Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I'd like to be the kind of person who is able to say "I never take income into consideration when forming an opinion of someone" but when someone pulling down $120k a year in an area where the average mortgage payment is less than $500 a month whines at me about how rough they have it, I really do have to wonder what the heck they've got to complain about (other than income tax). Is it a crippling-but-well-hidden drug habit? Are you blowing it all at the OTB parlor? Support payments? Good god, where is all that money going? That's like eight thousand dollars a month after taxes, what are you doing with it all?

There's a small vindictive part of me that says "I wish this jerk knew what 'having it rough' meant" when I hear stuff like that, but it's quickly silenced when I realize that I'm wishing for someone to know the joy of being a kid, standing in line with your parents at the VFW on Christmas Eve waiting for an unemployed, disabled veteran to give you a free present because your family is so poor that you don't even have a Christmas tree.

Jesus, where is it you live? Not to out myself or anything, but that's my salary and I'm making about $5k/mo after taxes. I'm not complaining, I'm just not sure your numbers are right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuddyChrist
Apr 29, 2008

cyberia posted:

Have you ever asked your parents why they chose the name 'Chad'? That goes for everyone with crazy-rear end names that have haunted them through their lives. Do your parents at least have a good reason for saddling you with these albatrosses?

Realistically it's been quite a while since they picked the name so connotations change. The name was more popular when they picked it.

I looked it up to be sure and when my parents gave me the name it was ranked 35th most popular name in the country, now it's fallen to 700 something. Meanwhile Chadwick barely ever breaks the top 300 and often falls below 1000 and isn't listed.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Ugh. I've just been on a flight, and there was a massive crowd of people lining up to board well before any call for boarding, regardless of the fact that disabled passengers (they were not) and certain rows (that they were not in) are called first. Congratulations, you get to wait five seconds longer for the plane to take off. Oh, and of course people unbuckling their seat belts as soon as the plane touches down, audible over the instruction to wait for the seatbelt light to turn off. Again, you're not getting out of the plane any faster. Impatience annoys me enough as it is, but needless impatience that doesn't achieve anything anyway is just petty. :argh:

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
You just reminded me--people that clap when a plane lands. If it was a particularly tricky landing, or a flight full of turbulence, that's one thing, but I'm talking about regular, uneventful flights, the kind that these pilots make every day. They don't need applause, for god's sake. Last month I was on a flight where people started clapping when luggage started coming out of the baggage claim carousel. Sure, it was a slightly longer wait than usual for our bags, but clapping for that is just plain dumb.

See also: clapping in movie theaters.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Well done, movie! Bravo!!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

you realize how many microbes are just floating around, waiting to infiltrate your lungs and infect you with all kinds of horrible diseases? americans are the world's leading producers of claps for a reason. it's to cleanse the air of bacteria and free radicals

it's the alternative to using vaccines, which cause autism of course

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

AlphaKretin posted:

Ugh. I've just been on a flight, and there was a massive crowd of people lining up to board well before any call for boarding, regardless of the fact that disabled passengers (they were not) and certain rows (that they were not in) are called first. Congratulations, you get to wait five seconds longer for the plane to take off. Oh, and of course people unbuckling their seat belts as soon as the plane touches down, audible over the instruction to wait for the seatbelt light to turn off. Again, you're not getting out of the plane any faster. Impatience annoys me enough as it is, but needless impatience that doesn't achieve anything anyway is just petty. :argh:

I line up early all the time, but not in a place where I'm in the way. The people who are actually a problem are the ones who actually try and board ahead of their time. When I flew back to the US last week I saw a woman try and board during the disabilities call, then again for people with small children, then a third time during business class boarding. She was playing the "I don't speak english or german" card but thankfully the attendants weren't having it - I hate seeing people get rewarded for being annoying enough. For the seatbelts, usually I don't see people unbuckle early unless we're stopped at the gate which I think is fine. The light's coming off in like 10 seconds anyway. The worst is when there's a delay in customs or whatever and we have to stay on the plane for an additional 20-30 minutes, and people remain standing in the aisle with their rear end hovering in front of my face the whole time. Sit back down damnit.

As for clapping, I fly several times a year and have never seen that actually happen except for one instance where there was heavy turbulence and it was the second attempt after an aborted landing. I can accept some clapping when the pilot did an above average job in not killing us all. It doesn't belong in movies at all though, unless maybe if you're at a first screening and cast members/directors are in the audience, but how often does that happen to you?

My movie peeve is people who get pissed when you get up as soon as the credits start. I don't care if there might be extras after/during the credits, watch it on youtube or something after we get home. I can't remember the last time one of them was worth the extra few minutes of sitting in the theater.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Maggie Fletcher posted:

This alone made me vow to never see a midnight showing ever again.

The one flight I was on with applause was when one of our right engine wouldn't turn on, and they had to turn us around and land after 20 minutes. I'm a terrible flyer, I was already whiteknuckle about the flying in general. I convinced myself that "if you're going to die in this plane, but you don't know it, it's pointless to get scared and worked up"; and that actually calmed me down a bit. And not 10 seconds later, the intercom came on with the pilot telling up an engine didn't start up. I almost shat.

Captain Lavender has a new favorite as of 22:53 on Apr 9, 2016

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Murphy Brownback posted:

Sit back down damnit.

Not a chance, I've been crammed into this sardine can for hours, I'll stand and stretch just as soon as I can

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Arrath posted:

Not a chance, I've been crammed into this sardine can for hours, I'll stand and stretch just as soon as I can

But you're still crammed in it. The aisle is just as crowded as your seat was because everyone's standing in it with their bags now. If you can't stand sitting another 15 minutes, at least have the courtesy to face your rear end that has been festering in your seat for the past 10 hours away from the person you're preventing from standing with you.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Oh, yeah sorry. I meant being in the way and actually getting on early.

I've never seen clapping for the pilots either, just to chip in, though the closest I've had to an in-flight malfunction was a 5 minute take-off delay for a toilet light to be fixed.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

BuddyChrist posted:

Realistically it's been quite a while since they picked the name so connotations change. The name was more popular when they picked it.

I looked it up to be sure and when my parents gave me the name it was ranked 35th most popular name in the country, now it's fallen to 700 something. Meanwhile Chadwick barely ever breaks the top 300 and often falls below 1000 and isn't listed.

Sorry to continue to name-chat bitching but my first name is "Janos". It's not hard to say. "'Yah-Nosh" with a long "o".

I don't mind if you can't say it. Just say it wrong then. That's fine. But stop asking me repeatedly how to say it. "janis? janawsh? yanas? yacknosh?" I have actually had a person pronounce my name "Jacknosh".

Just loving try! Or don't. I don't give a gently caress, just don't bother saying my name if you can't pronounce words like "cat" and "dog".

"Keesht???"
"Dooge???"

Stop adding letters and learn to repeat the sounds that I'm saying. Or just say it wrong. Just stop asking again and again and again... I used to tell people my name was John so I wouldn't have to repeat my own name endlessly.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
People who are feeling lovely or have lovely lives and take it out on random people who have nothing to do with it. I don't care if you just got diagnosed with cancer or have been living on the street for a decade, you're pretty much worthless in my eyes if you think that excuses you yelling a some cashier you're never even seen before.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
On Russian airlines people clap at every landing.. Because the planes are broken pieces of poo poo and the pilots are probably drunk. Also they used to allow smoking well into the mid 90s, on trans-Atlantic flights.

Um content... Smokers who don't respect the "stand 15 feet away from the door" thing and just stand right in front of the door. I don't care if it's cold, you chose to smoke. This is especially bad when there's an air vent or air conditioner above the door.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

pet peeve: smokers in general

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Smokers can be the worst, makes me glad a lot of businesses near me adopted the no smoking indoors or on premises rule. One past help desk job banned it outright because people were smoking outside all the doorways or in the outdoor parking garage, and throwing their cigs and trash on the ground. After complaints about how lovely it looked and cleaners getting tired of it, they banned smoking anywhere on the building grounds - which led to people going to the neighboring bank parking lot, smoking, tossing their cigs and getting yelled at when a bank employee called our building to bitch. Smokers can be some of the laziest, most selfish assholes, second only to bicyclists that think traffic laws don't apply to them.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

AlphaKretin posted:

There's a term for these people: gate lice.

I was just on a flight the other day where the plane landed and taxied to the gate for approximately three thousand years and when we finally got to the gate the asslords at the front of the plane were like "oh I guess I gotta start gathering my things now!" and nearly caused me to miss my connection standing in the aisle waiting for them to collect all their worldly possessions they'd strewn about the aircraft over the past hour and a half.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

You think, "I'm going to go buy [x]" and then go to a store and it's closed. :mad: This happens to me a lot. I live above a convenience store and sometimes they randomly close at two, and now my cat is mad because we are out of food. INCONVENIENCE STORE

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I want to buy an all-electric vehicle sometime soon, but the cost of ownership is still higher over an estimated 100k miles compared to similarly-equipped IC engine cars. Even including tax credits. Come on car companies, someone bite the bullet and make an electric car with a workable range priced around the same as a similar ICE car. I want to save the earth but why are you making me pay the premium to do so.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I don't like it when products use the legally-mandated ingredients declaration as an opportunity for more marketing. It feels like it defeats the purpose of keeping them honest. I often see it with trendy health foods, I mentioned in the SAL Pseudoscience thread that I found a "mylk" claiming to include alkaline water, which if you're not aware is not literally alkaline (that would probably not be safe to drink) but rather pulled out of idiots' collective asses, and what prompted me to post this was a drink that listed "Antioxidant (Ascorbic Acid)" as an ingredient. Ascorbic Acid is the ingredient, that's all you need to and should be allowed to say. The fact that it is(?) an antioxidant isn't relevant at all to what constitutes the drink, let alone moreso than what it actually is. :argh:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Jesus, where is it you live? Not to out myself or anything, but that's my salary and I'm making about $5k/mo after taxes. I'm not complaining, I'm just not sure your numbers are right.

Eastern Texas.

Eh, it was an off-the-top-of-my-head estimation. I didn't factor in social security, retirement, healthcare, etc., so I was probably off by more than a little bit (I'm also terrible at math).

Also, that particular coworker I was complaining about just took $10k out of savings to make a down payment on a brand new car. "Waaaaaah, I'm so poor" :argh:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Hearing the phrase that something in a movie/video game/comic/whatever "wasn't earned" is a nails on chalkboard thing for me. In the bulk of my experiences hearing it, it's a person just refusing to accept something the product is putting out there and/or not understanding/acknowledgeding the throughlines that lead up to it.

Coolspaz
Feb 26, 2004
And so it came to pass, and so it was told, quoth the raven "never more"
When talking on the phone and someone is very quiet, so you ask them to speak up, and they in the same volume say "is that better" no, it is not better, it's exactly the loving same, so you ask again, and around we go till I give up and can't hear anything they say till they decide speaker phone isn't working and pick up the receiver, makes me insane!!

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
The word copypasta. Especially when spoken aloud.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

More people sick at work and bringing it in to share, yay! :suicide:

Hey, rear end in a top hat that's been hacking up a lung for the past week, thanks for admitting that you could've stayed home but were too much of a stubborn dickhole to do it! Or admitting you didn't want to "ruin your vacation plans" by taking PTO! Thanks for not even considering that OTHER people might have plans for their PTO that you just ruined by making them sick you loving ignorant selfish bag of rotten fetid poo poo!

God I wish I had any pull so I could have HR take all your PTO and redistribute it to all the people you get (and have gotten) sick. I hope whatever bullshit vacation you take ends up being the worst loving experience and you end up making GBS threads and puking your stupid brains out with gastroenteritis and pass it to your idiot family so they can enjoy the experience too. Goddamn I want to throw you out a loving window right now and you're lucky I have the sense and self control NOT to.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Two phone-related pet peeves:

- I want to use Android Pay, but it won't let me use it unless I put on a stronger lock screen than a swipe screen. I get why they want it, but gently caress that noise.

- Because of stupid privacy wonks bitching a fit about it, I can't just turn on my GPS on my phone, noooooo. That'd be too convenient. No, I have to see a cautionary screen reminding me that turning on my phone's GPS will allow other people to know where I am (:aaaaa:). There use to be two of such screens, but a random software upgrade allowed me to disable one. But not both.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

MisterBibs posted:

Two phone-related pet peeves:

- I want to use Android Pay, but it won't let me use it unless I put on a stronger lock screen than a swipe screen. I get why they want it, but gently caress that noise.

- Because of stupid privacy wonks bitching a fit about it, I can't just turn on my GPS on my phone, noooooo. That'd be too convenient. No, I have to see a cautionary screen reminding me that turning on my phone's GPS will allow other people to know where I am (:aaaaa:). There use to be two of such screens, but a random software upgrade allowed me to disable one. But not both.

My phone likes to let me know that listening to music at high volume might damage my ears. Sorry, Momorola :rolleyes:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Crow Jane posted:

My phone likes to let me know that listening to music at high volume might damage my ears. Sorry, Momorola

Mine does this when I'm just trying to watch a basketball game loudly enough to hear on the bus

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Crow Jane posted:

My phone likes to let me know that listening to music at high volume might damage my ears. Sorry, Momorola :rolleyes:
On Windows Phone, you will not be warned beforehand, but randomly (supposedly after a number of cumulative hours of listening at high volume) it will turn down the level on its own. Cumulative. That means it could happen five minutes into your current session, which could be the first one in the last six months. Doesn't care. Possibly you're exclusively listening through a Bluetooth speaker with its own volume controls. Doesn't care. In the shower? Don't give a gently caress, buddy, you've been listening to loud music for too long; let me help you out.

I'd love for it to simply prompt me at the start, even if it's every time. Or, you know, let me sign a waiver I have to fax in to get rid of the behaviour altogether. Anything.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Ozz81 posted:

Hey, rear end in a top hat that's been hacking up a lung for the past week, thanks for admitting that you could've stayed home but were too much of a stubborn dickhole to do it! Or admitting you didn't want to "ruin your vacation plans" by taking PTO! Thanks for not even considering that OTHER people might have plans for their PTO that you just ruined by making them sick you loving ignorant selfish bag of rotten fetid poo poo!

God I wish I had any pull so I could have HR take all your PTO and redistribute it to all the people you get (and have gotten) sick. I hope whatever bullshit vacation you take ends up being the worst loving experience and you end up making GBS threads and puking your stupid brains out with gastroenteritis and pass it to your idiot family so they can enjoy the experience too. Goddamn I want to throw you out a loving window right now and you're lucky I have the sense and self control NOT to.

This is also one of my major pet peeves.

These people are always the pompous egotistical assbags who think the whole company will go down in flames if they miss one single day and are also the types who give people who DO take sick days grief. If you're THAT important you can work from home, and also if you're that important you probably have an office with a door you can shut to contain your germs.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
When I was a teenager and super enthusiastic at being THE BEST retail employee, I came into work with a horrible flu because I didn't want to miss work, the manager was like, "go home." So I did. She was a good manager.

Also there was a guy who had mono and didn't tell anyone for a while, but when management found out they put him on 2 week leave (he was an hourly retail employee, we def had good managers cause they didn't fire him). Funny story is I got mono from that but I am one of the few who never got any symptoms. I only found out because I infected two people after that from sexy times, one of which was an ex who i obviously slept with before without infecting him. Sorry dudes :/

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 02:59 on Apr 12, 2016

Senator Sprinkles
Aug 16, 2008

Songs or radio broadcasts (I.e. Things you might listen to on your car radio) that have car horn sounds in them.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Problem is, the guy in question is a peer, he's not a manager or anyone high up enough to have their own office. Just once, ONCE i want the manager to basically give assholes like him 3 choices:

- Take a PTO day and go to the loving doctor, or
- Work from home and go to the loving doctor, or
- Get sent home unpaid if they refuse to do one of the above

I mean loving hell, I just got over a major surgery and was out of work for a month and a half. Then came back to MORE stupid sick assholes because it was December, the height of cold/flu season, and another idiot in the office did the SAME loving THING. Everyone has remote access - sales, engineers, managers, you name it - and everyone has a work cell they can use to call into meetings and either their own laptop or a spare they can use to work from home.

They all need to yank their ears to pop their heads out of their asses, goddamn it's infuriating.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
People who don't get flu shots. "Well I never get sick :smug:"

After the aforementioned flu I've gotten the shot every year as soon as it's available, I should be the one being :smug:, not you assholes!

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Crow Jane posted:

Mine does this too, especially after I finish a phone call with my actual mom, who is the kind of person who talks on the phone like she's trying to communicate with you at the actual distance she's calling from. I.e.: "HI HONEY I'M IN COSTCO HOW ARE YOU". If that didn't break my eardrums, I'm sure my music will be fine, phone.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Ozz81 posted:

It's bad, of course, but most of the time it's more the fault of the company/managers than the individual employees, because they created an environment where either people feel like they have to come in when they're sick or where it's just less hassle to come in than to deal with whatever happens when you take a sick day. Of course, there are always some people who just won't admit they're sick or like to think they're tough enough to work through it or whatever, but even with them it still comes down to the manager not telling them to go home.

Crow Jane posted:

Mine does this, and I don't know if it's the phone or my headphones or what, but I need the volume at maximum to be able to hear it properly. Also, the message pops up over the controls, so if I started a podcast yesterday and want to finish it today I have to remember to go to the right place in the track before I adjust the volume or I'll have to wait for the message to go away before I can.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Sorry to bring back the name chat but Ursula and Fiona are both lovely names.

My kids were born in the early-mid 2000s and we gave them alliterative names, and a couple of "quirky" spellings. Over the years I grew ashamed and have told them all that they are free to change the spelling of their names or change their names completely to whatever they want. I remind them once-in-a-while but they still politely decline.

SciFiDownBeat posted:

pet peeve: smokers in general
When I was a kid you could smoke anywhere. Airplanes, restaurants, church, the movies, whatever. I know that it is inconsiderate to non-smokers, but coming from a background where smoking was the cultural norm may contribute to my disproportionate reaction when I get flak from a non-smokers, especially if it is vitriolic.

Ozz81 posted:

I am this guy but only because I have lost way too many jobs for calling in sick. A lot of places just don't care, they can simply hire someone else who won't call in.

titties has a new favorite as of 05:25 on Apr 12, 2016

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine

titties posted:

I am this guy but only because I have lost way too many jobs for calling in sick. A lot of places just don't care, they can simply hire someone else who won't call in.

Ding ding ding. Also, if you work in an office for example and everybody comes in sick, what incentive do you have for being the good guy and staying home? So that all the work assholes that keep getting you sick don't catch your poo poo? They obv care more about that extra day of pay than they do about the health of their co-workers. gently caress you got mine at its best.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Crow Jane posted:

My tablet does this because it thinks the speaker I have plugged in is a headphone. So the speaker is no louder than the built in speaker of the tablet. So much for watching Netflix in the shower.

Another peeve is that the ads on Pandora are so much louder than the music. No biggie at home with the speakers, much awful if I have headphones in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I don't like things that autocorrect basic text smilies into emojis (SA emoticons are fine). If I meant big_ugly_smile.png I'd select that, I meant ":)". And for fucks sake, ":3" isn't even always meant to be a cat face!