Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

net cafe scandal posted:

Capra Demon is easy peasy

Lol okay you're cool guy. Capra Demon is horseshit. Especially since the last time I played, everything after him was easy as gently caress until I hit blighttown. But for reals, is there a cheap bullshit luck stumbling block somewhere in the first few hours of 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost
What in the gently caress, intro area the first boss

Holy poo poo. Holy holy poo poo.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

DrNutt posted:

I'm on the fence about this game. I've enjoyed all of the From Souls type games to a certain extent, but I've only beaten Dark Souls 2, and that has a lot to do with playing while the game was well populated. I reinstalled DS1 on Steam to get myself hype, but I just got to Capra Demon and it's sucking the fun out of the game. Is there anything in the first few hours of DS3 that is complete and utter bullshit in the way Capra Demon is? Because kind of 'challenge' can gently caress right off.

If you beat DS2, you can easily beat Capra Demon. Just kill the dogs first and you'll have no problems.

Edit: but he is horseshit; you're not crazy.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

DrNutt posted:

Lol okay you're cool guy. Capra Demon is horseshit. Especially since the last time I played, everything after him was easy as gently caress until I hit blighttown. But for reals, is there a cheap bullshit luck stumbling block somewhere in the first few hours of 3?

Hes really easy, most people beat him first try.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

It's hard to say what people will find difficult. In the original Dark 1 thread back in the day there was a number of people losing their poo poo about the Capra demon, but then some of those people found much genuinely harder bosses to be no where near as big a problem.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I put this game on all low settings except Anti Aliasing and its probly the most beautiful game I ever played and at 60 fps too. From did a good job. I hope they fix the audio issues

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

net cafe scandal posted:

Probably not, then

Then that is a terribe worthless place.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

DrNutt posted:

I'm on the fence about this game. I've enjoyed all of the From Souls type games to a certain extent, but I've only beaten Dark Souls 2, and that has a lot to do with playing while the game was well populated. I reinstalled DS1 on Steam to get myself hype, but I just got to Capra Demon and it's sucking the fun out of the game. Is there anything in the first few hours of DS3 that is complete and utter bullshit in the way Capra Demon is? Because kind of 'challenge' can gently caress right off.

dodge to the right around him, not the left. this should allow you to get around the dogs and make it to the stairs. when you get up the stairs you only need to deal with the dogs from one direction and should be able to easily take them out and then be able to deal with capra on your own time.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

net cafe scandal posted:

Im sure youll find out all this stuff if you keep playing. Have Fun. This game is sweet

I looked it up. Thanks though. :shobon:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm almost considering just staying at base stats for the Claymore and pump all my stat points into Luck because I want all the item drops ever. Easily the most exciting thing for me in all RPGs/games with loot.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Then that is a terribe worthless place.

Probly not.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

net cafe scandal posted:

Hes really easy, most people beat him first try.

"Most people." Uh huh. Just kill the dogs. Oh, yeah, if you can get past him without getting stunlocked and killed in seconds. It's a horseshit fight and not fun and I'd just like to know if DS3 has something similar because it's honestly a deal breaker.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
also someone answer my question about patch 1.1

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

DrNutt posted:

"Most people." Uh huh. Just kill the dogs. Oh, yeah, if you can get past him without getting stunlocked and killed in seconds. It's a horseshit fight and not fun and I'd just like to know if DS3 has something similar because it's honestly a deal breaker.

It's not that hard.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Under the vegetable posted:

also someone answer my question about patch 1.1

AFAIK it's just coming out "soon".

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Your Computer posted:

I'm almost considering just staying at base stats for the Claymore and pump all my stat points into Luck because I want all the item drops ever. Easily the most exciting thing for me in all RPGs/games with loot.

If youll permit me to give you some advice, Luck isnt all that good for upping itemfind and probly not worth it if you're not utilizing luck scaling or bleed/poison damaage. There will be abundant means to increase itemfind later on to a much greater extent

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

DrNutt posted:

He's trolling.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

DrNutt posted:

dodge around him to the right. you should seriously be able to get around him and the dogs 9/10 times this way. if i roll to the left i get hit by everyone and stunlocked every time but if i make for the one clear spot and loop around to the steps i make it up there every time.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Just got to the Catacombs boss and all I have to say is that my fears about lame bosses has been clearly put to rest. :stare: That's metal as hell.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

DrNutt posted:

Not to be a dumb "get gud" elitist type, but you roll twice through the dogs and run up the stairs, than the dogs come at you and you free kill them.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

net cafe scandal posted:

Im sure youll find out all this stuff if you keep playing. Have Fun. This game is sweet

i found a greataxe on the corpse or something i killed at the first bonfire :getin:

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

DrNutt posted:

You have to fight 3 Capra Demons and 8 dogs in the first level in an area even smaller than the first game

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

net cafe scandal posted:

If youll permit me to give you some advice, Luck isnt all that good for upping itemfind and probly not worth it if you're not utilizing luck scaling or bleed/poison damaage. There will be abundant means to increase itemfind later on to a much greater extent

Alright squid, you've convinced me for now. I suppose it would also have been a bad idea to purposefully gimp myself in a new and really hard game on my first character.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
also once the dogs are dead if you have a 100 phys resist shield with decent stability you can block every one of capra's hits except the two-swords-at-once big swing.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Under the vegetable posted:

dodge to the right around him, not the left. this should allow you to get around the dogs and make it to the stairs. when you get up the stairs you only need to deal with the dogs from one direction and should be able to easily take them out and then be able to deal with capra on your own time.

Yeah, this is the strat I've been attempting. But I end up getting hit by something and then caught on level geometry or some poo poo and it only takes seconds to be completely hosed. I know how to beat Capra Demon, I want to know if there is something as lovely in the first few hours of the new game. I know this stuff is subjective but I'm just looking for some opinions.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
where the hell is titanite

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
its just a puzzle boss and it takes about a minute to get from the burg bonfire down to the boss room from the shortcut. if its frustrating just take a step back and try again later. it's very fiddly in those opening seconds but once you can get up the steps it gets much easier.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Afraid of Audio posted:

Upgrade items.

Edit: Oh hahah, "where". It's almost everywhere if you look hard enough and kill enough.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Afraid of Audio posted:

Dispersed throughout the game world, keep your eyes pealed

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
if you saved those black firebombs from the burg you could probably also use them and just toss one as soon as you walk in the boss door but ive never done it that way.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Holy crap this game. I'm going in pretty much blind for the best experience and am having an absolute blast. Got in about three hours of playtime tonight and have just made it a bit past the second bonfire in the first non-tutorial area (I don't know how linear the area is because I think there was another path from the first bonfire that I haven't explored yet). I managed to beat a certain crystal...lizard(?) on my first try but the tutorial boss schooled me hard. And so have the red caped Knights. And the hooded thieves. And the surprise gank squad of hollows.

I never played Demon's but the gameplay feels like the best of Dark Souls I and Bloodborne combined. Very fast but deliberate, weighty movement. Shields are a thing but turtling seems like suicide. I'm loving it :allears:

<edit> there was also what appeared to be a naked man made of beef jerky holding a katana. I gave him a wide berth.

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Apr 12, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Didn't really like the first real boss, but the tree is really drat cool. What a twisted design. Wish I could play more but I gotta sleep at some point.

Afraid of Audio posted:

I know Lothic Knights and the fat ladies can drop shards, if you just need one and are willing to grind.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

DrNutt posted:

Yeah, this is the strat I've been attempting. But I end up getting hit by something and then caught on level geometry or some poo poo and it only takes seconds to be completely hosed. I know how to beat Capra Demon, I want to know if there is something as lovely in the first few hours of the new game. I know this stuff is subjective but I'm just looking for some opinions.
I'm a couple of hours in and no I haven't seen anything like the Capra demon fight at all.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Oneiros posted:

Holy crap this game. I'm going in pretty much blind for the best experience and am having an absolute blast. Got in about three hours of playtime tonight and have just made it a bit past the second bonfire in the first non-tutorial area (I don't know how linear the area is because I think there was another path from the first bonfire that I haven't explored yet). I managed to beat a certain crystal...lizard(?) on my first try but the tutorial boss schooled me hard. And so have the red caped Knights. And the hooded thieves. And the surprise gank squad of hollows.

I never played Demon's but the gameplay feels like the best of Dark Souls I and Bloodborne combined. Very fast but deliberate, weighty movement. Shields are a thing but turtling seems like suicide. I'm loving it :allears:

Its soo good Yall.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Is Lightning Spear back at it's Dark1/Dark2 release state where it was actually usable several times, or is it like post nerf Dark2 where you can cast it maybe 3 times?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

LibbyM posted:

Is Lightning Spear back at it's Dark1/Dark2 release state where it was actually usable several times, or is it like post nerf Dark2 where you can cast it maybe 3 times?

I just picked it up but I can't use it. But I'd hope you can use it more than 3 times considering it uses FP now.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Just to confirm I am not crazy, the breakoff between fast roll/normal roll is <30% encumbrance and >30% correct?

Oh man your guy is way fatter than mine, did I gently caress up and miss a thickness slider somewhere? :(

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
You effectively have MP now, and it has it's own Estus Flask, so you can really pound out quite a lot of spells if that is your deal.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The only thing I'm not a fan of, which I hoped they wouldn't do, is that the roll is the DS1 roll. You literally shoot off the ground like you're wearing rocket boots, and it totally breaks :qq:MY IMMERSION:qq:. Dark Souls 2's rolls felt much more realistic, like your character was actually affected by gravity. It's a minor nitpick, but with how you control the character's left and right arm with the bumpers and such really give the Souls games a sort of "simulator" feel, and stuff like anti-gravity leaps feels contrary to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Boogaleeboo posted:

You effectively have MP now, and it has it's own Estus Flask, so you can really pound out quite a lot of spells if that is your deal.

Cool just need to find that fragrant ring then.