Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

lol these people who didn't play bloodborne

I didn't like bloodborne at all yet I'm loving this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Cactus posted:

So is there anyone here for whom this is their first Souls Game? I know it's a long shot but I'd love to hear some first impressions from you, if you even exist.

I only played a few hours of Dark Souls and I've never played DS2, BB, or DeS

of course, I live on the internet so I have seen lots of videos of those games being played by other people

I like it. It's fun. I picked the Assassin and I'm just roll-roll-rollin and stab-stab-stabbin. Right now I'm not sure if I'm actually supposed to kill Katanabro because he has sure as gently caress owned me hard the last 15 times I've tried to fight him.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Oxxidation posted:

The first boss is basically Sif in that it has an insta-murder radius at midrange but can't do much to you at kissing distance - its few shortrange attacks aren't very strong and are mostly there to smash you flat so it can open up some distance again.

See this was my experience for the fight most of the time. Then he'd suddenly pull out some super fast move that also did a good chunk of damage. I beat him, but I don't really feel like I learned anything. It felt like he let me win since he just did slow attacks instead of fast one.

At least for shiedless he seems way harder than the first real boss of any other Souls game.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Alright, before I get crackin on the worst game in the series, is there a guide to joining each covenant? Or can someone spoil w/ tag how to join purple bros amd sun bros? There was a post in the Japanese thread but I lost it.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

For someone who has never played a DS game, what's the best class to start as?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Blind Rasputin posted:

Deprived.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I managed not to read anything about this and after about two hours I just noticed the skills on weapons and poo poo :eyepop:

Also lol those loving knights in the first area that just shield bash to the back/left over and over when you try the shield+strafe strat that beat 99% of enemies in the other games.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
What's a good estimated TTC, or, time to Claymore in this game? Trying to decide between a dex-y character or a balanced one

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

this is a good game

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I have read you start naked though. Is this the actual real answer or just the accepted goon starting race?

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

quadrophrenic posted:

I like it. It's fun. I picked the Assassin and I'm just roll-roll-rollin and stab-stab-stabbin. Right now I'm not sure if I'm actually supposed to kill Katanabro because he has sure as gently caress owned me hard the last 15 times I've tried to fight him.

He is a honorable soul and will assist you on coldboss if you defeat him after giving you his thousand folded hanzo steel uchigatana quenched in the blood of you over and over and over, shirt and gloves. There is no progression behind him by the way if you just wanna nope on out of there.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
an enemy hulked out and killed me while i was on the ground, i thought you had invincibility while on the ground like a goddamn pancake

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

So you really only need to up VIT enough so you don't fat roll correct?

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Blind Rasputin posted:

I have read you start naked though. Is this the actual real answer or just the accepted goon starting race?

Pick knight for starts if you're quite literally new to the game genre. The shield and metal armor will assist you in not taking as much damage as, say, getting hit in the face while wearing diapers.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
whereabouts can I get some chaos gems

gotta make this zweihander a bit more chaotic so I can actually do damage

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Blind Rasputin posted:

These jerks are just loving with you. Use whatever you feel like.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Fellatio del Toro posted:

I managed not to read anything about this and after about two hours I just noticed the skills on weapons and poo poo :eyepop:

Also lol those loving knights in the first area that just shield bash to the back/left over and over when you try the shield+strafe strat that beat 99% of enemies in the other games.

Constantly switching between stances and shield bashing your face. You can definitely tell From put extra work to make sure that they will wreck your poo poo.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Hmm, that was the fourth crash in the tutorial area, this time no flames involved, although I did get the ember effect on my cape so maybe that was what caused it? Who knows.

Guess I'm stuck waiting for some third party guy to come along and fix FROMs game once more. Game seemed alright, but they really upped the ante with the tutorial boss, or maybe I just missed some trick for him.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
also what the gently caress is this hollowing stat on my character sheet

am i gonna die

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Thief is a good starting class because his knife attacks fast.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I got my rear end kicked by the first real enemy and my smile was so big the whole awful fight.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
Mostly spoiler free.

This boss? gently caress this boss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOmFdMXQaK8

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I'm at work until 11am tomorrow and will buy this and a big loving burger and play it until I pass out. First DS game ever here I come.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Gortarius posted:

Game seemed alright, but they really upped the ante with the tutorial boss, or maybe I just missed some trick for him.

Pick deprived, iframe roll through everything, and go HAM with your club to stagger. Once in :ssj: form, if the boss does any sort of movement whatsoever, roll the hell out of the way and continue to club him until he staggers.

Sleazoid
Nov 13, 2007

I keep getting wrecked because I'm trying to be aggressive all the time. The regain and 20 health potions from Bloodborne have gave me some habits that need kicking.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rolo posted:

I got my rear end kicked by the first real enemy and my smile was so big the whole awful fight.

I saw the tutorial message that turned back, knew exactly what was going to happen, and ran in anyway. :haw:

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
I guess this is my first souls game assuming Bloodborne doesn't count.

What the gently caress is a fat roll? Some kind of sushi?

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Ulvirich posted:

Pick deprived, iframe roll through everything, and go HAM with your club to stagger. Once in :ssj: form, if the boss does any sort of movement whatsoever, roll the hell out of the way and continue to club him until he staggers.

Yeah I finally got him with some dual scimitar action. I don't know if its the case but I'm sort of expecting there to be a lot more bosses that don't fit the screen/you can't see what they are about to do next.

Speaking of the dualwields, what's the point? they don't seem to do anymore damage than just swinging one handed scimitar? More likely to stagger?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Found a firekeeper's soul. No idea what it does.

More importantly I got the "Hello" carving. I'm criminally underleveled since I started as deprived :shepface: and blew 20k souls on the key you need to get to the crows but drat it it's worth it.

Also got a uchigatana for killing that dude over to the left of the firelink approach. Guess I'm going dex this game!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

RBA Starblade posted:

I saw the tutorial message that turned back, knew exactly what was going to happen, and ran in anyway. :haw:

Not that guy :ghost:

panda clue
May 23, 2014
praise the soup!

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Avalanche posted:

It means you're wearing a fuckload of stuff relative to what you can carry and so you flop around like a fatty

Akoogly Eyes
Apr 27, 2010

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes

Avalanche posted:

Your roll is better the lower your equip load is. The breakpoints are as follows:

100 %+ Can't roll
70 - 100 % Fat roll, sucks, get lower weight ASAP
30 - 70 % Mid roll, works fine, but if you get even lower...
0 - 30 % Fast roll, super awesome but you lose out on good armor

Distance covered by your roll scales smoothly from 0 to 100. I am not an expert on this game but I think this is how it works.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
So... I summoned a mad ghost and killed it, didn't get anything :confused: why would anyone summon purple ghosts if the host doesn't get anything by winning ?

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

Avalanche posted:

There are 3 different types of dodge roll you can do, depending on how much your armor/weapons weigh. Fat roll is the worst one and you basically just hurl yourself to the ground and strain to not break your ankles standing back up.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
So far my experience with the first boss has been impossible with thief, killed it first try with knight somewhere in the middle of my thief attempts. Turned out I wasn't leveraging the bleed at all. I'm bad

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 12, 2016

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

ZZZorcerer posted:

So... I summoned a mad ghost and killed it, didn't get anything :confused: why would anyone summon purple ghosts if the host doesn't get anything by winning ?

purples can help the host by fighting enemies and invaders. unfortunately a lot of people are boring and just use it like a red sign.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
Goon roll

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The first boss made me sweat a little bit, but I did take him down on the first try. I get the feeling he's the Cleric Beast of this game though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Blind Rasputin posted:

Herald has a good mixture of passive and active defense (you get a 100% physical block shield, which is useful against almost every enemy in the game), as well as the Heal Aid spell to give yourself a bit more HP. The Spear isn't a great weapon, but you can replace it with a fairly strong straightsword once you get to the first area in the game.