission to try again.

Stats are totally random in the covering you buy. You can get a bunch of 4s on a pedigree 1 covering while getting a bunch of 1s on a pedigree 9. P9 covering does give better skills though. With coverings being so drat cheap now, it's up to you whether buying P9 covering is worth a chance at inheriting a higher level skill.

I personally spend a lot of effort on step 3 so that step 5-6 doesn't happen (never use any coverings with 1 stars, only have a few 2 stars). I have a P9 bird and I only ever had to re-bred a bird once because it inherited all the lovely stats. As long as you can get a good number of 3-4 stars, you'll be fine. Birds are so quick to rank up now I actually wouldn't spend too much effort perfecting a lower pedigree bird. Just get to 9 and worry about inbreeding then.

bleuraindrops fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Apr 12, 2016

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I miss FFXI fishing. There, I said it.

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.
I've hit 60. Boy. There's... a lot of things I need to be doing.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

We can't have a Dancer class yet, but damned if I ain't tryin'.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I keep getting world data cannot be obtained errors. Excal hosed?

Burger McAngus
May 24, 2010

Seems that way.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

They converted it into nodules for the anima.

Deep Blue Awakened

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thundarr posted:

Don't buy a pedigree 9. There's never been any data pointing or suggesting that higher pedigrees have higher stars on average, only anecdotes and really wishful thinking. I mean, if you're gonna listen to anecdotes, might as well listen to someone who's spent more MGP on pedigrees than it costs to have a Fenrir and an Adamantoise.

Also since your chocobos' actual stars never, ever, ever influence on any of their offspring stars and they will never influence any generation whatsoever since your chocobo stars are discarded for breeding, if you're gonna play the "try 10 attempts" game you might as well try them all before you register any chocobo. Don't throw them all away because you never know how bad the next ones are gonna be. Then register the offspring with the most 4 stars spread across its parents. A 41411 is more valuable than a 43333 in the long run because those 3s are never gonna become 4s.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Apr 12, 2016

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
I just hit 50 on my paladin. As someone who started the game in HW, it seems that the right thing for me to do right now is go into this bone zone and tank some boss in such a way that I get lots of people angry.

I really hope the game gets dancer and that it's a healing class. I want to punch people, not cleric stance to do damage as a healer.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Elentor posted:

Don't buy a pedigree 9. There's never been any data pointing or suggesting that higher pedigrees have higher stars on average, only anecdotes and really wishful thinking. I mean, if you're gonna listen to anecdotes, might as well listen to someone who's spent more MGP on pedigrees than it costs to have a Fenrir and an Adamantoise.

Also since your chocobos' actual stars never, ever, ever influence on any of their offspring stars and they will never influence any generation whatsoever since your chocobo stars are discarded for breeding, if you're gonna play the "try 10 attempts" game you might as well try them all before you register any chocobo. Don't throw them all away because you never know how bad the next ones are gonna be. Then register the offspring with the most 4 stars spread across its parents. A 41411 is more valuable than a 43333 in the long run because those 3s are never gonna become 4s.

The reason to buy pedigree 9's is, as far as I could tell, they are the only ones that give top rank skills.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you're grinding a low rank chocobo it's really not worth it. The odds that you'll keep those skills is very tiny. You can skill reset and fish for skills infinitely before your final chocobo once you have two good parents, but it's a complete and total nightmare to get good stars before that and if you're unlucky like me it'll take literally hundreds of thousands of MGP. Don't make it harder on yourself by wasting it on skills you have a very tiny chance of keeping until the end.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Once you've completed all the challenge races you can also buy all the different skills as skill books, and once you start aiming for the perfect chocobo you're going to be breeding two of your own together anyway.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Mazed posted:

We can't have a Dancer class yet, but damned if I ain't tryin'.

What top is that, with the full cloak?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Is it normal for an MMO to have such frequent patches? I feel like they have to patch the game every week.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

SonicRulez posted:

Is it normal for an MMO to have such frequent patches? I feel like they have to patch the game every week.

It's part of why the game has retained any of it's popularity. They put out more content than any other MMO.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Hotfixes and balance patches are more frequent than a lot of other MMOs, yeah. Free content patches are insanely more frequent.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Is there actually a patch today or is it just the normal weekly maintenance? Because that is basically industry standard.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Tortolia posted:

Is there actually a patch today or is it just the normal weekly maintenance? Because that is basically industry standard.

Well, the notice starts with "In order to implement Patch 3.26" whereas the one on the 3rd was "In order to accompany Patch 3.25 Hotfixes".

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

3.26 is the final patch they're doing before releasing pvp seasons

it contains a buff to dark knights

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Tortolia posted:

There is actually a patch tomorrow (3.26, as mentioned). Today was just weekly maintenance.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Prism posted:

What top is that, with the full cloak?

Coat of the Red Thief, monk gear, set drops from the 3.1 dungeons (Arboretum, Pharos HM). There's a version for ninjas and bard/mechanist as well.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Are there any buffs players can get besides... the Spear, is it?... that reduce all of your cooldowns?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 12, 2016

Logicspren
Oct 21, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Are there any buffs players can get besides... the Spear, is it?... that reduce all of your cooldowns?

I think the Spear is unique in that it's the only recast time-reducing buff in the game. Remember, however, that it only reduces the cooldown of abilities used while it's in effect. It won't retroactively reduce the CD of an ability you used before it was applied.

Logicspren fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Apr 13, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Righto, thanks. I mostly only ask 'cos I saw a reddit post about ACT timers and thought about trying them later, for DWaD and Duality mostly. Keep forgetting those fuckers for some reason.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Logicspren posted:

I think the Spear is unique in that it's the only recast time-reducing buff in the game. Remember, however, that it only reduces the cooldown of abilities used while it's in effect. It won't retroactively the CD of an ability you used before it was applied.

We need a crying selene emote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

ruta posted:

I just hit 50 on my paladin. As someone who started the game in HW, it seems that the right thing for me to do right now is go into this bone zone and tank some boss in such a way that I get lots of people angry.

I really hope the game gets dancer and that it's a healing class. I want to punch people, not cleric stance to do damage as a healer.

People really like to melee or otherwise be right up with the monster for action, which is part of why DPS is always the most popular trait. That said, I think Dancer would be a great idea for XIV... but I think Red Mage and Samurai are already the top picks for the next expansion, and they're not too keen on doing 3 jobs at once again.

• Locked thread