Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Floppychop posted:

The main thing that makes me not want to use power armor is the screen shake.

I get it, I'm wearing a huge suit of metal, but I don't need motion sickness to go with it.

My current play through I'm only using power armor and it's really not that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

JackBadass posted:

How do I get extra lives? I keep getting killed by the guy in the hat.

Collect more hats, that's what your HP is, hat power. More hats means more HP.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

The Rage posted:

My current play through I'm only using power armor and it's really not that bad.

Some people are affected by gratuitous screen shake more than others. I've seen people elsewhere asking about how to get rid of it, including people on Nexus trying to figure out how to mod it out.

Screen shake for explosions or power attacks is cool and good. Screen shake for a simple footstep is too much.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Doesn't look like there's anything beyond settlement stuff for the latest dlc but there's a bunch of new poo poo to play with if you care about that.

Like a generator that gives 100 power all by itself, electrical waterpumps that can be placed in dirt instead of water, curved and angled walls and floors (all concrete) and remote doors, a bunch of non-electrical lights, a bunch of electrical lights, lots of various neon letters, numbers and punctuation, arena team designators, a bunch of premade signs and the letters and numbers to make your own, a shitload of animal heads and some bodyparts, cages for just about every living thing in the Commonwealth.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Can we build fences yet? Metal stairs?

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

There's some concrete stairs, no new metal or shack pieces. As for fences it's the same old junk, picket and wire fences we already had.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Korgan posted:

Doesn't look like there's anything beyond settlement stuff for the latest dlc but there's a bunch of new poo poo to play with if you care about that.

Like a generator that gives 100 power all by itself, electrical waterpumps that can be placed in dirt instead of water, curved and angled walls and floors (all concrete) and remote doors, a bunch of non-electrical lights, a bunch of electrical lights, lots of various neon letters, numbers and punctuation, arena team designators, a bunch of premade signs and the letters and numbers to make your own, a shitload of animal heads and some bodyparts, cages for just about every living thing in the Commonwealth.

Ahaha, I like that the raider cage requires jet. It's basically a cardboard box with a stick, string and the words 'FREE DRUGZ' scrawled on it.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I"m just glad that I don't have to build ramshackle shacks anymore.

Also, :lol: at the raider and gunner cages. So Looney Toons.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 11, 2016

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Words cannot describe how loving hyped I am for this. Do you just have an early access to it, or is the download available today somehow?

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

I'm Aussie, it's already Tuesday here. :v:

EDIT concrete walls seem to have a lot of snap-to zones along their length, letting you make corridors and odd-shaped rooms with the angled walls and short walls a lot easier than fiddling around with shacks and metal structures. Concrete really feels like end-game base building rather than 'poo poo how do I keep the loving rain off these mutfruit farmers'

EDIT EDIT ahaha you can put the water pump on the garden plot, letting you just stick your water off anywhere in the impenetrable bunker and forgetting about it. Classic Bethesda.

Korgan fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 11, 2016

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Except that raiders and super mutants will still phase into existence well inside your fortifications, presumably.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Backhand posted:

Except that raiders and super mutants will still phase into existence well inside your fortifications, presumably.

Then do what I did, find out where they spawn from and setup a shitload of turrets there. :v:

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 11, 2016

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Sounds like they added a lot of stuff to the build menus. I wonder how badly all the building mods will explode, now that they're over the limit.

lunatikfringe
Jan 22, 2003

Korgan posted:

There's some concrete stairs, no new metal or shack pieces. As for fences it's the same old junk, picket and wire fences we already had.

From what I have heard, you can build a junk truck trailer and few junk buses to act as additional segments of junk wall. Can anyone confirm?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
its pretty underwhelming to me, but I guess thats because the settlement stuff felt kind of hollow all along and as far as I can tell the DLC doesn't really address that.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Judging from this I should probably disable the Settlement mods I have before the DLC drops.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Reason posted:

its pretty underwhelming to me, but I guess thats because the settlement stuff felt kind of hollow all along and as far as I can tell the DLC doesn't really address that.

It would have been a lot more compelling if you could actually build settlements - e.g have people do something other than "wander around" and "farm/stare listlessly out from a tiny vending box". Or, at the very least, settlement networks that let you add on types of buildings by having a robust route between you and the next settlement that provides a resource. Perhaps a settlement in woods that harvests wood for buildings? Or a factory that lets you make metal? On top of that, let you actually SEE routes, have to contend with raiders along those routes in some way (such as clearing out newly established raider/gunner dens via Radiant quests) and so forth.

Or, like, it if the Minutemen were a faction that would let you pull together your resources and civilize the wasteland versus farm 60 meters squared every half mile or so. It may be tough to find enough resources to build a wall around half the map, but I'd do it!

Instead, it's just a build a very ugly house simulator without you being able to even set a proper framework on a building to hang a wall on, 200 years after the nuclear war. And, in cases where you take over a place like hangman's alley, you can't even fix the structural damage of the somehow-still-existing buildings.

Edit: I criticize out of love. I actually play this game too much.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Arsten posted:

It would have been a lot more compelling if you could actually build settlements - e.g have people do something other than "wander around" and "farm/stare listlessly out from a tiny vending box". Or, at the very least, settlement networks that let you add on types of buildings by having a robust route between you and the next settlement that provides a resource. Perhaps a settlement in woods that harvests wood for buildings? Or a factory that lets you make metal? On top of that, let you actually SEE routes, have to contend with raiders along those routes in some way (such as clearing out newly established raider/gunner dens via Radiant quests) and so forth.

That might get me more into settlement building. A lot of the locations are just blah, but if they had some unique resource attached to each, and reclaiming that land meant the wasteland benefited in some visible way, that would feel like it had a point.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Floppychop posted:

Judging from this I should probably disable the Settlement mods I have before the DLC drops.

I'm using Homemaker (which owns) and am really lazy, so I'm just going to mash them together and see what breaks. I guess I'll let anyone who's interested know if it's too hosed?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Saint Sputnik posted:

That might get me more into settlement building. A lot of the locations are just blah, but if they had some unique resource attached to each, and reclaiming that land meant the wasteland benefited in some visible way, that would feel like it had a point.

I know. After the third settlement, it's quickly shown to be pointless. Unless you go minuteman, then it's forced on you.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Saint Sputnik posted:

Sounds like there's room for a mod here. Maybe a goon will pick it up once the CK drops.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Saint Sputnik posted:

Yeah this is critical. At the high end settlements provide a.) the means to maintain its own population, which is dumb, and b.) more and more pointless caps. If settlements could be specialized or used for unique resources, or both, I think it'd be more enjoyable.

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013
I for one enjoy the dumb settlement building a lot. Player homes have usually been the first mods I look up for these kinds of games, now I can build my own. The raider/mutant stuff they added in a while back are great for making a real shits-ville aesthetic, my Tenpines settlement is basically a small raider encampment which I add another rickety tower or shack to whenever I visit.

I can totally see why others don't like it though, it's pretty shallow mechanically. Once you get a bunch of water pumps/farms/crafting tables in you're nearing the top end of settlement's reward spectrum outside of nu-survival mode - caps are easy to get anyway, minuteman patrols/reinforcements are weak as piss and story-wise the settlements don't have any real narrative other than 'you went here and saved/killed everyone and built stuff'.

Having something like a noticeable impact on the wasteland or unique resources like the others say would help a bit I think. Something like spawning progressively stronger patrols to and from linked settlements, settlements reliably being able to defend themselves and others from attack after a point, maybe some level of faction interplay (faction-themed build items, ways to attract faction agents to your base for resupply or whatever). I don't honestly know how much of that is feasible in-game though

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Someone needs to make emplaced machinegun furniture so I can make the firebase I always wanted.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
There needs to be a throwable (mini)turret a la Bioshock 2/Borderlands/The Division/etc...

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Mendrian posted:

Yeah this is critical. At the high end settlements provide a.) the means to maintain its own population, which is dumb, and b.) more and more pointless caps. If settlements could be specialized or used for unique resources, or both, I think it'd be more enjoyable.

Frankly posted:

Having something like a noticeable impact on the wasteland or unique resources like the others say would help a bit I think. Something like spawning progressively stronger patrols to and from linked settlements, settlements reliably being able to defend themselves and others from attack after a point, maybe some level of faction interplay (faction-themed build items, ways to attract faction agents to your base for resupply or whatever). I don't honestly know how much of that is feasible in-game though

Or hell, make it Stalker Faction War style -- pick one of the game's factions and fight over the settlements /resource points. I'd love to see this happening in the world around you without you always having to be the agent driving it. Capturing a populated place in a fight would be a heck of a lot more fun than repeated "go kill a supahmutant camp and I'll join you" quests, and make the player feel less like a black and white good guy and more like an amoral mercenary. Faction-themed technology trees would be really cool, focusing on certain weapon or armor styles or unlocking faction-specific settlement tech for resource production.

Morter posted:

There needs to be a throwable (mini)turret a la Bioshock 2/Borderlands/The Division/etc...

Deployable turrets:
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11465/

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Is there an easier way to salvage than to just drop your 12,000 pounds of guns, armor, and junk into the road in sanctuary, enter workshop mode and start scraping it all?

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Aw crap, vanilla Fallout 3 and I'm starting to get completely random crashes. No idea how to troubleshoot this. This is from a fresh install too.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Arsten posted:

Is there an easier way to salvage than to just drop your 12,000 pounds of guns, armor, and junk into the road in sanctuary, enter workshop mode and start scraping it all?

I don't think you have to salvage scrap...but otherwise I only pick up weapons that are more than a base model, so I get decent mats out of it (having scrapper 2 and all)

:eyepop:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
The thing that gets me about the settlement building is that building is all you do. I mean, building stuff is cool don't get me wrong, but I think it'd be neat if there was more you could do with regard to actually running the place-establishing law and order, settling disputes, rooting out synths, making trade agreements, forging defense pacts, that kind of thing. I mean, what's the point of building Bartertown if you can't actually run Bartertown?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Morter posted:

I don't think you have to salvage scrap...but otherwise I only pick up weapons that are more than a base model, so I get decent mats out of it (having scrapper 2 and all)

I pick up everything. There's a reason I love automata so much: Cargo pants on robots!

But at the same time, what am I going to do with scrap that I don't salvage? Is that what the salvage station does?

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Arsten posted:

I pick up everything. There's a reason I love automata so much: Cargo pants on robots!

But at the same time, what am I going to do with scrap that I don't salvage? Is that what the salvage station does?

Just dump it in the workbench. Whenever you build/craft something, it'll automatically break down junk in the workbench into the raw materials. If you have supply lines set up (from the first rank of Local Leader), it'll use junk in connected settlements' workbenches if it needs to.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Arsten posted:

Just throw all the scrap in your workshop and forget about it. When you craft something it will automatically salvage poo poo from the scrap you've piled in the workshop. No need to manually scrap/salvage it in the workshop mode.

The salvage station just makes a settler slowly add random scrap to the workshop.

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013

Arsten posted:

unless you've got the scrapper perks scrapping guns and armour probably isn't worth it. Personally I'll only really scrap guns and use the weapons bench to check what I've got and scrap the useless ones. Junk itself you don't need to scrap, just go to the workshop, transfer and 'Store All Junk'. Salvage stations (the little junk workbench thing you can build, right?) can have settlers assigned to them to generate a slow stream of junk that builds up when you're out adventuring.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I mean, what's the point of building Bartertown if you can't actually run Bartertown?

thinking about it this is what a lot of people find unsatisfying with the building system. However Bethesda have also been pushing from the start that the whole building thing be totally optional to the player so they're probably not too keen on trying to bulk out an 'optional' gameplay feature.

Plus I've just been watching a settler get confused by an ankle-height platform for about a minute or so. maybe there might be bigger problems with going too deep

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
"Junk" items are automatically scrapped when you need their components during crafting/building. When you open the workshop inventory there's a button to dump all your junk instantly. If you're playing New-Survival, you'll need to pull your empty bottles back out to fill them at a water pump.

Salvage stations are a settler job station to produce junk (settlers already produce junk when not assigned other tasks, this just generates more). Largely worthless because if you're storing your own junk in the workshop, it'll max out the item count and stop generating new items. It may or may not be useful for settlements connected via supply routes, but the system is clunky and nobody is sure how it works exactly.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Red Mundus posted:

Aw crap, vanilla Fallout 3 and I'm starting to get completely random crashes. No idea how to troubleshoot this. This is from a fresh install too.

I've heard that the most stable way to play Fallout 3 these days is to play it within New Vegas with the Tale Of Two Wastelands mod

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

2house2fly posted:

I've heard that the most stable way to play Fallout 3 these days is to play it within New Vegas with the Tale Of Two Wastelands mod

lmao don't be a dick

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Volkerball posted:

lmao don't be a dick

It's true

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Have you played TTW? After about 20 hours I uninstalled and went back to playing vanilla. I don't want to be harsh on it because the creators did a really good job for how ambitious it was as a project, but saying it was more stable than vanilla, or even playable as more than a gimmick, is a bit of stretch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Oops I'm an idiot. I meant fallout 4 keeps crashing randomly. Not 3.

However I just played for a few hours and all seemed well so it was probably just gamebryo jank.

• Locked thread