Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah it's only matchmaking/ghosts/messages that are on dedicated servers. Actual co-op/pvp is still p2p.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

BlackFrost posted:

I occasionally get random Estus Flask refills out of nowhere, anyone know what causes that or is it a time-based thing?

certain enemies, i think maybe the red-eye knight guys?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Died once on the Undead Settlement boss, I'm done for tonight.

DS3 is almost certainly going to be my favorite Souls game. It's goddamn fantastic.

Also, shout out to everyone who's playing PVP Police. :3: Got my butt saved twice by the convenient arrival of a blue phantom.

Edit: one of those phantoms straight-up plunging attacked the red I was kiting. I forgot to make a note of the name, but whoever that was gets 11/10.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Apr 12, 2016

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

DS3 is almost certainly going to be my favorite Souls game. It's goddamn fantastic.

yeah i thought i would miss powerstancing but weapon arts makes up for that and more

Ellipson
Sep 14, 2007

everything's cool

The Gorp posted:

Need help.
Is there any pattern to the Crystal Sages teleports? Do the crystals he leaves behind when warping give some indication or what?

Also there's a stat on my character called "hollowing" and its at 99.
What does this mean and what do I do about it.

Not that I'm aware of. I just rushed him down as quickly as I could. The longer he stays *up* the harder the fight is.

EDIT: Covenant stuff: Blue Sentinels still doesn't ever proc a counter-invade! I've had the covenant since I found it and not one counter-invade in 3 hours.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Just beat an evil oak tree boss. Fucker killed me 20 times, I swear. I ate its soul out of spite. I now have no clue where to go.

In the meantime, the search continues for my beloved winged spear (or just a really good spear). The halberd has been great so far, but I long for my old friend.

I have also noticed that new armor is hard to come by. Any one know of some good finds?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

The Skeleton King posted:

Just beat an evil oak tree boss. Fucker killed me 20 times, I swear. I ate its soul out of spite. I now have no clue where to go.

In the meantime, the search continues for my beloved winged spear (or just a really good spear). The halberd has been great so far, but I long for my old friend.

I have also noticed that new armor is hard to come by. Any one know of some good finds?

can't you get a partizen really early on?

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Skeleton King posted:

That boss makes a not terrible spear.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Thankfully This game is really good. Your an idiot if you dont like or if for some reason technical issues or life cirumstances are keeping you from playing it. B00yah

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Dammit I plinked at that stupid dragon for like 5 minutes and all I got out of it was a freaking large titanite piece :argh:

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
big tree boss was cool and fun once I figured it out, a good puzzle fight. But now I'm in creeper woods. With log men and terrifying fast megacrabs. christ

Also, how do I quit the game without alt-f4ing? my brother whos a drat UX designer couldnt figure it out and neither could I

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Is there a good summary out there of new gameplay features without actual encounter/covenant spoilers or anything like that. I'm thinking along the lines of how DS2 added in that dual wielding power stance and stuff, how in Dark 1 Faith was so much more useful as an offensive tree than it was in Demons' Souls.

Anything you'd want to know when you were making your character and planning your build.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

big tree boss was cool and fun once I figured it out, a good puzzle fight. But now I'm in creeper woods. With log men and terrifying fast megacrabs. christ

Also, how do I quit the game without alt-f4ing? my brother whos a drat UX designer couldnt figure it out and neither could I

Last tab on the start menu. Your borthers a bad UX designer whatever that is

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Does the area past the big fire demon guy in the undead settlement double back on anything? I got past it into another tower and there were more enemies with a chapel looking thing, and the path seemed to go back into a village but I died and I can't seem to find a way that leads there unless I'm supposed to go all the way around through the tower again?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

have you considered hitting escape/start and going into the menus?

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

start/esc > press left> exit game

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

BlackFrost posted:

I occasionally get random Estus Flask refills out of nowhere, anyone know what causes that or is it a time-based thing?

Have you left messages anywhere?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So these big knight guys in the first real area, I can't back stab them apparently. Can they be parried? The ones with a shield are pain in my rear end because the shield is big and blocks most of the damage.

EDIT: Oh. Cool. The big mutating guy respawns every time. I thought he was a miniboss. Is there a shortcut I can unlock or something?

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Apr 12, 2016

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Baron posted:

Game runs great for me. I have a 970 and an old rear end i5. I have everything maxed out and it looks amazing! I am getting the stutter when it autosaves, however.

I am also getting my rear end handed to me. The crazy mutant on the roof fucks me up unless I hurl fireballs at it. I started as a pyromancer and I haven't found any cool weapons yet, and I don't want to waste my one fire shard on the axe...

Just past the second bonfire in the first non-tutorial/firelink area? I just ran past that fucker. He's killed me three or four times before I gave up and started dashing past him. He still moves at "zombie chump" speed.

Also, holy poo poo the weapon ability/mana systems are cool. I've really started loving the "Stance" skill that the Broadsword has. Light attack chumps anyone holding a shield, heavy attack is a nice dash for a fuckton of damage and stumble that I've found especially useful on a couple enemies. Scimitar's flashy as gently caress but not really good (do a power attack after you do the special attack and you do some crazy spinning slash in air). Rapier's got some crazy rear end poo poo, basically you can dodge then counter-attack or go full on Ricard's Rapier. And I just found the whip which is blatantly a PvP weapon since it's crazy attack can whip around shields AND gimps stamina gain.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Oh my god the new nvidia drivers just bricked my 970. Had to boot into safe mode to get it to boot to windows and uninstall the drivers, the system won't even recognize the GPU anymore and nor does any of the recent nvidia driver installations. Wow.

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide
A very quick test before work revealed that my gtx960m and i7-4720hq can handle the first area on high settings. Is the first area just unusually easy on laptop hardware or can I keep playing on high for the whole game?

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Any reports on how the co-op/PVP works?

Is it still really wonky netcode poo poo with lagstabs and warping players? I hope not.

I also heard Bloodborne had some really dumb co-op thing where you needed a specific consumable item to do any sort of co-op? DS2 had soul memory and you were practially forced to use the name rings if you wanted to play with a specific friend of yours. What Ireally liked about DS2 co-op though was the small soapstone and the fact that you get fully restored if you help out someone successfully.

What's the situation on DS3?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Its throwing me off so much that being thrown on the ground doesn't make you invincible in this game. I keep lying for a second before thinking "wait poo poo I can still be killed!".

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Internet Kraken posted:

Its throwing me off so much that being thrown on the ground doesn't make you invincible in this game. I keep lying for a second before thinking "wait poo poo I can still be killed!".

yeah that's gotten me killed a few times before remembering "poo poo I NEED TO ROLL"

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Gortarius posted:

Is it still really wonky netcode poo poo with lagstabs and warping players? I hope not.

I also heard Bloodborne had some really dumb co-op thing where you needed a specific consumable item to do any sort of co-op? DS2 had soul memory and you were practially forced to use the name rings if you wanted to play with a specific friend of yours. What Ireally liked about DS2 co-op though was the small soapstone and the fact that you get fully restored if you help out someone successfully.

What's the situation on DS3?

+ or - 10 levels (going up to 15/20 at 50 and 100, i believe)
+ or - 2 weapon levels
soul memory is no longer a thing
can only be invaded or summon phantoms if you're embered but embers are VERY plentiful

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

yeah the giant dudes with the cooking pots pancaked me a few times before i started remembering that

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I always use the Claymore as my main weapon for new Souls game playthroughs and I'm very happy to see that it's just as kickass in this game :3: I still can't figure out how scaling works in this game though, both STR and DEX just seems to give +1 attack power regardless of what the scaling is on the weapon.

Also, since no one answered earlier; does anyone know at what point Titanite Shards become purchasable? I'm obviously upgrading my Claymore, but I'd love to also try out the Rapier and other cool stuff I come across.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Gortarius posted:

In my experience out of 10 or so invasions, all of them at 2 or more white phantoms, 2 or 3 of them had wonky lag with extendoblades that went about twice as far as they should have, and then one where I couldnt even see the guys invaded and they were cutting me the gently caress up.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

What does the dual wielding attacks get you from the dual scimitars (L1)? It seems to consume twice as much stamina but not do any more damage. I was thinking it hit a wider arc or something but my normal one handed R1 swings seem to hit everything around me.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Also, shout out to everyone who's playing PVP Police. :3: Got my butt saved twice by the convenient arrival of a blue phantom.

Edit: one of those phantoms straight-up plunging attacked the red I was kiting. I forgot to make a note of the name, but whoever that was gets 11/10.

I wish it would summon me, instead I'm stuck beating up people invading me. I crave JUSTICE :argh:

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

Nuebot posted:

EDIT: Oh. Cool. The big mutating guy respawns every time. I thought he was a miniboss. Is there a shortcut I can unlock or something?

If your talking about the one on the roof in the High Wall area, just run straight across to the ladder and climb down.

Played for 6 hours on an i5-3570 with 8GB RAM and a GTX 660ti with no crashes or anything (though, I was playing as Knight, which seems to be a cure-all.) So if you've got better than that it should work.

As much as I love Souls games, I'm terrible at them and have only finished DS1. But I feel like I got a lot further than I expected tonight. I think playing Bloodborne helped teach me the ways of dodging, and that helped a ton. It's been a lot of fun so far.

I've gotten a good ways into the Undead Settlement and it seems like I've got about 4 different ways I can go. I'm loving going into a Souls game completely blind and just exploring instead of checking a guide for where I'm supposed to be going next. I now wish I had done that with the prior games.

Hating the evangelists so much.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Think I finally found a weapon I'll use for awhile. Thrall axe is a fun little hatchet that has the dash art, which seems insanely useful. Especially if you aren't using a shield. Gonna have a hard time using a weapon without one, as I keep finding more and more uses for the dash.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Am I right in thinking using the starting fire stone to infuse a weapon early on will be give more damage until I've levelled my stats up? Can i uninfuse a weapon?

Is it possible for me to force the game to stay at 30fps? I've only got a geforce 760

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

In my experience out of 10 or so invasions, all of them at 2 or more white phantoms, 2 or 3 of them had wonky lag with extendoblades that went about twice as far as they should have, and then one where I couldnt even see the guys invaded and they were cutting me the gently caress up.

Hmm, very reassuring. I never got into PvP in any of these titles only because of the horrible netcode. I mean, I was really poo poo to begin with in PvP, but the network stuff is what erally killed it. But at the very least Co-op has always seemed to work just fine. I really don't understand how that is possible but maybe you just don't notice it as much when you fight regular enemies as opposed to being lagstabbed from 3 meters away from the front side.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm glad to see that the messaging system is already being used for butt jokes

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Anyone know where I can get a better weapon any time soon? I love Great Swords or even Ultra Great Swords, this starting sword just doesn't do it for me and I'm not sure I really want to go whole hog and put the points into Dex right now or not to wield the katana.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Nuebot posted:

So these big knight guys in the first real area, I can't back stab them apparently. Can they be parried? The ones with a shield are pain in my rear end because the shield is big and blocks most of the damage.

There's an elevator not too much past him, or yeah, you can book it.

Or just invest his soul value in arrows every time and plink his rear end to death from the top of the ladder. :v:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I've been using the finger at every bonfire. The two times I was embered, I got invaded right away. Now that I'm not embered, I never get invaded :shrug:

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

All I know is, the first person who summoned me literally did not display any animations ever. he and the enemies just glided everywhere. It was comical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...
Do fire weapons scale with INT/FTH this time around? If it did it was negligible in DS1+2 but I want to see if using my fire stone as a burial item early on for a quality build would give it a decent boost, or should I not bother because it's more for magic users this time?