Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Morbus posted:

Good points all around guys. I checked up on the Energy Generation Megathread to read about the comparative reliability of Volvos and you guys did not disappoint. Please keep up the good work and lets try not to derail the discussion with anything about power plants, global energy production, or other stupid poo poo like that. I wanna hear what a bunch of laymen retard hacks think about cars because lord knows I can't get that kind of high caliber discussion anywhere else.

Yeah, you're right, the potential for mass adoption of electric vehicles to replace a lot of the current internal combustion engines that consume 70% of all oil used in the USA each year has nothing whatsoever to do with energy generation. Let's let the thread go dead loving silent for another month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I prefer to read about what a bunch of laymen retard hacks think about nuclear energy.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

What do you guys think of the big solar plant they are doing in Morocco?
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/02/04/465568055/morocco-unveils-a-massive-solar-power-plant-in-the-sahara

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

:ssh: You might want to let the mechanics of the world know that :ssh:

Mechanics still have a ton of work, but modern cars are amazingly resilient. I've been driving a car from 1998 for 8 years and it has 200k miles on it and I have never once had a problem that kept the car from running and getting me where I needed to go. Minor issues and maintenance, yeah, but nothing showstopping. That's the norm, not the exception. 90 years of experience and billions of units produced tends to make an industry pretty effective at making a good product.

Electric cars have a lot of new problems to solve, but they're standing on the shoulders of giants, there are new parts and problems to work through, but a huge hunk of problems that cars have that have had 90 years of iterative development and problem solving are shared between them. Electric cars will be on par or better in terms of reliability after a handful of generations.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I had a 2001 Kia and a New Beetle and they had expensive problems and sucked. Meanwhile the worst problems my Leaf has had is a lovely a/c hose that the dealer fixed for free.

Checkmate, ICEtheists. Elon is real, and our God who brings us what any true God does: tax breaks. But only if you believe. And reserve now.

Ok seriously though I'm really sad that Ivanpah was apparently such a disaster they might not build more solar collectors in the US. They're my favorite kind of power plant. :(

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Morbus posted:

Good points all around guys. I checked up on the Energy Generation Megathread to read about the comparative reliability of Volvos and you guys did not disappoint. Please keep up the good work and lets try not to derail the discussion with anything about power plants, global energy production, or other stupid poo poo like that. I wanna hear what a bunch of laymen retard hacks think about cars because lord knows I can't get that kind of high caliber discussion anywhere else.

Cars use energy. Electric cars require innovative energy storage and distribution. Seems relevant to an Energy Generation Megathread. Although maybe the title should be changed to "Energy Generation, Storage, and Distribution Megathread", to really clarify expectations?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Meh. With generation, distribution is implicit.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

silence_kit posted:

I prefer to read about what a bunch of laymen retard hacks think about nuclear energy.

Speak for yourself. Real nuclear engineers and physicists actually post in this thread

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

QuarkJets posted:

Speak for yourself. Real nuclear engineers and physicists actually post in this thread

No you see, my internet qualifications allow me to dismiss your internet qualifications.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
How far technologically is Best Korea behind in nuclear power development? Maybe someone should convince Un to become the darling of the world by being the nation to develop a reactor you can bury in the backyard to power the neighborhood.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Phanatic posted:

I'm not complaining about it, I'm pointing it out as a factor.

How many people work at your place of employment? Do you see your company installing electric chargers for more than a tiny fraction of them to be able to show up at work and plug in their cars? On the company's dime, no less?

I've seen far more chargers than cars actually.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

Real (ex) automotive engineers do too. :ssh:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Taffer posted:

Mechanics still have a ton of work, but modern cars are amazingly resilient. I've been driving a car from 1998 for 8 years and it has 200k miles on it and I have never once had a problem that kept the car from running and getting me where I needed to go. Minor issues and maintenance, yeah, but nothing showstopping. That's the norm, not the exception. 90 years of experience and billions of units produced tends to make an industry pretty effective at making a good product.

You can do this with cars from the 1980s. This isn't a new thing.

Anecdote aside, I've seen plenty of new cars that needed major repairs due to poor design or poor maintenance. Its just the toll of a complex mechanical and electrical system.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Peabody declared bankruptcy! The majority of the world's largest coal producers have declared bankruptcy in the last year I think.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 13, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Trabisnikof posted:

Peabody declared bankruptcy! The majority of the world's largest coal producers have declared bankruptcy in the last year I think.

And demand is still rising.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

So... consolidation in China?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Demand is rising slower than ever and half of projected demand growth comes from China, which is finally being honest about coal use.

quote:

Following more than a decade of aggressive growth, global coal demand has stalled, the International Energy Agency said Friday in its annual coal market report. The report sharply lowered its five-year global coal demand growth forecast in reflection of economic restructuring in China, which represents half of global coal consumption. Greater policy support for renewable energy and energy efficiency – the foundation of the COP21 agreement in Paris – is also expected to dent coal demand.

http://www.iea.org/newsroomandevent...ess-growth.html

IEA even describes a potential for Chinese coal demand to have already peaked, as economic and energy changes continue to occur there.

Coal isn't dead but the prognosis isn't good.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

IEA even describes a potential for Chinese coal demand to have already peaked, as economic and energy changes continue to occur there.

Coal isn't dead but the prognosis isn't good.

:getin:

I mean it only took China like a decade of smog to get the point, but now that they've gotten it, they're doubling down on everything but coal.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

CommieGIR posted:

Very slowly, with a huge decreases in the growth rate in China and India in particular (US coal demand has been consistently decreasing for years, although our exports of coal has been up).

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
Any move away from coal is positive.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/apr/13/solar-power-sets-new-british-record-by-beating-coal-for-a-day

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

Mozi posted:

we built this city

we built this city on sand and piss

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Drilling down to links to the actual chart, natural gas was producing more than double coal and solar combined. Good job?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

hobbesmaster posted:

Drilling down to links to the actual chart, natural gas was producing more than double coal and solar combined. Good job?

It sure pollutes a lot less, even if it still sucks.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nevvy Z posted:

How far technologically is Best Korea behind in nuclear power development? Maybe someone should convince Un to become the darling of the world by being the nation to develop a reactor you can bury in the backyard to power the neighborhood.

If I recall Best Korea's infrastructure problems, that may actually be the only viable form of nuclear power for the country. It doesn't just have a capacity problem, it's got really lovely HV infrastructure too so it'd probably just catch fire if you hooked it up to a serious power plant.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

fishmech posted:

It sure pollutes a lot less, even if it still sucks.

Methane is a much more potent greenhouse gas.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

CommieGIR posted:

So roughly the same as coal when it comes to climate impacts and better in almost every other way?

I'll take it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

CommieGIR posted:

Coal plants emit more methane during normal operations than natural gas plants do. Largely because most of the methane at a natural gas plant is being actively burned for power.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

CommieGIR posted:

Which shouldn't be a problem, since methane isn't a byproduct of burning natural gas.

Leaks however, yeah, wow. That leak in CA is gutwrenching.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Trabisnikof posted:

Peabody declared bankruptcy!

John Prine laughs last.

http://youtu.be/f2keQVXn36M

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Pander posted:

Which shouldn't be a problem, since methane isn't a byproduct of burning natural gas.

Leaks however, yeah, wow. That leak in CA is gutwrenching.

There was a study recently showing most of the Natural Gas rigs are likely leaking way more than they are supposed to, which is part of the issue.

lapse
Jun 27, 2004

Edit: Oops wrong thread

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

There was a study recently showing most of the Natural Gas rigs are likely leaking way more than they are supposed to, which is part of the issue.

For conventional or shale plays? Because they don't hold a whole bunch of gas back before they are completed anyways.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
25% less electricity usage for every household on the planet with this one weird trick.

https://youtu.be/jwt0LK7KZ4w

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

crabcakes66 posted:

25% less electricity usage for every household on the planet with this one weird trick.

https://youtu.be/jwt0LK7KZ4w

:wow:

This is like some seriously breathtakingly stupid poo poo. This is "you will get better data bandwidth if you straighten all your cables because then the ones won't get stuck on the edges and can flow freely like the zeros" levels of stupid.

...It's going to make millions, won't it :eng99:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Moinkmaster posted:

:wow:

This is like some seriously breathtakingly stupid poo poo. This is "you will get better data bandwidth if you straighten all your cables because then the ones won't get stuck on the edges and can flow freely like the zeros" levels of stupid.

...It's going to make millions, won't it :eng99:

It's a little too high maintenance. The real sellers are the audio crystals that you can tape to your cables to get more audio fidelity.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

computer parts posted:

It's a little too high maintenance. The real sellers are the audio crystals that you can tape to your cables to get more audio fidelity.

http://www.analogueseduction.net/category-755/harmonix-cable-support-945-1.html

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

computer parts posted:

That was a good fplus episode.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

computer parts posted:

Actually, this is done all of the time in electronics to reject radio interference in cables. You probably own multiple cables with crystals (well, the material is polycrystalline, not single crystalline) attached to them.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrite_bead

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

computer parts posted:

Just don't forget to charge them up regularly by finding some guys on Craigslist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

silence_kit posted:

Actually, this is done all of the time in electronics to reject radio interference in cables. You probably own multiple cables with crystals (well, the material is polycrystalline, not single crystalline) attached to them.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrite_bead

Er, what he's talking about is literally loose quartz crystals, sometimes in little ziploc baggies and sometimes just on their own, or sometimes sealed in a big plastic case that you place on top of your speaker.