Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Ofaloaf posted:

Deitscherei. Literally just "Pennsylvania Dutch Country" in Pennsylvania Dutch, 'cos I was spergin' out about all that when Pennsylvania was being added in.

But yeah, Anabaptists kinda suffer from being both Christian and being one of the things added real early on, so it's comparatively underdeveloped by the standards of the mod.

It's fitting for Mennonites to have a mechanically sparse religion.

Things like religious head shenanigans, Crusade analogs, and multiple holy orders are worldly and frivolous things unbefitting good Christians :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

I swear I had nothing to do with this:

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
That Empire has some deathstacks.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
I've been playing my first Conclave game and like it so far.

There seems to be an unrelated quirk of the combat system that keeps cropping up though. The Abbasids have been sitting at 100% decadence for a while but every invasion has failed because the invading army can't organize its stacks. The invasion tends to split into many 6-7k stacks while the Abbasids, outnumbered on the whole, use 12-15k stacks. The Abbasid stack moves in to attack the most vulnerable target, while neighboring invasion stacks try to reinforce--but by the time they arrive the original battle is already in Pursuit phase so the extra 20k+ reinforcements do nothing at all, leading to the entire invasion army being scattered and then picked off one by one. Sometimes the invasion can win a few opening battles but eventually one of them turns out like this and the whole war falls apart.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
What the hell? I have never had as many invasions fail for no drat reason before. Does it fail if you're at war with the target before the invasion is called?

Because if so, that's some regular old bullshit to have invasions fail because you're called in by allies. Why the hell does that matter?

Brethren problems, goddamn. I just wanted to play norse, but actually in the ocean. Then they apparently can't hold non-coastal land without huge penalties, including one of their starting lands...

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I wanted to try out the Brethren, what kind of penalties are you talking about?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

SeaTard posted:

I wanted to try out the Brethren, what kind of penalties are you talking about?
Well, if you have inland provinces, they sometimes get an event saying "whoah your people can no longer hear the [deityname] and the sea! Have a -50% mod to taxes and 20% revolt chance on top of what it probably diff culture/religion!"

And ya can't reform the Brethren, so nyeeeh. As if all their starts weren't annoying enough to begin with...

The poor Marx family, what with being one of something like 3 loving islands on the west coast and starting next to some of the biggest kingdoms around as a mere count.

You gotta wonder if there are some people in the team that are lolberts or something for that sorta hate.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
We're stupid but we're not lolberts

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Just started playing this game! I got pointed this way from the Stellaris thread, so I'll copy paste:

I've already had my CK2 built from scratch Irish kingdom start to collapse due to having no male heir and a sudden unexpected death of my leader. I had an amazingly pulled-off betrothal with the prince of Scotland, but the regent was a dick and let him leave court whereupon he became a bishop, mucking that up. Once the first daughter matured (less than a year later), she died within months of poison, but not before 3 separate revolts started.

Game good.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Skellybones posted:

We're stupid but we're not lolberts
Ah, well, it's just that one example making me frustrated, sorry for being unkind because on the whole I really dig the mod. Just wish that the poor family Marx wasn't doomed to eventually just get de-jured by the Californians. Maybe have a Brethren titular duchy title, like with Socotra?

Or maybe change some of the smaller Islands so that's there's at least 3 brothers of the Marx family? The brethren seem to have a tough enough time anyway, with not being just steamrolled by the natives in the north who seem to also have prepared invasions and spawn lots of adventurers.

Or maybe just ignore it because it's working as planned, same as with lack of Panama canal~

Do brethren not spawn adventurers? Or is it just bias. And they don't seem to raid super much either, though once the ball gets rolling up near E-Canada, they sure do conquer, enough so that they get hit by a buncha rebellions for having inland stuff.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I just started another Ireland game because it was too long ago I united the green island.

Things are going really peachy (if being called "the Strange" because you read the whole Necronomicon is somehow peachy), but now I'm at an impasse. It's 1095 or so and I am still on gavelkind since I'm 47, my wife is 45 and I only had 1 son and 2 daughters. I thought succession was safe for another generation, but that old hag just won't stop spewing forth babies from her Occitan crotch, thrice-cursed be her name, and she gave me a second son at 45 years of age.

Now I worked hard to bring all my 5 counties in my personal demesne, so I'm not about to let the realm split. I promptly bought favors with my massive gold stockpile, and passed the feudal late administration law so I can choose a new inheritance model.

What should it be? I have a wonderful first born son and he's just about 17 while I'm 47 so primogeniture would be the obvious choice right now, while tanistry would put in power some old lovely cousin but might be clearly better in the long run.

I hate having to choose an inheritance law in this game.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 7, 2016

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Elective Monarchy is pretty good, keeps it in the family and lets you pick your heir while you are still small.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

TorakFade posted:

I just started another Ireland game because it was too long ago I united the green island.

Things are going really peachy (if being called "the Strange" because you read the whole Necronomicon is somehow peachy), but now I'm at an impasse. It's 1095 or so and I am still on gavelkind since I'm 47, my wife is 45 and I only had 1 son and 2 daughters. I thought succession was safe for another generation, but that old hag just won't stop spewing forth babies from her Occitan crotch, thrice-cursed be her name, and she gave me a second son at 45 years of age.

Oh that awful woman. Ck2 desperately needs a STOP loving interaction with your spouse

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
There is one. The icon is a dagger.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
There's a reason it's always possible to plot to murder your spouse.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Sindai posted:

There's a reason it's always possible to plot to murder your spouse.

Yeah but look at her stats. She is the reason I own most of south ireland, she absolutely owns and singlehandedly doubled my stats. This is also reflected in her superhuman fertility sadly, couldn't she make another girl? Why had it to be a boy? :argh:

Oh well, eventually a change in succession was going to be necessary, guess I just go elective since my baron vassals better vote for my nominated heir or else.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

The Cheshire Cat posted:

There is one. The icon is a dagger.

i just lock her up and throw her rear end in the oubliette the second she gets pregnant personally

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
When you're angry that your wife is having kids, the best response is not to stop impregnating her, but to jail or murder her.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Chief Savage Man posted:

When you're angry that your wife is having kids, the best response is not to stop impregnating her, but to jail or murder her.

Also if she isn't having kids

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Or having the wrong kind of kids

mornhaven
Sep 10, 2011
Or having someone else's kids.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Or is over the age of 42.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Or because you're playing Tanistry and the guy who inherits is married to a slow, syphilitic first cousin who hates him.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Main Paineframe posted:

Does losing give you a game over? If not, just let the loss happen, and spend some time as a vassal while saving up money and cultivating alliances for your chance to strike. The downside to event troops is that they're unreplenishable and sometimes temporary - once you lose them, they're gone forever, and that means you can't count on having them later when the guys you just conquered rebel against you.

Thank you for the tip. I actually ended up offering fealty to a crappy Lord which cancelled the invasion and then stabbed him in the back the moment a rebellion broke out to get my Independence back.

I have basically taken over England and Wales and have a stable kingdom but expansion is now difficultyand it's just after 1000AD with claims being expensive and no more holy wars against pagans for quick land grabs.

I have tried the marriage route but I am not sure I am doing this right? I am currently trying to marry male kids to female heirs of other kingdoms and marry my female kids matrimonially to male claimants.

Do I keep doing this ad nauseum until I get lucky?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Just made 1200 gold from defeating the Caliph in a holy war.
I'm sure another revolt or two are imminent for that newly-bankrupt rear end in a top hat.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

MikeC posted:

Do I keep doing this ad nauseum until I get lucky?

Basically yes.

Keep an eye on claims that can be pressed in war so you can plonk one of your dynasty on a throne.

If you have elective you can fairly easily engineer the heir of the other country to also become your heir (gift them a barony/ county if you need to get them to show up in your 'heir selection screen' on elective succession.

Alternatively and somewhat quicker is to invite claimants, marry/matri-marry so your dynasty is in control (if they're already married then :hist101: spouse), give them a barony/ county and push claim. Voilą they are now your vassal.

Wipe hands on pants and repeat.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Question: Is there a master doc of all the changes and poo poo with After the End? Like, I have no idea what is up with the different cultures (the only special ones seem to be the not-Norse? Who has tanistry, if any?) or religions (What the heck is up with half of them, tbh?)

And do I need to edit my basegame to get the enatic laws active? I feel like there deffo should be more of them, but I don't know if they just changed that around.

Also, hah, the Ursuline bishop list being empty is a known problem right? Probs a hard-coded problem, so eh. It sure would be sweet being able to seduce the Arch Abbess for that sweet money and claims, if claims weren't stupidly broken and it being impossible to set up anti-abbesses or set investure as free, even though I supposedly have it...

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Question: Is there a master doc of all the changes and poo poo with After the End? Like, I have no idea what is up with the different cultures (the only special ones seem to be the not-Norse? Who has tanistry, if any?) or religions (What the heck is up with half of them, tbh?)

And do I need to edit my basegame to get the enatic laws active? I feel like there deffo should be more of them, but I don't know if they just changed that around.

Also, hah, the Ursuline bishop list being empty is a known problem right? Probs a hard-coded problem, so eh. It sure would be sweet being able to seduce the Arch Abbess for that sweet money and claims, if claims weren't stupidly broken and it being impossible to set up anti-abbesses or set investure as free, even though I supposedly have it...

I could set up a male anti-Abbess (and press his claim), so it's probably hard-coding issues, yeah.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
It's a shame, because it gives you another avenue to use daughters as a christian, other than alliance fodder or claim-marriage/siege-leader trapping.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
If you click on a title and go to the title screen there's a "Claimants" button. Marry claims tyat can be passed to children (hover over it to see if it will) and start assassinating monarchs or ask the pope for an invasion if you want to press a weak claim or just press it if it's strong.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

mornhaven posted:

Or having someone else's kids.
Pff, who cares. Unless you're running gavelkind, kids just means more chances for conquest, claims, possible heirs and more.

Doesn't matter where they come from, rosebushes, other dudes, satan, more kids means more opportunities.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Well, the "satan" one might come with some other complications, but in general I'd agree.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

CrazyLoon posted:

Just constantly backup the changed files outside the directory and re-paste whatever the new patch didn't update (which you can tell by the last date updated).

Granted, it's not perfect and you'll still need to run through all the files and manually re-insert your lines wherever it did change, but it's a helluva lot better than what you're doing.

Been trying this, can't figure out why my mod just insta-crashes to desktop. I've tried deleting folders/files to see if one thing is wrong, but nothing seems to change. :smith:

Honestly it's easier to just scrap everything and start fresh, especially after two expansions have dropped in that time. And a third rounding the corner. :smithicide:

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Been trying this, can't figure out why my mod just insta-crashes to desktop. I've tried deleting folders/files to see if one thing is wrong, but nothing seems to change. :smith:

Honestly it's easier to just scrap everything and start fresh, especially after two expansions have dropped in that time. And a third rounding the corner. :smithicide:

:sympathy:

It's the main reason, why I soon learned to mod very very gradually and add and test one thing at a time meself. Tho then again, because of that lower intensity, I also tend to forget more specific poo poo like how to properly add on-action triggers that tie into events a couple months later agh! So yeah, that's my own pain right now. Put a nice event trigger (not even random, to see if it finds it) side-by-side with working ones, even write the events next to the working ones in the same files, double-check all the things...and yet somewhere somehow there's a piece of poo poo detail I must've missed, because it never works while previous ones I modified are written just like it but do work blah. :bang:

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 11, 2016

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I've had this game for forever but haven't really put much time into it. I'm on a feudal kick lately and want to give it a fair shake. I've done the standard 'start in ireland and conquer that' thing before but it was ages ago.
I just started a game as Prince Ludwig the Younger in 867 and have no idea what to be doing, really. I declared on the tribal people in Saxony and got steamrolled so I loaded the save again, that doesn't seem like a good idea. I married a woman with a claim to the duchy of Saxony, hoping she gives me a child soon. If I were to declare war on the Duke of Saxony, my brother in law, would our mutual liege (who is my father) help him or me?
Also Count Werner of Pfalz's title is about to pass from my realm, what do I do about that? Will improving relations with my father help me in any way?

The only other thing I can think of to do is try to kill my older brother, the King of Bavaria, to become the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of East Francia. He's a king in his own right, would anything happen if he were to inherit the other kingdom? Would they then both go through the same line of succession that I'd be pretty much completely shut out from? I'm trying to bribe people with gifts and titles who would help with the plot to kill him but it's very difficult to get them to accept. Is there a way to improve the likelihood of someone joining my plot other than gifts and granting them titles, if they're in my realm? What else can I do to advance my position in the world?

Edit: Okay my dad died, leaving the kingdom to my brother and me with just a duchy. My brother has only one child. If I kill the little bastard I should be next in line, right? What's the best way to get my plots powered up?

double edit: well I just betrothed my firstborn daughter to my brother to hopefully get at least a piece of the pie somewhere down the line

I have all of the DLC leading up to Charlemagne and nothing after, I think.

Gay Horney fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 12, 2016

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
To bump your plots up, my preferred way is to take the Seduction focus and try to seduce every woman (or man) in the court of the person I'm trying to stab. Extra bonus if you can seduce the Spymaster.
[edit]Ugh, I've just noticed you may not have Way of Life. So my advice would be to get Way of Life.

While playing as Sweden, I was able to make Charlemagne my tributary. Which was funny, if not particularly useful for anything.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Wow, I actually bothered looking at the college of cardinals again and boy howdy, they managed to set up a system where your own cardinals don't even vote for who you want, you can't ask others to support your votes, actually getting your pope elected is good for maybe a few claims and some dosh if you have the piety and uhhh, if it's of your dynasty you get 1 piety extra a month.

Like, jesus christ, how do you manage to make a system that's less interactive than the one from Medieval: Total War 2, a game that came out ten years ago and is mostly about giving your spies the plague and war elephants?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

5,000 income, +100 a month balance. Finally making gently caress you money. Got some more :ese: work left to cut down on those family dues, but this is already getting ridiculously OP. Feels like every time I look I have another 1,000 gold in the bank.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only
Is that... Norse holdings and the caliphate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Since people preferred more substantial content, dev diaries are on hold until May 17th.

• Locked thread