Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

I'm untouchable thanks to these pills.
Yo, I just got a Ring of Sacrifice. Is this thing like in Souls 2 and you can repair it if it gets busted? Also is it mega expensive to repair???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

apparently burning a shard does the same thing as burning an acetic in DS2....but it also boosts how stronk your sunnyd is

i do not like that.

Are you sure? I don't think so.

Bonfire Ascetics in DS2 were per-zone, per-bonfire.

The Bone Shards are only for the central Firelink bonfire, if it upgraded the level of enemies in the entire game, that'd be pretty rough. I mean it could be that way, being souls and all, but I'm not convinced.

Just because it says "bonfire level 2" doesn't mean anything; DS1 said that too didn't it, for how many flasks you got per that bonfire?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Think I finally found a weapon I'll use for awhile. Thrall axe is a fun little hatchet that has the dash art, which seems insanely useful. Especially if you aren't using a shield. Gonna have a hard time using a weapon without one, as I keep finding more and more uses for the dash.

can you attack instantly after dashing? if so i guess i can see it being useful as a quick-roll

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

samu3lk posted:

Yo, I just got a Ring of Sacrifice. Is this thing like in Souls 2 and you can repair it if it gets busted? Also is it mega expensive to repair???

It's gone forever once it breaks.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Gotta remake my character because locked out of the mound makers coool

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

samu3lk posted:

Nope, it disappears from your inventory when consumed.

For me, a sunbro helped me one-shot the Greatwood, but from what I'm seeing, I did the Settlement all out of order. Sheesh, I love this game.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...
Do crystal lizards not respawn if you don't kill them and they teleport away?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Apparition posted:

Do fire weapons scale with INT/FTH this time around? If it did it was negligible in DS1+2 but I want to see if using my fire stone as a burial item early on for a quality build would give it a decent boost, or should I not bother because it's more for magic users this time?

Fire is static bonus damage, no scaling. There's another thing later on that is INT/FTH scaling.

LOTS of infusions in DS3, like DeS. Way more than DS1/DS2.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

GreyPowerVan posted:

can you attack instantly after dashing? if so i guess i can see it being useful as a quick-roll

Yeah, but the thing that differentiates it from a roll is it interrupts a lot of enemy animations. So you can dash into a group of enemies to stagger them and then start slashing them up. Also I think when staggered you can dash away at times you wouldn't be able to roll.

Fat_Cow posted:

Gotta remake my character because locked out of the mound makers coool

huh?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I'm glad the Dark Souls mainstay rings are in.

Chloranthy Ring and Havel's Ring

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

If you kill the tree you cannot join until way way later. But it seems either if you harm the purple invader or the other hacksaw guy (i don't know which ) the basket guy is aggroed and won't let you in his basket

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I'm glad the Dark Souls mainstay rings are in.

Chloranthy Ring and Havel's Ring

I've noticed there's a lot of items brought back from all the games from Demons Souls and up, it's pretty fun and nostalgic :)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Fat_Cow posted:

If you kill the tree you cannot join until way way later. But it seems either if you harm the purple invader or the other hacksaw guy (i don't know which ) the basket guy is aggroed and won't let you in his basket

Oh that guys a covenant leader?

I killed him because I thought he was a gibberish NPC :cripes:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

He's not a covenant leader but he takes you to the covenant.

Pretty sure there's a way to get in later on, its no biggie, just keep playing. Plenty of other poo poo to worry about than that one covenant.

You're supposed to mess up lots of quests on your first souls run. That's how it goes if you aren't playing with the guide/wiki every step of the way. Gives you things to do in NG+.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
whats the story with this 1.1 patch im hearing about? is it the release patch or does it come out tomorrow, or is it even real?

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

i temporarily locked myself out of that covenant by killing the tree too soon as well. glad they added a second way to get it.

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.
There any early place to get a spear outside of relying on lucky drops?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Apparition posted:

Do crystal lizards not respawn if you don't kill them and they teleport away?
They respawn.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Edwhirl posted:

You can free a thief from a cell in the walls area. He'll teleport back to your hub and sell various weapons and items, including spears.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Edwhirl posted:

IIRC the merchant old woman sells one

Either that or there's another merchant you can unlock in the High Wall of Lothric that sells one

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

GreyjoyBastard posted:

There's an elevator not too much past him, or yeah, you can book it.

Or just invest his soul value in arrows every time and plink his rear end to death from the top of the ladder. :v:

I have arrows but no bow. Anyway turns out I'm not far from the boss apparently. Just run from the fat guy downstairs and I'm there. I think at least. Sadly I have no estus because I got hit by poo poo and now am considering just going back and then trying again. Does the big guy respawn by and by? He's kind of an rear end in a top hat. At one point I had him fall down a ledge but his spear can go through all physics objects and kill me.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Where can I get my hands on an Estoc?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Bone shards up my estus efficacy at a particular bonfire I'm at or all bonfires?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I bought the key for the shrine is the fire keepers soul all ya get?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
how far into the game do I have to wait until I can get an ultra greatsword/hammer

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I shove the souls in to use the katana, turns out it does way less damage than my sword. Bummer, oh well I upgraded the sword I found and now off to kill this jackass, hopefully I can make it to him without getting my poo poo kicked in this time.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
After all that trouble getting my controller to work...worth it.

Very, very nice game. Solid, non-floaty controls & character movement, smooth framerate, and the hub is functionally better than Demon's Souls without being out of place like Majula. Crisp, responsive, and beautiful. If the first 6.5 hours I played are indicative of the quality I can expect throughout, I am optimistic.

It's like giving me the plunger for the morphine.

And the Uchigatana guy was a nice touch. I have no idea what he was doing there, but at least you won't have to hear all the stories about killing the undead merchant this time around. You want that sword - work for it, bway.

KaiserSchnitzel fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Apr 12, 2016

Finlands Sexiest
Feb 26, 2007
Do you get hit points back if someone appraises your message?

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

What does Hollowing do? Should I bother reversing it?

Also, how do I get down to this area:

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
This game'd be a lot better without the stutters every time it saves.

Anyone on a platter drive getting that? Because everyone I know has an SSD

Or anyone playing it offline?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I'm on the fence about this game. I've enjoyed all of the From Souls type games to a certain extent, but I've only beaten Dark Souls 2, and that has a lot to do with playing while the game was well populated. I reinstalled DS1 on Steam to get myself hype, but I just got to Capra Demon and it's sucking the fun out of the game. Is there anything in the first few hours of DS3 that is complete and utter bullshit in the way Capra Demon is? Because kind of 'challenge' can gently caress right off.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

Where can I get my hands on an Estoc?

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Bone shards up my estus efficacy at a particular bonfire I'm at or all bonfires?

CharlestheHammer posted:

I bought the key for the shrine is the fire keepers soul all ya get?

Jose posted:

how far into the game do I have to wait until I can get an ultra greatsword/hammer

Im sure youll find out all this stuff if you keep playing. Have Fun. This game is sweet

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Traxis posted:

What does Hollowing do? Should I bother reversing it?

Also, how do I get down to this area:

Hmm.. Keep lookinga round until you figure it out is my guess

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Internet Kraken posted:

Alright I feel dumb asking but; where do I go after reaching Firelink? I can't find a way forward. I killed the master but the gate behind him is locked. Explored upstairs, found another locked gate. Didn't find anything downstairs. I dunno where to goooooo :saddowns:

killed the what now? I mean I got stuck there for 20 minutes running down every tunnel and dead end and reading every plinth and talking to the blacksmith guy four times before I figured out to teleport to the real game. There's a gate? There's a master?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

DrNutt posted:

I'm on the fence about this game. I've enjoyed all of the From Souls type games to a certain extent, but I've only beaten Dark Souls 2, and that has a lot to do with playing while the game was well populated. I reinstalled DS1 on Steam to get myself hype, but I just got to Capra Demon and it's sucking the fun out of the game. Is there anything in the first few hours of DS3 that is complete and utter bullshit in the way Capra Demon is? Because kind of 'challenge' can gently caress right off.

Capra Demon is easy peasy

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Krinkle posted:

killed the what now? I mean I got stuck there for 20 minutes running down every tunnel and dead end and reading every plinth and talking to the blacksmith guy four times before I figured out to teleport to the real game. There's a gate? There's a master?

Look around some more and you will find the man known as the Master

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Leveling in this game is really really slow, even the couple of bosses I've fought have barely dropped any souls. It's especially noticeable when you come straight from DS2, since in that game you can be level 50 in under 2 hours, but I feel like it's even slower than DS1. I hope there's at least some kind of unlimited respec like in DS2 because the one thing I liked the least about DS1 is how you had to plan out your character ahead of time if you wanted to get all the stats you needed for a particular build. People like to say that stats don't matter much, but in my first playthrough of DS1 (my first Souls game) I had to start over from scratch at some point after the Lordvessel because my stats were so garbage I literally couldn't get further in the game.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

net cafe scandal posted:

Im sure youll find out all this stuff if you keep playing. Have Fun. This game is sweet

I searched the whole place that is why I am asking. I ain't asking what it does.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Your Computer posted:

Leveling in this game is really really slow, even the couple of bosses I've fought have barely dropped any souls. It's especially noticeable when you come straight from DS2, since in that game you can be level 50 in under 2 hours, but I feel like it's even slower than DS1. I hope there's at least some kind of unlimited respec like in DS2 because the one thing I liked the least about DS1 is how you had to plan out your character ahead of time if you wanted to get all the stats you needed for a particular build. People like to say that stats don't matter much, but in my first playthrough of DS1 (my first Souls game) I had to start over from scratch at some point after the Lordvessel because my stats were so garbage I literally couldn't get further in the game.

There [spoiler]is[/spoilter]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

I searched the whole place that is why I am asking. I ain't asking what it does.

Probably not, then